Author

Topic: OFFICIAL CGMINER mining software thread for linux/win/osx/mips/arm/r-pi 4.11.0 - page 457. (Read 5805537 times)

Activity: 351
Merit: 250
Thanks for all the hard work on 2.8.7, it rocks!

It seems there is small anomaly with the .config file. If I have multiple pools in the config file AND I'm using the stratum+tcp:// uri AND the stratum+tcp:// pool is not the first line in the config file, then the stratum+tcp:// pool is reported as dead.

If works fine if you are using stratum with http and letting cgminer redirect to the stratum uri - just not if you explicitly call out stratum+tcp.
legendary
Activity: 1795
Merit: 1208
This is not OK.
I think commit 8bd8696854 got the bug I was having. No segfaults in nearly 4 days now Smiley
Well spotted!
Activity: 481
Merit: 500
Con, can you tell us anything about the progress with BFL ASIC support?  Please choose one of the following:

1.  I can't talk about it, I'm under NDA.
2.  I've logged in remotely to their servers and have poked around a little.
3.  I've logged in remotely and have already begun creating code for BFL's ASIC to work with cgminer.
4.  I have no plans to log in remotely to BFL and won't do anything until they send me some real hardware.
5.  I have real hardware in hand and am working on the code.
6.  I won't support BFL ASIC because I won't develop for them for free and they haven't paid me yet.

-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
2.8.7 version of cgminer has been working for me smooth on my 7970 rig in windows. Before that i saw random crashes with erlier versions, good job.
Yay, much appreciate the feedback, especially when it's good  Wink
Activity: 555
Merit: 504
2.8.7 version of cgminer has been working for me smooth on my 7970 rig in windows. Before that i saw random crashes with erlier versions, good job.
Activity: 504
Scattering my bits around the net since 1980
For P2Pool, it only matters if you were shooting for a higher diff share to begin with. Then you get a bigger slice of the reward for your higher diff share, but since you'll be finding less of them, it is still supposed to balance out.

Just getting a high diff share alone won't do it.

So, if you were shooting for a share at 702.33721188 or above, and hit a  2267613.78728177 diff share, your share is credited with the ~702 value... but if you have overridden your mining to look for diff 2000.00000000 shares or above instead, and hit that ~2267613 diff share, then your share is credited with the 2000 value.

Keeping track of that 2267613 is just for e-penis credit Smiley

-- Smoov
Activity: 591
Right, so whichever question he was asking, we answered it both ways. Tongue
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
Well, not just p2pool but any non-pps pool will be making you more money after you've found the block. So proportional, DGM, slush scoring, smpps etc etc all will increase their returns to you as a result of you finding it.
I don't know of any other pool that rewards the finder of the block with an extra subsidy though.

But your not going to get more pay just because it's a higher difficulty share, are you?  You'll get the same pay if it's a 4M diff share or an 8M diff share, right?  I believe that was the original question.
True. It was a little difficult to tell which part he was asking about.
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1306111 <- what he said ...
Well, not just p2pool but any non-pps pool will be making you more money after you've found the block. So proportional, DGM, slush scoring, smpps etc etc all will increase their returns to you as a result of you finding it.
I don't know of any other pool that rewards the finder of the block with an extra subsidy though.

But your not going to get more pay just because it's a higher difficulty share, are you?  You'll get the same pay if it's a 4M diff share or an 8M diff share, right?  I believe that was the original question.
True. It was a little difficult to tell which part he was asking about.
legendary
Activity: 3583
Merit: 1094
Think for yourself

legendary
Activity: 3583
Merit: 1094
Think for yourself
I shouldn't need 'dummy plugs' to get the other adapter to work, should I?

Maybe you shouldn't need it, but it probably wouldn't hurt either.

I use Catalyst 12.1 with two GPU's and if I don't use a dummy plug I'll have weird problems that the plug seems to resolve.
Sam
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
Very true. Some have lotteries and whatnot occasionally but not regularly.
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
I got a share that registered a diff of 7.58M  Grin

That was a block solve for mtred since current difficulty is just over 3 million. Smiley

What does that mean? Does it mean you make more coins or something?
Not unless you're mining on p2pool. Tongue

That was a block solve for mtred since current difficulty is just over 3 million. Smiley

Not unless you're mining on p2pool. Tongue
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

No.

The share difficulty must be above the work difficulty for it to count as valid work.
How far above it is, makes no different to it's share value.

If it is above the network difficulty, it also represent s a block for the pool.

... i.e. it's purely information of interest to some Smiley
Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Activity: 163
Merit: 100
Well darn .. You are quite right. 'cgminer -n' does show only 1. It says that ADL doesn't match OpenCL. I read about that with the gpu-map command but am still a bit confused.

I have the entries with their PCI IDs in the xorg.conf that match with the output of 'aticonfig --list-adapters'. I shouldn't need 'dummy plugs' to get the other adapter to work, should I?
Right, you shouldn't need dummy plugs unless you have a driver before about 11.6 or something. I still suspect your xorg config. is wrong, or you're not really exporting the display variable. Also it's worth noting people have had looots of trouble with recent drivers and last good was something like 12.8. Can you show us the actual output from cgminer -n ?

Absolutely. I'll provide any information needed. This is the first machine I've had multiple GPUs in (Linux or Windows), so I admit to being a bit clueless in their setup. I've done multiple displays under Linux, but only one GPU at a time.

Spammy stuff below:

cgminer -n:

Code:
 [2012-10-29 18:53:47] CL Platform 0 vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.                    
 [2012-10-29 18:53:47] CL Platform 0 name: AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing                   
 [2012-10-29 18:53:47] CL Platform 0 version: OpenCL 1.2 AMD-APP (1016.4)                   
 [2012-10-29 18:53:47] Platform 0 devices: 1                   
 [2012-10-29 18:53:47] 0 Cypress                   
 [2012-10-29 18:53:47] ADL found more devices than opencl!                   
 [2012-10-29 18:53:47] There is possibly at least one GPU that doesn't support OpenCL                   
 [2012-10-29 18:53:47] Use the gpu map feature to reliably map OpenCL to ADL                   
 [2012-10-29 18:53:47] WARNING: Number of OpenCL and ADL devices did not match!                   
 [2012-10-29 18:53:47] Hardware monitoring may NOT match up with devices!                   
 [2012-10-29 18:53:47] GPU 0 ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series hardware monitoring enabled                   
 [2012-10-29 18:53:47] 1 GPU devices max detected 

aticonfig --list-adapters:

Code:
* 0. 09:00.0 ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series
  1. 04:00.0 ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series

* - Default adapter

xorg.conf:

Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier     "aticonfig Layout"
Screen      0  "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
Screen         "aticonfig-Screen[1]-0" RightOf "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
EndSection

Section "Module"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier   "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
Option     "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
Option     "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
Option     "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier   "aticonfig-Monitor[1]-0"
Option     "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
Option     "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
Option     "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
Driver      "fglrx"
BusID       "PCI:9:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[1]-0"
Driver      "fglrx"
BusID       "PCI:4:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
Device     "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
Monitor    "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
DefaultDepth     24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport   0 0
Depth     24
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[1]-0"
Device     "aticonfig-Device[1]-0"
Monitor    "aticonfig-Monitor[1]-0"
DefaultDepth     24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport   0 0
Depth     24
EndSubSection
EndSection
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
Well darn .. You are quite right. 'cgminer -n' does show only 1. It says that ADL doesn't match OpenCL. I read about that with the gpu-map command but am still a bit confused.

I have the entries with their PCI IDs in the xorg.conf that match with the output of 'aticonfig --list-adapters'. I shouldn't need 'dummy plugs' to get the other adapter to work, should I?
Right, you shouldn't need dummy plugs unless you have a driver before about 11.6 or something. I still suspect your xorg config. is wrong, or you're not really exporting the display variable. Also it's worth noting people have had looots of trouble with recent drivers and last good was something like 12.8. Can you show us the actual output from cgminer -n ?
Activity: 163
Merit: 100
I'm using cgminer on Linux for the particular machine I'm discussing here. It had one 5870 card in it and I was getting ~430Mh/s out of it. Not too bad.

I happened to get my hands on another 5870 so I thought I'd pop that in too. I have both GPUs turning up in cgminer (after a little trouble, but 'aticonfig -f --adapter=all --initial' worked wonders.

I have cgminer 2.8.7 (same behavior with 2.8.5), AMD SDK 2.7 and Catalyst 12.10.

If I only enable one GPU, I get the hashrate as before. If I enable both GPUs, the first GPUs hashrate plummets. Net result is I'm still only getting the same hashrate but now it's 'using' both GPUs.

e.g.
GPU 0:  ~400Mh
GPU 1:  OFF

to

GPU 0:   ~100Mh
GPU 1:   ~300Mh
Actually sounds like it's still only mining on the one  GPU, just splitting it into two. What does 'cgminer -n' say?

Jump to: