Author

Topic: OFFICIAL CGMINER mining software thread for linux/win/osx/mips/arm/r-pi 4.11.0 - page 513. (Read 5805546 times)

Activity: 63
Merit: 0
My bonuspool account went apeshit exactly like that for a little while a few hours ago. I switched a couple parts around in my rigs so I wasn't sure if it was a hardware issue, but it seems to have gone away.

I don't think it's bonuspool. The common element was that we both had a pool go down. I use Eclipse and mtred, and when Eclipse went down this morning, I manually added mtred because it wasn't in the config at the time. Later on, I realized Eclipse had come up and was up for awhile, but the miner was doing -exactly- what Morblias was saying: except that I switched it myself, and it was failing to switch back. Actually, I didn't even switch it - I just added mtred manually while it was running, and it went over to mtred on it's own. Of course at first I expected the errors it was giving... because the pool was down. I even checked using ping.eu's port checker function and 8337 on eclipse was closed for all Eclipse servers. Later on when I knew the pool was up, the miner was doing exactly the same thing. Sitting on mtred, and saying Eclipse was down. I even checked again with ping.eu to make sure, and indeed Eclipse was up. So I just closed the miner, repoened it, and voila, connection to Eclipse.

I think this is pretty solid evidence Smiley
Activity: 472
Merit: 250
I can confirm this. At first I thought it was because I manually added a pool while cgminer was running and that messed it up, but now he's posting a similar issue. Did you add a pool like me or did it switch and fail to switch back on its own Morblias?

It switched and failed to switch back.
Was bonuspool the common element?

I will check with Clipse tomorrow to see if he was having any problems with the pool. I noticed it is having communication problems a lot with 2.7.1 and I am not convinced yet it is the pools, but who knows, maybe it is.

I will keep you posted what I find tomorrow. Thanks again for all your hard work ckolivas.

My bonuspool account went apeshit exactly like that for a little while a few hours ago. I switched a couple parts around in my rigs so I wasn't sure if it was a hardware issue, but it seems to have gone away.
Activity: 576
Merit: 500
I can confirm this. At first I thought it was because I manually added a pool while cgminer was running and that messed it up, but now he's posting a similar issue. Did you add a pool like me or did it switch and fail to switch back on its own Morblias?

I will check with Clipse tomorrow to see if he was having any problems with the pool. I noticed it is having communication problems a lot with 2.7.1 and I am not convinced yet it is the pools, but who knows, maybe it is.

I will keep you posted what I find tomorrow. Thanks again for all your hard work ckolivas.
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
I am most certainly not going to give one more second's thought to scrypt.

Don't mean to make you think of it, but, what the heck is "scrypt" anyway?
Sam
Litecoin mining, which I hope dies and goes away.
legendary
Activity: 3583
Merit: 1094
Think for yourself
I am most certainly not going to give one more second's thought to scrypt.

Don't mean to make you think of it, but, what the heck is "scrypt" anyway?
Sam
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
Hi,

Big problems with my miner. I have been mining 2-3 months, but I had to make fresh install of my backup computer. All steps and logs are here:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/cgminer-does-nothing-101758

Please, someone? RCP calls and job curls are missing... I have spotted the part in cgminer.c code, but so far I have not added own debugging messages while I hope someone knows what is wrong.

Absolutely no idea unless the 32 bit version of ubuntu you installed happened to have a broken curl library.
SAC
Activity: 322
just to see what kind of hashrate I would get with my 5830.

~256kh/s running at 870,1170, worksize 256, thread-concurrency 6720, vectors 4, gpu-threads 2, intensity 18 or should be if it is anything like the ones I have. Oh and it takes ~170w per card for LTC as opposed to 140w for BTC running at 1.1 volts core.
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
New version - 2.7.1, 21st August 2012
Something odd :
I have 6 mining rigs. 4 have multiple cards, 2 have a single card with a total of 21 cards. Until 2.7.1, I've had next to zero hardware errors reported by cgminer, only one card in the 21 had occasional (maybe 1/day) errors, it was a 5870 in a 5-card rig.
With 2.7.1, I've got hardware errors reported on all cards in the rigs with multiple cards (in fact 18 out of 19 cards have errors). The cards in a single-card rig don't have errors reported (even a 5970 with its 2 GPUs, so if it may be linked to the number of cards, it's not with the number of GPUs).

Could something have prevented errors to be reported with previous versions ?

Some additional, maybe related information :
I had hardware errors on a 7970 when I used 2 threads on it, switching everything to dynamic with a 250ms target made these errors disappear (with no noticeable difference in hashrate).

All the cards are overclocked/downvolted/... but are set in a configuration which is(/was ?) known to be stable (ie: each time a card is SICK/DEAD or crashes cgminer it is downclocked), it's only when a new card is added that a rig can be temporarily unstable the time I find its sweet spot.

Note that I detect card making cgminer crash by monitoring their temperature: on my configuration a card was most of the time not detected SICK (I suspect it as something to do with my using the API to monitor the rigs: it seemed to crash cgminer before the 60s SICK delay) but crashed cgminer, before each crash I could witness the temperature of the offending card dropped markedly.
Nothing I can think of that "prevented errors" directly apart from the fact that 2.7.0+ will work the GPUs harder than ever, with very little chance of rest between work unless you have a significant outage.
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
So I tried to use scrypt on cgminer 2.7.1 just to see what kind of hashrate I would get with my 5830.  This is the command I ran:
Needs sdk 2.6+
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
Hopefully the dynamic mode for GPUs is fixed on windows.
What about on Linux? I've been noticing the -10 bug pop up since I upgraded to 2.7 last night. I've had to start just manually switching my intensity from 4 to 6.
Hmm then that's almost certainly related to one long getwork skewing the results. In which case it is not fixed in either linux or windows on 2.7.1. Darn, well at least I know what to fix next.
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/

-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
Other vector sizes have been tried. They suck.
They've been tried with scrypt you say?  Because, with scrypt, a lot of the overhead is shifted to the loading and unloading of data.  And I recall having 8 vectors working for me better than 4 with the VLIW5 based GPU as long as the code could be written to support it.
Instead of just one uint8, we have two uint4 variables that have to load back and forth.  Now, it might just be me, but that seems rather inefficient doing that many reads and writes.
If someone would give it a try, I think we could determine it once and for all.
Blow yourself away, because I am most certainly not going to give one more second's thought to scrypt.

Activity: 63
When I went to 2.7.1, at some point one of my cgminers switched pools, and then would not switch back:

http://i.imgur.com/6PKRn.jpg

Bonuspool is definitely up and the cgminer on the right is connected to it, but on the left, it keeps saying it is online, won't switch to it, stays on pool 1, then says pool 0 is not responding (even though it isn't offline).

When I went to 2.7.1, at some point one of my cgminers switched pools, and then would not switch back:

Bonuspool is definitely up and the cgminer on the right is connected to it, but on the left, it keeps saying it is online, won't switch to it, stays on pool 1, then says pool 0 is not responding (even though it isn't offline).
Activity: 378
Other vector sizes have been tried. They suck.
They've been tried with scrypt you say?  Because, with scrypt, a lot of the overhead is shifted to the loading and unloading of data.  And I recall having 8 vectors working for me better than 4 with the VLIW5 based GPU as long as the code could be written to support it.
Instead of just one uint8, we have two uint4 variables that have to load back and forth.  Now, it might just be me, but that seems rather inefficient doing that many reads and writes.
If someone would give it a try, I think we could determine it once and for all.
Activity: 591
Hopefully the dynamic mode for GPUs is fixed on windows.
What about on Linux? I've been noticing the -10 bug pop up since I upgraded to 2.7 last night. I've had to start just manually switching my intensity from 4 to 6.
Activity: 807
So I tried to use scrypt on cgminer 2.7.1 just to see what kind of hashrate I would get with my 5830.  This is the command I ran:

GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT=100 GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS=1 DISPLAY=:0 cgminer --shaders 1120 --intensity 12 --scrypt  (tried with --benchmark and with a pool in case --benchmark wouldn't work).  Instead of getting an idea of my hashrate, I got a failure.  Perhaps my SDK is too old, but I'm not sure.  Anyone have any clue what this is about?:
Code:
 [2012-08-21 12:22:05] Started cgminer 2.7.1

/tmp/OCLKybKEH.cl(583): error: the opencl builtin function can only takes
          [unsigned] char/short/int/long[n] as first argument
                B[i+4] = EndianSwap(tmp[i]);
                         ^

/tmp/OCLKybKEH.cl(583): error: mixed vector-scalar operation not allowed
          unless up-convertable(scalar-type=>vector-element-type)
                B[i+4] = EndianSwap(tmp[i]);
                         ^

/tmp/OCLKybKEH.cl(590): warning: unrecognized #pragma
  #pragma unroll
          ^

/tmp/OCLKybKEH.cl(594): warning: unrecognized #pragma
  #pragma unroll
          ^

/tmp/OCLKybKEH.cl(607): warning: unrecognized #pragma
  #pragma unroll
          ^

/tmp/OCLKybKEH.cl(611): warning: unrecognized #pragma
  #pragma unroll
          ^

/tmp/OCLKybKEH.cl(624): warning: unrecognized #pragma
  #pragma unroll
          ^

/tmp/OCLKybKEH.cl(642): warning: unrecognized #pragma
  #pragma unroll
          ^

/tmp/OCLKybKEH.cl(663): warning: unrecognized #pragma
  #pragma unroll
          ^

/tmp/OCLKybKEH.cl(677): warning: unrecognized #pragma
  #pragma unroll
          ^

/tmp/OCLKybKEH.cl(636): warning: variable "ySIZE" was declared but never
          referenced
        const uint ySIZE = (1024/LOOKUP_GAP+(1024%LOOKUP_GAP>0));
                   ^

/tmp/OCLKybKEH.cl(707): warning: unrecognized #pragma
  #pragma unroll
          ^

12 errors detected in the compilation of "/tmp/OCLKybKEH.cl".

[2012-08-21 12:22:05] Failed to init GPU thread 0, disabling device 0
 [2012-08-21 12:22:05] Restarting the GPU from the menu will not fix this.
 [2012-08-21 12:22:05] Try restarting cgminer.
Activity: 21
Hi,

Big problems with my miner. I have been mining 2-3 months, but I had to make fresh install of my backup computer. All steps and logs are here:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/cgminer-does-nothing-101758

Please, someone? RCP calls and job curls are missing... I have spotted the part in cgminer.c code, but so far I have not added own debugging messages while I hope someone knows what is wrong.

legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
Also, 2.7.1 segfaulted on me. I couldn't find a core file, is there normally one produced?
On linux to produce a core file you usually have to type something like:
ulimit -c 2097152
before you start cgminer, to get a core file on a crash (that number I think means 2GB limit on the core size)
I always set a limit since once I got a strange crash that was about 60GB and I was running it on a network drive (at home) and my home network was rather slow for a few minutes, while it created the core file Smiley

Edit: then to get a possibly useful trace of the core file core.nnn to pastebin:
gdb cgminer core.nnn
bt
Jump to: