Pages:
Author

Topic: My 2,000 BTC is all gone :( - page 6. (Read 9000 times)

legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
February 15, 2013, 01:57:51 PM
that's called deflation: hold it until there is no other possibility. which is good for an asset but not for a currency.

What's the difference, really? I'll refuse to sell my appreciating stocks and commodities, just like I'll refuse to sell my appreciating Bitcoin... And most of the wealth out there is in assets, not USD...
legendary
February 15, 2013, 01:55:47 PM
This thread is precious in the light of all the screaming "deflationary currency prevents spending and will kill the economy!!!".

This, this, this!

It's an interesting psychological situation.  Because things become cheaper and cheaper as you go along, you think, "Wow, this car would have cost me 9000 BTC last year, but now I can buy it for only 1500 BTC, that's a steal!"  Nevermind that you'd be able to buy it for 375 BTC the next year.

Granted, had I waited two weeks, I could've had almost $10,000 more. Though it may have been just as likely that as soon as it had reached $22.5, it went down to $15 again.
legendary
Activity: 2856
Merit: 1520
Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206
February 15, 2013, 01:08:16 PM
This thread is precious in the light of all the screaming "deflationary currency prevents spending and will kill the economy!!!".

This, this, this!

It's an interesting psychological situation.  Because things become cheaper and cheaper as you go along, you think, "Wow, this car would have cost me 9000 BTC last year, but now I can buy it for only 1500 BTC, that's a steal!"  Nevermind that you'd be able to buy it for 375 BTC the next year.

that's called deflation: hold it until there is no other possibility. which is good for an asset but not for a currency.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
February 15, 2013, 12:58:47 PM

This, this, this!

Activity: 588
Merit: 500
February 15, 2013, 11:06:51 AM

This, this, this!

Activity: 42
Merit: 0
February 14, 2013, 08:36:15 PM
Isn't this a good thing? BTC rose so whenever you invested should be at least +50% by now
legendary
February 14, 2013, 08:24:43 PM
Nice car by the way. How many D cells does that thing take!  Grin
120 ?  http://imabattery.blogspot.com
Did you purposefully link to a blog that accepts Bitcoin donations?
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
February 14, 2013, 08:13:36 PM
So, my husband owns the house (the mortgage is in his name), but a few years ago we opened a HELOC (Home Equity Line of Credit) together, with both our names on it. Some time last summer, I borrowed $15,000 from the HELOC without really asking for permission or telling my husband about it. I told him eventually (he asked about it after seeing a transfer on the monthly statement). I used that entire $15,000 to invest in bitcoins, and bought about 2,000+ of them.
Anyway, as of last Sunday, it's all gone. No more 2,000+ BTC. All gone poof  Cry

You must have an understanding husband or you now use the new car to live in  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006
Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
February 14, 2013, 08:09:13 PM
Nice car by the way. How many D cells does that thing take!  Grin
120 ?  http://imabattery.blogspot.com
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
February 14, 2013, 04:20:04 PM
ITT: Attention-grabbing title to brag about an irresponsible gamble.
FTFY

anything wrong with that?

I don't think so!   It got my attention.

"Took $15,000 from husband to earn a car speculating on bitcoin" would've done it for me, too.

Not exactly "took from husband" as the HELOC is in both our names. It's more like "took money from join checking account without bothering to ask my husband." I hear it is a very frequent problems with guys who have wives (my SA goon friend's wife maxes out his cards all the damn time). At least my money wasn't being thrown away on something useless, and was put into what was a fairly secure investment at the time.

P.P.S. Not only am I the financial expert in the family (saved parents a few $10k through refinances and other financial tricks, bailed friends out financially, etc), I also fully fund my husband's IRA ever year, and let him keep the resulting $2,000 tax return that he gets from it (that's on top of the $500/paycheck I put into my own 401k. Retirement first, Bitcoin as a bonus second). I'm not all bad Cheesy

Great stuff, keep it up!
legendary
February 14, 2013, 03:49:39 PM
FTFY

I don't think so!   It got my attention.

"Took $15,000 from husband to earn a car speculating on bitcoin" would've done it for me, too.

Not exactly "took from husband" as the HELOC is in both our names. It's more like "took money from join checking account without bothering to ask my husband." I hear it is a very frequent problems with guys who have wives (my SA goon friend's wife maxes out his cards all the damn time). At least my money wasn't being thrown away on something useless, and was put into what was a fairly secure investment at the time.

P.P.S. Not only am I the financial expert in the family (saved parents a few $10k through refinances and other financial tricks, bailed friends out financially, etc), I also fully fund my husband's IRA ever year, and let him keep the resulting $2,000 tax return that he gets from it (that's on top of the $500/paycheck I put into my own 401k. Retirement first, Bitcoin as a bonus second). I'm not all bad Cheesy
donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
February 14, 2013, 03:14:58 PM
FTFY

I don't think so!   It got my attention.

legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1004
February 14, 2013, 02:59:54 PM
FTFY

I don't think so!   It got my attention.
legendary
February 14, 2013, 02:13:57 PM
Nicely done Rassah!  Ignore the naysayers - they're just jealous they didn't do the same.  Smiley
donator
February 14, 2013, 02:08:22 PM
FTFY

legendary
February 14, 2013, 02:03:46 PM
you got a good approach there. at least looking back it has worked well. i think it will in the future, too

I'm sure it will. Soon as the Bitcoin euphoria dies down a bit, and prices come down to whatever levels I figure are reasonable, hubby already asked me to do this again to help pay off his new (bought a year ago) car. No idea when the Bitcoin rollercoaster will reach the top though.
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1004
February 14, 2013, 01:55:43 PM
FTFY
donator
February 14, 2013, 12:59:32 PM
Rassah, did you pay capital gains tax on the $15,000?

Americans and their cars... why not just keep 1000 BTC and stay in the game?

Nope. Won't have to until April a year from now.
I need a car to drive to work, and mine is almost dead, so...
Also, I'm still in the game. The bitcoins I sold were only the ones I bought with the $15,000 I borrowed. Ever since June of 2011 I have switched from using my bank's savings account to using Bitcoin as my main savings account, and ever since have saved about $200 every paycheck into bitcoin for things like travel, new phones/computers, miscellaneous purchases, and emergency fund stuff. When I announced I'm doing that (about same time Falkvinge said he's moving all his savings into bitcoin), a bunch of people said I was crazy and an idiot for doing that because of bitcoin's volatility. I'm sure there are many who still think that. Yes, it's volatile, but  the volatility really doesn't matter over the long term. Long story short, my BTC account is worth about $20,000 more than I actually put into it, despite the rise to $30, crash to $3, and everything in between. And yes, I've cashed out plenty of times as I traveled or bought electronics. Travels all go on credit cards (lots of cash-back), and get paid off the same month.

glad to hear you're still in the game

you got a good approach there. at least looking back it has worked well. i think it will in the future, too
Activity: 756
Merit: 501
There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.
February 14, 2013, 11:08:43 AM
Enjoy your purchases, Rassah! You use Bitcoin, not the other way around Wink
legendary
February 14, 2013, 10:43:07 AM
Rassah, did you pay capital gains tax on the $15,000?

Americans and their cars... why not just keep 1000 BTC and stay in the game?

Nope. Won't have to until April a year from now.
I need a car to drive to work, and mine is almost dead, so...
Also, I'm still in the game. The bitcoins I sold were only the ones I bought with the $15,000 I borrowed. Ever since June of 2011 I have switched from using my bank's savings account to using Bitcoin as my main savings account, and ever since have saved about $200 every paycheck into bitcoin for things like travel, new phones/computers, miscellaneous purchases, and emergency fund stuff. When I announced I'm doing that (about same time Falkvinge said he's moving all his savings into bitcoin), a bunch of people said I was crazy and an idiot for doing that because of bitcoin's volatility. I'm sure there are many who still think that. Yes, it's volatile, but  the volatility really doesn't matter over the long term. Long story short, my BTC account is worth about $20,000 more than I actually put into it, despite the rise to $30, crash to $3, and everything in between. And yes, I've cashed out plenty of times as I traveled or bought electronics. Travels all go on credit cards (lots of cash-back), and get paid off the same month.
Pages:
Jump to: