Pages:
Author

Topic: New Official AMT Thread - page 96. (Read 149453 times)

legendary
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
Cryptotalk.org - Get paid for every post!
May 13, 2014, 05:43:54 PM
I may try my soon, are there any basic instructions for changing the pool? I was able to log onto the http panel before, maybe I can just change it in there... I have my boards in a case, so I would imagine I have to take the cage out and mount it the other way.

Yea that would be best. You could do it via the web console. Just be aware of the risk with that. Frictionless and I lost boards changing pools. Which is what makes me wonder if it is actually a software problem that can be fixed. If I fix it using software I will post detailed instructions on how to apply the firmware. I am sure those of us with giant paperweights could do with some good news in this. I know I can lol.

one of the rigs i have had a dabble with lost a chip due to changing the vridiff in a pool from 512 to 128 as soon as we clicked change diff it went poop. i would believe it could be due to the voltages as the card drops into free spool the volts rise say from 0.84-0.86 . my advice is putty into it type killall cgminer than go back to the web interface. then you should be safe as its not a hard hang

Can anyone post the cgiminer.conf file?  Could it be that the web interface is corrupting the cgminer.conf file?

Activity: 588
Merit: 500
May 13, 2014, 05:40:06 PM
I may try my soon, are there any basic instructions for changing the pool? I was able to log onto the http panel before, maybe I can just change it in there... I have my boards in a case, so I would imagine I have to take the cage out and mount it the other way.

Yea that would be best. You could do it via the web console. Just be aware of the risk with that. Frictionless and I lost boards changing pools. Which is what makes me wonder if it is actually a software problem that can be fixed. If I fix it using software I will post detailed instructions on how to apply the firmware. I am sure those of us with giant paperweights could do with some good news in this. I know I can lol.

one of the rigs i have had a dabble with lost a chip due to changing the vridiff in a pool from 512 to 128 as soon as we clicked change diff it went poop. i would believe it could be due to the voltages as the card drops into free spool the volts rise say from 0.84-0.86 . my advice is putty into it type killall cgminer than go back to the web interface. then you should be safe as its not a hard hang
legendary
May 13, 2014, 05:38:08 PM
Well, One card seems to have stopped responding...

Just after setting the target-temp from 60 to 65...

Have gone through the excruciating process of turning the unit on and off, about 50 times now, (only resulting in about 6 actual boots that don't get stuck at the "MONITOR" point... All with the same result... Only two modules detected...

Killing full power had no change. (Since cutting power at the switch still keeps power active on the +5v on many PSU's. For the USB device and backup power.)

In any event... It looks like it is software related. The delays are not great enough between detection's, and not long enough, or not even present, to "Write new data" when making changes. I don't think it even checks to see if the settings actually got saved. It just assumes they were a success. (IN my case, I don't think they were even finished writing, when I hit the reboot button. Thus, corrupting the write?)

Also the sequence for detection may be too fast... Not letting the cards get full power, before trying to detect them... Thus, failing at the monitor stage?

I heard that bitmine has a new image,  anyone want to try that image to see it it'll work?

Note:  I have a Bitmine backplane on my system.  It did work for a couple of minutes until I reset the pool settings.   Bitmine looks like is 100% compatible at the backplane level, therefore it probably is also true of the software.

Anyone know if the daughter board that is connect to the rhaspberry pi can be sourced elsewhere?  Is this a standard component?
legendary
May 13, 2014, 05:33:20 PM
I was wondering if part of the problem was the way they put on the thermal adhesive, perhaps it needed to be a 2 part epoxy, but only used one part?

I wonder if something like this would work better, 2 part adhesive:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arctic-Silver-AATA-5G-Alumina-Adhesive-Thermal-Epoxy-5g-/170708546413?pt=US_Thermal_Compounds_Supplies&hash=item27bf05b36d

Even still, not sure if that would be better than thermal grease:

Arctic Alumina Adhesive is a pure electrical insulator, neither electrically conductive nor capacitive.

Maybe cut something like this up?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150x60x25mm-High-Quality-Aluminum-Heat-Sink-Cooling-for-LED-Power-Memory-Chip-IC-/360744193465?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53fe078db9

The radio shack variety silicone based stuff works just fine. In the end though it likely is not that at all. There are clear electrical issues with the hardware. I am taking a look at the broken cards again and checking to see if there is any soldering issues or anything out of place that could have caused a short or a failure. I haven't had time to look at them. I am essentially sitting on two bricks I might not get a replacement for. I reached out to AMT to just replace these. Still have not heard back. Altho they could just show up on my door step at some point too unannounced. I guess we will see. The lawsuit probably has them on full gag so they may not even be able to talk to individual customers either. Least thats my thought.

I pulled out the heat sink from one of my broken boards.   The thermal appears to be spread out too much across the entire exposed base,  it really is unclear if there is any thermal connectivity with the heat sink.

I'm going to try some thermal paste that I have,  its a different kind,  it's white in color and keeps its form even with heat.  The usual silver kind normally starts to flow when heated,  and this likely is not want you want since if the board is positioned vertically, the paste will flow out of position.   

I'll see if I can acquire those heat sinks that you show.  Did you check the measurements to see if it'll fit?
Activity: 504
May 13, 2014, 05:28:38 PM
Well, One card seems to have stopped responding...

Just after setting the target-temp from 60 to 65...

Have gone through the excruciating process of turning the unit on and off, about 50 times now, (only resulting in about 6 actual boots that don't get stuck at the "MONITOR" point... All with the same result... Only two modules detected...

Killing full power had no change. (Since cutting power at the switch still keeps power active on the +5v on many PSU's. For the USB device and backup power.)

In any event... It looks like it is software related. The delays are not great enough between detection's, and not long enough, or not even present, to "Write new data" when making changes. I don't think it even checks to see if the settings actually got saved. It just assumes they were a success. (IN my case, I don't think they were even finished writing, when I hit the reboot button. Thus, corrupting the write?)

Also the sequence for detection may be too fast... Not letting the cards get full power, before trying to detect them... Thus, failing at the monitor stage?
legendary
May 13, 2014, 05:25:32 PM
So you mean, we don't have to modify the heat sinks? The way they are is fine?

The only recommendation I have is make sure there is some kind of airflow on the last card that has the little heatsinks....I used another fan to blow air on that because I was concerned that would blow out. But as ISAWHIM noted they get really hot. So it might not hurt to get some better heatsinks. I am looking into that and will make a recommendation once I find something that works.

That was the case on one of my miners which fried. That is the card that wont allow the system to power up. I have 5 others that can be plugged in but do not show up. I am hoping vainly that its a software issue but my guess is its not. This is one reason I am building the linux distro I am for these things. It could in all likelihood be a driver issue as the driver has been updated previously.

With my system,  I was able to see it hash for about a minute or so then it went dead.   That's 3 boards.  It went dead precisely when I had changed the pool locations.     When I run cgminer, it does not see any A1 chips even though the amt-setup command does show the presence of the boards.

So I am really unsure if it is also a software problem.  

That is an interesting bit of info, which supports my hypothesis. You switched pools THEN it went dead. I had a similar problem. Since the PI, backplane and daughtherboard still work, I am going to compile A1 support tonight for cgminer and see what happens. Right now I just have the pi plugged in by itself for purposes of getting the distro up and cgminer installed. After that I will plug all the hardware in (tonight if possible) and post results. Knock on wood and hope this was a software problem with SOME of the cards (I am only sure one card is dead). We are running a pretty old version of cgminer on the AMT/Bitmine systems. Updating to 4.3.3 MIGHT address some of this as the driver code is newer from what I saw on github.

Zombie miner project is a go...

Oh and if it works, I will post the image up for use. I am going just make it a general image for any hardware. Compiling support for various products. I would rather contribute to the community in that sense. While vendors are far more conservative with their firmware, its not always feasiable. But be aware this is at your own risk! I will test it best I can, make sure its stable. But any mods beyond my changes are on the user. I will post it in the software section later and link it here. Depending on how well things go tonight I may or may not get it up tonight. Either way tho it will happen this week. At the very least the distro will be up even if it does not fix our problem.

Oh... I thought it was just a coincindence!    This is a good lead then... switching the pool settings (other than AMT's default) kills the miners!    Not sure if this is deliberate,  but very devious indeed!

... wait... did you get it working?

where can I find the image?
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
May 13, 2014, 05:05:21 PM
The problem is I never changed anything, so it's on the default pool. Can I mine with it on the defaults? I would obviously have to make a worker somewhere...
Activity: 532
May 13, 2014, 05:03:25 PM

May 13, 2014, 05:00:37 PM
May 13, 2014, 04:53:58 PM

The only recommendation I have is make sure there is some kind of airflow on the last card that has the little heatsinks....I used another fan to blow air on that because I was concerned that would blow out. But as ISAWHIM noted they get really hot. So it might not hurt to get some better heatsinks. I am looking into that and will make a recommendation once I find something that works.

That was the case on one of my miners which fried. That is the card that wont allow the system to power up. I have 5 others that can be plugged in but do not show up. I am hoping vainly that its a software issue but my guess is its not. This is one reason I am building the linux distro I am for these things. It could in all likelihood be a driver issue as the driver has been updated previously.

With my system,  I was able to see it hash for about a minute or so then it went dead.   That's 3 boards.  It went dead precisely when I had changed the pool locations.     When I run cgminer, it does not see any A1 chips even though the amt-setup command does show the presence of the boards.

That is an interesting bit of info, which supports my hypothesis. You switched pools THEN it went dead. I had a similar problem. Since the PI, backplane and daughtherboard still work, I am going to compile A1 support tonight for cgminer and see what happens. Right now I just have the pi plugged in by itself for purposes of getting the distro up and cgminer installed. After that I will plug all the hardware in (tonight if possible) and post results. Knock on wood and hope this was a software problem with SOME of the cards (I am only sure one card is dead). We are running a pretty old version of cgminer on the AMT/Bitmine systems. Updating to 4.3.3 MIGHT address some of this as the driver code is newer from what I saw on github.

Zombie miner project is a go...

Oh and if it works, I will post the image up for use. I am going just make it a general image for any hardware. Compiling support for various products. I would rather contribute to the community in that sense. While vendors are far more conservative with their firmware, its not always feasiable. But be aware this is at your own risk! I will test it best I can, make sure its stable. But any mods beyond my changes are on the user. I will post it in the software section later and link it here. Depending on how well things go tonight I may or may not get it up tonight. Either way tho it will happen this week. At the very least the distro will be up even if it does not fix our problem.
legendary
May 13, 2014, 04:30:36 PM

May 13, 2014, 04:25:29 PM

The only recommendation I have is make sure there is some kind of airflow on the last card that has the little heatsinks....I used another fan to blow air on that because I was concerned that would blow out. But as ISAWHIM noted they get really hot. So it might not hurt to get some better heatsinks.

I think these would be ideal:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/18468/vid-224/Akust_Copper_Ramsink_Chip_Heatsink_-_22mm_x_8mm_x_5mm_-_8_Pack_RS00-0604-AKS.html?tl=g40c16
They have a larger surface area and not so large as to mess with other components. And its copper so heat transfer will be optimal. Plus due to the how they are shaped for airflow purposes will allow heat transfer right off the fins in a nice neat way. I am going to go with these myself. Price is right for the amount I get. Plus they are oriented perfectly for the cards.

Be sure before applying that the gunk from the previous ones is rubbed off with rubbing alcohol. But the overall surface area will be great for these. This could reduce some overheat issues (if thats the problem). AMT probably went with the ones they did for cost purposes. And they do work. But once you overclock its when there is a worry. Of course there could be a bunch of other reasons too. At any rate for your working hardware, just apply these. I think they are a safer bet. If anyone has better recommendations, well there probably are better options. I just could not find better for the price.
legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 2667
Evil beware: We have waffles!
May 13, 2014, 04:14:58 PM
The big sinks are fine. Wouldn't say that about the small chipsinks... Set the rig so the boards are horizontal and chip side up so they cannot slide/peel off. If they are chip side down, um... Still better than sideways.

Yes the thermal epoxies are great but permanent. I would not use that until a better chip-side heat sink solution is used.
legendary
May 13, 2014, 04:08:41 PM

The lawsuit probably has them on full gag so they may not even be able to talk to individual customers either. Least that's my thought.
Possibly correct but pretty damn sure that they would at least also be forced to give a vetted canned response to acknowledge us... I have never ever heard of a company essentially being gagged from ALL customer contact during a lawsuit.
May 13, 2014, 03:57:05 PM
May 13, 2014, 03:53:49 PM
I was wondering if part of the problem was the way they put on the thermal adhesive, perhaps it needed to be a 2 part epoxy, but only used one part?

I wonder if something like this would work better, 2 part adhesive:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arctic-Silver-AATA-5G-Alumina-Adhesive-Thermal-Epoxy-5g-/170708546413?pt=US_Thermal_Compounds_Supplies&hash=item27bf05b36d

Even still, not sure if that would be better than thermal grease:

Arctic Alumina Adhesive is a pure electrical insulator, neither electrically conductive nor capacitive.

Maybe cut something like this up?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150x60x25mm-High-Quality-Aluminum-Heat-Sink-Cooling-for-LED-Power-Memory-Chip-IC-/360744193465?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53fe078db9

The radio shack variety silicone based stuff works just fine. In the end though it likely is not that at all. There are clear electrical issues with the hardware. I am taking a look at the broken cards again and checking to see if there is any soldering issues or anything out of place that could have caused a short or a failure. I haven't had time to look at them. I am essentially sitting on two bricks I might not get a replacement for. I reached out to AMT to just replace these. Still have not heard back. Altho they could just show up on my door step at some point too unannounced. I guess we will see. The lawsuit probably has them on full gag so they may not even be able to talk to individual customers either. Least thats my thought.
plp
Activity: 39
Merit: 0
May 13, 2014, 03:38:31 PM
they have time to change there site ugh ... but no time to reply to any one ..

if any has a way to revive these boards ...... let us know ..
legendary
May 13, 2014, 01:46:07 PM
Now the million dollar question is how to bring the "dead" boards to life....Having 6 boards that are totally dead (one board preventing the system from even powering on). Any thoughts? Thanks again for all your help and contributions.

Would really like to know this... I got 3 boards that are definitely dead and 2 boards that are physically damaged from shipment.

I also have an non-existent support staff for my boards and no means of how to RMA them.

May 13, 2014, 11:26:05 AM
Hmm, there is a new PnP display/control interface for the RasPi. Called PiFace Tongue http://www.edn.com/electronics-products/raspberry-pi/4423743/Raspberry-Pi-control-and-display-interface-is-plug-and-play Wonder if any use here.

Think a faster/more memory Pi clone called BananaPi might help things? http://www.bananapi.org/

The existing PI is just fine for mining. The LCD screen tho is a nice to have. At the end of the day though for me its just about link lights and power on the machine....in the case of monitoring I do a build a NOC style setup using various monitoring tools. I consider all this ASIC hardware like I would an enterprise appliance. So I will monitor it in the same manner. The only aspect is to monitor hashrates. I am looking at cgwatcher BUT that requires proxying traffic through it for monitoring which means making a single worker using BFGminer.so that kinda sucks for me. I am working on my own scripts that polls cgminer's average hashrates every 2-5 minutes. Thats something on my roadmap to work on as I build out. Right now not an urgent priority for me personally. There are no real monitoring tools that cater to larger scale environments for measuring hashrates really.
legendary
May 13, 2014, 10:35:11 AM
Hmm, there is a new PnP display/control interface for the RasPi. Called PiFace Tongue http://www.edn.com/electronics-products/raspberry-pi/4423743/Raspberry-Pi-control-and-display-interface-is-plug-and-play Wonder if any use here.

Think a faster/more memory Pi clone called BananaPi might help things? http://www.bananapi.org/
Pages:
Jump to: