Pages:
Author

Topic: My jaw is still on the floor. - page 9. (Read 35667 times)

vip
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145
December 30, 2014, 02:15:22 AM
@ slaveforanunnak1

While we are still on the blog comments, here is a Szabo comment that made me realize a small difference of opinion between Szabo and Satoshi. It's about the use of the term Cryptocurrency.

*Satoshi used the term Cryptocurrency.
Quote from: satoshi on July 06, 2010, 06:32:35 PM
"Announcing version 0.3 of Bitcoin, the P2P cryptocurrency!"

*In 2011 Szabo still would not use the term Cryptocurrency.
Szabo Quote: from 2011
"And what's up with the term "cryptocurrency"? What is it supposed to mean? Cryptography is used to protect payments systems as radically different as credit cards, Chaumian digital cash, and Bitcoin. The term encourages the popular but profoundly naive view of Bitcoin as merely another form of digital cash."

Note: could be a misdirection by Szabo or maybe a sign of the doppelganger theory. It may not mean anything, just something I noticed.

Interesting. I'm starting to look more closely at Zooko

The thing with Zooko always comes back to money, or lack of it. He has several projects he is trying to get going but doesn't have the funds. He really cares about the new science he is into and I think if he had the coins, he would definitely be using them.

That's why I'm thinking he may have been the coder only. He was definitely posting about BitCoin on January 26 2009. He had the time to do the work. He knew the right people. He lived and worked in that circle.

Note: Where was Jim McCoy located in 2008-2009? Still in Texas?

Szabo also seemed to be mentoring that young Blogger Byrne during the Times we have been looking at. In fact Szabo's call for help was in a response to Byrne's post.

http://unenumerated.blogspot.com/2008/04/bit-gold-markets.html?m=1

http://www.byrnehobart.com/blog/

http://financialcryptography.com/mt/archives/000571.html (with apologies for quoting all, found while on the hunt to address what's asked of us quoted above)

Financial Cryptography

Where the crypto rubber meets the Road of Finance...
« It's official - doing due diligence is a criminal offence! | Main | eBay migrates to the Payments business »
October 12, 2005

The Mojo Nation Story

[Guest post by Steve Schear] Mojo Nation was the brainchild of Jim McCoy (then formerly of Yahoo) and Doug Barnes (then formerly of C2Net). Their vision was a fully distributed peer-to-peer network with a financial mechanism that offered efficient cost recovery and discouraged the free-riding known to P2P people as leeching (a problem that continues to plague P2P).

The most radical element of MN was its method of pricing all activities in terms of network resources. It was also one of the first attempts at a P2P network using a fully distributed approach and a publishing versus a file sharing metaphor.

Unfortunately, MN was never fully operational. It never reached a point of deployment that allowed many of its novel architectural and technological assumptions, especially the mint, to be truly tested. It's not clear what economic lessons to draw from its operational vision, but here are some of the reasons behind its business failure:

- MN failed because it failed to get continued funding. It only received seed money from its founder, Jim McCoy. MN was in development before Napster but its greater complexity caused a delayed public release. Jim had the foresight to thoroughly investigate the legal aspects of P2P and architecture MN to segregate tracking and file storage and distance itself from either. Nevertheless, Napster's negative publicity closed the door on VC funding and development beyond beta testing.

- It failed because the UI never reached a point of maturity that enabled mostly automated meta-data tags (e.g., from mp3) to be generated from published content. This required users to tediously enter this data (and re-enter it when they were forced to republish, see below).

- It failed because software instabilities prevented its distributed servers from accumulating and retaining enough content and becoming stable (network effects). This instability required constant, manual, republishing of content by users who soon fatigued (user churn).

The most notable result from MN was Bram's Bit Torrent. Though, as we saw, Bram failed to heed warnings (and discussion at MN) about protecting the trackers until the MPAA/RIAA were able to shut many down. Its been reported that many of these shortcomings have been fixed but I still can't seem to get Azureus (the most popular BT client) to work as expected with the distributed tracking. Since the demise of eDonkey, et al, due to the MGM vs. Grokster BT has been given a shot at reassuming the P2P leadership mantle. I hope it succeeds. Or perhaps P2P's next growth will have to wait until enough its users discover the advantages of an anonymizing transport layers, like TOR and I2P.

Steve

Addendum: see Part 2 from Jim McCoy himself.

Posted by iang at October 12, 2005 08:22 AM | TrackBack
Comments
Bram didn't fail to heed warnings about attacks on trackers; he knew about them full well and would frequently explain them to people who wanted to use BitTorrent for illegal activities. Bram, as I understand it, didn't believe in making any software design changes for the sole purpose of supporting illegality.

Posted by: Aaron Swartz at October 18, 2005 05:30 PM

http://financialcryptography.com/mt/archives/000572.html

October 12, 2005

The Mojo Nation Story - Part 2

[Jim McCoy himself writes in response to MN1] Hmmm..... I guess that I would agree with most of what Steve said, and would add a few more datapoints.

Contributing to the failure was a long-term vision that was too complex to be implemented in a stepwise fashion. It was a "we need these eight things to work" architecture when we were probably only capable of accomplishing three or four at any one time. Part of this was related to the fact the what became Mojo Nation was originally only supposed to be the distributed data storage layer of an anonymous email infrastructure (penet-style anonymous mailboxes using PIR combined with a form of secure distributed computation; your local POP proxy would create a retrieval ticket that would bounce around the network and collect your messages using multiple PIR calculations over the distributed storage network....yes, you can roll your eyes now at how much we underestimated the development complexity...)

As Bram has shown, stripping MN down to its core and eliminating the functionality that was required for persistent data storage turned out to create a pretty slick data distribution tool. I personally placed too much emphasis on the data persistence side of the story and the continuing complexity of maintaining this aspect was probably our achilles heel, if we had not focused on persistence as a design goal and let it develop as an emergent side-effect things might have worked but instead it became an expensive distraction.

In hindsight, it seems that a lot of our design and architecture goals were sound, since most of the remaining p2p apps are working on adding MN-like features to their systems (e.g. combine Tor with distributed-tracker-enabled BitTorrent and you are 85% of the way towards re-creating MN...) but the importance of keeping the short- term goal list small and attainable while maintaining a compelling application at each milestone was a lesson that I did not learn until it was too late.

I think that I disagree with Steve in terms of the UI issues though. Given the available choices at the time we could have either created an application for a single platform or use a web-based interface. The only cross-platform UI toolkit available to us at the time (Tk) was kinda ugly and we didn't have the resources to put a real UI team together. If we were doing this again today our options would include wxWidgets for native UI elements or AJAX for a dynamic web interface, but at the time a simple web browser interface seemed like a good choice. Of course, if we had re-focused on file-sharing instead of distributed persistent data storage we could have bailed on Linux & Mac versions and just created a native win32 UI...

The other point worth mentioning is that like most crypto wonks, we were far too concerned with security and anonymity. We cared about these features so we assumed our users would as well; while early adopters might care the vast majority of the potential user base doesn't really care as much as we might think. These features added complexity, development time, and a new source of bugs to deal with.

Jim
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
Brainwashed this way
December 30, 2014, 01:48:17 AM
@ slaveforanunnak1

While we are still on the blog comments, here is a Szabo comment that made me realize a small difference of opinion between Szabo and Satoshi. It's about the use of the term Cryptocurrency.

"And what's up with the term "cryptocurrency"? What is it supposed to mean? Cryptography is used to protect payments systems as radically different as credit cards, Chaumian digital cash, and Bitcoin. The term encourages the popular but profoundly naive view of Bitcoin as merely another form of digital cash."

Note: could be a misdirection by Szabo or maybe a sign of the doppelganger theory. It may not mean anything, just something I noticed.

The thing with Zooko always comes back to money, or lack of it. He has several projects he is trying to get going but doesn't have the funds. He really cares about the new science he is into and I think if he had the coins, he would definitely be using them.

That's why I'm thinking he may have been the coder only. He was definitely posting about BitCoin on January 26 2009. He had the time to do the work. He knew the right people. He lived and worked in that circle.

Note: Where was Jim McCoy located in 2008-2009? Still in Texas?

Szabo also seemed to be mentoring that young Blogger Byrne during the Times we have been looking at. In fact Szabo's call for help was in a response to Byrne's post.

http://www.byrnehobart.com/blog/
vip
December 30, 2014, 01:33:47 AM

Surely this is not the real L. Detweiler.

http://cypherpunks.venona.com/date/1993/10/msg00759.html

Many of the recent anon posts have been quite productive, eg
"Wonderer's" embarrassing newbie questions which motivated Hal
Finney to first write a nice explanation of digital cash, then
think of an interesting simplification of Chaum's scheme.  Under
any system falling short of truly intelligent filters,
Hal would not have filtered S. Boxx's first posts
without also filtering Wonderer's first posts.

LD Admits he is S.Boxx (oops!)

To:     IN%"[email protected]"
CC:     IN%"[email protected]"
Subj:   Soothing Sayings

Mr. Barnes, you tried to convince me of the Joy of Pseudospoofing, for
which I suggested you were trying to convert me to the  Dark Side
(actually, I am indebtedly grateful for that beautiful inspiration for
my essay). You told me that E.Hughes' lectures on the subject of
pseudospoofing were what drew you to it in the first place! But this is
buried very deep in my comprehensive archives, from many weeks ago. (I
encourage all other cypherpunks to keep very good archives, because
some day we will be able to separate all the pseudospoofed identities
from real ones, and it will be quite shocking, I assure you. Some
prominent cypherpunks are extremely terrified and staunchly opposed to
archives, for obvious reasons.)

===========================================================================

Yes, LD, good archives certainly do help in catching pseudospoofers.
Like you. You have been using S.Boxx to post some of your rants and
create a false consensus - exactly what you have argued against so
loudly. How hypocritical can you get?

Why don't we post this on comp.risks and discredit him and his rants
once and for all? Enough of this crap!

--- [email protected]

http://cypherpunks.venona.com/date/1993/11/msg00582.html

Re: LD Admits he is S.Boxx (oops!)

To: [email protected] (Curtis D. Frye)
Subject: Re: LD Admits he is S.Boxx (oops!)
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 93 10:36:29 PST
Cc: [email protected]
In-Reply-To: <[email protected]>; from "Curtis D. Frye" at Nov 15, 93 11:01 am

> Kudos to Mike Ingle for his diligent record keeping and powers of
> observation.  As much as I like the computational solution for these
> problems, there's no substitute for documenting a mistake that blows
> somebody's cover.
>
> Curtis D. Frye

The S. Boxx = LD correlation has been obvious for several weeks. In
one notable case, S. Boxx quoted directly from private mail that had
been sent by Eric Hughes to L.D.

When confronted by this, L.D. waffled a bit and then mumbled something
about "of course cooperating with my colleague S. Boxx." For the next
several days he was careful to make casual references to "my
colleague."

As someone else told me, L.D. is a true casualty.

I'm trying to avoid discussing his situation on the List. The whole
matter has probably already driven people off the List, and more folks
may be on the verge. They joined the List to talk about the stuff we
are supposed to be discussing, and instead they get a dozen rants a
day from Detweiler and as many followups flaming him.

ObCrytp Note: Just got the English translation in paperback of the
Japanese-published "Encyclopedic Dictionary of Mathematics," a large
2-volume set with detailed articles on many branches of math.
If the
math talked about in crypto is sometimes obscure to you, check this
out. The cost is $59, a real bargain these days.

--Tim May

What are the chances of some Satoshi Nakamoto being mentioned in "Encyclopedic Dictionary of Mathematics"?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2013/05/19/ted-nelson-says-that-bitcons-satoshi-nakamoto-is-shinichi-mochizuki/

I think it’s far more likely that the pseudonym was coined by someone heavily influenced by the cyberpunk literature: a lot of which, as we all know, was influenced by how people viewed the Tokyo of the 80s:

The economic and technological state of Japan in the 80s influenced Cyberpunk literature at the time. Of Japan’s influence on the genre, William Gibson said, “Modern Japan simply was cyberpunk.”

That would surely explain away May's purchase.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005
December 30, 2014, 12:57:10 AM

Surely this is not the real L. Detweiler.
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
Hodl!
December 30, 2014, 12:56:35 AM
Beware of reading too much into an old post that was hilariously funny because everyone knew how wrong it was. The associations given may have been sending up some of the personalities by accusing them of being sock puppets of their frequent sparring partners.

As I say it's mostly useful as a left handed who's who of cryptoanarchist type thought and notorious usenet duellists.

I can maybe get hold of one of the personalities named for a bit of cultural perspective if necessary.
Activity: 27
Merit: 0
December 29, 2014, 11:53:37 PM
@ slaveforanunnak1

You must first find out "what" Zooko really is and who he is in league with.

This list may be a little old, but it still applies to this puzzle. Use it wisely.

TENTACLES and SNAKES.  A TENTACLE is an email address used by a real person for the purpose of concealing their identity from others. A SNAKE is a TENTACLE that is particularly wicked and evil and will lie and trick others into believing the TENTACLE is real. In words, the more consequential and malicious a TENTACLE, the more it is a SNAKE.

> The TRUE NAME of a person behind a tentacle is also called the MOTHER or the MONSTER. Some of the TRUE NAMES are BIG MACS and some are SMALL FRIES.

> A MEDUSA is the leader of all SMALL FRIES and BIG MACS, a wicked, evil incarnation of SATAN on the Internet. She is the originator and chief proseletyzer of the art, science, and religion of lies. MEDUSA has dozens of SNAKES all over the Internet, particularly in extremely sensitive areas such as Internet protocol development(e.g. mercantile or digital cash protocols), posting from public access sites and even `covers' and `front' sites, these are called POISON NEEDLES. Corrupt administrators are always either BIG MACS or SMALL FRIES. Some sites have administrators who are unaware orapathetic toward infiltrations, these are called PAWNS.

> Anyone who knows about a tentacle or other CONSPIRACY, an `insider', is called TAINTED. People who don't know are called CLEAN. Some CLEAN and BYSTANDERS are particularly NAIVE and believe everything that BIG MACS and MEDUSA says, they are called BRAINWASHED. The ones that defend BIG MACS and MEDUSA are called BLIND. Those that simply don't care are called BRAIN DEAD.

> When MEDUSA infiltrates many sites and spews extremely dangerous disinformation and propaganda, this is called SABOTAGE. Telling people to go somewhere else and dominating conversations with irrelevant topics is called STRANGLING or GANG RAPE. Stealing sensitive information from others is called ESPIONAGE. Sabotage, strangling, espionage, and other types of cyberterrorism are called POISON. MEDUSA hides her activities beneath the various phrases PRIVACY FOR THE MASSES, the CRYPTOGRAPHIC REVOLUTION, and CRYPTOANARCHY in respectable media outlets like Wired and the New York Times. Sometimes this is accomplished by fooling reporters, but note that not all reporters are CLEAN, and bribery may be possible.

> MEDUSA is the orchestrator of a MASSIVE INTERNATIONAL CONSPIRACY to STRANGLE, SABOTAGE, and POISON THE INTERNET. Anyone who can drive MEDUSA and all the corrupt BIG MACS from Cyberspace and from the real world forever is called THE SAVIOR and said to have DRIVEN THE PHARISEES FROM THE TEMPLE.
Activity: 518
Hodl!
December 29, 2014, 09:31:08 PM
It might need further translation, search = grep a regex

Probably something very simple on that, like ^FH^H^AHL$^BAB^HSAD -e -z -f "target"|TTY01 &
Activity: 743
Merit: 502
December 29, 2014, 09:23:43 PM

use ctrl + f

I'm gonna check your links now, but first, wtf is ctrl+f supposed to do?  I use vimperator to control my browser like vim.  I guess you're not using that?

Search. Tried to make it interesting for you guys.

sed
Activity: 532
December 29, 2014, 09:04:08 PM

use ctrl + f

I'm gonna check your links now, but first, wtf is ctrl+f supposed to do?  I use vimperator to control my browser like vim.  I guess you're not using that?
December 29, 2014, 08:52:52 PM
@ slaveforanunnak1

Brainwashed this way
December 29, 2014, 08:24:00 PM
@ slaveforanunnak1

December 29, 2014, 07:30:29 PM
^ that blog comment from eddie has always fascinated me.....especially the "scarcity" comparison. I can see the evolution from Szabo's "nanobarter" comment section in 2007 between Szabo, Zooko and Jim McCoy leading to eddie's well thought comments on Szabo's "BitGold-Markets" in 2008.

http://unenumerated.blogspot.com/2007/06/nanobarter.html?m=1

http://web.archive.org/web/20070618142414/http://szabo.best.vwh.net/scarce.html

Note: this is the link for the eddie comment from the post above:

There have been over the years several plans and attempts to develop very fined grained markets online.

Wouldn't it be funny if Satoshi Nakamoto turned out to be the real McCoy? http://www.oreilly.com/pub/au/115

You know I've thought that before..........Szabo and McCoy were in a pissing contest at that time also.

Zooko2:31 PM

One thing I really don't like about blogs is that conversations tend to have a "lifespan" of at most a couple of weeks. I'm very interested in this topic, and I have many unanswered questions, but my guess is that few or no people are ever going to even see this comment.

HAHAHAH wrong!

vip
December 29, 2014, 05:41:48 PM
http://web.archive.org/web/20080518222139/http://unenumerated.blogspot.com/

[The above is based on comments I made at the Marginal Revolution blog].

POSTED BY NICK SZABO AT 4:12 PM 14 COMMENTS LINKS TO THIS POST

Almost 6 years later...

http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2014/03/profile-of-satoshi-nakamoto-creator-of-bitcoin.html

Profile of Satoshi Nakamoto, creator (?) of Bitcoin

by Tyler Cowen on March 6, 2014 at 7:14 am   in Current Affairs, Economics, Uncategorized, Web/Tech | Permalink
- See more at: http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2014/03/profile-of-satoshi-nakamoto-creator-of-bitcoin.html#sthash.zehjdAEt.dpuf
vip
December 29, 2014, 04:43:45 PM
Szabo calls out to the cypherpunk types for help to finalize coding BitGold and run a test net a few months before the BiCoin white paper gets published online.
Note: Look at the "url" for the real date. The date was changed on the blog itself to look like it was published at a later date. Possibly to look released after the BitCoin white paper 10/31/2008 Halloween. http://nakamotoinstitute.org/bitcoin/

Thanks to the Way Back Machine...

http://web.archive.org/web/20080518222139/http://unenumerated.blogspot.com/

http://web.archive.org/web/20110715041625/http://unenumerated.blogspot.com/2008/04/bit-gold-markets.html

http://nakamotoinstitute.org/bitcoin/

Consulting services

I am now publicly offering my consulting services. Besides topics I regularly blog about, my expertise includes technology product management (especially for e-commerce and wireless products and services), smart contracts, financial engineering, software architecture and engineering, and computer/network security. I can travel just about anywhere.

Please contact me at nszabo AT law DOT gwu DOT edu for rates, availability, resume/CV, etc. Please describe or link to a description of your project and describe the services you need.

And, for a reasonably low rate, you can have Satoshi Nakamoto speak at your next company BBQ.

After checking about a couple dozen articles, to date Bit gold markets was the ONLY one I've uncovered that Nick Szabo changed its original penning date.
Brainwashed this way
December 29, 2014, 12:43:09 PM
^ Szabo worked at DigiCash also. So that means Zooko and Szabo were co-workers. I'll check the dates to see if they were employed at the same time.
Zooko wrote the Bitcoin client with Szabo's whitepaper and guidance. When their project got too close to the CIA they jumped ship and went low and let Gavin and a few other enthusiasts handle the assets.

Now Szabo pretends it's raining (still uses the same language) and supports Ethereum (full touring blockchain using Satoshi Consensus invented term coined by him) while Zooko calls for Satoshi to send him a message while working a public job and fancying Bitcoin projects.

Or Satoshi is someone totally different that knows their work but they don't know him (which is weird for Szabo having a doppelganger that does better than you while putting everyone on your tail).

Looks like if Szabo does have a doppelganger, it most likely would be "eddie" or Jim McCoy....
Szabo: "(assuming Nakamoto is not really Finney or Dai). Only Finney (RPOW) and Nakamoto were motivated enough to actually implement such a scheme".

Note: BombaUcigasa's post really sums all this up. His summary is problably as close as we will ever get(the best conclusion from the available circumstantial evidence).....

Szabo calls out to the cypherpunk types for help to finalize coding BitGold and run a test net a few months before the BiCoin white paper gets published online.
Note: Look at the "url" for the real date. The date was changed on the blog itself to look like it was published at a later date. Possibly to look released after the BitCoin white paper 10/31/2008 Halloween. http://nakamotoinstitute.org/bitcoin/

*Szabo’s post for assistance:
“Bitgold would greatly benefit from a demonstration, an experimental market (with e.g. a trusted third party substituted for the complex security that would be needed for a real system). Anybody want to help me code one up?”

1) Who do you think would have answered Szabo at that time?

2) Who would have also read Szabo's post and then race to implement BitCoin before Szabo could release BitGold?
vip
December 29, 2014, 10:53:54 AM
^ just think if "eddie" turned out to be McCoy.....he normally just posted "anonymous" until Nick would piss him off about MoJo and then he would use his true name....Nick never posted anything after the "eddie" post.....so maybe "eddie" is McCoy....and since Szabo never provoked him, he didn't reveal his true name.

Note: the "anonymous" comments turn out to be Jim McCoy once Szabo makes him mad enough to admit who he is:

Update: I don't think McCoy is Satoshi, but he may be "eddie" from the "BitGold-Markets" comment section.(Although it looks like Byrne's writing style)

Thanks, frickface  Smiley, now I have to read the DonutLab White Paper: http://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/2005/HPL-2005-5.pdf

Edit: I quit reading at Donutbot. Maybe somebody else can make heads or tails outta it, for it's outside my element (no pun intended).
Brainwashed this way
December 29, 2014, 03:44:30 AM
^ just think if "eddie" turned out to be McCoy.....he normally just posted "anonymous" until Nick would piss him off about MoJo and then he would use his true name....Nick never posted anything after the "eddie" post.....so maybe "eddie" is McCoy....and since Szabo never provoked him, he didn't reveal his true name.

Note: the "anonymous" comments turn out to be Jim McCoy once Szabo makes him mad enough to admit who he is:

Update: I don't think McCoy is Satoshi, but he may be "eddie" from the "BitGold-Markets" comment section.(Although it looks like Byrne's writing style)
More eddie comments:
http://unenumerated.blogspot.com/2011/05/bitcoin-what-took-ye-so-long.html?m=1
vip
December 29, 2014, 03:38:11 AM
^ that blog comment from eddie has always fascinated me.....especially the "scarcity" comparison. I can see the evolution from Szabo's "nanobarter" comment section in 2007 between Szabo, Zooko and Jim McCoy leading to eddie's well thought comments on Szabo's "BitGold-Markets" in 2008.

There have been over the years several plans and attempts to develop very fined grained markets online.

Wouldn't it be funny if Satoshi Nakamoto turned out to be the real McCoy? http://www.oreilly.com/pub/au/115

You know I've thought that before..........

I guess that'll make us the Hatfields.  Grin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatfield%E2%80%93McCoy_feud
Brainwashed this way
December 29, 2014, 03:35:49 AM

You know I've thought that before..........Szabo and McCoy were in a pissing contest at that time also.
vip
December 29, 2014, 03:25:58 AM

Pages:
Jump to: