Pages:
Author

Topic: Official Bitcoin Unicode Character? - page 2. (Read 83734 times)

Activity: 154
Merit: 101
Bitcoin!
November 01, 2011, 01:57:25 AM
Now that was a long thread to read through.  I want to revive this topic.  What about if we use a B symbol with double vertical lines that only come out of the top and bottom of the B, similar to what are on the casascius coins and the official bitcoin client icon?

Activity: 70
Merit: 10
Only a curious passer-by / FirstBits: 13zsc1
July 31, 2011, 05:07:36 PM
I don't understand people who says "We can't use ฿ because is used by Thai Baht".

In Latin America most countries use $ as their own money symbol, same with countries which use "dollars" (not US dollars).

This only has one "con": It's not present on keyboard layouts.

Activity: 616
Merit: 500
Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)
July 21, 2011, 05:08:01 PM
The votes are pretty much meaningless if not all alternatives are present
Activity: 371
Merit: 250
July 21, 2011, 03:55:32 PM
Bump to get more votes, since votes are good.
Activity: 16
Merit: 0
July 19, 2011, 11:42:37 AM
Hi all, if you agree, please merge all serious proposals and requirement for Bitcoin sign here: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Bitcoin_symbol#New_Unicode_symbol in order to have a clear and high quality overview in stead of them being distributed over many long posts. Of course the posts remain useful in discussing proposed Bitcoin signs.

I think you missed this project http://www.ecogex.com/bitcoin/
Forum discussion: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=9562.20
Activity: 23
July 19, 2011, 11:05:52 AM
Hi all, if you agree, please merge all serious proposals and requirement for Bitcoin sign here: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Bitcoin_symbol#New_Unicode_symbol in order to have a clear and high quality overview in stead of them being distributed over many long posts. Of course the posts remain useful in discussing proposed Bitcoin signs.
Activity: 56
June 26, 2011, 05:47:08 PM
What I'd like to know is, Why this fascination with writing down on paper the symbol of a digital currency?

Since when does dealing with currency digitally make it irrelevant to hand-writing?

Look at the dollar symbol, for example. Excluding all scenarios where money is being moved or transferred, it's still probably the most commonly written on paper in the US.

Children learn to write currency symbols in school, people write of them in journals, on post-it notes, scraps of paper. Most of the world does not have a computer in their home.

Not being able to write down a symbol representing currency easily would serve as a handicap. People need to be able to express themselves how they want on paper and digitally.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
June 26, 2011, 05:40:23 PM
What I'd like to know is, Why this fascination with writing down on paper the symbol of a digital currency?
Activity: 56
June 26, 2011, 05:27:36 PM
My Idea and explanation:
Done roughly in MS paint:
https://i.imgur.com/vVRc3.jpg

Anyways, I think whatever the symbol is it should be both easy to identify and easy to write on paper, and not overly complex.

My symbol is basically a modified lower-case 'b' with an extension of the vertical line, a slightly more ovular semi-circle than normal which slightly protrudes out of the vertical line (giving it the subtle impression of a reversed 'c').

What do you guys think?
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
firstbits: 121vnq
June 26, 2011, 05:17:46 PM
/b/

?
Activity: 371
June 26, 2011, 05:17:32 PM
I think the lower case "b" in a circle is perfect since bytes use a capital "B" (i.e. 23 MB) and bits use a lowercase "b" (1024 Mbps). So the lowercase "b" would be the "bit" and the circle would be a coin.  Grin

That's impeccable logic, and I agree with you that this would be an excellent symbol (if a symbol is needed). It's easily remembered, easily handwritten, and already present in Unicode.

+1
legendary
Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029
June 26, 2011, 04:38:32 PM
Instead of ฿ or β, why don't stick with good old B?
Activity: 112
June 26, 2011, 04:31:38 PM
how about a cursive lower case "b"?

Well, ß isn't lowercase or cursive but it's in pretty much all commonly used character sets and fonts. Smiley

And it also seems more international (yeah, pretty unscientific comment, I know) which Bitcoin itself is supposed to be.
Activity: 322
June 26, 2011, 04:24:39 PM
how about a cursive lower case "b"?
Activity: 64
June 25, 2011, 10:44:09 AM

Or this?
Activity: 64
June 25, 2011, 10:18:48 AM

How about something like that?

I apologize if that design has already been proposed - I didn't read through all 13 pages.
Activity: 39
June 25, 2011, 09:26:10 AM
[facepalm].  Wow.  This brings back memories of July 2010 when this thread was started almost a year ago.  People think they're clever by adding a new curve or slash to a "b" or extending a previous design with an extra loop or rotating.  Wow.  That's all I can say.

All I'm saying is, do your homework. That was my design I posted, and there's another guy who actually uses a much better version as his avatar.

Sorry my comment unintentionally came across as belittling you, but I actually liked your design myrkul.  Simple and sleek.  I was actually intending to just make fun of this newbie peak for being so late in the game.
e...In fact I went through all of 13 pages before post my design. It have some differnece from myrkul's or TiagoTiago's. It's a vertical line with clockwise spiral, not a 'b' in an anti clock open circle. People will be more clear on how to write it at one stroke, isn't it?
Activity: 9
June 25, 2011, 09:17:43 AM
Hi,
I like the already mentioned @-stile b, but I think it looks better with the circle clockwise.
Something like this:
http://s1.directupload.net/images/110625/frpdlb27.png

But I also like the idea of using the greek beta character because it's already available in fonts.

Regards,
twinpeaks
legendary
Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029
June 25, 2011, 07:51:35 AM
I went for Ⓑ. Bitcoins are not bahts.
Activity: 112
June 25, 2011, 04:55:42 AM
How about the three bars? ≡ (alt+240)

It looks like horizontal "bits" or 1's.

I still think we should go with ß! It's more mnemonic, it's readily available even on most systems that aren't Unicode, it's usually not too hard to type even on an English keyboard. Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: