Author

Topic: OFFICIAL CGMINER mining software thread for linux/win/osx/mips/arm/r-pi 4.11.0 - page 643. (Read 5805546 times)

-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
ck, youre a machine Smiley

I miss the donation bit as it was a "set-and-forget" option but I understand the reasons for dropping it.

of course now i have to actually pay attention and donate manually again. *grumble*workworkwork* *sigh*

kidding about the grumbling of course.

sent 1.221122 BTC your way.
Much appreciated. I tend to work in huge bursts if it hasn't been obvious till now Wink
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
ckvolias

2.2.7 has some serious problems in windows if pool 0 is not live

takes a very long time just to start and then it starts to show gpus as sick when they are not
does not happen if the pool 0 is live

this may have been the case in 2.2.6 and not noticed it , have a feeling it has something to do with your new pool probing setup

+1 I had a similar issue:

Not sure if it occurred on other versions but I had a network cable become unplugged (I swear it wasn't me) it seemed to hang forever without reporting connectivity issues.

Ditto. I have experienced this as well. Most of us that have p2pool set as our primary pool will not actually have it up and running when we are troubleshooting issues with cgminer. This problem explains the lock ups I was experiencing now... I believe I'm using 2.2.6, though, so this must have been a recent-developed bug.
Unchanged for a while. Shouldn't lead to lock-ups though...
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
... Overclocked to 950 Mhz, memory underclocked to 300 Mhz, intensity at 9. Used to average 270 Mhash, and still do ...
Rassah, 270 MHash/s seems a tad low. May I ask what work size and vector width you are using? Are you running the default 2 threads per GPU?

Another fine-tuning suggestion: a 270 MHash/s card might be better off with intensity 8, the stale rate should drop a bit provided your pool server is fast enough.
Right now, I'm at 0,21% stales at Bitminter which is rather high - usually my stale rate is about 0,1%.

Just wiped the old cgminer directory, and installed 2.2.7 binaries. I'm on Windows, so I don't even know where the .bin would be. Still no change; mining at the same speed. My 5830's are actually getting exactly 266Mhash/s each (I have two of them).
The only cgminer parameters I'm using are:
-I 9 --auto-fan --auto-gpu --gpu-engine 750-950 --gpu-memclock 300
so I'm not specifying any work sizes or vectors (unless I 9 is work size). I'm mining to P2Pool, and my local stale rate is ~8.6%
The only way I know of making it hash faster is by increasing the Mhz to above 950, but at that point my system gets really unstable, and sometimes either locks up or bluescreens :/
Try copying this file:
http://ck.kolivas.org/apps/cgminer/bins/2.5/phatk120213Cypressbitalignv2w128long4.bin
into your cgminer directory, overwriting a file by the same name and start again.
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
I get the following error running on Win 7 - 64bit:

[2012-02-20 14:45:04] Error: clEnqueueReadBuffer failed. (clEnqueueReadBuffer)

Video card is Quadro FX 380 card, ForceWare 295.51 driver.
Is this a new problem?
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
... Overclocked to 950 Mhz, memory underclocked to 300 Mhz, intensity at 9. Used to average 270 Mhash, and still do ...
Rassah, 270 MHash/s seems a tad low. May I ask what work size and vector width you are using? Are you running the default 2 threads per GPU?

Another fine-tuning suggestion: a 270 MHash/s card might be better off with intensity 8, the stale rate should drop a bit provided your pool server is fast enough.
Right now, I'm at 0,21% stales at Bitminter which is rather high - usually my stale rate is about 0,1%.

Just wiped the old cgminer directory, and installed 2.2.7 binaries. I'm on Windows, so I don't even know where the .bin would be. Still no change; mining at the same speed. My 5830's are actually getting exactly 266Mhash/s each (I have two of them).
The only cgminer parameters I'm using are:
-I 9 --auto-fan --auto-gpu --gpu-engine 750-950 --gpu-memclock 300
so I'm not specifying any work sizes or vectors (unless I 9 is work size). I'm mining to P2Pool, and my local stale rate is ~8.6%
The only way I know of making it hash faster is by increasing the Mhz to above 950, but at that point my system gets really unstable, and sometimes either locks up or bluescreens :/
legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 3614
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
I get the following error running on Win 7 - 64bit:

-------------------------------------------------------------
[2012-02-20 14:44:59] Started cgminer 2.2.7
[..snip..]

Is it a bug or configuration error on my system?

Video card is Quadro FX 380 card, ForceWare 295.51 driver.
[/quote]

cant say what it is, but I can say what its not: its not that youre running 2.2.7 on win7 64 bit as thats what this rig with an amd 6870 has as its OS, and running 2.2.7 cgminer

maybe drop back a couple versions on your nvidia driver? did you ever have it running before?

not may windows or nvidia users here, so I figured I toss this out at ya. not much Im afraid Sad
donator
Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015
ckvolias

takes a very long time just to start and then it starts to show gpus as sick when they are not

this may have been the case in 2.2.6 and not noticed it , have a feeling it has something to do with your new pool probing setup

Not sure if it occurred on other versions but I had a network cable become unplugged (I swear it wasn't me) it seemed to hang forever without reporting connectivity issues.

Ditto. I have experienced this as well. Most of us that have p2pool set as our primary pool will not actually have it up and running when we are troubleshooting issues with cgminer. This problem explains the lock ups I was experiencing now... I believe I'm using 2.2.6, though, so this must have been a recent-developed bug.
legendary
Activity: 1795
Merit: 1208
This is not OK.
Naa, I got it... Looked at the code. API only checks the first character so doesn't like a space between ',' and the 'D'. This doesn't effect numbers.
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
legendary
Activity: 1795
Merit: 1208
This is not OK.
Kano: API issue...

Setting intensity to 'D' doesn't seem to work.
Can set other values fine 0, 1, 2 etc., but when D is sent it reverts to 0.
Activity: 28
Hi, I'm using the linux-usb-cgminer instructions and just tried 2.2.7 , seems to be working fine,  Should I know upgrade from 2.4 SDK?
legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 3614
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
ck, youre a machine Smiley

I miss the donation bit as it was a "set-and-forget" option but I understand the reasons for dropping it.

of course now i have to actually pay attention and donate manually again. *grumble*workworkwork* *sigh*

kidding about the grumbling of course.

sent 1.221122 BTC your way.
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
kano would it be possible to include a secret key for RPC in the config.

something like:
Code:
"api-key" : "this-is-my-secret-it-must-be-included-in-all-API-calls-when-active".

I always hate when people use user/password when there is only one possible username so I think key works fine.

I would like to publicly host my monitoring webpages along with database for historical performance, etc.  For privacy reasons I would prefer to put this on a webserver unrelated to my physical location/IP.  

Also ANUBIS and "cgminer web monitor" seem to be popular but can be tough for newbies to setup.  With breaking version changes staying up to date can add to workload.  The authors could provide public hosting (as a paid service) but some level of security would be a good idea before punching holes in firewalls. IP Address limiting works but is harder to manage.  

I don't image this being very difficult to implement:
a) api-key is off by default.
b) if api-key is set then any RPC call needs to include the key as a JSON parameter or the call fails.

Your thoughts?

I have already put up a pull request a while ago (4 hours) which is somewhat related to this Smiley

Basically it restricts all RPC API access to only be allowed to run commands that return data.
If you use the --api-allow command you can put W: in front of any IP/subnets that you want to have privileged access (Write access)

This means that you can put something like W:MYIP,0/0 on --api-allow and then you can let anyone read it (that you tell) but only MYIP is allowed to send commands like 'switchpool', 'gpuintensity', 'save', 'quit' (i.e. all the commands that change something)
Of course  you can have as many W:IP and W:IP/sub as you like  - then put 0/0 on the end.
The first match decides the access.

To have true password access, I would implement a secure protocol in the API.
Passing clear text passwords/keys is rather pointless.

Yes I have been thinking about this for a few weeks and decided to implement the simplest of the two options already today Smiley
We'll see if ckolivas thinks it's OK or not tomorrow when he wakes up.
Activity: 33
Could you guys help me with cron and cgminer? I need a sample script that can use to start cgminer from cron

I tried many different methods but could not make it; cgminer just did not run and did not create any log output

The same script was used to start phoenix without any problem! What a headache for me Sad

Why do you need a cron script to start cgminer? Just add it to your startup scripts. Which distribution are you using?

This machine I also need to use it for something else, not a dedicated miner.

I am using a minimal version of Ubuntu Natty; without xdm,gdm or gnome. I installed xfce4 and startx directly from rc.local

The script was running fine if I run it from terminal; but not from cron

What kind of env does cgminer need?

I set DISPLAY already (although not needed if I don't want monitoring functions); execute cgminer from full path. What else?

donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
kano would it be possible to include a secret key for RPC in the config.

something like:
Code:
"api-key" : "this-is-my-secret-it-must-be-included-in-all-API-calls-when-active".

I always hate when people use user/password when there is only one possible username so I think key works fine.

I would like to publicly host my monitoring webpages along with database for historical performance, etc.  For privacy reasons I would prefer to put this on a webserver unrelated to my physical location/IP.  

Also ANUBIS and "cgminer web monitor" seem to be popular but can be tough for newbies to setup.  With breaking version changes staying up to date can add to workload.  The authors could provide public hosting (as a paid service) but some level of security would be a good idea before punching holes in firewalls. IP Address limiting works but is harder to manage.  

I don't image this being very difficult to implement:
a) api-key is off by default.
b) if api-key is set then any RPC call needs to include the key as a JSON parameter or the call fails.

Your thoughts?
Activity: 349
Merit: 250
Could you guys help me with cron and cgminer? I need a sample script that can use to start cgminer from cron

I tried many different methods but could not make it; cgminer just did not run and did not create any log output

The same script was used to start phoenix without any problem! What a headache for me Sad

Why do you need a cron script to start cgminer? Just add it to your startup scripts. Which distribution are you using?
Activity: 33

legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003
Sorry if this has already been asked or shown but how do you install CGMINER on Ubuntu  Huh
donator
Gerald Davis
ckvolias

donator
Gerald Davis
What is the best/preferred way to do log rotation with cgminer? I'm finding the logs pretty big and would like to manage them automatically.

Since all other functionality of cgminer can be controlled via config file could conman consider adding some log configs.

Code:
"log" : "off(default)|static|dynamic"  dynamic appends timestamp to filename
"logname" : "./cgminer.log" (default) | C:\logs\blahblahblah | /etc/logs/cgminer/cg-log"  
"logrotate" : "100"  max size of file (bytes, MB, GB, lines, etc)

If there is enough interest from both developers and users maybe a bounty is in order?
Jump to: