Pages:
Author

Topic: New bitcoin.org Clients page - page 4. (Read 6051 times)

legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091
April 30, 2012, 07:43:01 PM
FWIW, here is a picture of my original suggestion, that should IMO still be open for voting on:

I like this the best. It's similar to Wikipedia "Comparison of x" articles, which is a format people are already familiar with. It'd need some explanatory text at the top and ideally info about every feature, though.

it probably needs more explanation than all the other texts combined. strongly vote against this one.

Indeed...  IMO new users will just be bewildered by all that info.

Activity: 991
Merit: 1008
April 30, 2012, 06:57:29 PM
FWIW, here is a picture of my original suggestion, that should IMO still be open for voting on:

I like this the best. It's similar to Wikipedia "Comparison of x" articles, which is a format people are already familiar with. It'd need some explanatory text at the top and ideally info about every feature, though.

it probably needs more explanation than all the other texts combined. strongly vote against this one.
administrator
Activity: 5166
Merit: 12850
April 30, 2012, 06:47:37 PM

legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
April 30, 2012, 06:25:36 PM

The single-developer-team-and-client centralization is the biggest flaw with the "decentralized" Bitcoin network right now, and making bitcoin.org client-neutral is essential to overcoming it. By providing an objective comparison table (rather than mere descriptions), users can see at a glance which client is most secure, faster to setup, etc, and make their own informed decision. Note that there is still a "default" client (Bitcoin-Qt) linked from the front page; this is a secondary "Clients" page users can find by clicking "(See all Bitcoin clients)".

Maybe some day in the future, we can have nice strict regulation on minimum security procedures for clients to be listed, but for now, not even Bitcoin-Qt consistently follows these recommended procedures. It is hypocritical to demand more from others.
Activity: 60
Merit: 10
dwda
April 30, 2012, 05:10:49 PM
I think either layout is fine. But what I have a stronger opinion on is the terminology used on that page.

When a new Bitcoin-user arrives on that page (a non-techie), he will think the following:
1) "What the hell is a "graphical interface" and how does that relate to Bitcoin"
2) "Are all these softwares equivalent? Do they serve the same purpose? Do I need one or several of them?"
3) "Which one is the official client?"

To solve these questions, I propose the following:
1) Change the "Graphical Interface" title to "Bitcoin Client Software"
2+3) Create little blub under the heading, saying "Below you will find several leading Bitcoin clients. Any of them will work for all basic Bitcoin functionality. Bitcoin-Qt is the original software, and if you're unsure which one to use, you should default to Bitcoin-Qt."  <-- I'd also append this last sentence to the beginning of the Bitcoin-Qt description. The current sentence "Bitcoin Qt is the frontend for the original code written by Satoshi" will be confusing/meaningless to any non-techie  Wink

Great idea to get these clients on that page!!

I think with the direction that consumer technology is going having multiple clients on the official .org domain may be a bad move.
A majority of the users that we want to adopt using bitcoin will be accustomed to the streamlined, simple, push-one-button-and-it-works interfaces of things like Apple's iPhone, instagram, twitter, etc.
These types of users may feel overwhelmed with the choice of multiple clients(Even with a recommendation)

It might be good to just attach some sort of Advanced/Intermediate(Could use different terminology, actually) link to the download of the official client that brings you to alt-client listing page such as this.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091
April 30, 2012, 04:49:59 PM

Let's not list other clients until we are assured they can (a) properly handle a block chain reorg and (b) properly handle BIP16 transactions, and do not have otherwise glaring usability or security issues that prevent mainstream endorsement and use.

Activity: 991
Merit: 1008
April 30, 2012, 03:57:30 PM
i agree. the original client should be very prominent and clearly be recommended as the default solution.
also the other clients should be at least in an advanced beta state before they should be mentioned at all.
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021
Democracy is the original 51% attack
April 30, 2012, 03:48:40 PM
I think either layout is fine. But what I have a stronger opinion on is the terminology used on that page.

When a new Bitcoin-user arrives on that page (a non-techie), he will think the following:
1) "What the hell is a "graphical interface" and how does that relate to Bitcoin"
2) "Are all these softwares equivalent? Do they serve the same purpose? Do I need one or several of them?"
3) "Which one is the official client?"

To solve these questions, I propose the following:
1) Change the "Graphical Interface" title to "Bitcoin Client Software"
2+3) Create little blub under the heading, saying "Below you will find several leading Bitcoin clients. Any of them will work for all basic Bitcoin functionality. Bitcoin-Qt is the original software, and if you're unsure which one to use, you should default to Bitcoin-Qt."  <-- I'd also append this last sentence to the beginning of the Bitcoin-Qt description. The current sentence "Bitcoin Qt is the frontend for the original code written by Satoshi" will be confusing/meaningless to any non-techie  Wink

Great idea to get these clients on that page!!

legendary
Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056
Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com
April 30, 2012, 03:45:50 PM
I think this is a great idea. There are so many good clients out there these days that there should be info on them at the official site. I voted on the vertical list btw, I like it better.
donator
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
April 30, 2012, 03:38:21 PM
Are you certain this addition will be merged into the main branch?
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1076
April 30, 2012, 03:33:53 PM

Both have their pros and cons. The vertical list allows bigger images and more text. Second one is more conducive to easy reading (less horizontal scanning and descriptions are shorter).

Thx for reading
Pages:
Jump to: