Pages:
Author

Topic: MtGox withdrawal delays [Gathering] - page 44. (Read 908602 times)

legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1059
August 29, 2014, 03:38:35 PM
[...]
I am sure that we can identify the stolen coins some day in the block chain. Let us work on this task in a constructive way.
They could be traced before another exchange/washing machine where they will be fiated or exchanged to other forks including anonymous ones. Community need the investigation but I see no movement to that direction. Does the japanese authorities need a direct claim to start investigate this epic theft?

At the moment there is no system that can collect and process information about the stolen coins in a purposeful way. Do not expect any help from the authorities with this, rather we have to support them. Thus, first of all we have to do our homework. News from my side I'll send over the list:

https://www.olivere.de/mailman/listinfo/gox-self-help

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003
August 29, 2014, 04:59:09 AM
[ ... ] What about the Bitcoin Foundation in cooperation with Japanese authorites? what do you think???
Because i think this way will find everything within a week....
True enough, and it would be great if the press could manage to pry something out on the police investigation. When there is a lack of any reporting, this creates the appearance of a cover-up, even when there can be very good reasons to keep things quiet.

Six months though is enough time to investigate any kind of fraud or theft. How about releasing some preliminary findings, and the addresses of the supposed rogue traders who made off with the bitcoins so the coins can be traced?

MtGox has the addresses to every Bitcoin they either lost or still have in their possession. By law, these addresses are now in the hands of the administrator, Nobuaki Kobayashi. If the Japanese police are actually investigating, they should have these addresses by now. SIX DAYS is enough time to do the research. There must be some sort of negotiation happening.

Well, we still have absolutely no clue as to what happened to those coins, not even when.   The only thing that seems fairly certain is that it was NOT an exploit of the malleability bug, as Mark claimed.  A study by some folks at MIT concluded that at most a couple hundred BTC could have been stolen that way, possibly none.

Knowing the blockchain addresses where the coins went to is only the first, relatively easy, step.  The real problem is identifying the owner of those addresses.  And by now the coins must have been throroughly mixed and scattered, so even if they are spent or sold it may be impossible to detect the operation and catch the thief.

before the heist, the coins must have moved many times for legitimate purposes (e.g. cold/hot wallet flow) while in MtGOX's possession.  Blockchain analysis cannot reveal when the chain of transactions stopped being MtGOX's housekeeping and became a theft.  For that the police will have to examine other logs, subpoena the internet providers for access logs, interrogate Mark and other workers, etc. 

It is quite possible, if not likely, that the heist was an inside job (i.e. an embezzlement rather than a theft), perhaps with accomplices among the staff workers, clients, and their friends.   If that is the case, it will take a lot of work to identify the culprits, determine their actions and roles, and collect evidence against them (bank records, phone calls, emails, skype logs, etc.)

It seems that many clients of MtGOX, even if not involved in the Great Heist, were using it for things that they would rather not have the police look at.  That is the declared reason of some (and, perhaps, the private reason of many others) for supporting the MtGOX revival projects by Sunlota nd others -- which make as much sense as digging up Nixon's corpse to enter him as Republican candidate for the US presidency. In particular, some clients support the revival because they hope (naively?) to use again their unverified accounts, which did not identify the owner.  Thus many clients would rather hinder the investigation than help it.

Charlie Shrem and Mark Karpelès were among the Founding Members of the Bitcoin Foundation.  Mark was eventually expelled, with visible reluctance, but Shrem (who may have used MtGOX for the "business" he is charged with) is still there, as well as several people which I would consider prime suspects in the case.

It is quite normal and apprpriate for the police to refuse giving out any information while an investigation is underway. 

Activity: 490
Merit: 500
August 29, 2014, 02:44:59 AM
MtGox has the addresses to every Bitcoin they either lost or still have in their possession. By law, these addresses are now in the hands of the administrator, Nobuaki Kobayashi. If the Japanese police are actually investigating, they should have these addresses by now. SIX DAYS is enough time to do the research. There must be some sort of negotiation happening.

You stand correct, however, due to the inefficiency of any 'official investigation', you have to multiply it with the bureaucracy factor. This varies, depending on your jurisdiction. In the Japanese case, I would think the factor would amount to something like 40, so expect some kind of conclusion after about 8 months.
Activity: 274
Merit: 250
August 29, 2014, 02:08:42 AM
[...]
I am sure that we can identify the stolen coins some day in the block chain. Let us work on this task in a constructive way.
Does the japanese authorities need a direct claim to start investigate this epic theft?
Japanese Goverment is supporting BITCOIN the way i see it and have to do something to clear the dirty clouds that Mark Karpeles left on the sky...
BUT!
as long as the "lost" bitcoins are not returning to the owners i think they loose points ...

as you said this is an EPIC THEFT.
What about the Bitcoin Foundation in cooperation with Japanese authorites? what do you think???

True enough, and it would be great if the press could manage to pry something out on the police investigation. When there is a lack of any reporting, this creates the appearance of a cover-up, even when there can be very good reasons to keep things quiet.

Six months though is enough time to investigate any kind of fraud or theft. How about releasing some preliminary findings, and the addresses of the supposed rogue traders who made off with the bitcoins so the coins can be traced?

BTW - keep making noise: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/just-been-goxxed-and-feeling-unheard-628191
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
August 28, 2014, 08:34:55 PM
[...]
Does the japanese authorities need a direct claim to start investigate this epic theft?
Japanese Goverment is supporting BITCOIN the way i see it and have to do something to clear the dirty clouds that Mark Karpeles left on the sky...
BUT!
as long as the "lost" bitcoins are not returning to the owners i think they loose points ...

What about the Bitcoin Foundation in cooperation with Japanese authorites? what do you think???

legendary
Activity: 1124
Merit: 1000
13eJ4feC39JzbdY2K9W3ytQzWhunsxL83X
August 28, 2014, 06:59:43 PM
[...]
They could be traced before another exchange/washing machine where they will be fiated or exchanged to other forks including anonymous ones. Community need the investigation but I see no movement to that direction. Does the japanese authorities need a direct claim to start investigate this epic theft?

BUT!

Activity: 217
Merit: 101
August 28, 2014, 04:35:26 PM
[...]
August 24, 2014, 07:40:39 AM
We will find the coins. Don't  worry. But I do not know if this will be a reason to cheer.
Unfortunately there seems to be many former MtGOX clients who absolutely do NOT want an independent investigation.  That is why proposals to "revive MtGOX"  (such as Sunlot's) have their support.

Sunlot already promised "full amnesty" to Gay-Bouchery and Jed McCaleb, in exchange for their support of their proposal; and they avoided to say whether they will investigate Mark's role.  The US lawsuit was also recalled by their intervention.   For all we know, if Sunlot revives MtGOX, they may even hire Mark to run it.

The "malleability bug" explanation has been debunked by some people at MIT.  It is highly likely that it was an inside job, and may have involved several people, including some MtGOX clients and people at other exchanges. 

And the Shrem Karpelès & Friends Foundation does not seem to regard bitcoin theft and embezzlement in general as a problem worthy of their attention.
legendary
August 24, 2014, 07:26:35 AM
lol, what a bunch of pussies you are.

I guess anyone can rob you and you won't care.

We care. But the problems are far bigger than many currently aware. It's a problem not only for those who have lost half a Million Bitcoins with Gox:

https://bitcoinfoundation.org/forum/index.php?/topic/1067-new-bitcoin-foundation-website-a-welcome-addition/#entry11948

We will find the coins. Don't  worry. But I do not know if this will be a reason to cheer.
Activity: 350
Merit: 255
August 24, 2014, 03:07:13 AM
lol, what a bunch of pussies you are.

I guess anyone can rob you and you won't care.

Internet generation. LOL
legendary
Activity: 1639
Merit: 1006
August 23, 2014, 09:16:10 AM
I am certain I will see my Mt Gox coins again, my YubiKey says so
legendary
August 23, 2014, 05:23:40 AM
Ah, right, you are the guys who got bullied at school and never fought back, hoping they will just get bored and "go away".

My school days a long time ago but I think bullying and murder are two different things.

If you really want to kill someone because of Bitcoins, you might like to meet a psychologist. Honestly. Threats does not help in the search for the lost coins.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1013
August 22, 2014, 07:57:49 PM
Serious question - why is Mark still alive?
Because we are not murderers.
Ah, right, you are the guys who got bullied at school and never fought back, hoping they will just get bored and "go away".
You are spineless, that's what you are.
I thought that most of MtGOX's  former clients were not particularly attracted to the idea of spending a couple decades in prison.  But there are exceptions, it seems.  Grin
Anyone trying to incite anonymous forum posters to get involved with violent crimes is almost certainly a cop trying to meet their arrest quota.

http://www.salon.com/2013/07/10/only_1_percent_of_terrorists_caught_by_fbi_are_real_partner/
August 22, 2014, 07:06:55 PM
I thought that most of MtGOX's  former clients were not particularly attracted to the idea of spending a couple decades in prison.  But there are exceptions, it seems.  Grin
August 22, 2014, 06:50:19 PM

legendary
August 22, 2014, 06:46:26 PM

August 22, 2014, 06:44:02 PM

Most of you were robbed of your livelihood and you will let this cretin walk?

Seriously, grow a spine. Why are cryptotards so high inhibition? I watched the video of the nerd protesting at headquarters and he couldn't even gut the fat pig.

What a loser. If someone took my money like that I'd go to hell and back to make them pay.
legendary
August 22, 2014, 06:37:31 PM
What this has to do with mtgoxrecovery.com?

Nothing. You wrote:

So am i missing something or everyone that took action on MtGox after some period stoped posting?Huh?

NO i'm not missing anything.. that is a fact!

I merely pointed out that we (gox-self-help) are still alive.  Smiley

Are you the same person?

No, I have nothing to do with mtgoxrecovery.

Why i have to register to view what is posted?

This has several reasons. I do not want to control postings. So its is better if it is not public on the web. I will publish most parts of the wiki soon.

and last since as i read you are still there why posts and updates stoped on mtgoxrecovery.com

No idea. Smiley
I think people have just a life.

I ask him a question on the in March. No answer yet.  Smiley

https://bitcoinfoundation.org/forum/index.php?/topic/775-lost-money-on-mtgox-join-us-to-help-press-legal-and-criminal-charges-against-mtgox-and-mark-karpeles/#entry9131n
legendary
Activity: 1124
Merit: 1000
13eJ4feC39JzbdY2K9W3ytQzWhunsxL83X
August 22, 2014, 04:13:40 PM
Come on people!!!

mtgoxprotest.com has stoped posting any news!!! I wonder why..... maybe because someone gave him his BTC back?HuhHuh Maybe......

savegox.com it has not updated its website since May!

and the same situation with the others ( the only active proposal as i see it is from BitOcean Japan)

So am i missing something or everyone that took action on MtGox after some period stoped posting?Huh?

We are still there:

Last we had a discussion about a letter sending to Nobuaki Kobayashi:

https://wiki.olivere.de/goxwiki/ClaimsGoxSelfHelp

If you want to do something the wiki needs some maintenance.

We will definitely try to get the TXouts of the stolen coins.

Greetings, i'm very happy to see such a reply.

But let me understand...
https://www.olivere.de/mailman/listinfo/gox-self-help   What this has to do with mtgoxrecovery.com?
Are you the same person?

Why i have to register to view what is posted?

and last since as i read you are still there why posts and updates stoped on mtgoxrecovery.com

Thanks!
legendary
August 22, 2014, 03:58:11 PM
Come on people!!!

mtgoxprotest.com has stoped posting any news!!! I wonder why..... maybe because someone gave him his BTC back?HuhHuh Maybe......

savegox.com it has not updated its website since May!

and the same situation with the others ( the only active proposal as i see it is from BitOcean Japan)

We are still there:

Last we had a discussion about a letter sending to Nobuaki Kobayashi:

https://wiki.olivere.de/goxwiki/ClaimsGoxSelfHelp

If you want to do something the wiki needs some maintenance.

We will definitely try to get the TXouts of the stolen coins.
Pages:
Jump to: