Pages:
Author

Topic: Official Anoncoin chat thread (including history) - page 4. (Read 530489 times)

legendary
Activity: 1202
Merit: 1015
can you please post information here regarding mining anoncoin on new algo. the information is a bit scarse as of now.
Activity: 20
Merit: 1
I am happy that this thread is still active.
I agree! Anoncoin is a nostalgic coin! Some merchants have traded ANC in recent months, I will wait for a lower price to buy some.

2013 is a rare vintage.  I'm excited to release our next version, complete with a pretty unique vision for Anoncoin.  The architecture is completely different than almost every other cryptocurrency, so the white paper takes time, and security and peer audit takes time.  Suffice it to say that we are working hard on this and will have news about our roadmap soon.

Activity: 1149
Merit: 347
I am happy that this thread is still active.
I agree! Anoncoin is a nostalgic coin! Some merchants have traded ANC in recent months, I will wait for a lower price to buy some.
Activity: 22
Merit: 0
Hi @Switzer, I'm very interested in helping out the ANC team. I could help with the website, design, reddit, etc... Please send me a PM when you have a moment. Thanks!

If anyone else would like to help out as we transition from Anoncoin to Anoncash, please step forward!  Here are some of the jobs we need to accomplish:

White paper review
Tokenomics review
Mobile app engineering (wallets)
Updating Anoncoin website for Anoncash
Updating Reddit channel template
Reddit channel moderation

Our team is is growing - please join!
Say, regarding Slack: is there anything to see in the design channel, or is it empty? Because for me, it looks empty and when I try to load more posts, Slacks asks me to move to a paid membership.

Design channel is largely empty for now.  Once we start discussing logo, branding, currency notes, etc., we will use this channel.
Activity: 994
Merit: 513
I can't wait to see it. As I said, I think the old logo is brilliant and one of the best logos in this space. I hope the new one doesn't diverge too much from it. I mean, I can see the need for more color, but the shape itself is as good as it gets.

We'll release it to the Slack community first, to get their thoughts, and then to other groups like BCT and Reddit.  It is different, simpler.  Keep an open mind Smiley

I am also very anxious to see how the "sending pictures" thing will work out, and how it will look. I hope it's not yet another slew of Pepes Wink

We will also be releasing this on the design channel of Slack first.  No Pepe's.  They are beautiful.

Say, regarding Slack: is there anything to see in the design channel, or is it empty? Because for me, it looks empty and when I try to load more posts, Slacks asks me to move to a paid membership.
I can't wait to see it. As I said, I think the old logo is brilliant and one of the best logos in this space. I hope the new one doesn't diverge too much from it. I mean, I can see the need for more color, but the shape itself is as good as it gets.

We'll release it to the Slack community first, to get their thoughts, and then to other groups like BCT and Reddit.  It is different, simpler.  Keep an open mind Smiley

I am also very anxious to see how the "sending pictures" thing will work out, and how it will look. I hope it's not yet another slew of Pepes Wink

We will also be releasing this on the design channel of Slack first.  No Pepe's.  They are beautiful.
(…))

By the way, the new logo is hideous. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but all this green stuff around the original logo is… bad. The old logo is brilliant.

That is not our new logo - the green thing is the old one (which was not an improvement from the black logo).  I will share the new logo concept later this month.

So, I took a look at the slack, but there isn't much there, to be honest. The design channel seems empty and most talk seems to be about mining. Maybe I missed the good stuff, but that's what it looked to me.

Yes - these are the Anoncoin channels, and the most recent change was a change in PoW algorithm - so lots of people have mining questions.  The Anoncash channels are closed for the dev team, but we are using public Anoncoin channels until these get set up.

By the way, the new logo is hideous. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but all this green stuff around the original logo is… bad. The old logo is brilliant.

That is not our new logo - the green thing is the old one (which was not an improvement from the black logo).  I will share the new logo concept later this month.

So people are working on this, huh. I was just about to fire up my old design skills.

We need lots of help!  If you have design skills, do you want to try updating our Twitter and Reddit profile?  We have done some work on a logo and color palette.  Can I encourage you to join our Slack?  I'll add you to the design channel where we could go into more detail.

Here is the slack invite link again:
https://join.slack.com/t/anoncoin/shared_invite/enQtMjcxMzUxMjk5ODYwLTU0OTJhNmIxNzYyY2JiMzUxOGZhMjYzNmQ3YmViNWM1OWIxZGNlMGY0Zjg1NzdhMDAyZmRiYTFhNTM1OWZiYTU

If anyone else would like to help out as we transition from Anoncoin to Anoncash, please step forward!  Here are some of the jobs we need to accomplish:

• White paper review
  • Tokenomics review
  • Mobile app engineering (wallets)
  • Updating Anoncoin website for Anoncash
  • Updating Reddit channel template
  • Reddit channel moderation

So, I took a look at the slack, but there isn't much there, to be honest. The design channel seems empty and most talk seems to be about mining. Maybe I missed the good stuff, but that's what it looked to me.

So people are working on this, huh. I was just about to fire up my old design skills.

We need lots of help!  If you have design skills, do you want to try updating our Twitter and Reddit profile?  We have done some work on a logo and color palette.  Can I encourage you to join our Slack?  I'll add you to the design channel where we could go into more detail.

Here is the slack invite link again:
https://join.slack.com/t/anoncoin/shared_invite/enQtMjcxMzUxMjk5ODYwLTU0OTJhNmIxNzYyY2JiMzUxOGZhMjYzNmQ3YmViNWM1OWIxZGNlMGY0Zjg1NzdhMDAyZmRiYTFhNTM1OWZiYTU

• White paper review
  • Tokenomics review
  • Mobile app engineering (wallets)
  • Updating Anoncoin website for Anoncash
  • Updating Reddit channel template
  • Reddit channel moderation

Dude, we are talking digital collectibles now. Or special edition notes. Or at the very least nicely designed bank notes. Awwwwwwww yaaaassssss… This gets me excited.

Me too.  The note images are outstanding, but not yet ready to be released to the wild.  Things like this seem to get copied quickly - we will wait for a bit on this Smiley

Dude, we are talking digital collectibles now. Or special edition notes. Or at the very least nicely designed bank notes. Awwwwwwww yaaaassssss… This gets me excited.

Me too.  The note images are outstanding, but not yet ready to be released to the wild.  Things like this seem to get copied quickly - we will wait for a bit on this Smiley
Hm, this is an interesting observation. I kinda agree in the sense that blockchain itself is a very different beast than cash. I don't necessarily see, why it would be inferior, provided you manage to get a realistic transaction throughput. Do you have any estimations regarding scaling?

I don't think that blockchain vs. cash units are superior or inferior to one another.  They are different, with different use cases.

This is a question I haven't really figured out for myself yet. In a lot of ways, I am a Bitcoin maximalist (or rather "mostimalist". Not my word, I stole it somewhere). I think ultimately, a few projects will come to dominate the others, which will wither and die away.

On the other side, I think having a diverse ecosystem with vastly different approaches is of great importance to keep resilience. So, having something like you describe is in any case a good thing.

Maybe its just me, but there is something quite nice about having a cash unit embedded into an image.  Seems like the masses have conquered sending images between phones by now.

Ooooh, I haven't even thought of that… You mean, there is a visual representation for the notes?

Hm, this is an interesting observation. I kinda agree in the sense that blockchain itself is a very different beast than cash. I don't necessarily see, why it would be inferior, provided you manage to get a realistic transaction throughput. Do you have any estimations regarding scaling?

I don't think that blockchain vs. cash units are superior or inferior to one another.  They are different, with different use cases.  Maybe its just me, but there is something quite nice about having a cash unit embedded into an image.  Seems like the masses have conquered sending images between phones by now.

I've also been under the impression that eCash needed trusted intermediaries in the form of banks to verify the validity of a "note". As you stated already, Sybil attacks seem the biggest problem.

Yes decentralized nodes supply the proof of authenticity of a note by validating note signatures, cosigning notes, and destroying/creating cash units (when they are transferred).  Still lots of work to do even if they do not maintain a ledger!

I assume "Anonbanks" need collateral to be eligible to participate?

We are simulating different methods here, including staking.

I see some overlap in the approach Republic Protocol uses to manage a decentralized darkpool over a number of nodes; especially in regards to how they manage to keep an order hidden until it is met with a fitting buy/sell. I'm not sure whether that is anything of interest to you, but from a technical concept, it might be woth taking a look.

I'll check it out!

Is there a rough timeframe? Like, are we talking weeks, months, a year to "mainnet"?

I'll publish the roadmap shortly.  I'd say on the order of months.
(…)

As we designed Anoncash, it became apparent that cash was not really being represented well using a ledger based cryptocurrency like Bitcoin, Monero, or 99.9% of the other cryptocurrencies.

(…)

I've also been under the impression that eCash needed trusted intermediaries in the form of banks to verify the validity of a "note". As you stated already, Sybil attacks seem the biggest problem.

I assume "Anonbanks" need collateral to be eligible to participate?

I see some overlap in the approach Republic Protocol uses to manage a decentralized darkpool over a number of nodes; especially in regards to how they manage to keep an order hidden until it is met with a fitting buy/sell. I'm not sure whether that is anything of interest to you, but from a technical concept, it might be woth taking a look.

Is there a rough timeframe? Like, are we talking weeks, months, a year to "mainnet"?
The mechanisms described sound somewhat similar to Digicashs eCash system. Are there similarities, or is that by accident?

[Meeh] has hundreds of white papers on his laptop, and he has read every word of most of them.  He shares the most relevant with me (e.g. ones that are so important that even a conceptual understanding is necessary).  Digicash white paper was one of the first he shared with me.  I went down the rabbit hole of reading David Chaum's groundbreaking inventions in the 1980's and why now is the time for these technologies to be used by the masses.

As we designed Anoncash, it became apparent that cash was not really being represented well using a ledger based cryptocurrency like Bitcoin, Monero, or 99.9% of the other cryptocurrencies.

We see Anoncash as a great way to keep cash in the economy as currency moves to the digital age.  There are so many use cases of introducing alternative currencies to help out local economies.  We are building Anoncash to be the perfect currency to support this.

The broader Anoncoin community is 100+, and you can find us on Slack most of the time (look elsewhere in this thread for a join link).  

Sorry was a bit lazy before.  The Slack channel join link is here:

Thanks a lot for the detailed answer.

The mechanisms described sound somewhat similar to Digicashs eCash system. Are there similarities, or is that by accident?

Regarding Slack, I won't find much time in the next few days to get involved, but I'll take a look as soon as possible. I can't really contribute much, apart from stupid questions and maybe a new logo or some graphics if needed. I'm not good with websites, though…
The broader Anoncoin community is 100+, and you can find us on Slack most of the time (look elsewhere in this thread for a join link).  

Sorry was a bit lazy before.  The Slack channel join link is here:

Very interesting. How are the decentralized banks rewarded? What types of attacks are possible and how are they mitigated or punished?

I have so many more questions Cheesy

Like, how big is the team?
Are you (switzer) somewhat of a liason for this forum? What is your afiliation with the project?
What's the best channel to learn more about the technical details?
...and pretty much all the technical stuff.

I should say up front that while we have a draft specification and the majority of code, lots of changes could be made based on how Anoncash performs in simulation and in the wild.  That said:

The decentralized bank nodes are rewarded using a proof of cosigning (and punished if they provide a false signature).  What that means is when they participate in cosigning an Anoncash note, they have one chance in the lottery for "mining rewards".  More verifications, more chances.  The full consensus model is still being simulated to make sure the chances of attacks like Sybill attacks are minimized, but this is the current thought process.

Team
The core Anoncash team is about 5, including myself.  The broader Anoncoin community is 100+, and you can find us on Slack most of the time (look elsewhere in this thread for a join link).  We are all technical, [Meeh] does the majority of the core engineering, and others perform non-core engineering tasks.  We are looking for more contributors.  I will release the roadmap shortly so you can get an idea of where we are headed (which I am quite excited about!)

In general, [oyvkva] and I [switzer] are the main liaisons for the forum.  I met Meeh and oyvkva face to face about 4 months ago, and it was clear to me that these two were building something special with Anoncash.  From that point I wanted to be involved, and I feel lucky to be a part of this core team.

We have a draft of the technical white paper.  We will discuss parts of it here and in Slack until it solidifies.  At that point we will release the paper.

Pages:
Jump to: