Author

Topic: OFFICIAL CGMINER mining software thread for linux/win/osx/mips/arm/r-pi 4.11.0 - page 306. (Read 5805537 times)

Activity: 658
Merit: 250
Somehow my Jalapeno hashrate dropped from 5.75GH/s to about 5.55GH/s. It had been mining stable at full speed for over a week previously. The drop happened after I briefly ran the Jalapeno with BitMinter client during some maintenance, but that might be purely coincidental. BitMinter client was also showing over 5.7GH/s during the short time I tried it. I've tried running the same cgminer binary that produced 5.75GH/s, and the newest version from git, but the Jalapeno just won't hash faster than 5.55GH/s now. Even the temps are about 5C lower now. Any ideas how the hashrate would suddenly plummet like that permanently?

EDIT: I moved this question to BFL forums (https://forums.butterflylabs.com/jalapeno-single-sc-support/3136-jalapeno-hashrate-dropped-200mh-s.html). If anyone has anyone insight that might be a better place to answer, so people searching through Google etc. would actually find the answer.
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060
Probably 8, 4a power supply is the best ive found.

How much was that?? Get a rosewill for $25.

Can it power 10 Erupter USB's reliably ?
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067
Christian Antkow

Can it power 10 Erupter USB's reliably ?
Activity: 981
Merit: 500
DIV - Your "Virtual Life" Secured and Decentralize
The USBG-4U3ML 4 port USB 3.0 metal hub from www.coolgear.com works great on my raspberry pi with a BFL FPGA single and Wireless keyboard with touchpad. They are a bit spendy but it handles 1A per port.
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

i used 3.2.1 but didn't recognize the usb asicminers. Perhaps because i use a usb 3.0 hub ?
Yeah that was going to be the next thing to sort out, USB 3.0

Well poop Sad I guess this explains why 3.2.0+ it doesn't work on any of our Anker 10 port hubs, huh ?  Undecided
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067
Christian Antkow
i used 3.2.1 but didn't recognize the usb asicminers. Perhaps because i use a usb 3.0 hub ?

Well poop Sad I guess this explains why 3.2.0+ it doesn't work on any of our Anker 10 port hubs, huh ?  Undecided
Activity: 208
Merit: 100
hey guys

I have 3 gpus in my system 1 apu and 2 dedicated gpus, how can i startup cgminer with the third gpu (gpu 2) turned off? I tried setting intensity to 0 but that doesn't work.

Do I specify it via the -d switch? If so what is the syntax?

Thanks
-d 0-1 --remove-disabled

I added that to my bat file and i get "invalid device number"

fyi:
GPU 0 = 6950
GPU 1 = 5770
GPU 2 = APU

Thanks for your help
What is the output of 'cgminer -n' ?

[2013-06-08 11:52:52] CL Platform 0 vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
 [2013-06-08 11:52:52] CL Platform 0 name: AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
 [2013-06-08 11:52:52] CL Platform 0 version: OpenCL 1.2 AMD-APP (938.2)
 [2013-06-08 11:52:52] Platform 0 devices: 3
 [2013-06-08 11:52:52]  0       Cayman
 [2013-06-08 11:52:52]  1       Juniper
 [2013-06-08 11:52:52]  2       Scrapper
 [2013-06-08 11:52:52] GPU 0 AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series hardware monitoring enabled
 [2013-06-08 11:52:52] GPU 1 ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series hardware monitoring enabled
 [2013-06-08 11:52:52] GPU 2 AMD Radeon HD 7480D hardware monitoring enabled
 [2013-06-08 11:52:52] Failed to ADL_Overdrive5_FanSpeedInfo_Get
 [2013-06-08 11:52:52] 3 GPU devices max detected
 [2013-06-08 11:52:52] USB all: found 8 devices - listing known devices
 [2013-06-08 11:52:52] No known USB devices

Also I'm using worksize of 128, would it better for me to use 256? Or is 256 only good for 7XXX series amd gpus?
Activity: 29
Merit: 0
Version 3.1.1 still remains the most stable release for your hardware, but bear in mind you will need to use zadig to re-associate the device with the ftdi driver instead of WinUSB when you go back to it. 3.2.0 did not work at all for AMU devices so if you're trying the new code, use 3.2.0. 3.2.1a is just a binary built for older versions of ubuntu and no different to 3.2.1.

Compiling it yourself will not make it more stable as my builds should be optimal - the only advantage to building yourself is you can build a stripped down version containing support only for the hardware you want to use, and assuming you're on windows, compiling it is FAR from trivial.

That almost sounds like a challenge ... but life is short - I'll download 3.1.1, thanks.
legendary
Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001
This is a very long thread and my google searches have not discovered anything.

My question is has anyone seen cgminer fail to update the "Block" it is working on even though
in the output you see that "Stratum from pool 0 has detected a new block"?

I am using 3.1.1. I am mining with --scrypt. It does not happen right away. The cgminer program
might have to be running for a week. I have seen it happen a couple of times now on different
mining computers.

I wanted to check the CHANGELOG but it appears to not contain anything.

Simply closing the program and reopening it fixes the issue.

So I am asking here. Thanks.

Just trying to get my question some attention. Bumping to the next page so it does not get lost.

Thanks.
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
This thread is hard to follow - so apologies if this is already posted. Maybe there should be a new one per release?

Trying version 3.2.1 for a new Asicminer USB with Windows 7 x64, cgminer crashes with segmentation fault when I enable debug output. With debug output turned off it runs for about a minute, but keeps failing with AMU0: Comms error (rerr=-9 amt=0)

With version 3.2.0 it kept failing with ""AMU: cgid 0 SetBaud got err 4". I saw something about version 3.2.1a but that seems to be for Ubuntu? If it would help to send a stack trace are there debug symbols for the windows release about?

Next steps are to try another machine, and maybe try and compile from GIT if there aren't too many dependencies.

Version 3.1.1 still remains the most stable release for your hardware, but bear in mind you will need to use zadig to re-associate the device with the ftdi driver instead of WinUSB when you go back to it. 3.2.0 did not work at all for AMU devices so if you're trying the new code, use 3.2.1. 3.2.1a is just a binary built for older versions of ubuntu and no different to 3.2.1.

Compiling it yourself will not make it more stable as my builds should be optimal - the only advantage to building yourself is you can build a stripped down version containing support only for the hardware you want to use, and assuming you're on windows, compiling it is FAR from trivial.
Activity: 29
Merit: 0
This thread is hard to follow - so apologies if this is already posted. Maybe there should be a new one per release?

Trying version 3.2.1 for a new Asicminer USB with Windows 7 x64, cgminer crashes with segmentation fault when I enable debug output. With debug output turned off it runs for about a minute, but keeps failing with AMU0: Comms error (rerr=-9 amt=0)

With version 3.2.0 it kept failing with ""AMU: cgid 0 SetBaud got err 4". I saw something about version 3.2.1a but that seems to be for Ubuntu? If it would help to send a stack trace are there debug symbols for the windows release about?

Next steps are to try another machine, and maybe try and compile from GIT if there aren't too many dependencies.
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
Are there any known Avalon hashrate regressions? I tried latest FW with 3.2.1 cgminer and both Avalons have lower hasrate (the difference from the last FW is around 1Ghash).
It looks there are more HW errors, but I'm not 100% sure.
The old avalon code lied about the hashrate and lied about the hardware errors. It counted hardware errors as hashrate (and since it's a hardware error it can't be valid hashes that it's doing) and didn't count "no matching work" scenarios as hardware errors. So the new code will appear to have a lower hashrate and a higher hw error count, but in fact it's doing more useful work and just not lying about the rates (along with all the other benefits in the new code).
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

But there is still another AMU problem I'm looking at first - 'SICK' on the RPi that I get also - looking into it ...
I'd not tried the RPi due to the fact that for me, linux crashes when I plug my powered hub with the AMU into my RPi Tongue
Though I found last night I can plug in the hub first then the AMU and it doesn't.
(Probably the hubs fault, but it works OK now if I order it the right way, and 3.1.1a works also ... so I can reproduce the problem ...)
legendary
Activity: 3583
Merit: 1094
Think for yourself
And I got back missing 150MH by seting cards to 10 and 12. So I'm on full speed now. I know it is not the internet since I have tested the cards on another computer before installing it and they worked... I still think it is a bug...

EDIT: So that much about getting slower over 8...

Has your WU: increased as well?
Activity: 107
Merit: 10
Are there any known Avalon hashrate regressions? I tried latest FW with 3.2.1 cgminer and both Avalons have lower hasrate (the difference from the last FW is around 1Ghash).
It looks there are more HW errors, but I'm not 100% sure.
Activity: 231
I am running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.... Have 1 GPU, 1 BFL single fpga and 8 Block Erupters plugged into this machine.

Using cgminer 64 bit 3.2.1 the block erupters keep going zombie, after about an hour I have 21 zombies.. the good thing is they keep getting reset and keep right on hashing... but this can't be a good thing.... Kano, should I get and try your patch 3.2.1a?  can I help add some more info....

The BLF and the GPU are fine and stable.

Naelr

Ok after zombies made my console go off the screen I stoped and restarted and almost instantly AMU 8 zombied and restarted.

OK downloaded Kano's patch and so far so good 10 mins no zombies... my brains are safe I think.

edit: spoke too soon... 2 zombies
Activity: 89
Merit: 10

Have the same problem. Followed all the steps. I'm on ubuntu 12.04.

Edit:

Never mind, It works  Cheesy. However, I need to start cgminer and then restart it again in the menu, in order to detect the USB sticks.
You might want to try that. Also, check if cgminer detects the USB miners without the hub. If so, the problem is probably in the hub.
Activity: 231
I am running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.... Have 1 GPU, 1 BFL single fpga and 8 Block Erupters plugged into this machine.

Using cgminer 64 bit 3.2.1 the block erupters keep going zombie, after about an hour I have 21 zombies.. the good thing is they keep getting reset and keep right on hashing... but this can't be a good thing.... Kano, should I get and try your patch 3.2.1a?  can I help add some more info....

The BLF and the GPU are fine and stable.

Naelr

Ok after zombies made my console go off the screen I stoped and restarted and almost instantly AMU 8 zombied and restarted.
legendary
Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001
This is a very long thread and my google searches have not discovered anything.

My question is has anyone seen cgminer fail to update the "Block" it is working on even though
in the output you see that "Stratum from pool 0 has detected a new block"?

I am using 3.1.1. I am mining with --scrypt. It does not happen right away. The cgminer program
might have to be running for a week. I have seen it happen a couple of times now on different
mining computers.

I wanted to check the CHANGELOG but it appears to not contain anything.

Simply closing the program and reopening it fixes the issue.

So I am asking here. Thanks.
Activity: 826
Merit: 1000
Whatever... I figure it out but I don't know why this works... I have changed difficulty from 2 to 8 and now I can set intensity to whatever I like. And I got back missing 150MH by seting cards to 10 and 12. So I'm on full speed now. I know it is not the internet since I have tested the cards on another computer before installing it and they worked... I still think it is a bug...

EDIT: So that much about getting slower over 8...
Sounds like the CPU (or 100% CPU utilization AMD driver bug) is your bottleneck and not the bus.  If you have a dual core or hyperthreading, 50% CPU = 100% CPU Utilization because cgminer is single-threaded.  I apologize if that last (italicized) statement isn't true, because I don't know it to be fact from reviewing any code.  To clarify, I haven't run cgminer in Windows in a long time, but when I did, it seemed to be the case (it might be something else related to the drivers that is single threaded).  Regardless, the point is that by increasing the difficulty, you reduced the number of shares that cgminer had to use the processor to validate, allowing more processor time to generate and distribute work.  That having been said, if cgminer is still using 50% CPU, that is still wasting a lot of electricity and may not be worth the additional 150MH/s and/or the additional variance the higher difficulty will bring.
Nope one core. AMD 145... 35W on full and less then 50% usage... Pool is DMG so variance is not big issue. I got it working. I don't know why but it works. And I will not fix it until it brakes again...

Is there any performance benefits to 3.2.1 over 3.1.1? yeah, i know ya changed how the drivers work, but i'm wondering if i really need to upgrade a dedicated rig with ASICminers and one small GPU since i currently have 3.1.1 working. I'm kind of thinking "if it ain't broke, doen't fix it.".
It spouse to be less HW errors... So yes...

Ok, thanks. i'm not seeing many hardware errors, maybe 1 per 15 minutes, if that.
Well I'm still using 2.11.4 since there is something in 3.x that makes it disconnect from my pool every now and then... So I'm also a fan of don't fix it if it is not broken... Hire uptime is important...
Jump to: