Pages:
Author

Topic: My jaw is still on the floor. - page 8. (Read 35665 times)

legendary
Activity: 1241
Merit: 1005
..like bright metal on a sullen ground.
January 01, 2015, 02:44:19 AM
Nick Szabo on learning from the Japanese

And learning Japanese:

"Au contrair!  Tongue twisters, palindromes, etc. are very good and fun
for practicing my Nihongo and when I get them right, it gets my confidence
up!  Can we have more please?"

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/sci.lang.japan/JYgfT8jNqw0
legendary
Activity: 905
Merit: 1000
January 01, 2015, 01:03:12 AM
Nick Szabo on learning from the Japanese

http://cd.textfiles.com/spaceandast/TEXT/SPACEDIG/V13_5/V13_500.TXT

Date: 27 Apr 91 06:41:23 GMT
From: unisoft!fai!sequent!crg5![email protected]  (Nick Szabo)
Subject: Learning from Japan

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (Fraering Philip) writes:

[An excellent article on U.S. competitiveness]

Well said.  I would only add that if we are going to mimic the
Japanese, we should learn from them the way they learned from the
Western world after the Meiji Restoration.  The Japanese sent out
observers to the most advanced parts of the most advanced Western
countries, making lists ranking political, educational, and
technological structures in order from best to worst.  Fit with
Japanese culture was also considered.  Everything below "ichiban" --
the number one ranking -- was discarded, and the best examples of
each component of modern civilization in all of the West were implemented
over the remains of feudal Japan.  

Now that Japan is equal with us -- better in some areas, worse in
others -- we need a similar process to learn from Japan -- that is,
go over and pick out the _best_ of what they do, that also fits our
own culture.  Honda, not Mitsubishi; Japanese work ethic, not
Japanese group-think ethic; just-in-time manufacturing, not
university-level scientific research; technical education, not language
education.

In the space arena, the Japanese have things to teach us in
several areas -- minitiarization, automation, efficiency,
and the scaling of technology to the market.  They also have an
extensive project in comet and asteroid research, including sky
surveys and manned asteroid sample return missions to Antartica.  
On the other hand, the country as a whole is way behind in the overall
skill level, attention, and funding levels devoted to space.  This gives
us a big advantage.  Let's combine their best with our best to produce a
winner.

--
Nick Szabo                              [email protected]

Activity: 280
Merit: 250
Brainwashed this way
December 31, 2014, 11:45:49 PM

Great thread. But who is "Nick Szabo"?( that's a lot of "aka's" listed there )

Andrew N Szabo, ~48
Madison, WI
Known also: Andrew Nicholas Szabo · Alexander Szabo · Andrew A Szabo · Andrew E Szabo · Alexander Azabo · Nicholas Szabo

Lived in: Madison, WI · Providence, RI · Cupertino, CA · Somerville, MA · Etna, NH

Related to: Andreas Kammer ~42 · Nicholas Szabo ~84 · Alexander Szabo ~52 · Marcia Szabo ~82 · Douglas Kammer ~69

You forgot his brother, Frank, the rabbit breeder in Ohio.

That link had me going in circles last year. I finally gave up on trying to decode it? What is your view of its meaning? Why would Nick(Mr. Secret Mystery about himself) have a link with his brothers address in the middle of nowhere on it?
http://web.archive.org/web/20070209042638/http://mysite.verizon.net/resp9fau/index.html

Note: there was also a comment on one of his blogs claiming to be another of Nicks brothers. Nick actually confirmed it in the following post. Nick was talking about the origin of the name Szabo and his brother was talking about their dad or something. I can't find it right now, but I'll keep looking.

Update: Found it. Paul Szabo...http://unenumerated.blogspot.com/2006/10/fifty-years-ago-today.html?m=1
vip
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145
December 31, 2014, 10:39:11 PM

Andrew N Szabo, ~48
Madison, WI
Known also: Andrew Nicholas Szabo · Alexander Szabo · Andrew A Szabo · Andrew E Szabo · Alexander Azabo · Nicholas Szabo

Lived in: Madison, WI · Providence, RI · Cupertino, CA · Somerville, MA · Etna, NH

Related to: Andreas Kammer ~42 · Nicholas Szabo ~84 · Alexander Szabo ~52 · Marcia Szabo ~82 · Douglas Kammer ~69

You forgot his brother, Frank, the rabbit breeder in Ohio.
Activity: 16
Merit: 0
December 31, 2014, 09:13:49 PM

Andrew N Szabo, ~48
Madison, WI

Activity: 743
Merit: 502
December 31, 2014, 06:37:01 PM
Another reason to lay low...

http://www.wired.com/2014/12/finney-swat/

As much as the scum who pull these life-threatening "pranks" piss me off, the real problem is we have a hyper-militarized police that acts like an occupying army and treats normal citizens as the enemy.  They're ready to go full Rambo at the drop of a hat, and even a 12 year old calling with a flagrantly bogus swatting gets their own personal army from these steroid-riddled buffoons.

I do believe in monsters...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXODzzagzCw

legendary
Activity: 1176
December 31, 2014, 12:52:31 AM

As much as the scum who pull these life-threatening "pranks" piss me off, the real problem is we have a hyper-militarized police that acts like an occupying army and treats normal citizens as the enemy.  They're ready to go full Rambo at the drop of a hat, and even a 12 year old calling with a flagrantly bogus swatting gets their own personal army from these steroid-riddled buffoons.
legendary
December 30, 2014, 07:07:19 PM

I know, i feel bad now for even starting this thread again. God damn it is so interesting though.

I know exactly what you mean.  I think we will find out sooner or later, either because someone will want to use Satoshi's coins or if the founders think that such a large concentration of btc in unknown hands has become a larger market issue.  I've read a lot of Szabo's posts and he seems like the kind of person who couldn't pass up the opportunity to use that level of wealth to attempt big things (private robotic space exploration, etc) like an Elon Musk type.
December 30, 2014, 06:43:58 PM

I know, i feel bad now for even starting this thread again. God damn it is so interesting though.
legendary
December 30, 2014, 06:39:24 PM

legendary
Activity: 882
Merit: 1024
December 30, 2014, 05:13:22 PM
December 30, 2014, 04:20:51 PM
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
Brainwashed this way
December 30, 2014, 12:59:12 PM
Who......
I had never put the beginning of Wei Dai’s “bmoney” paper to much thought until it was brought to my attention by a software designer named Oleg Andreev. This information seems to be the “key” that Satoshi left for us to unlock the puzzle.

The first credit to Bitcoin in the white paper was a citation for Wei Dai’s “bmoney”.

The first paragraph of “bmoney”: (read carefully)

“I am fascinated by Tim May’s crypto-anarchy. Unlike the communities traditionally associated with the word “anarchy”, in a crypto-anarchy the government is not temporarily destroyed but permanently forbidden and permanently unnecessary. It’s a community where the threat of violence is impotent because violence is impossible, and violence is impossible because its participants cannot be linked to their true names or physical locations”. ~Wei Dai

Why......
The Internet and Bitcoin were created to allow people to solve social problems in a novel way: Instead of the ancient formula of “the strongest wins and then beats the crap out of the loser” we all can achieve a peaceful society where both rich and poor, strong and weak can protect their property and freedom on more equal grounds without relying on violent institutions like governments.

Why anonymous?
Tim May: “Anyone contemplating building such a system, or entity, or cybercorporation, should think long and hard about the wisdom of ever having an identifiable nexus of attack. Money must be collected in untraceable ways. This is what I meant about it being time to rethink the theory of the corporation.”

"Where once a corporation existed to both protect the rights of shareholders (against lawsuits and partners having to pay for losses) and to enable the group participation of many workers, corporations for the things Cypherpunks think are interesting is just a bad idea. And given the growing trend toward trying to prosecute the V.P of Yahoo-Europe because some bit of Nazi history was sold to some German citizen, etc., corporations are becoming a liability in cyberspace”.

"The answer is to vanish into cyberspace. Not an easy task, maybe, given the state of today’s tools, but the long term trend".

Summary......
Bitcoin is the exact implementation of the system envisioned by Tim C. May, Wei Dai, Nick Szabo, Hal Finney and Zooko. The only requirement is for transacting parties to remain anonymous. If there’s no trace to physical persons, there is no place for the violent intervention and thus the contracts can only be enforced according to the voluntarily agreed-upon rules between the parties. Bitcoin allows encoding these rules right in the transactions so they are automatically enforced by the whole network.

Tim May, Szabo, Hal, Alan Back, Jim McCoy, Zooko.....they all have a part in this.

*Ray Dillenger (Bear) quote: “Look, (Satoshi) was a construction made explicitly for the purpose of launching Bitcoin……That purpose is fulfilled.  The person who created (Satoshi) has no further need for him.  Thus ends the story”.

Note: it seems BitCoin was mostly created in the comment sections of the "Nanobarter", "BitGold" & "BitGold-Markets" papers. What happened in private emails and Meet-ups may never be known. Szabo & Zooko or maybe Jim McCoy? We may never know. IMHO...Szabo and Hal made all this possible in one way or another. They had dedicated their lives since at least 1993 to bring an anonymous digital currency to us.

legendary
Activity: 882
Merit: 1024
December 30, 2014, 06:50:43 AM
I came across this that was quite interesting written by Nick Szabo and provides a few more clues to the puzzle. He talks about the Cyberpunks as a small group working on traceless digital cash. Some of the references to pseudospoofing or use of sock puppet accounts still holds true today.

•To: [email protected] (L. Detweiler)
•Subject: SILLY FLAMES: pseudospoofing
•Date: Mon, 18 Oct 93 5:25:22 PDT
•Cc: [email protected]
•In-Reply-To: <[email protected]>; from "L. Detweiler" at Oct 18, 93 3:41 am

L. Detweiler -- shocked, simply shocked, at the realization that
multiple pseudonyms are possible on the net -- explodes:

> ....how can this be a `forum' if an opinion
> is not *representative*?

Perhaps there are differences between a forum and a voting booth?

> what if a single person just `ganged up' on
> someone they didn't like by overwhelming them with pseudospoofs? what
> if there was *truly* support for some project but a pseudospoofer
> ganged up on the proponents and clobbered them with flames?

Perhaps "support" is better measured by how many people are motivated
enough to go to the effort to make multiple but individually unique,
reputable posts in favor of a proposition, rather than by
simple numerical polls that abstract away knowledge and
motivation, or by how many True Names position themselves
with I'm-on-your-side posts.

On cypherpunks' better days, "support" is measured by what kind
of code gets written, not by who flames whom how often under
how many names.
Of course we all know that writing code
does not constitute *true* support, since only Democracy is
The One True Way.

> doesn't
> it throw every `conversation' on this list into spectacularly
> *grotesque* doubt?

Welcome to the Internet, Detweiler.  Perhaps you might get
together some physical meetings in Colorado, talk to more cypherpunks
on the phone, look at the pictures in Wired magazine (perhaps also
faked?), etc. if you are so concerned about being ganged up on by
unknown numbers of strangers.  (Is it better to be ganged up
on by known numbers of strangers?  Why of course, that's called
Democracy).

> the idea
> of `one man one vote' is SACRED.

Hallelujah!  Praise the Lord & pass the card punch!  Let's
vote ourselves bigger paychecks & unlimited medical care.
Let's take a vote on which cypherpunks tools we will implement.
Those who vote with the minority get to do the programming
work, those in the majority get to tell the minority what to write.
I nominate L. Detweiler President of the Cypherpunks.  All in favor
say "aye" and bow down to His Holiness of the Veiled Booth!

> it is
> *anti egaltarian*. it is a recipe for anarchy

God forbid!  Quick, Detweiler, get out your garlic, raise
up your cross and abjure these crypto-anarchists
before we spread any further!  Next thing you know
we'll get some elitist, anti-democratic development like
untraceable digital cash
.  Some people will accumulate
more digicash than others, and Detweiler won't even know
who they are.  Horrors!  Quick Detweiler,
write your electronic leveling tax protocols before
its too late.  Better yet, get the majority to vote on
making us evil crypto-anarchists -- only a small cypherpunk
minority once our pseudonyms are unmasked
, of course -- make
us write them for you.  After all, egalitarian software
is a basic human right!

> UNFAIR INFLUENCE. ABUSE
> OF POWER. MANIPULATION. DECEIT. TREACHERY. EXPLOITATION. SECRET CONSPIRACIES.
>...

Isn't it just dreadful?

> p.s. if anyone doesn't hear from me for awhile, assume I've been
> `liquidated' and this isn't really an `open forum' ...

Detweiler to be axed by untraceable crypto-moderator.  Can't figure
out how to make a pseudonym or use a remailer to avoid his fate in
Oblivion.  Graphic pictures at 11, may be unsuitable for children!

Nick Szabo            [email protected]

donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
December 30, 2014, 06:01:10 AM
He's trying to solve the problem of network access.

I don't understand why he thinks networks need to be redesigned with a Turing-complete block chain. You still need to trust the person that installs it.

Then I realized he is trying to redefine proof of work by creating tokens based on network access.Then I see he takes it back a notch and calls for limited use cases. Why not just stamp documents with Bitcoin?

I think there is a fundamental disagreement about the nature of work. There is a lot of development around PoS and its subset Proof of Existence as if Existence is some sort of compromise between stake and work. The cypherpunks are great with their privacy issues, but there is also a movement of ecopunks. Maybe some folks see the sun as a big waste of energy, but it's the thing that gives us life.

Hashing sha256 may seem like a trivial task, but if you look at the process rather than the product it makes sense. Hashing is done by the ones with the cheapest energy or the most efficient circuits.

Proving ownership is the foundation of fraud. Whether it's wealth or network resources, without provable really hard work there will be ways to spoof the system.

Now I'm not saying converting electricity to heat is the best way to show value. There are many resources to back currency. In the past we learned to smelt. We created money from that. Then we learned to print. We created money with that. Electricity is just how we currently make our existence. Future technologies will allow us to do things far more interesting than electronics and we'll be able to create value from that fundamental technology. I suspect quantum teleportation or entanglement may create the new money. Money is hard to make but easy to verify. It's a one way function. We should stay away from overly complex systems of financialization and computer networking can be made excessively complex. It's better to allow simple systems to interact and create emergent complexity.
vip
December 30, 2014, 02:53:05 AM
eCache : Anonymous Digital Bearer Certificates: http://web.archive.org/web/20070629165051/https://ffij33ewbnoeqnup.onion.meshmx.com/doc.php

http://web.archive.org/web/20070629165430/https://ffij33ewbnoeqnup.onion.meshmx.com/readme.php

Credit where credit is due:
A big shoutout to Yodel of Yodelbank (external at Wikipedia) fame. He is the inventor of the COW currency and inspired us with his DBC format. Yodel: If you are alive and read this, come talk to us on the channel. There is some GG waiting for you.

The first 5 COW went to "SomePatches". You are officially user number ONE!

http://www.fact-index.com/y/yo/yodelbank.html

Yodelbank is a bank that relies on the Digital Monetary Trust-network (DMT), and the Invisible IRC Project (IIP) [1].
DMT is a threelayerd computer system. Its function is to abstract the identity of the account-owner from the accounts. That is, the accountholders transfer money into the DMT network, wich becomes the legal owners of the money. Then, the accountholders can make DMT transfer money as they like. The system builds on trust betwen the "bank" and the accountholders, hence the name.

Yodelbank is a bank that has all its assets in the DMT. Yodelbank has no physical office, instead it exists entierly inside the "cipherspace." The interface towards yodelbank is put inside IIP, an encrypted and pseudonymous internet relay chat. (IRC)

Because Yodelbank is put on top of DMT and the only way to communicate with yodelbank is through IIP, it is an entierly anonymous internet bank.

Yodelbank is not a registerd company. It exist entierly outside any countries law. The owner of yodelbank is also unknown.

DMT was borne out of James Ray Houston and Sonny Vleisides' Laissez Faire City via James Orlin Grabbe (JOG).
vip
December 30, 2014, 02:47:05 AM

Surely this is not the real L. Detweiler.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/user/ldetweiler-385302

Name:   L.Detweiler
Activity:   25
Position:   Newbie
Date Registered:   October 09, 2014, 05:19:11 PM
Last Active:   December 21, 2014, 05:55:21 AM

https://bitcointalksearch.org/user/sboxx-385324

Name:   S.Boxx
Activity:   25
Position:   Newbie
Date Registered:   October 09, 2014, 08:00:14 PM
Last Active:   December 29, 2014, 09:53:37 PM
vip
December 30, 2014, 02:35:09 AM
^^^Ironically, Steve Schear mentions Jeb McCaleb's eDonkey. The same Jeb McCaleb who founded Mt Gox.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/stevenschear

Director of Business Development
Evil Geniuses For A Better Tomorrow
2000 – 2001 (1 year)

"Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow was a startup company founded by Jim McCoy et al. to create MojoNation. After several years, the company ran out of money and laid off most of its employees; Bram Cohen went on to create BitTorrent and Zooko created Mnet out of MojoNation’s source code. The company’s name comes from the game Illuminati by Steve Jackson Games."
Pages:
Jump to: