Author

Topic: OFFICIAL CGMINER mining software thread for linux/win/osx/mips/arm/r-pi 4.11.0 - page 385. (Read 5805537 times)

-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/

Hi! May I ask you where do I get the bflsc drivers?
Why, do you have one? The drivers are incomplete since the hardware doesn't exist outside of BFL labs yet so we have not posted any of the code.

I wish to have mine! But I was thinking about having the cgminer built and ready when my bfl arrives sometime in the future (I hope!)
It will definitely be available before you get yours.
Activity: 547
Merit: 105
Bitcoin ya no es el futuro, es el presente

Why, do you have one? The drivers are incomplete since the hardware doesn't exist outside of BFL labs yet so we have not posted any of the code.

I wish to have mine! But I was thinking about having the cgminer built and ready when my bfl arrives sometime in the future (I hope!)
Activity: 81
Merit: 1002
It was only the wind.
That's no reason to continue using deprecated technology. CGMiner could also be a 16-bit binary.
You missed the point. CGMiner is also deprecated software for deprecated technology (GPUs).
Well, if you consider the fact that shortly, when indeed GPU mining will be deprecated, that the crappy clone will ONLY be using the old termios serial IO libraries that were designed around 30 or more years ago, meanwhile, cgminer has been updated to use the libusb library to talk directly to the USB devices rather than via the old serial libraries that put an old interface in front of the USB devices and restrict access to most of the USB functionality ... yes it's quite clear that the clone is old technology and written using the serial library because the guy who wrote it was not only fail in programming ability he chose the simplest interface with the most restrictions coz he had no idea what he was doing ...
You mean the current, supported, standard interface, instead of bypassing it to use a low-level interface that has no benefit whatsoever.

It's like writing your own TCP/IP stack instead of using the one included in the OS. Not only is it stupidly redundant, it also means you've lost support, driver updates, ease of use, forward compatibility with new hardware, and regular-user-mode access.

Speed might be a reason to use libusb rather than 30 year old serial I/O libs... Just saying...
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
It was only the wind.
That's no reason to continue using deprecated technology. CGMiner could also be a 16-bit binary.
You missed the point. CGMiner is also deprecated software for deprecated technology (GPUs).

Haha, as long as scrypt chains exist, I don't think GPUs are gonna be deprecated for a long time.
Activity: 547
Merit: 105
Bitcoin ya no es el futuro, es el presente

Thanks!
Activity: 61
Merit: 0
I have a 7950 and I just added a 7970 to my computer.  Is there a way to run 2 instances of cgminer so I can use different workers and different bin files?  I would think my 7970 would need to use a different bin file to get the most performance.  I guess I just need help figuring out how to set it up.  When I launched it right away both cards started mining, but I did notice my 7950 was mining a little slower than it did as a single card.  Is that normal?

EDIT:
The khash is only a couple lower, not a big deal.  I do need to figure out what to do though.  After I overclocked the 7970 it is still going slower than the 7950, so I am obviously not doing something right.

EDIT:
Someone helped me.  The command is --device 0 or --device 1 etc.

EDIT:
Still getting very slow speeds.  Only about 450khash no mater what I do.  I did see that trixx reports that card is running @ x8 1.1 - don't know if that matters for LTC.

I tried removing and re-installing drivers, but that didn't make a difference.

EDIT:

Following this guide: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1635964

After I delete bins and enter: setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
Then simply run: cgminer --scrypt -I 13 --device 0 -o stratum+tcp://stratum.give-me-ltc.com:3333 -u myuser -p mypassword
I get about 550khash.  Then ANY changes I try to make (such as --worksize 256 or whatever) all give me lower speeds.  Here is what the bin file name is that it generated: scrypt130302Tahitiglg2tc22400w64l4.bin
Again, this is for my 7970.
Activity: 924
Merit: 501
Dual 6870s are not well supported and need a specific driver and sdk combo. What, I can't tell you offhand since they are so rare.

It worked before with 12.3 in conjunction with cgminer 2.7.5.  Any idea what you changed from 2.7.5 to 2.11.3?    ;-)   Or... how can I get back to 2.7.5?

Nevermind... Downgrading cgminer did not fix my problem.

But this guide did:  https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/building-a-rock-solid-multi-gpu-linux-mining-rig-with-centos-60-170516
It was only the wind.
CGMiner has nanosleep and sleep declared, which fucks the build for x86_64-w64-mingw32. Also, pthreads are not listed in the dependencies, and there is no option in configure to specify the prefix for pthreads.
We don't support building for w64 since it serves no useful advantage over 32 bit builds.
BFGMiner has w64-related bugs fixed and officially supported.

-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
Dual 6870s are not well supported and need a specific driver and sdk combo. What, I can't tell you offhand since they are so rare.
Activity: 924
Merit: 501
problem:

$ ./cgminer -n
 [2013-03-31 14:05:49] CL Platform 0 vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
 [2013-03-31 14:05:49] CL Platform 0 name: AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
 [2013-03-31 14:05:49] CL Platform 0 version: OpenCL 1.1 AMD-APP-SDK-v2.4 (595.10)
 [2013-03-31 14:05:49] Error -1: Getting Device IDs (num)
 [2013-03-31 14:05:49] clDevicesNum returned error, no GPUs usable
 [2013-03-31 14:05:49] 0 GPU devices max detected
$

Tho

aticonfig --lsa
* 0. 06:00.0 AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
  1. 07:00.0 AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
* - Default adapter

thoughts?
Usual initial advice: Have you installed AMD driver, configured Xorg for all your devices, started it and exported the DISPLAY variable.

Yessir.  I've installed several versions of the AMD driver, at the moment I'm working with 12.3 which I think is V8.951.  I configure Xorg using the standard   aticonfig -f --adapters=all --initial  .  Yes I exported export DISPLAY=:0

What I did is take two perfectly working machines and upgrade the kernel and f'd myself in the process so I'm trying to get back to where I was.  The big screw was once I got the kernel upgraded I could no longer see one of my cards.  Not even with lspci, so I'm returning to the known working kernel after a reformat.

I'm happy to use any linux if there is a better version.  Because my cards are 6870x2 (with 2 gpu's per card) I have problems.. the only native drivers for the card are winblows based.  So there are weird things that happen:

Code:
 [P]ool management [G]PU management [S]ettings [D]isplay options [Q]uit
 GPU 0:  88.0C 425531RPM | 252.0M/251.0Mh/s | A:5948 R:22 HW:0 U:3.50/m I: 4
 GPU 1: 100.0C 100%    | 280.1M/278.6Mh/s | A:6705 R:15 HW:0 U:3.94/m I: 4

see the speed of the first fan reported in actual RPM vs a percent... I don't know if others see that.  This is a single pci-e card reporting the two gpus.  I did have 4 gpu churning along fine before the "upgrade" (2 x 6870x2).  

I went to
Code:
cd /use/share/ati 
./amd-uninstall.sh -force
on reboot enter init 3 by hitting "a" and adding a "3" to the end of the command line ...
yum install fglrx64_p_i_c... (which I had minutes before built upon this very machine)
on reboot enter init 3 by hitting "a" and adding a "3" to the end of the command line ...
aticonfig -f --adapters=all --initial  
init 5

all works as expected I compile cgminer just fine even showing access to GPU's but on run

Code:
$ ./cgminer -n
 [2013-03-31 14:05:49] CL Platform 0 version: OpenCL 1.1 AMD-APP-SDK-v2.4 (595.10)
$

POW/BANG/CRASH
no love.  

I saw a blurb in bgminer where a guy modified a line in ocl.c but my ocl.c is slighly different from his.  Here's his ?fix?  to a similar error.

Any and all advice welcome.  Thanks!

Initial post:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1711097

Solution post (step by step installation under CEntOS):
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/building-a-rock-solid-multi-gpu-linux-mining-rig-with-centos-60-170516
Activity: 12
Merit: 0
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
How can I use my computer while mining with cgminer?

I'm currently mining Bitcoins and Litecoins, (AMD 5850)
for Bitcoins I use 'GUIMiner' using 'OpenCL miner',
for Litecoins I use 'GUIMiner-scrypt' using 'cgminer'.

Now, for Bitcoins I just add the flags "-v -w128 -f 60" and it works extremely fast even when I play BF3 and nothing shatters (If I play heavy graphics games it will go down to ~150Mha/s tops, and when I finish playing it jumps back to ~300Mah/s), the computer works flawlessly,

but for Litecoins whenever I use the flag "-I d" it goes down to 10% of it's power (from 325Kha/s to 30-20Kha/s) even when I just look at the computer!

So again, my question is, is there any way to have the same experience with performance while using the computer with cgminer?
Or, alternatively, is there anyway I can mine Litecoins with GPU, using the computer at the same time and still have maximum performance as I just demonstrated that I have with OpenCL miner?

thanks for the help, hope I gave all the details necessary!
Yes, that IS the experience with scrypt in dynamic mode. You have to sacrifice loads of hashing performance for the desktop to be usable. Alternatively find a static intensity where you can deal with the lag.
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
problem:

$ ./cgminer -n
$

Tho

aticonfig --lsa
* 0. 06:00.0 AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
  1. 07:00.0 AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
* - Default adapter

thoughts?
Usual initial advice: Have you installed AMD driver, configured Xorg for all your devices, started it and exported the DISPLAY variable.
Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
So there is currently no way to do it with cgminer? Sad

And my card is not OCed, can I raise the speed without OCing it, or is that the only way?

In my experience that's not a cgminer problem (using -I d for sha256d like Bitcoin works fine), but a scrypt problem: sha256d barely uses the RAM of your graphic card but scrypt uses it heavily so it probably interferes more with other programs using the graphic card.

So it is something cgminer has to start optimizing especiialy for scrypt?[...]

I'm not sure there's anything cgminer can do about it. You probably can tune cgminer to use less graphic RAM at the expense of mining performance though (use less threads and/or larger gaps, see SCRYPT-README) but I'm not sure how much it could help.

Anyway scrypt was chosen because it supposedly would be slower on GPUs than CPUs even if it has been proven wrong it's no surprise it will cause problems on GPUs that sha256d doesn't cause...
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1000
The boys are sleeping now...
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
could it be that the download page for the miner is down/extremely slow?
And can i get the files somewhere else? i want to start mining NVC but i need a miner first :p
Yes it is possibly having DDoS problems
Come visit IRC for an alternate
Activity: 323
Merit: 250
could it be that the download page for the miner is down/extremely slow?
And can i get the files somewhere else? i want to start mining NVC but i need a miner first :p
Jump to: