Pages:
Author

Topic: Nano Ledger S Battery Question? - page 2. (Read 689 times)

legendary
Activity: 2758
Merit: 6830
August 29, 2020, 04:06:30 PM
The first thing you should do, without any doubt, is contact Ledger's support and explain the situation. Do not touch your Ledger, like suggested above, and just wait for their answer. They will tell you what are your options.

I also have a Nano S but never had any issues with it (the screen is as good as always), so I can't really tell you what is the best thing to do in this type of situation. That's why there is nothing better than contacting the people who made the wallet. Mainly because you can't affirm without any doubt that the seed you wrote 2 years ago is correct.
Activity: 1736
Merit: 186
August 29, 2020, 03:44:19 PM
I wouldn't do anything to your current Nano at this point.

Since you say you haven't seen your seed phrase in months/years, and you never checked it was correct when you wrote it down, that Ledger Nano might be the only way to recover your coins. Although you cannot do anything with it at the moment, I would assume Ledger would be able to repair the screen without wiping the device. If you go messing around with it trying to fix the screen and reset it, only to discover your seed phrase is missing or incorrect, then your coins are lost forever.

Buy a new one (or some other hardware wallet), recover your seed to it, check you can access all your coins, and then you can go about trying various things with your old Nano.

I like to also ask.  There is no way my nano ledger s does not turn on because I haven't did an update in a long time right?
No. The Ledger hardware does not have a built in "kill timer" which will brick your device if you do not update it in time.

Hi.  Well i bought this nano ledger 2.5 years ago and wrote the seed on piece of paper.  I never entered the seed on any device. 

Has there been cases of ledger repairing the screen without wiping the device though?  If they could do that... that would be great.  If there are any stories about this, then that would make me feel better as a backup. But if they do this, well their technician better make sure to never enter a pin because i read if you do it three times wrong, well your ledger s resets.  But if they fix the screen or do something to it... that wouldn't wipe the device?  Also you wouldn't need to be concerned about a technician doing something to it right?

So right now you suggest buy a new one from ledger first.  Enter the seed to see if it works on the nano ledger s.  If it works, then great.  But if it doesn't... then ask ledger if they could repair my old one and then send it in?  But has there been any cases of them repairing it and it not resetting is the big question here.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509
August 29, 2020, 03:32:33 PM
I wouldn't do anything to your current Nano at this point.

Since you say you haven't seen your seed phrase in months/years, and you never checked it was correct when you wrote it down, that Ledger Nano might be the only way to recover your coins. Although you cannot do anything with it at the moment, I would assume Ledger would be able to repair the screen without wiping the device. If you go messing around with it trying to fix the screen and reset it, only to discover your seed phrase is missing or incorrect, then your coins are lost forever.

Buy a new one (or some other hardware wallet), recover your seed to it, check you can access all your coins, and then you can go about trying various things with your old Nano.

I like to also ask.  There is no way my nano ledger s does not turn on because I haven't did an update in a long time right?
No. The Ledger hardware does not have a built in "kill timer" which will brick your device if you do not update it in time.
August 29, 2020, 03:19:11 PM
I like to also ask.  There is no way my nano ledger s does not turn on because I haven't did an update in a long time right?  The last time I did update was November of last year.  I heard a while back someone said they couldn't update their nano ledger s because their firmware was too old and they didn't update their nano ledger firmware for over two years I believe.  Someone told me around November last year, well the updates nano ledger done... even if you don't update it for a while, you should be always able to update firmware because they fixed the issue that some ppl had a long time ago with the very old firmware.

Would appreciate if anyone has advice on this.  Also did anyone here have their nano ledger s screen dim light?  And if so, did it even not turn on like me?  Again, the dim light is very hard to look at the screen... but someone told me they gave it to their friend and it still works for them.  Obviously the dim screen is very bad but I didn't know if it would just not turn on anymore.

August 29, 2020, 03:14:30 PM
Okay now my nano ledger s does not even turn on when connecting it to my laptop.  I had mentioned months ago when I connected it to my laptop, the screen was very dim and hard to read.  This was maybe 7 months ago. 

I haven't used it in some time nor did any updates to it mainly because I been out of the country for a very long time and my seed is back home in the US.  I also did not do any updates at all to my nano ledger s since November of last year... that was the last update I did... mainly because I was concerned an update would brick my nano ledger s since the screen was extremely dim light.  So basically I haven't touched it for months nor connected it to my laptop.  Someone told me they had their nano ledger s dim light as well and they bought a new one and gave that dimmed light one to a friend and they said it still works for them.  So I figure even if its dim light, no big deal and then once I get back to the US, i enter my seed my the dim light one to make sure it works... then buy a new nano ledger s .

The thing is i wrote my seed a few years ago when i first go the nano ledger s but I never entered it into my nano ledger s to confirm it but i did check it many times to make sure i wrote it correctly.  I recalled someone said a while back you could type it in the app on the nano ledger s to confirm it works but I never did it because at the time, I thought it was not safe even though the app is on the nano ledger s. 

Has anyone here had their nano ledger s not turn on and if so, is there any way to get it to turn back on somehow?  I will be heading back to the US soon and getting a new nano ledger s because of it.

I had considered sending my btc to my electrum wallet on my computer in the meantime or even send it to exchange like binance months ago since I wasn't going to head back to the US for months but I figure that isn't as safe as keeping it in my nano ledger s.

This is very frustrating for me now because of this.   

Does anyone have any advice here?  I want to try everything I can to see if I can get the nano ledger s to turn on.  I will be buying a new one once I head back to the US no matter what but now I will have to go back soon to get one because of this.
HCP
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 4314
March 30, 2020, 06:36:43 PM
I'm not sure why we're still going around and around on this Huh

First and foremost, you need to get access to your seed backup and check it. Given the current state of the world, the closed borders, the lack of flight availability etc, I'm not even sure you're going to be able to achieve this in a timely fashion. Undecided

As for the device, have you actually emailed ledger yet? The sooner you do that, the sooner you'll get your answers regarding whether or not they'll even replace it, the process involved, shipping timeframes etc.

Asking random people on an internet forum about a specific company's specific processes is not going to yield the results you want. TALK TO THE COMPANY! Roll Eyes
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
Farewell, Leo. You will be missed!
March 24, 2020, 03:27:50 PM
When your device reset, you are sure it was when you did the ledger live update?  Also do you guys want me to post a picture of my screen to show you oh dim the screen is?
I am 100% sure that it didn't happen during a firmware update but I can't remember now it if was during the update of Ledger Live or if I was doing something with the Account Manager. It doesn't matter, the point is that it can happen.

There is no need for you to show us your screen because I doubt we can do anything to help you with that. But if you insist, go ahead. Lets see how it looks.
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 3131
March 22, 2020, 03:13:03 PM
When you say touchscreen, you mean the nano ledger x right?  I did not thought it would that take long to type the seed but that makes sense.

No, I meant Trezor T. Nano X doesn't have a touchscreen.

Would you recommend getting a trezor instead?  I did hear it could be bruteforced with trezor when reading about it.  

It's a bit complicated and I don't want to derail this thread. Read this one instead.
March 22, 2020, 03:00:50 PM
When you say touchscreen, you mean the nano ledger x right?  I did not thought it would that take long to type the seed but that makes sense.

Well that person said it reset during ledger live update and i thought well unless your ledger was connected at the time, i didn't think that could happen.  But i heard cases where ppl just connect it to computer and it happens.

Would you recommend getting a trezor instead?  I did hear it could be bruteforced with trezor when reading about it. 
legendary
March 22, 2020, 02:50:10 PM
But on the nano you are basically going up and down the alphabet so it has to take a few minutes right?

Yes, it will take you at least 10 minutes to do it slowly. It takes me merely half of that on a touchscreen on Trezor T.

When your device reset, you are sure it was when you did the ledger live update?

The device might reset only during firmware update; not Ledger Live update. There was an issue with a certain update which caused random resets but it has been already fixed.
March 22, 2020, 02:28:37 PM
Okay so based on this, i will not do anything with my ledger until i have access to my seed.  Then i will enter the seed on the old ledger with the recovery check app to confirm if the seed is correct.  im curious but since you are typing that many words in the seed, thats gotta take you a few minutes right?  I remember when i entered the seed in electrum back when i used electrum, much quicker since you typing it in keyboard.  But on the nano you are basically going up and down the alphabet so it has to take a few minutes right?

Well that is why i also don't want to do firmware update now because i dont have my seed with me.  Yea i can get another wallet.  I mean if i had a backup wallet now, obviously that would be good. 

Yea i know that everytime i connect the device, there is a risk. Thing is i never heard of this previously.  Like a while back, i never heard a device can reset itself.  When your device reset, you are sure it was when you did the ledger live update?  Also do you guys want me to post a picture of my screen to show you oh dim the screen is?  Or based on what i described, this is pretty much a ledger that is faulty/hardware issue?
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
Farewell, Leo. You will be missed!
March 22, 2020, 06:51:00 AM
You are basically gambling with the safety of your funds jerry0. You need to test your seed and make sure it is 100% correct. Every time you plug in your device there is a small risk it will reset itself, for whatever reason. If you update your Ledger Live, it can also reset itself. It has happened in the past, to me as well. This is where your seed needs to be used.

At this point your number #1 priority is to make sure whether your seed is correct or not. If it is not, you have to move the funds off those accounts until you create a new one with 100% correct seed this time. 
legendary
March 22, 2020, 06:01:46 AM
Hi.  I don't have my seed right now at the moment.
If you don't have your seed phrase right now, then I wouldn't be thinking about wiping or returning your current advice. If you did, that leaves you with a single point of failure (your seed phrase), which you have already said you have never attempted to use and so can't be 100% sure it is correct. Wait until you have accessed and checked your seed phrase before you do anything.

I think i might just buy a new one first... then return this one if they allow it and send me an other ledger s... that way i have a backup.  You think thats good idea?
I have multiple hardware wallets. If you can afford more than one, then you will never regret having a back up.

As BitCryptex said, turn around time could be significantly prolonged at the moment, especially if you are geographically distant from Ledger's headquarters in France. If I were in your position, I would first confirm my backed up seed phrase was correct, then order a new Ledger device and duplicate my wallets on to it. Once I had done that, only then would I think about resetting my current device and sending it back to Ledger.
legendary
March 21, 2020, 07:37:58 PM
First you need to email them first with the issue right?

Yes, they have to decide if they are going to replace your device. Then they will ask you for shipping details and provide you with a pre-paid shipping label.

Do you recall how long was the day turnaround to send your nano x and then receive your replacement?

The support replied for the first time after 2 business days. The next replies were sent under half an hour. DHL delivered the package (from Poland to France) in 2 days and Ledger sent a replacement device on the next day. The whole process took a little bit over a week. Due to coronavirus, it might take some more time.
March 21, 2020, 07:18:12 PM
Do you recall how long was the day turnaround to send your nano x and then receive your replacement?  First you need to email them first with the issue right?  On the site says they can take up to ten days to respond.  Then it will take two to five days each way at least right?  Probably few days for processing as well so that could be three weeks total at least?
legendary
March 21, 2020, 06:50:47 PM
I didn't even confirm my seed is correct though but again i made sure to check many times it was correct when writing it down.  But the moment you download recovery check and type in the entire seed and its correct, then thats safe right?

That's correct. Next time, beside making sure that you have written it down correctly, you should also use 'Recovery Check'.

Thoughts on that?

Well, if you confirm that the recovery phrase is correct then there is no need for you to order another device unless you want to have a backup device which is not a bad idea.
March 21, 2020, 06:35:52 PM
Well my thoughts were say i were to send it back and reset it.  Yes i have the seed but say something happen to it... yea i know... then i dont have the device.   Well I never restored a backup ever.  I didn't even confirm my seed is correct though but again i made sure to check many times it was correct when writing it down.  But the moment you download recovery check and type in the entire seed and its correct, then thats safe right?

I thought safest way was first check if recovery check is right... then once its correct... order the new device.  Then enter seed into new one.  Then put in wrong pin three times on the old one to reset... then return it back to ledger for a brand new one.  That way i have two of them... one as a backup so to speak.  Thoughts on that?  Yea i know that sound very extreme but i dont like the idea of it taking at least a week for them to receive it and another week for me to receive it.  Does that make sense?
March 21, 2020, 06:30:56 PM
Hi.  I don't have my seed right now at the moment.  That is why i say this...  If i did, i do the recovery check app now.

I do have electrum installed on my regular computer.  I had kept my btc here for a long time on this same computer until i got a nano ledger s and then sent everything to it... in case i catch something on my laptop.  Thus i dont keep anything in electrum now.

Yea i will ask ledger on this.  Yea i know most likely they will ask me to return the device first.  I think i might just buy a new one first... then return this one if they allow it and send me an other ledger s... that way i have a backup.  You think thats good idea? 

I meant putting wrong pin multiple times to reset the device.  I phrased it wrong there.

Okay if device is reset, and someone can't get access to it. that is good.

legendary
March 21, 2020, 06:23:13 PM
I probably wouldn't do any of those options. If I had to send my current Ledger Nano back, I'd simply reset it and send it back. When the new one arrives, I'd enter my seed phrase on it from one of my back ups, and restore all my wallets. I know my back ups are correct because I have practiced restoring from them several times, and I have multiple back ups, so don't have a single point of failure even after I've reset my hardware wallet. Unless you are going to need to spend your coins in the interim, there is no need to restore to Electrum or move your coins from your current seed.

If you've never practiced restoring from your back up before, then you need to check it is correct before you reset your device.
legendary
March 21, 2020, 06:18:01 PM
Okay so had another hardware wallet to store it at.  But if you do not, what would you say is best thing to do?

It depends if you don't want to spend money or time. If you have a spare computer or laptop laying around then you can keep it offline, install Electrum and move your coins there. If you don't want to bother with that then buy another Ledger. Why don't use 'Recovery Check' to see if your seed is correct? You wouldn't have to consider these two options.

Just order a new nano ledger s and then type the same seed into it to restore it on new device and ask ledger to replace your dimmed nano ledger for a new one so you have an extra one?

First of all, contact Ledger to see if they are going to replace your device. I am 99% sure that they will ask you to return the device first so you will have to either move your funds or buy another device.

If you do this, do you recommend just using the same seed and then resetting the old one multiple times so its reset as oppose to using a brand new seed on the new one?

You don't have to reset your old device multiple times. Once is enough. I would use the old seed if it turned out to be working.

There is zero way someone could get access to your nano ledger wallet balance right assuming you put wrong pin three times and reset it?

It is impossible to recover the seed if the device was reseted.
Pages:
Jump to: