Author

Topic: Newbie restrictions - page 315. (Read 442041 times)

Activity: 50
Merit: 0
June 19, 2011, 04:35:43 PM
I understand the restrictions due to spam etc but it would be great to have someway to post to a topic still but it needs approval or something to show maybe from someone on that topic or something? 

Spam will always get through as people always seem to find a way with it. having people that make the topics moderate their own topicand not allow new members to post new topics for a while way work.
Activity: 6
June 19, 2011, 04:31:20 PM
Due to a mass of trolling, only established posters are able to post in non-newbie sections. You are considered "established" if you have spent 4 hours online and have made 5 posts.

If you have really good posts, you can post a request for preemptive whitelisting in the appropriate topic.

Also:
- You must have made one post in order to send PMs.
- You need 10 posts to put a link in your signature.
- You need 50 posts to put an image in your signature.

This is a nice idea. I assume using more "traditional" tools like CAPTCHAs, DNS blacklists, Akismet or blogspam.net are too resource intensive, right?
Activity: 15
June 19, 2011, 03:51:08 PM
I don't think I've ever joined a forum that required a minimum time browsing to post... If I would have known, I would have made an account a week ago.  Oh well... Hi everyone!
Activity: 454
Merit: 250
June 19, 2011, 03:50:13 PM
a shame the trolls ruin it for us noobs- I've tried to reply to a half a dozen posts but can't. so this is my first post...... I doubt I'll ever get that many posting just in the noob section- oh well
Activity: 14
June 19, 2011, 03:47:17 PM
Good policy improvement, I will need some help with my rig soon, but I will be established then :-)
Activity: 5
June 19, 2011, 03:38:04 PM
well, that explains it.
£
Merit: 1
June 19, 2011, 01:30:39 PM
Of course, everyone just replied to this post to get their count up Wink

That would just fill this thread up with pointless posts.

So I say 'no!'.

Wink
administrator
Activity: 5222
Merit: 13032
June 19, 2011, 01:15:37 PM
As I've mentioned a few times before, permissions will take up to 10 minutes to update after you meet the requirements.
Activity: 319
June 19, 2011, 01:06:26 PM
Due to a mass of trolling, only established posters are able to post in non-newbie sections. You are considered "established" if you have spent 4 hours online and have made 5 posts.

If you have really good posts, you can post a request for preemptive whitelisting in the appropriate topic.

Also:
- You must have made one post in order to send PMs.
- You need 10 posts to put a link in your signature.
- You need 50 posts to put an image in your signature.
I have 4 hours 8 mins and 5 posts. And I still can't post anywhere but Newbies section.

Did the requirements change?

EDIT: nevermind it caught up with me now.
Activity: 6
June 19, 2011, 01:01:59 PM
Of course, everyone just replied to this post to get their count up Wink
£
June 19, 2011, 12:41:25 PM
4 hours is indeed a long time.  It doesn't even seem accurate, is the forum aware of every moment that I have the tab open or something?
No it's not.  I have been in here for months and it still shows me at under two hours.

Yep, I've been browsing the various sections for quite a while now (pretty much the whole weekend) and I still only show 2 hours and 54 minutes.

Brilliant, nearly two hours later and my browsing time has gone from 2 hours and 54 minutes - to - 2 hours and 57 minutes !!

What are these, bitminutes ?

This used to be accurate months, and months ago, but It's taking me 15+ minutes of browsing to advance by a minute.

Yep, that's what I am getting, after an afternoon of browsing my time count only goes up by a few minutes.

Anyhow, not the end of the world I suppose, just frustrating.
Activity: 8
June 19, 2011, 12:32:23 PM
4 hours is indeed a long time.  It doesn't even seem accurate, is the forum aware of every moment that I have the tab open or something?
No it's not.  I have been in here for months and it still shows me at under two hours.

Yep, I've been browsing the various sections for quite a while now (pretty much the whole weekend) and I still only show 2 hours and 54 minutes.

Brilliant, nearly two hours later and my browsing time has gone from 2 hours and 54 minutes - to - 2 hours and 57 minutes !!

This used to be accurate months, and months ago, but It's taking me 15+ minutes of browsing to advance by a minute.
Activity: 65
Merit: 4
June 19, 2011, 12:23:24 PM
Sigh. Newbie zone. At least its not the usual 20 or more mandatory posts that most forums require.
Activity: 20
June 19, 2011, 12:16:32 PM
Restrictions are good and well so I make a basic Introduction I guess

New BitCoin User from Germany though I have no Problems with English, since yesterday I've done all the basic setup of the Client + Pool Software Setup
still waiting on the pending Transactions on Mt.Gox to get started and give this a real Test.
£
June 19, 2011, 12:13:07 PM

June 19, 2011, 12:02:48 PM
As much as I agree with the fact that something had to be done regarding spammers, it is utterly wrong to remove an individual's liberty because "someone" did something bad.
I will not even bother myself going into the political implications of a childish behaviour like "hey, SOMEONE did something wrong, and you are paying for it".

Bleh.

This isn't political and liberty only comes into play if someone is restricting someone rights through violence or the threat of violence, not when someone places restrictions on a service they offer freely.

It may not be the optimal way to prevent spam and is at the very least ridiculously annoying, but definitely not a restriction of 'rights.'
Activity: 435
June 19, 2011, 11:54:29 AM
As much as I agree with the fact that something had to be done regarding spammers, it is utterly wrong to remove an individual's liberty because "someone" did something bad.
I will not even bother myself going into the political implications of a childish behaviour like "hey, SOMEONE did something wrong, and you are paying for it".

Bleh.
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
June 19, 2011, 11:47:16 AM
Except now I have to make empty messages of content to get those 5 posts created so i can really post where i want hah...

See why must we post empty messages. Why can't you just up the logged in timer and be done with that. many of us browse this site and have been here for some time without posting anything.
Activity: 2
June 19, 2011, 11:40:41 AM
I seem to be having a problem.  I'm just here to PM [Tycho] for help with a problem on Deepbit.net (it won't send me my confirmation email), this being the only method to get help.  I've posted one post, and I still can't PM him.  Did the rules change since the first post on this thread?  Do I need to make more inane and pointless posts somewhere before I can PM him?

I appreciate the need to cut back on the spam, but I'm just trying to get my coins out of Deepbit.net, and the number of steps involved in making that happen is starting to get rather silly.
June 19, 2011, 11:22:57 AM
Makes sense if it's annoying regulars.

Indeed!
Jump to: