Pages:
Author

Topic: New 14nm miners??????? - page 4. (Read 5934 times)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100
July 06, 2014, 09:48:33 PM
"I am a Graduated Science Engineer major with a 3.84GPA from Atlantic City, NJ, USA. "

Scam...a person with the credentials offered would have not made this egregious grammar mistake

Yeah.  That's true.  I'm wondering when the improvment in ASICS will stop.

Uh, never.

Unless bitcoin and all other SHA-256 coins go bust. I'm guessing you don't want that.

But what's going to get better?  Optimization I guess.  Probably not nm.

Okay folks, a little computer history for you.

In 1990 the fastest consumer level computer you could get was a Mac II fx at 40MHz with 4 MB, expandable to 128 MB. That was 24 years ago.

How long have SHA-256 ASICs been around? 2 years?
Activity: 87
Merit: 10
July 06, 2014, 09:44:43 PM
http://igg.me/p/822701/x

What do you guys think?  Legit or scam?

If this is real it could mean that difficulty would go up even more and our old miners would become obselete even faster.

My thoughts:

1) A 14nm ASIC is unlikely to come from a crowd funded source with no ASIC experience.
2) There are many problems with scaling ASICs that have not necessary been solved.   The results may in fact be disappointing, maybe in the range of 1.6% faster and not as much power reduction as expected.
3) 14nm is very new and hasn't had time to mature.   

There will likely be smaller ASICs in coming years, but the huge gains are in.   No it is more of a factor of using more ASICs not vastly faster ASICs.

So I wonder if difficulty will plateau then?
Activity: 854
Merit: 510
July 06, 2014, 09:42:20 PM

If this is real it could mean that difficulty would go up even more and our old miners would become obselete even faster.

My thoughts:

1) A 14nm ASIC is unlikely to come from a crowd funded source with no ASIC experience.
2) There are many problems with scaling ASICs that have not necessary been solved.   The results may in fact be disappointing, maybe in the range of 1.6% faster and not as much power reduction as expected.
3) 14nm is very new and hasn't had time to mature.   

There will likely be smaller ASICs in coming years, but the huge gains are in.   No it is more of a factor of using more ASICs not vastly faster ASICs.
July 06, 2014, 09:36:40 PM
"I am a Graduated Science Engineer major with a 3.84GPA from Atlantic City, NJ, USA. "

Scam...a person with the credentials offered would have not made this egregious grammar mistake

Uh, never.

Unless bitcoin and all other SHA-256 coins go bust. I'm guessing you don't want that.

But what's going to get better?  Optimization I guess.  Probably not nm.
Activity: 196
July 06, 2014, 09:35:33 PM

Uh, never.

Activity: 121
July 06, 2014, 09:34:12 PM

never...technology will always get "better' given enough time and incentive for profit
July 06, 2014, 09:32:38 PM

Activity: 121
July 06, 2014, 09:31:03 PM

July 06, 2014, 09:24:13 PM

Pages:
Jump to: