Pages:
Author

Topic: [NEW] Directpool.net -BTC- Fee 1% [Pay TX, PPLNS, NMC, Vardiff] Giving back - page 3. (Read 8913 times)

Activity: 255
Merit: 250
I need someone to explain exactly how DirectPool aims to prevent a 51% attack on the network. More specifically, what is different about DirectPool that would mitigate the risk of a 51% attack on the network?

Additionally, I am having a lot of trouble comprehending the "Community-First" aspect.

DirectPool wants to further prevent any possible future 51% atks by giving miners a choice to join DirectPool which we believe is a stable and secure mining pool. It's administered by active admin as well. By redistributing higher pool hashrates over to DirectPool, you'd be preventing the bigger pools from getting too big.

Main purpose of DirectPool that I think the article at CoinDesk could have covered a lot better about "Cummunity-First" is that DirectPool wants to help the Bitcoin Community and that's where BBA comes in to the picture.

BBA has some very well known names that will be supporting this project. ALL donations goto funding charities and worthy digital currency related projects. Miners will vote and choose which projects should get the fundings. (More on this coming soon)

x3

Activity: 388
I came across an article on CoinDesk about this with the title "DirectPool Aims To Prevent 51% Attack with Community-First Mining Pool Approach."

I read the article, and something is missing.

I come here, do a little research, and there is still something missing.

I need someone to explain exactly how DirectPool aims to prevent a 51% attack on the network. More specifically, what is different about DirectPool that would mitigate the risk of a 51% attack on the network?

Additionally, I am having a lot of trouble comprehending the "Community-First" aspect.

As it stands, all I see is another pool to point your miners at. I fail to see any sort of value add. Quite honestly, I fail to see any way DirectPool aims to prevent a 51% attack and I fail to see any way they are putting community first through their pool.

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

Your site is loading faster, thanks! are you guys working on any more pools to add to directpool??

np, yes we're working on a litecoin pool. It will also be running on a modified eloipool backend software.

More info will be posted soon

x3

Nice!!

Your site is loading faster, thanks! are you guys working on any more pools to add to directpool??

np, yes we're working on a litecoin pool. It will also be running on a modified eloipool backend software.

More info will be posted soon

x3
//Update

Dev team cleaned up junk coding to make the website load a lot faster.

Thank you to everyone that's supporting directpool. Please post here if anybody has any suggestions for us to consider.

Congratulations on getting up & running!

Any plans to introduce more merge mined coins? This will help bring in the crowds  Wink

Thx IYFTech. Currently the pool will stay NMC merge only (we might change that in the near future)

x3

//Update

Dev team cleaned up junk coding to make the website load a lot faster.

Thank you to everyone that's supporting directpool. Please post here if anybody has any suggestions for us to consider.

Any plans to introduce more merge mined coins? This will help bring in the crowds  Wink

Thx IYFTech. Currently the pool will stay NMC merge only (we might change that in the near future)

x3
Hmmmmm.....I'm not sure that giving BTCGuild such bad press is wise - they have already proven themselves to be honest & trustworthy with regards to your proposed 51% attack, indeed, they are probably the most reputable pool out there with outstanding customer support to boot (unlike other pools I wont mention **coughcexcough**).

Anyways, as much as I like the idea of "giving back", I'll keep my hashing power with my preferred multi-merged coin mining pool. I would urge you to reconsider other merge mine-able coins though. Good luck  Wink

"**coughcexcough**" lool

I like Btcguild and don't think that the above poster is giving them bad press. That reddit post is an old post that basically points out the issues of any 1 mining pool growing too big and becoming unhealthy for the bitcoin network. Bad press is what the mass media gives the bitcoin network everytime a bitcoin mining pool got close to 51% power.. it's ridiculous.. i've lately given up on alternative coins lol got killed trading/mining those too many times Cheesy  Cool
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
WANTED: Active dev to fix & re-write p2pool in C
Hmmmmm.....I'm not sure that giving BTCGuild such bad press is wise - they have already proven themselves to be honest & trustworthy with regards to your proposed 51% attack, indeed, they are probably the most reputable pool out there with outstanding customer support to boot (unlike other pools I wont mention **coughcexcough**).

Anyways, as much as I like the idea of "giving back", I'll keep my hashing power with my preferred multi-merged coin mining pool. I would urge you to reconsider other merge mine-able coins though. Good luck  Wink
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
+1 Here is the problem guys, this is very important. Please voice your opinion how you want; can we all agree on this? The problem is, at the current pace, either POOL A or POOL B (the name wouldn't matter in this case) because any pool will have market share and gain 51% of the network. Supporting Post (11 months ago- this was looked at with 1000+ upvotes) but today, I will remind you once again, let's protect the Bitcoin network: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1bq4ia/for_the_love_of_bitcoin_stop_mining_at_btc_guild/c98yp2k

/r/Bitcoin Redditor: DanielTaylor Comment Karma: 302 points  Posted about: 11 months ago

It doesn't matter if they're the good guys and say they won't abuse their power. If BTC Guild reaches +50% hashing power, they'll virtually control the network, be able to create forks, double spend or paralize Bitcoin. My local banker also says he's a good guy and I shouldn't worry about him. But that's not the point because Bitcoin is supposed to be decentralized, not centralized with a good guy in charge.

For miners: Theoretically it doesn't matter where you mine, you'll eventually get the same amount of Bitcoins. (It depends a bit on the payment method of the pool, but in the end all what matters is your hashing power).

If you think MTGOX was bad news for Bitcoin recently, wait until the media slams 'Bitcoin' for another reason why it should be considered dead because there was just a 51% Attack. I will make a stand and I refuse to let this happen. Let's not wait for the last minute to act on something- consider competition as a healthy option. When was the last time you moved your hash power? if less than 3 times, why not look at some new alternatives. Even if you mine on P2Pool.org (even tho not all ASICS are compatible I hear) its just a step in the right direction, that's all.

Sure, everyone has a choice to make, but there is now reasons to move hash power equally to a pool like DirectPool.  

I predict if any POOL gains market share, this is when Bitcoin is considered dead until another pool comes in to save the day. No one thinks about these challenges prior to considering a new pool for the very reasons of being 'too comfortable' where they are at, and don't think of the future affects and challenges it can cause.

Simply point your miners to DirectPool - you have literally nothing to lose, this pool will help avoid 51% attacks and has most of the problems solved

Note: DP charges 2% less in Pool Fees vs most popular pools.  
Bitcoin wasn't worth much not so long ago......but people still mined it. Now look at it.

Every little bit counts  Wink

Besides, if miners don't want the altcoins then they can be donated.......

It's true.. "every little bit counts" but this isn't a pool for all merge mine-able coins you see.. this is the bitcoin pool that is keen on keeping security in mind while making sure the pool is stable. It's a way to prevent future 51% attacks but also the best part.. to give back to the bitcoin community
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
Watch out for the "Neg-Rep-Dogie-Police".....
Bitcoin wasn't worth much not so long ago......but people still mined it. Now look at it.

Every little bit counts  Wink

Besides, if miners don't want the altcoins then they can be donated.......

Any plans to introduce more merge mined coins? This will help bring in the crowds  Wink

Which coins? I think that is why they attached Namecoin because its a merged mining pool, not sure though.

All of them. Currently it's possible to merge mine IXC, I0C, DVC, NMC, GRP & soon HUC (as soon as the bugs are ironed out) - might as well do the lot eh?  Wink

I had a chat with the pool dev of directpool and he basically said the reason they didn't want to add anymore coins was is because they aren't worth much at all. (Ixcoin, Devcoin, I0coin and Groupcoin) For example, in 24hrs of mining with 700gh/s, ixcoin will fetch you $0.03 only, Devcoin will fetch you $0.01... it's really not worth adding the extra load onto the pool servers. Namecoin has some worth.. but the rest don't in my opinion..

This definitely is a cool project and i'm just waiting for my neptunes to come thru and i'll be mining at directpool for sure.. 1% pool fee and donations goto helping bitcoin community grow... you can't go wrong with that   Cool
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
Watch out for the "Neg-Rep-Dogie-Police".....

Which coins? I think that is why they attached Namecoin because its a merged mining pool, not sure though.

All of them. Currently it's possible to merge mine IXC, I0C, DVC, NMC, GRP & soon HUC (as soon as the bugs are ironed out) - might as well do the lot eh?  Wink

Activity: 686
Merit: 500
WANTED: Active dev to fix & re-write p2pool in C

Thanks for inviting me into beta testing DirectPool.net

Congrats on the launch! I have created a guide to show users who own Scrypt ASIC miners
how to mine DirectPool.net (and my 2 cents review) https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/how-to-mine-with-lightningasic-hardware-on-directpoolnet-519078

Here is some screenshots of my new miners @ https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/pictureslightningasic-hardware-gridseeds-lightningasics-by-aj-miles-519093
Some nice exposure. Here you go: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/2014-03-15directpool-next-generation-mining-pool-for-bitcoin-that-gives-back-516984
You should update the "ANN" in your title to show the total pool hashspeed.

Your pool is looking really great. I love the layout!! I've posted the press release from your website here https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/2014-03-14-next-generation-bitcoin-mining-pool-that-gives-back-directpool-515834 I wasn't expecting this..so I have to say that i'm surprised that you guys are working with BBA to raise donations through this pool to be used for funding bitcoin startup projects... that's really good and noble in my books. Wish you all the best!! and will support you with your pool with my miners.  Cool

Hey thanks!

We are collaborating with Bitcoin Business Alliance (BBA) (http://bitcoinbusinessalliance.com) to handle any donations collected by directpool to be handled by them.

The plan is to have them accept applications from bitcoin startups looking for funds and if BBA decides that they are worthy enough, they will be put up for a voting poll at directpool.net website. Where miners will decide who the most worthy project is to be funded.

A lot more information on this will be released in the coming weeks.

Please support the pool with your miners especially if you are concerned about not enough redistribution of the total hashing power of bitcoin network.

Thanks everybody who is involved in this project and to those who will join us!!

x3
Pages:
Jump to: