Author

Topic: OFFICIAL CGMINER mining software thread for linux/win/osx/mips/arm/r-pi 4.11.0 - page 644. (Read 5805546 times)

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
Buy this account on March-2019. New Owner here!!
ckvolias

2.2.7 has some serious problems in windows if pool 0 is not live

takes a very long time just to start and then it starts to show gpus as sick when they are not
does not happen if the pool 0 is live

this may have been the case in 2.2.6 and not noticed it , have a feeling it has something to do with your new pool probing setup
Activity: 75
Merit: 10
Guys i have a problem with cgminer 2.2.6/2.2.7 and my 6950. I am running catalyst 11.6 and the amd sdk 2.4. But when i try to ./configure, cgminer returns "OpenCL not found". And the binary dont initialize.

Someone knows how do i fix this?
Activity: 769
Merit: 500
That overrides any user specified values. The defaults are fine for now. New SDKs and if any faster kernels come up, I will change them.

As I said it should not override user-defaults (and I did not include any check for this, as my code was just an example ^^), but offer one place for kernel-specific settings ... well if you don't like the idea okay.

Code:
switch (clState->chosen_kernel) {
case KL_POCLBM:
if (strstr(name, "Tahiti") && strstr(vbuff, "844.4")) {
if (!opt_vectors) clState->preferred_vwidth = 1;
if (!opt_worksize) clState->work_size = 64;
}
case KL_DIAKGCN:
if (strstr(name, "Tahiti")) {
if (!opt_vectors) clState->preferred_vwidth = 2;
if (!opt_worksize) clState->work_size = 256;
}
}

Dia
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
That overrides any user specified values. The defaults are fine for now. New SDKs and if any faster kernels come up, I will change them.
Activity: 769
Merit: 500
Con, may I suggest a change to CGMINER code, which I don't want to do by myself, as I don't know how you would prefer it to be implemented. It would be a good thing to have one place in ocl.c, where optimal defaults for kernels could be placed.

Something like this (only example values here), which is used, if the user does not specify any settings. It could also include some detections for SDK versions, as this has impact on optimal parameters, too. Should be a rather small change, but removes the need for special solutions, like the one where you forced -w 64 for poclbm on Tahiti (which seems to be the default for all kernels on Tahiti, which could be counterproductive).

Code:
switch (clState->chosen_kernel) {
case KL_POCLBM:
if (strstr(name, "Tahiti") && strstr(vbuff, "844.4")) {
clState->preferred_vwidth = 1;
clState->work_size = 64;
}
else if (strstr(name, "Tahiti") && strstr(vbuff, "851.4")) {
clState->preferred_vwidth = 1;
clState->work_size = 128;
}
case KL_DIAKGCN:
if (strstr(name, "Tahiti")) {
clState->preferred_vwidth = 2;
clState->work_size = 256;
}
else if (strstr(name, "Cypress")) {
clState->preferred_vwidth = 8;
clState->work_size = 256;
}
}

Dia
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
I hope I didn't miss anything, but isn't it impossible to see the worksize if you let cgminer choose it?
--verbose -D
Activity: 314
Merit: 251
I hope I didn't miss anything, but isn't it impossible to see the worksize if you let cgminer choose it?
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
If the RPC API is enabled ... you can exit a bit more cleanly than just killing cgminer:
Code:
echo -n quit | nc 127.0.0.1 4028
You would of course enable the API via the extra option "--api-listen"
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
What is the best/preferred way to do log rotation with cgminer? I'm finding the logs pretty big and would like to manage them automatically.
... Is there a way to force that thru a postrotate script?
Code:
/var/log/cgminer.log
{
        rotate 7
        daily
        missingok
        notifempty
        delaycompress
        compress
        postrotate
#add something here
        endscript
}

::EDIT:: use COPYTRUNCATE, as recommended by johnyj

Code:
/var/log/cgminer.log
{
        rotate 7
        daily
        missingok
        notifempty
        delaycompress
        compress
        copytruncate
}
Done! Thanks again johnyj.

Not without killing cgminer:
Code:
 /*sub-optimal solution removed*/

Another approach (more complex but avoiding the necessity of periodical cgminer restarts) is, instead of logging cgminer's output directly to the target file, run the logging through an intermediary that will follow the file name (eg. a program using fopen, fflush, and fclose for each write to the target logfile).
Piping standard output and errors with |& is your friend here, example: ls asdasdasdasd |& grep asd > ls.log

I have the same concern, maybe just make a new one (create) after archiving it
Cgminer keeps writing to the same FILE DESCRIPTOR completely ignoring the name change.
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012
Beyond Imagination
What is the best/preferred way to do log rotation with cgminer? I'm finding the logs pretty big and would like to manage them automatically.

I'm starting with "cgminer 2>>/var/log/cgminer.log"

I was just adding a logrotate config based off the rsyslog one and what I noticed is that cgminer doesn't open a new log file after the current one is archived. Is there a way to force that thru a postrotate script?

eg. /etc/logrotate.d/cgminer
Code:
/var/log/cgminer.log
{
        rotate 7
        daily
        missingok
        notifempty
        delaycompress
        compress
        postrotate
#add something here
        endscript
}

I have the same concern, maybe just make a new one (create) after archiving it
-ck
legendary
Ruu \o/
Con, I can confirm 2.2.6 Test works with 898.1 on Windows ... binaries are generated fine!
Did some tests with current diakgcn and it seems performance should not change with latest OpenCL runtime, but perhaps there are new ways to squeeze out a bit more performance Cheesy.

Edit: Which intensity do you use, when comparing kernel performance?
-I 11 seems the best for GCN on linux. Any more and the CPU usage starts to climb. On windows there's no way to set GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS=1 so I believe intensity 9 is the best.
legendary

I was just adding a logrotate config based off the rsyslog one and what I noticed is that cgminer doesn't open a new log file after the current one is archived. Is there a way to force that thru a postrotate script?
That's coz YOU never close it ...
redirection "2>>" will of course never close it's output file while the process is running.
You'd have to kill cgminer and start it again
Activity: 784
Merit: 1009
firstbits:1MinerQ

eg. /etc/logrotate.d/cgminer
Code:
/var/log/cgminer.log
{
        rotate 7
        daily
        missingok
        notifempty
        delaycompress
        compress
        postrotate
#add something here
        endscript
}
Activity: 193
Im using the --gpu-platform 1 switch to make cgminer use the stream 2.1 sdk but it keeps crashing, it tries to start threads on the 6530 integrated card.
Using a A6 apu with a 5850 and 5750.
legendary
Activity: 916
Merit: 1003
Performance is remaining stable & no obvious issues so far.

Subjectively, it seems to be doing better using p2pool mixed with others. I'll let it run for several more hours and assess again.

I've been running the new version for about 2 hours on p2pool.  Seems about the same performance-wise and running with no hiccups so far.
legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1005
Performance is remaining stable & no obvious issues so far.

Subjectively, it seems to be doing better using p2pool mixed with others. I'll let it run for several more hours and assess again.
legendary
New release: Version 2.2.7 - February 20, 2012

- Report threads as busy waiting on getwork on startup to avoid them being flagged sick on startup during slow networking.

You guys are my HEROS !
I have been battling this problem for a while now and I am SO happy to see it addressed in this latest release.
As always, you guys rock.

BTW: Where is the donation pool now ?
There is no donation pool.
That code was removed a few versions ago.

As per his sig: 148KkS2vgVi4VzUi4JcKzM2PMaMVPi3nnq

Edit: OK I'm slow Smiley
Activity: 373

Gone, the feature caused too many bugs and wasn't useful enough. You'll have to donate directly...
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
I heart thebaron
New release: Version 2.2.7 - February 20, 2012

- Report threads as busy waiting on getwork on startup to avoid them being flagged sick on startup during slow networking.

You guys are my HEROS !
I have been battling this problem for a while now and I am SO happy to see it addressed in this latest release.
As always, you guys rock.

rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
I don't know what to say. Con, you are a coding MACHINE! So many releases recently with all these many new features. +1 My favorite miner.
Jump to: