Pages:
Author

Topic: Official FutureBit Apollo BTC Software/Image and Support thread - page 28. (Read 39633 times)

Activity: 471
Merit: 252
If people are interested I can sent the 3D-file for the 90-120mm adapter.
Adapter file would be appreciated! As others suggested, you can upload on Thingiverse or Printables. If you get enough downloads on the latter page, you will get free filament, too. Wink

[img width=100 heigth=100]
Fyi, now with 1 merit you can become Jr. Member and post images. Just the typo is preventing your image to show up. Wink

I can see that ttyACM0 IS NOT there. All I get is this short message in dmesg after plugging it in:

Code:
[ 419.698180] usb 1-1-port4: connect-debounce failed

All command were entered as root. Any ideas?
Okay, that's odd. What do you get with this command? Does it show up?
Code:
ls /dev/tty*

Again, do verify that power connectors to the board (2x 6-pin) and USB are all good. There were users in the past with (semi-)broken-off microUSB connectors.
I believe there's no flimsier connector than microUSB; its surface-mounted nature means it is fairly easy to rip.
It seems the device isn't picked up at all besides from the odd usb output messages.

The tty device isn't there either. I created a few close-ups of the board and connectors. Something that seems to stand out vs the full node Apollo is the blinking VD5+ led here:

Everything else looks fine imho.

Some more pics here: https://imgur.com/a/ZUhZdGh

I'm slowly running out of ideas here ...
Activity: 882
Merit: 5818
not your keys, not your coins!
Adapter file would be appreciated! As others suggested, you can upload on Thingiverse or Printables. If you get enough downloads on the latter page, you will get free filament, too. Wink

[img width=100 heigth=100]
Fyi, now with 1 merit you can become Jr. Member and post images. Just the typo is preventing your image to show up. Wink

I can see that ttyACM0 IS NOT there. All I get is this short message in dmesg after plugging it in:

Code:
[  419.698180] usb 1-1-port4: connect-debounce failed

Okay, that's odd. What do you get with this command? Does it show up?
Code:
ls /dev/tty*

Again, do verify that power connectors to the board (2x 6-pin) and USB are all good. There were users in the past with (semi-)broken-off microUSB connectors.
I believe there's no flimsier connector than microUSB; its surface-mounted nature means it is fairly easy to rip.
Is it picked up by your PC or laptop? That would have been my first troubleshooting step. Grin
Figure out whether it's a problem with the hashboard / standard unit or the controller / full unit.
I would recommend the https://kano.is/ solo pool by kano. Not sure where solo mining sits on jstefanop's roadmap!
It's a brand new batch 1 device that I unboxed a few days ago. Setting up a dedicated rpi zero for testing will be the next step that weekend. That's way more effort to setup compared to the full node extension, that's why I didn't do it as first thing
Oh don't worry, you can also test the hashboard with any other PC! Doesn't have to be a Raspberry Pi and not even a Linux PC.
It can just be your daily driver, simply to quickly verify the hashboard is fine.

Download directly from jstefanop: https://github.com/jstefanop/Apollo-Miner-Binaries
Just attached the standard unit to a new rpi unti and got the latest apollo-miner binaries (32 bit in this example).

Code:
>>> Waiting for USB /dev/ttyACM0 [0] !!!
Stratum Pool started.
Initial difficulty: 1024
Connecting to us-east.stratum.slushpool.com:3333...
Connection successful
Server setup for us extranonce1: 03650503f8be74
Server setup for us size of extranonce2: 8
Pool changed difficulty to 8192
EVENT: 2022-10-10 15:03:08 ::: DIFF_CHANGE ::: Difficulty changed: 1024 => 8192
EVENT: 2022-10-10 15:03:08 ::: POOL_CLEAN_JOB ::: jobIdCounter = 100, JOB: jobName: 18a8f53a72, prevHash: bdd33d711aae5e3f5af0d28b1cc52c48443b100f0003dc4c0000000000000000, nTime: 0x6344261c, cleanJobs: 1
Queued job 101 [18a8f53a72], job count = 1
>>> Waiting for USB /dev/ttyACM0 [1] !!!
Authorization succeeded.
Pool in-service, we can send shares!
EVENT: 2022-10-10 15:03:08 ::: POOL_INFO ::: Pool in-service
>>> Waiting for USB /dev/ttyACM0 [2] !!!
>>> Waiting for USB /dev/ttyACM0 [3] !!!
>>> Waiting for USB /dev/ttyACM0 [4] !!!
>>> Waiting for USB /dev/ttyACM0 [5] !!!
>>> Waiting for USB /dev/ttyACM0 [6] !!!
>>> Waiting for USB /dev/ttyACM0 [7] !!!
>>> Waiting for USB /dev/ttyACM0 [8] !!!
>>> Waiting for USB /dev/ttyACM0 [9] !!!
>>> Waiting for USB /dev/ttyACM0 [10] !!!
>>> Waiting for USB /dev/ttyACM0 [11] !!!
>>> Waiting for USB /dev/ttyACM0 [12] !!!

Code:
[  419.698180] usb 1-1-port4: connect-debounce failed

Activity: 980
Merit: 957
~snip~
For the interested co-miners Smiley I've modified my 6 Apollo's with a 120mm Noctua fan and 3D-printed 90-120mm adapter.
I've also added a picture with the values for 1 month running(total ran 3 months with this setup up)
~snip~

These look good.

It would be great if you can upload the 3D files somewhere, like https://www.thingiverse.com for example. There are already some mounts for other miners there, so it would be awesome to have this one as well.
Activity: 7
Merit: 6
Good evening all,

1st of all I would like to thank the Futurebit-team for making it easy for nitwit's to start mining.

All running nicely and steady(I did had an issue with the 1st full node, but the new one just started downloading the chain)

For the interested co-miners Smiley I've modified my 6 Apollo's with a 120mm Noctua fan and 3D-printed 90-120mm adapter.
I've also added a picture with the values for 1 month running(total ran 3 months with this setup up)

Some might say I f-ed up the smooth design, but I care more for less noise (lower RPM's means less noise) as they are in my room. With this setup you can hardly hear them.

Units are currently on eco-mode for summer temperatures, but soon will increase again.

Hope this might help somebody if needed.

[img width=100 heigth=100]https://imgur.com/a/dxGwJex[/img]

Cheers
Activity: 5
Merit: 0
Hello

I'm fairly new to the futurebit miners but I do have a futurebit Apollo BTC full node.  I have tried to reformat and re sync the node ssd twice but it gets to a point where it says ther is a -2 space remaining on the drive and it never finishes the sync.  Any ideas on how to get it to complete?
I really appreciate the help
Thank You

I just updated mine from 500GB to 1TB. Very cheap and easy to do, Amazon link: https://a.co/d/6SScwAe
Activity: 924
Merit: 175
Hello

I'm fairly new to the futurebit miners but I do have a futurebit Apollo BTC full node.  I have tried to reformat and re sync the node ssd twice but it gets to a point where it says ther is a -2 space remaining on the drive and it never finishes the sync.  Any ideas on how to get it to complete?
Thank You

Does your Full Node have 512GB NVMe drive? Bought it last year?
If yes, then you have to remove NVMe drive because it is no longer big enough to store the blockchain. You must purchase 1TB NVMe drive. See posts on previous page discussing this.
Activity: 1
Hello

I'm fairly new to the futurebit miners but I do have a futurebit Apollo BTC full node.  I have tried to reformat and re sync the node ssd twice but it gets to a point where it says ther is a -2 space remaining on the drive and it never finishes the sync.  Any ideas on how to get it to complete?
Thank You
~
Is it picked up by your PC or laptop? That would have been my first troubleshooting step. Grin
Figure out whether it's a problem with the hashboard / standard unit or the controller / full unit.

Hello, now that’s it’s getting cooler outside I’m going to turn the apollos (BTC and LTC) back on. This time I’m thinking of solo mining. Is direct solo mining still planned for BTC? Anyone doing it - is CK pool the best?
Thank you!
I would recommend the https://kano.is/ solo pool by kano. Not sure where solo mining sits on jstefanop's roadmap!
It's a brand new batch 1 device that I unboxed a few days ago. Setting up a dedicated rpi zero for testing will be the next step that weekend. That's way more effort to setup compared to the full node extension, that's why I didn't do it as first thing
Oh don't worry, you can also test the hashboard with any other PC! Doesn't have to be a Raspberry Pi and not even a Linux PC.
It can just be your daily driver, simply to quickly verify the hashboard is fine.

Download directly from jstefanop: https://github.com/jstefanop/Apollo-Miner-Binaries
No worries and thank you for the reply!

I am a linux power user and know my way around the command line way better than any windows gui ;-)
~

Hello, now that’s it’s getting cooler outside I’m going to turn the apollos (BTC and LTC) back on. This time I’m thinking of solo mining. Is direct solo mining still planned for BTC? Anyone doing it - is CK pool the best?
Thank you!

Thank you for the replies. I’ll look into both pools. Happy mining!
~

Thank you!
It's a brand new batch 1 device that I unboxed a few days ago. Setting up a dedicated rpi zero for testing will be the next step that weekend. That's way more effort to setup compared to the full node extension, that's why I didn't do it as first thing 😉
Activity: 16
Thank you!

Kano Pool is where I would recommend for Solo or PPLNS, https://kano.is
very low fees, and fantastic mining info and help from Kano and the miners on the pool.

Make sure to join the Discord channel and get all the help and info.

Good Luck with the mining.
Activity: 1162
Merit: 943
Yep CK is the pool I use too
Activity: 924
Merit: 175
Thank you!

Yes, CKpool still the best.
No major features in sight for Apollo software, so you can settle with ck for the winter. That's where I am mining to as well.
~

Thank you!
Thank you!
I have a brand new batch 1 standard unit that isn't picked up by my full package unit at all. The red front led is blinking and turning solid red after a short while. The standard unit hash board isn't visible in the UI

What I tried already past weekend:
  • Flashed a new OS image to a new SD card
  • tested the sdcard with https://fight-flash-fraud.readthedocs.io/en/latest/usage.html
  • Swap USB cables and ports multiple times
  • Restart full unit and standard unit in different orders with wait times from minutes to hours in between
  • Swap & replace power supply. I tried both devices on one (750W) power supply and both on a separate, dedicated power supply

The output of armbianmonitor -u for my full package unit can be found at http://ix.io/4cfd

What else can I do to troubleshoot the function of the device on the hardware / software side?
Installing electrum and lightning on a different machine is as good as running all on the same? I realize its a little redundant but i have a couple mac minis with dual core processors that should be able to run this instead of taxing the full node.
I wouldn't put Electrum / Lightning on a different machine than the machine holding the Bitcoin Core install with the blockchain. The second machine's uptime would otherwise always depend on the primary machine (with Bitcoin Core) being online. Separating 'Mining' and 'Full Node' may make sense, though.

I guess what im asking is does more ram+processor help bitcoind, lightning or electrum more?
The Apollo SBC has enough power for everything, but if you have extra hardware lying around, putting the whole 'full node' stuff on there, may allow you to have slightly better uptime / reliability in terms of always having access to it, while the miner may have a downtime. By nature, an ASIC can have problems with power supply or cooling (e.g. in summer) from time to time.

I have considered just throwing away the sbc part of the full node i just came seem to find a reason for needing it that is obvious to me. it has opened a lot of doors for me tinkering with gpio and pci-e a lot more than i have in the past simply because i never had a reason to do so prior.
Well, without the SBC, the Apollo won't mine on its own. You will always need to keep another computer running to feed the ASIC hashboard inside the Apollo the blocks to mine. If you already got the full unit, why would you want to do this?

If you enjoy tinkering with GPIO (for other projects), maybe get a Raspberry Pi Zero or such; cheaper and better documented than the Orange Pi 4.
Activity: 49
Merit: 11
Thanks for the detailed reply.  I have the skills to understand and follow these instructions (linux, electrum, et al).  My only concern is specific to the Apollo.  When I got it I immediately updated it to the latest OS patch level - which of course bricked it and I had to re-image and start again.  Any chance of issues like that cropping up while using these instructions?  Re-imaging and starting from scratch is tedious!  Smiley
Nope, this only happens if you update the Linux operating system itself to a newer major revision. The instructions I provided only update and install packages; not touching the system.

Installing electrum and lightning on a different machine is as good as running all on the same? I realize its a little redundant but i have a couple mac minis with dual core processors that should be able to run this instead of taxing the full node.

I guess what im asking is does more ram+processor help bitcoind, lightning or electrum more? I have considered just throwing away the sbc part of the full node i just came seem to find a reason for needing it that is obvious to me. it has opened a lot of doors for me tinkering with gpio and pci-e a lot more than i have in the past simply because i never had a reason to do so prior.

I think the futurebit product is def something many many non technical people can utilize especially if its secure i do not have any background beyond common sense on security of linux and networking so that was one reason i ordered it. sorry jstefanop its not you its really me im dumb your product is great more so the software i think as i cant unlock all the secrets if there is any of the board itself.

standing on the shoulders of giants is great but becoming a mini giant is also rewarding at this point id settle for micro giant. of all the time and money i spent on trying to educate myself in this bitcoin world i think overall its worth it but the frustration really sucks.
Pages:
Jump to: