Author

Topic: OFFICIAL CGMINER mining software thread for linux/win/osx/mips/arm/r-pi 4.11.0 - page 583. (Read 5805546 times)

Activity: 63
Merit: 1
I guess you haven't deleted the .bin files between testing...

cgminer-2.3.6 and  cgminer-2.4.0 located in different folders. I copied config file from 2.3.6 to 2.4.0 and received result 418Mh/s
Did you delete the .bin files in the 2.3.6 directory after upgrading your driver+sdk?
No. Here are the contents of my folders:

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/1724/10019549.png
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/

cgminer-2.3.6 and  cgminer-2.4.0 located in different folders. I copied config file from 2.3.6 to 2.4.0 and received result 418Mh/s
Did you delete the .bin files in the 2.3.6 directory after upgrading your driver+sdk?

-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
cgminer-2.3.6 + OpenCl from AMD Catalyst 12.5 Beta = 462Mh/s
cgminer-2.4.0 + OpenCl from AMD Catalyst 12.5 Beta = 418Mh/s
Considering none of the opencl, GPU or kernel code was changed between 2.3.6 and 2.4.0, I find that a little more than a little unlikely.
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
Considering none of the opencl, GPU or kernel code was changed between 2.3.6 and 2.4.0, I find that a little more than a little unlikely.
I use cgminer-2.3.6 on my HD 5870 and received 460-462 Mh/s.
In the new version cgminer-2.4.0 was just 418 Mh/s.
Sys. Win7x64 + OpenCl from AMD Catalyst 12.5 Beta http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=Files&go=giveme&dwn_id=1624

Maybe, you should pay attention to the new drivers and optimize a new version of CGMINER
Wrong, you should downgrade your driver and read the FAQ.

If you mean that question,
Q: The CPU usage is high.
A: The ATI drivers after 11.6 have a bug that makes them consume 100% of one
CPU core unnecessarily so downgrade to 11.6. Binding cgminer to one CPU core on
windows can minimise it to 100% (instead of more than one core). Driver version
11.11 on linux and 11.12 on windows appear to have fixed this issue. Note that
later drivers may have an apparent return of high CPU usage. Try
'export GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS=1' on Linux before starting cgminer.
I know about it.

The problem is:
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
Sys. Win7x64 + OpenCl from AMD Catalyst 12.5 Beta http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=Files&go=giveme&dwn_id=1624

Maybe, you should pay attention to the new drivers and optimize a new version of CGMINER
WTF?
A download from a web site that includes an add to "Boost Your Internet Connection - Click Here"
Who would be fool enough to get stuff from there rather than ATI?

Edit: and the forum post says "leaked to the web" ...
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/

Wrong, you should downgrade your driver and read the FAQ.

-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
NEW VERSION: 2.4.0 - May 3, 2012

This version has a fairly significant upgrade to the way networking is done, so there is a minor version number update instead of a micro version, but it has already been heavily tested.

Human readable changelog:
A whole networking scheduler of sorts was written for this version, designed to scale to any sized workload with the fastest networking possible, while minimising the number of connections in use, reusing them as much as possible.
The restart feature was added to the API to restart cgminer remotely.
If you're connected to a pool that starts rejecting every single share, cgminer will now automatically disable it unless you add the --no-pool-disable option.
Once a pool stops responding, cgminer won't keep trying to open a flood of extra connections.
Failing BFL won't cause cgminer to stop; it'll just disable the device, which an attempt may be made to re-enable it.
Hashrates on FPGAs may be more accurate (though still not ideal).
Longpoll messages won't keep going indefinitely while a pool is down.

Full changelog:
- Only show longpoll warning once when it has failed.
- Convert hashes to an unsigned long long as well.
- Detect pools that have issues represented by endless rejected shares and
disable them, with a parameter to optionally disable this feature.
- Bugfix: Use a 64-bit type for hashes_done (miner_thread) since it can overflow
32-bit on some FPGAs
- Implement an older header fix for a label existing before the pthread_cleanup
macro.
- Limit the number of curls we recruit on communication failures and with
delaynet enabled to 5 by maintaining a per-pool curl count, and using a pthread
conditional that wakes up when one is returned to the ring buffer.
- Generalise add_pool() functions since they're repeated in add_pool_details.
- Bugfix: Return failure, rather than quit, if BFwrite fails
- Disable failing devices such that the user can attempt to re-enable them
- Bugfix: thread_shutdown shouldn't try to free the device, since it's needed
afterward
- API bool's and 1TBS fixes
- Icarus - minimise code delays and name timer variables
- api.c V1.9 add 'restart' + redesign 'quit' so thread exits cleanly
- api.c bug - remove extra ']'s in notify command
- Increase pool watch interval to 30 seconds.
- Reap curls that are unused for over a minute. This allows connections to be
closed, thereby allowing the number of curl handles to always be the minimum
necessary to not delay networking.
- Use the ringbuffer of curls from the same pool for submit as well as getwork
threads. Since the curl handles were already connected to the same pool and are
immediately available, share submission will not be delayed by getworks.
- Implement a scaleable networking framework designed to cope with any sized
network requirements, yet minimise the number of connections being reopened. Do
this by create a ring buffer linked list of curl handles to be used by getwork,
recruiting extra handles when none is immediately available.
- There is no need for the submit and getwork curls to be tied to the pool
struct.
- Do not recruit extra connection threads if there have been connection errors
to the pool in question.
- We should not retry submitting shares indefinitely or we may end up with a
huge backlog during network outages, so discard stale shares if we failed to
submit them and they've become stale in the interim.
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
As reported in another thread, the latest GIT updates improved cgminer performance with Clipse's bonuspool noticeably. With 2.3.6 my router had hundreds of active connections to the pools, now there are max. 20.

If you're mining with bonuspool, you should try and build cgminer from latest GIT sources.
Thanks for the feedback. This update has been significant enough to release a new version so I'm planning on releasing 2.4.0 soon.
donator
Activity: 919
Merit: 1000
As reported in another thread, the latest GIT updates improved cgminer performance with Clipse's bonuspool noticeably. With 2.3.6 my router had hundreds of active connections to the pools, now there are max. 20.

If you're mining with bonuspool, you should try and build cgminer from latest GIT sources.
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
Massive update to git tree:

I've basically implemented a kind of "network scheduler" into cgminer. It is designed to increase the number of connections to cope with virtually any sized hashing (see the 91 device example above with 33GH on one machine), yet minimise the amount of open connections used at any time, and reuse connections as much as possible.

This is the relevant part of the changelog (reverse order), though there are other commits to the master branch as well:
Limit the number of curls we recruit on communication failures and with delaynet enabled to 5 by maintaining a per-pool curl count, and using a pthread conditional that wakes up when one is returned to the ring buffer.
Reap curls that are unused for over a minute. This allows connections to be closed, thereby allowing the number of curl handles to always be the minimum necessary to not delay networking.
Use the ringbuffer of curls from the same pool for submit as well as getwork threads. Since the curl handles were already connected to the same pool and are immediately available, share submission will not be delayed by getworks.
Implement a scaleable networking framework designed to cope with any sized network requirements, yet minimise the number of connections being reopened. Do this by create a ring buffer linked list of curl handles to be used by getwork, recruiting extra handles when none is immediately available.
Activity: 26
Merit: 0
That's very interesting and likely an issue with the difference between headers and implementation of pthread_cleanup_pop in that distribution/gcc and all the more modern ones we're compiling on. The reason is that the pthread_cleanup_* functions are implemented as macros so you can't see just why this is an issue unless you spit out the pre-processor output. Either way it should be easy to implement something like that as a fix, thanks.

Ah ha! You know, that would completely explain it... I was racking my brain as to why it would throw THAT error.
Thank you so much, my brain can rest now.
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
okey, so here is my 2cents

There is something funky about this file. I'm on Centos 5.X and getting this error.

to fix, add a semicoln on the line after die:
it should look like this:
Code:
die:
;
     pthread_cleanup_pop(true);
and then all is well
It shouldn't be need, but it is... I have no idea why....
That's very interesting and likely an issue with the difference between headers and implementation of pthread_cleanup_pop in that distribution/gcc and all the more modern ones we're compiling on. The reason is that the pthread_cleanup_* functions are implemented as macros so you can't see just why this is an issue unless you spit out the pre-processor output. Either way it should be easy to implement something like that as a fix, thanks.
Activity: 26
Merit: 0
Error when CGMINER compiling. Versions 2.3.4-2.3.6. Versions 2.3.1-2.3.3 compiles fine.

Code:
  CC     usage.o
  AR     libccan.a
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/kanotix/cgminer-2.3.6/ccan'
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/kanotix/cgminer-2.3.6'
  CC     cgminer-cgminer.o
  CC     cgminer-util.o
  CC     cgminer-sha2.o
  CC     cgminer-api.o
api.c: In function ‘api’:
api.c:2409: error: label at end of compound statement
make[2]: *** [cgminer-api.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/kanotix/cgminer-2.3.6'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/kanotix/cgminer-2.3.6'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Tested with NVIDIA and ATi/AMD OpenCL's. OS: Linux x86. GCC: 4.3.
Well all I can guess is there must be something wrong with your compiler or something messed up about your git pull/clone or some issue with the ./configure options you used.

The "die:" label has been there since 2011-11-24 (go to https://github.com/ckolivas/cgminer/blame/master/api.c to check for yourself)
Also the code compiles fine on quite a few architectures including xubuntu, fedora 16, debian, MinGW on windows
I've even just done another git pull and compiled it.

What git pull/clone command did you use and what ./configure command did you use?

If you pulled on top of an old version, make sure you './autogen.sh' './configure --xxx' and 'make clean' again before compiling.

okey, so here is my 2cents

There is something funky about this file. I'm on Centos 5.X and getting this error.

to fix, add a semicoln on the line after die:
it should look like this:
Code:
die:
;
     pthread_cleanup_pop(true);
and then all is well
It shouldn't be need, but it is... I have no idea why....
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
One of the reasons I limited a previous version to only displaying 8 devices.  Sigh. The interface was never designed with so many devices in mind and with that many you should really be using a different front end via the API instead.
legendary
Activity: 922
Merit: 1003
@Epoch      :Tip is on the way
@af_newbie: Tip is on the way
Much appreciated. Glad you are up and running.
Activity: 446
Merit: 250
Is it possible, that I can tell windows in the "cgminer.bat", that the window must be more big (fullscreen) for start?
I think ye can do this with a PIF file.
I'm not near my Win7 machines now, but I *think* the way I have done this is to:

1. click Start->Run, type "cmd", hit
2. a command prompt window will appear in its default size.
3. click the icon in the top-left corner of its title bar to bring down the system menu
4. click 'Properties' to bring up a dialog box.
5. (optional): in the Font tab choose your preferred font and size.
6. (important): in the Layout tab set the Windows Size to Width:100, Height:40
7. click 'ok' to dismiss the dialog.
8. close the command prompt window

Now when you run any command prompt again, it will come up in this new size. Double-click your .bat file, and the command prompt window that opens should have the new dimensions.

I am quite certain I have set my window size to Width:100 and Height:40 (other similar values have worked as well). You may be right that cgminer will crash in its default size of 80:25 ... I've never tried that as 80:25 is too small for what I like to see. Let us know how you make out.

Hell ya, I am so grateful for that information.

Thank you. Worked perfectly.
Activity: 871
Merit: 1000
Is it possible, that I can tell windows in the "cgminer.bat", that the window must be more big (fullscreen) for start?
I think ye can do this with a PIF file.
I'm not near my Win7 machines now, but I *think* the way I have done this is to:

1. click Start->Run, type "cmd", hit
2. a command prompt window will appear in its default size.
3. click the icon in the top-left corner of its title bar to bring down the system menu
4. click 'Properties' to bring up a dialog box.
5. (optional): in the Font tab choose your preferred font and size.
6. (important): in the Layout tab set the Windows Size to Width:100, Height:40
7. click 'ok' to dismiss the dialog.
8. close the command prompt window

Now when you run any command prompt again, it will come up in this new size. Double-click your .bat file, and the command prompt window that opens should have the new dimensions.

I am quite certain I have set my window size to Width:100 and Height:40 (other similar values have worked as well). You may be right that cgminer will crash in its default size of 80:25 ... I've never tried that as 80:25 is too small for what I like to see. Let us know how you make out.
YES u great!
WORKING
Making window-size to 80:50!

Many thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Edit:
@Epoch      :Tip is on the way
@af_newbie: Tip is on the way
Jump to: