Pages:
Author

Topic: My Attempt at The Uberman Sleep Schedule - page 2. (Read 12269 times)

Activity: 322
Merit: 251
FirstBits: 168Bc
November 27, 2011, 08:43:55 AM
But trying to sleep 4 hours a night and then failing does not mean that something like uberman can't work. Of course, it's notoriously hard to prove a negative, but still…

I wasn't trying to negate it. We're capable of much and we know very little.

A few years back, I had a vegetarian roommate who was a boxing coach and ultimate fighter. He killed any misconceptions I had about the diet. My capoeira had never been better than during the few years I was on a high nutrition vegetarian diet (before moving to the Arctic); I was lighter, faster, slept less, fucked longer, more energy and mental focus than a teen.

Atlas, you mentioned studies proving that meditation was a supplement/replacement for sleep. I suspected that's true, but I'm curious if you have reference sources?

The Burmese Theravada work I was doing assumes that sloth is one of five mental hindrances to be observed, understood, and defeated. I'd used that numerous times since, for example separating the observer from the drunk guy in my body. Smiley But during retreats I've wondered if the reduced sleep is attributed to less physical work and worries, meditation restoring vitality, or if the whole system is just designed to make practitioner crazy and susceptible to persuasion/transformation.

BTCurious, that link reminds me of recent research that suggests a huge number of people previously considered vegetative actually have mental clarity. They didn't communicate with their eyes, but with different regions of the brain. They were asked to imagine, for example, playing tennis if the answer to a question was false, and asked to imagine following a map or rotating three dimensional objects if the answer was positive. Because these thoughts activate very different regions of the brain, the researchers were able to scan their answers in real time. I'll find a link, so we'll be prepared if Atlas goes comatose on us.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
November 27, 2011, 07:01:34 AM
Even more interesting is that studies were done where they woke people up during different stages of sleep to record their dreams, and REM sleep was significantly correlated with more nightmares than earlier stages.

Less interesting, considering REM is significantly correlated with more dreams in general .
Activity: 714
Merit: 504
^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.
November 27, 2011, 06:56:49 AM
In my most productive projects, I go through arbitrary work-crash cycles, perhaps 36 hours awake, who knows how long asleep. Though, I can't imagine it working on a schedule. I failed a semester of University trying to sleep less than four hours each night and couldn't separate my own thoughts from the world around me. Stress and lack of sleep are a hellish combination. Isn't that a well documented torture: sleep deprivation through forced standing, flashing lights, and loud dissonant music, until submission?
But trying to sleep 4 hours a night and then failing does not mean that something like uberman can't work. Of course, it's notoriously hard to prove a negative, but still…

On an unrelated note, this is mightily interesting:
It was Keith Hearne (1978), of the University of Hull, who first exploited the fact that not all the muscles are paralyzed [during sleep]. In REM sleep the eyes move. So perhaps a lucid dreamer could signal by moving the eyes in a predetermined pattern. Just over ten years ago, lucid dreamer Alan Worsley first managed this is in Hearne's laboratory. He decided to move his eyes left and right eight times in succession whenever he became lucid. Using a polygraph, Hearne could watch the eye movements for sign of the special signal. He found it in the midst of REM sleep. So lucid dreams are real dreams and do occur during REM sleep.
Activity: 322
Merit: 251
FirstBits: 168Bc
November 27, 2011, 02:30:23 AM
I spent several months in a monastery. We'd eat one meal a day, alternate between sitting and walking meditation, eventually about two hours, up to ten times each. At the end of each lunar month we'd engage in 'determination' which consisted of no sleep for four days. Aside from believing there were multiple entities in my solitary cell, I generally remained sane and healthy.

In my most productive projects, I go through arbitrary work-crash cycles, perhaps 36 hours awake, who knows how long asleep. Though, I can't imagine it working on a schedule. I failed a semester of University trying to sleep less than four hours each night and couldn't separate my own thoughts from the world around me. Stress and lack of sleep are a hellish combination. Isn't that a well documented torture: sleep deprivation through forced standing, flashing lights, and loud dissonant music, until submission?
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet
November 27, 2011, 01:07:30 AM
Interesting though that those with mood disorders (depression, specifically) actually spend more time in REM sleep than do those without mental illness.
Seriously? How did they test such a thing lol

Even more interesting is that studies were done where they woke people up during different stages of sleep to record their dreams, and REM sleep was significantly correlated with more nightmares than earlier stages.
Somehow that's not surprising. The deeper in your subconscious mind you go, the less in control you are.

They tested through EEG.  Different stages of sleep are marked by different electrical wave signatures (e.g. delta waves).  It's as simple as timing how long a sleeping individual's brain emits each kind of wave signature.

Fascinating stuff.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020
November 27, 2011, 01:03:59 AM
Interesting though that those with mood disorders (depression, specifically) actually spend more time in REM sleep than do those without mental illness.

Somehow that's not surprising. The deeper in your subconscious mind you go, the less in control you are.

They tested through EEG.  Different stages of sleep are marked by different electrical wave signatures (e.g. delta waves).  It's as simple as timing how long a sleeping individual's brain emits each kind of wave signature.
November 27, 2011, 01:00:24 AM

legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020
November 27, 2011, 12:58:19 AM
You won't be able to keep it up. After about 3 days you're goimg to crash for several hours.

The body needs 2-3 hours of REM sleep just to survive.

It's a fun experiment though, I did it too when I was 17.

Interesting though that those with mood disorders (depression, specifically) actually spend more time in REM sleep than do those without mental illness.  Even more interesting is that studies were done where they woke people up during different stages of sleep to record their dreams, and REM sleep was significantly correlated with more nightmares than earlier stages.

November 27, 2011, 12:37:47 AM
"my father is genetically..."

mutated?

"he has been able to sleep only 6 hours for a good portion of his life"

Hot damn! He's only slept 6 hours in his lifetime? Put him on youtube instead of you.
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
Activity: 482
Merit: 502
November 24, 2011, 07:42:29 PM
Out of everyone reading this who has actually made any alternate sleep schedule work for over a month?
Since I have started to work on day/night 12 hours long shifts, I feel great and fresh all night but sleepy and sick at day.
When I have free week, My bio-rhythm is scheduled vampire-like naturally.
2 years.

Does it count?
Activity: 518
November 24, 2011, 05:25:41 PM
Good luck with this but I don't think you will get very far. Even sleeping 5 hours a night is too little for some.
November 24, 2011, 04:48:21 PM
Out of everyone reading this who has actually made any alternate sleep schedule work for over a month?

Anyone?
Me.
sd
Activity: 730
November 24, 2011, 04:34:29 PM
Uhm, I don't think this gradual thing will work… but feel free to try.

Anyone?

November 24, 2011, 04:25:39 PM
Uhm, I don't think this gradual thing will work… but feel free to try.
donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
November 24, 2011, 01:39:31 PM
I know I'll be loading up on tryptophan today. I'll definitely need a nap.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
November 24, 2011, 12:29:44 PM
I don't feel like arguing with people who try to enforce their opinion on others. So I'll just say I support JohnDoe's posts, and am curious to see how alpha will do.
Pages:
Jump to: