Pages:
Author

Topic: Newbies can now pay a small fee to enable images - page 14. (Read 54388 times)

Activity: 40
Merit: 0
Ow wonderful thanks for this brother. Lets have a try out in copper member but is it legal?
Activity: 66
I didnt knew that posting image in the forum is restricted for the newbies. I thought its general
Activity: 2576
Merit: 882
Freebitco.in Support https://bit.ly/2I9BVS2
Thats not fair to claim a money for everything and every privilages on this forum :"(

Nobody is forcing you to use the forum. You're already a Jr. Member, so you can post images anyway. Do you think the web hosting and the staff to run and moderate it are free as well?
Activity: 238
Merit: 1
"JOIN THE NEXT MEGATREND IN CRYPTO!"
Thats not fair to claim a money for everything and every privilages on this forum :"(
legendary
Activity: 3332
Merit: 6809
Cashback 15%
I would pay no fee and work hard to get it how many days may it take.
I think we can think it to be the another way to get merits poibt quickly after being ranked to copper
This is the second time I've seen you two posting one (almost) right after the other.  With the similarities in your usernames, I strongly suspect you're alt accounts, and you're both shitposters who can't write in proper English.  You'd best be careful when you sign up for campaigns, because you don't want to get caught abusing them with alts.

I'd also suggest doing much less posting, more reading, and figure out whether you really want to be posting in the English section of bitcointalk.  I don't believe you're qualified to do so, honestly.
staff
Activity: 1718
Merit: 1206
Yield.App
I would pay no fee and work hard to get it how many days may it take.

Copper Member is not earned by 'working hard'. It is for Newbies who wants to remove posting limitations, etc.
legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1338
Slava Ukraini!
IT would be great if one could pay with altcoins with less fees and faster transactions.

It's Bitcointalk, not altcointalk and this is why you can pay with BTC only. And currently Bitcoin transactions are cheap and fast
Activity: 49
Merit: 4
IT would be great if one could pay with altcoins with less fees and faster transactions.
Activity: 1400
Merit: 536
Obviously the title of copper looks very cool, really a very reasonable price if the charge is 0.00208333 BTC. Maybe I should think a bit, I hope it does not raise the price.
Activity: 47

45/5000
I am very happy to hear the news!
Activity: 168
By popular demand, newbies can now pay to have some of their restrictions lifted. If you pay the fee, you become a Copper Member, and you can post images. That's the main point of this: allowing newbies to post images. Additionally (and these might change depending on how things go), Copper Members currently have these bonuses:

- Some of the same permissions as Member-rank members, such as reduced signature styling restrictions. (But none of the PM-related restrictions are currently lifted, such as the style limit or per-hour PM limit.)
- Your "you must wait ____ seconds between ___" counter is reduced by 75%. So if you're naturally of Newbie rank, you only have to wait 360-75% = 90 seconds.

If you paid an "evil IP" registration fee, then whatever you paid (in BTC terms) is subtracted from the upgrade fee. If you paid a registration fee a long time ago, you might even get a free Copper Membership due to the increase in BTC price. Just visit the link at the bottom of this post to check whether you have it already.

I am aware that for most people the benefits of this membership are pretty lame. This membership is only intended to fill a specific niche; if you don't need it, don't buy it. It is not intended to be the lower-cost Donator/VIP alternative which I've talked about before as a possibility.

I wrote the system so that I can easily add additional paid memberships in the future, but I might not ever do so. Not sure.

You can buy it here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=credit;promote

good to know!!!
copper member
Activity: 47
Merit: 2
i'm copper member now. Cool
copper member
Activity: 630
Merit: 2610
If you don’t do PGP, you don’t do crypto!
New suggestion:

Accounts at Full Member rank or higher should be able to grant an “avatar blessing” to accounts which they openly disclose as their alts.  [...]

Example use case (other than mine):

Yes, I have it [Copper Memership] on my organization profile.  It works well for including images in posts.

Best regards,
Ben

Otherwise, any paid avatar option must be made too expensive for people who are seeking free money.  That should be balanced against not making it too expensive for individuals who are trying to bootstrap a small business on a shoestring budget (cough).

I think that at current rates, around 0.01 – 0.02 BTC would be a reasonable business-class expense (even for small business) while hopefully being cost-prohibitive to a Newbie who just wants to “use avatar campaign in the bounty”.

I would support Mr. Cassio's suggestion, but it may be complicated to track if someone transfers their accounts to others.  I do, however, agree with the concept that any paid upgrades should be sufficiently high in cost as to deter their use as a vehicle for spam.  A fair price for a fair service.  Perhaps removed from an account upon any spam violation, no tolerance policy?

I do think you may be right about tracking privileges given between accounts.  As for paid upgrades, I emphatically urge that any fee must be absolutely nonrefundable, and that moderation/bans be strict.  This is already the case with Copper Membership.  As I recently saw when setting up a special-purpose alt account, the current Copper Membership purchase page states:

I think the merit system is a great approach to cutting down on spam, over time that should have an increased effect.

Indeed.

Best regards,
Ben

Sorry to post here. I need it working in less than a month. I will delete once problem is solved.
I sent to 3PnU4WzCG1da3nSpzzeuVRiUwbDG7JcQnp, and my status is still newbie
Also sent an email to [email protected] to complain

Copper Membership does not change rank, and was never claimed to.  You are currently a Newbie with 28 activity.  If you purchase and wear Copper Membership, then your rank will continue to be “Newbie” with the title “Copper Member” added below it; and some restrictions (such as posting of images) will be relaxed.  This is the benefit which I enjoyed as a Newbie with Copper Membership.

There is no way to increase your rank above Newbie in less than a month.

Even if you pay for it, activation of Copper Membership is not automatic.  After the price is paid and the transaction is confirmed on the blockchain, you must go here and elect to “wear” your Copper Membership:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=credit;promote

E-mailing theymos will not help if you fail to heed basic instructions.
copper member
Activity: 22
✅✅✅Marbles✅✅✅
Sorry to post here. I need it working in less than a month. I will delete once problem is solved.
I sent to 3PnU4WzCG1da3nSpzzeuVRiUwbDG7JcQnp, and my status is still newbie
Also sent an email to [email protected] to complain
copper member
Activity: 630
Merit: 2610
If you don’t do PGP, you don’t do crypto!
Ah, the memories.  From a reply to me made eight days after I started actively posting:

PS
I've seen your account in the Copper member thread, and this Copper membership turns out to be an easy way to distinquish between shitposters and serious posters. Not many Newbies post stuff worth reading, well done Smiley

Reason 0 to buy Copper:  Amidst the spam flood (which was much worse before the start of the merit system!), Copper Membership helped draw people’s attention to my posts.  I only needed a way to get people to not skim past me in the crowd; from there, I can stand on my own merits.

Reason 1 to buy Copper:  The official primary feature of Copper Membership, namely, the ability to embed images while at Newbie rank.  This enhanced the quality of many of my early posts, such as this one from five days after I actively started posting (merited months later by several different people):

I guess they could identify you only once you cashed out. Other than that, your identity is safe (unless you have verified your identify in an online wallet, of course);

WRONG.  For but one of a hundred other ways your identities could be linked, even if you mix with CoinJoin, check out this pretty picture from a research paper I referenced in my earlier post on this thread:

Stop giving dangerously bad advice!

If I do say so myself, that’s an example of a Newbie-ranked post which needed an embedded image!

It is a bit unfair that I should need to pay so that I could provide better quality content for the forum.  But life isn’t fair.  I recognize the reason for restricting image embeds by Newbie accounts.  If a modest fee can resolve that problem, then I am willing to pay the fee.

Reason 2 to buy Copper:  Although it is not promised that this will continue, Copper Membership currently permits Newbies to wear a longer signature—with hyperlinks.  This is important to me:  From the moment I started actively posting, my signature has always carried my PGP key information.

For those who want to promote PGP use by PGP-fingerprint-sigspamming the forum with meritorious high-quality posts, Copper Membership is recommended (but not required!) for participation in my 😈😈😈 PGP 256% AIRDROP BOUNTY SIGNATURE SPAM CAMPAIGN for old-school CRYPTO! 😈😈😈.

Copper Membership—definitely worthwhile.  Endorsed by nullius.
copper member
Activity: 98
Merit: 12
BTRIC: Innovate. Institute. Labs.
New suggestion:

Accounts at Full Member rank or higher should be able to grant an “avatar blessing” to accounts which they openly disclose as their alts.  It would be reasonable to charge a modest, nonrefundable fee for the administrative overhead required to prevent this from being abused by account sellers (and/or people who would simply sell their “blessing”).  An express condition of such a scheme must be that the “blessing” is only valid as long as the same person controls both accounts.

Example use case (other than mine):

For example,if i post ICO Project in Altcoin Announcements my images will not displayed if i don't pay this little fee?

Almost the same question here. If I buy this status can I start ANN with images?

Yes, I have it on my organization profile.  It works well for including images in posts.

Best regards,
Ben

Otherwise, any paid avatar option must be made too expensive for people who are seeking free money.  That should be balanced against not making it too expensive for individuals who are trying to bootstrap a small business on a shoestring budget (cough).

I think that at current rates, around 0.01 – 0.02 BTC would be a reasonable business-class expense (even for small business) while hopefully being cost-prohibitive to a Newbie who just wants to “use avatar campaign in the bounty”.

I would support Mr. Cassio's suggestion, but it may be complicated to track if someone transfers their accounts to others.  I do, however, agree with the concept that any paid upgrades should be sufficiently high in cost as to deter their use as a vehicle for spam.  A fair price for a fair service.  Perhaps removed from an account upon any spam violation, no tolerance policy?

I think the merit system is a great approach to cutting down on spam, over time that should have an increased effect.  It will be great when the Bitcoin Discussion forum isn't filled with the same 20 items just tumbled around in a new combination of lexicon.  If you dare, as I have, to actually respond to some of these threads, you're confronted with masses of people that frankly, I don't know how they get on the Internet, much less posses any Bitcoin.  But hey, I never cease to be amazed at all of the variety that is "out there".

Best regards,
Ben
I just noticed mprep has Diamond Member tag on his profile, also hilariousandco with Gold Member
did theymos ever explain about this type of 'member'? these don't seem to fall in the same field with copper member
copper member listed as Position, while Gold/Diamond listed as Custom Title

There are 3 known ways to get a custom title that you can set to say whatever you want.

1) Donate 50 BTC and become a VIP.
2) Become a moderator.
3) Ask nicely for it.

Activity: 12
Merit: 2
OKEx - OK Jumpstart Phase II Rules Announced
I think we'd better wait upto Jr. Member if its only like that, because for us even a 0.002 btc is way more expensive but still for those member who'll be paying goodluck.
This is just my opinion as a newbie, I think its just a waste of money for only enabling the image feature for us newbies. Id better wait than paying Smiley
Activity: 1232
Merit: 738
Mixing reinvented for your privacy | chipmixer.com
I just noticed mprep has Diamond Member tag on his profile, also hilariousandco with Gold Member
did theymos ever explain about this type of 'member'? these don't seem to fall in the same field with copper member
copper member listed as Position, while Gold/Diamond listed as Custom Title

I think we'd better wait upto Jr. Member if its only like that, because for us even a 0.002 btc is way more expensive but still for those member who'll be paying goodluck.
This is just my opinion as a newbie, I think its just a waste of money for only enabling the image feature for us newbies. Id better wait than paying Smiley
By popular demand, newbies can now pay to have some of their restrictions lifted.
---snip---
That's the main point of this: allowing newbies to post images.
---snip---
I am aware that for most people the benefits of this membership are pretty lame. This membership is only intended to fill a specific niche; if you don't need it, don't buy it.

His post explained and pointed clearly the reason behind this copper membership creation
some other members bought it just for vanity reason Wink
What other problem do you think came out of this solution?
Merit selling, merit abuse, merit farner

That is only a tempory issue. They are fast running out of the distributed sMerit to abuse and it is clearly observable that there is very little still happening.

By making it impossible for account farmers to rank up the merit system has cut off the influx of spammers. That is getting to the root cause of the problem.
That is not the right calculation here, ealier on

It is not a calculation. It is fact that alt accounts are getting caught and tagged red all the time. Before the merit system, they would just be easily replaced by farming more accounts. Now it is very difficult for them to do that.

Another thing, the amount that will be collected from ico spammers will be tiny comparing to ads, so the answer is NO, NO and NO!
If the amount that will be collected from ico spammers will be tiny comparing to ads then why would we need the alternative cryptocurrencies at all where all the ICO spamming is happening, just close it and why would we need signature which one way this ICO spammer thriving here.

The question is why need signature and alternative cryptocurrencies at all? what is the reason having to keep it despite its bring disaster to the forum and there is no monetary gain keeping it in the system.

theymos has always held the attitude that the people that provide the content to the forum should be able to benefit financially from doing so if they wish. That libertarian attitude has been exploited by spammers, especially those paying with worthless pre-mine tokens. The Merit system is an excellent way to deal with that and it is after only 1.5 months already starting to have a positive effect. Give it 6 months and I think you'll see much more.

Pages:
Jump to: