Pages:
Author

Topic: Official FutureBit Apollo BTC Software/Image and Support thread - page 29. (Read 39579 times)

Activity: 882
Merit: 5818
not your keys, not your coins!
Hello.  I'm interested in using my full node Apollo as the back end for my Trezor Suite instead of using their servers.  Does anyone have any experience doing this?  Are there any guides available?  Thanks!
Trezor Suite allows you to choose a custom Electrum server.

electrs
Since one of the main benefits of running a full node is privacy during transaction & address lookup, an Electrum server is needed. Otherwise you'd have to query using Bitcoin Core all the time and can't just use your mobile and desktop applications for that.

[1] Install dependencies; make sure you're logged into admin and not bitcoin.
Code:
sudo apt install clang cargo rustc tor
[...]
Activity: 1143
Merit: 925
Hello.  I'm interested in using my full node Apollo as the back end for my Trezor Suite instead of using their servers.  Does anyone have any experience doing this?  Are there any guides available?  Thanks!

I've seen one for Ledger but not for Trezor. I'd also be keen on this. I know Trezor Suite is adding in Bitcoin Core support for nodes some day but you can't just do it out the box for now with the Apollo as far as I know
Activity: 2
Merit: 0
Node has stopped running. Appears to be due to storage filling up since it's only a 500gb drive. If I'm not mistaken, the solution is to simply obtain a larger capacity sd card and insert into the bottom of the node unit, yes?

Simplest solution is to enable bitcoind pruning (which is limiting number of blocks to certain value, basically discarding old blocks, so hard drive don't overspill). But Futurebit has not got around to support their users properly - this is nowhere to be found in the settings. They knew the day is coming but did nothing, now all early batch users with 512GB drives running with crashed bitcoin nodes, not providing any benefit to Bitcoin blockchain p2p network, which was heavily advertised during sales.
You are left out, you either have to configure pruning yourself in bitcoind config files inside Apollo, or purchase 1TB NVMe drive, brand new for around 70 USD (in the UK where I live) last time I checked.

So I:

1. Swap the internal drive, which is more annoyance than I'd prefer to deal with..
2. Attempt to modify the software, which is more annoyance than I'd prefer to deal with..
or
3. Ignore the situation and lose out on the money and purpose for buying a node unit to begin with?

Yes, exactly, that's all options you have. As Sledge0001 mentioned, buying new 1TB NVMe drive may be easiest option, but it costs money. Second great alternative option would be Futurebit adding pruning, so you can lose out 20GB of old blocks and still serve 490GB of newer blocks. This interferes with planned in the future Lightning Node support, but LN support is nowhere at the moment.
But unfortunately, because Futurebit did nothing to prevent this, we now arrived at option no. 3, where ALL nodes from 512GB users just crashed and no one is serving any blocks to Bitcoin network, and no one (apart from few here in this thread) even knows why, because there was no announcement or warning to users, no newsletter, mailing, nothing. Every node just dead.

Edit: Before someone mentions this issue, to my knowledge pruned node are seeding blocks, and they are considered as "full nodes": https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/72617/how-can-a-pruned-node-be-classed-a-full-node-without-the-full-blockchain says:

Since, they don't keep older block data, only thing that they can't do is to return older block data to other nodes. They still keep latest block data for reogranization, which they can share with other nodes

Amused. Just got an email from FutureBit perfectly explaining how to upgrade the drive.

At your own cost, of course. No pruning in sight.
And I received no e-mail whatsoever, so I assume it was you who contacted them, and another thousand of users get nothing.

Everyone that ordered a Batch 1 or 2 should have received the email. I will not advocate or push an update for pruned nodes, a pruned node is the same as a dead node in my eyes.

As has been discussed extensively  since the beginning, we purposely chose a 500GB drive knowing people would have to swap the drive out in 1-2 years because we knew prices would be a fraction of what we would have had to charge for Batch 1-2 devices with a 1TB drive and that was the right choice then and is the right choice now. We would have had to charge an extra 150 at the time for the 1TB drive, 1TB drives are now 75 and will end up costing you less than 50 if you sell your 500GB drive. I think this is the better decision all around, and swapping out the drive and setting it up takes 5 minutes.

You made the right choice. I appreciated the cost saving for less than an hour of my time buying then swapping the drive and setting it up again
You would be shocked how often a bad cable is the culprit - but even the most sophisticated technical people overlook this basic obvious tech 101 - here is an edit from someone with a problem just a few days ago "***2nd EDIT: I decided to employ a VERY hi-tech solution (read: sarcasm)...I just plugged another USB cable in [...] Grin Cheesy Guess what? Worked" ... yet people self-admit sarcasm when they do it after wasting countless hours of their own time and other people's time - simply because they didn't troubleshoot the basics first ...

So what is troubleshooting tip #1? Check your cables - even if you think they are ok, swap them out with a cable you know is good ... if you are getting a "solid red light" - guess what, we expect you to do the basics and when you ask a question - provide useful information ...  or most of us will be too polite to tell you that your question lacked any useful information and was "NO HELP AT ALL" ... so who was no help at all?

What is troubleshooting tip #2? Provide detail about what you have tried, done, are observing at each step - someone else will catch the "been there done that" captain obvious thing that is usually occurring - but you will have asked a useful question with useful information rather than being the "no help at all" person ending up in the wrong forum ... and when you provide useful information, there are a lot of people who enjoy helping troubleshoot - and you will get useful helpful replies - rather than offers to purchase you rig ...

That was definitely me  Grin, palm to face for not using my continuity tester first thing -- tunnel vision is real, though, when one suspects it being a software issue. Miners (2x Standard and 1x Full) mining away solidly on Turbo Mode for over 36 straight hours now, no more faults after I fixed the wiring harness with its 1 faulty wire.

Ave power draw: 599w on Turbo
Ave w per Th/s: 66
15min hashrate: 9.05 Th/s

I've done worse - new work supplied super-thin laptop (with a sketchy IT dept) - I think I spent 2-4 hours (off/on) troubleshooting webcam drivers only to find there was a little manual switch closing a plastic cover over the webcam lens .... so we have all been there ... more often it is simply a cable not plugged in snugly that has pulled loose or picked up a piece of static-styrofoam-ball blocking a connection - or a crimped cable that may not even be visibly bad ...

But the sad reality is - I can't tell you how many times I have walked across campus, waited outside someone's office for half-an-hour, only to unplug a cable and securely plug it back in ... or swap out a cable from my bag and poof everything works ... that and software troubleshooting tip #1 asking someone to try a different web browser (works almost everytime) ...

Woo Hoo - I think I saw Batch 4 Apollo BTC shipping from inventory ...

DrG
legendary
Activity: 2061
Merit: 1388
Node has stopped running. Appears to be due to storage filling up since it's only a 500gb drive. If I'm not mistaken, the solution is to simply obtain a larger capacity sd card and insert into the bottom of the node unit, yes?

Simplest solution is to enable bitcoind pruning (which is limiting number of blocks to certain value, basically discarding old blocks, so hard drive don't overspill). But Futurebit has not got around to support their users properly - this is nowhere to be found in the settings. They knew the day is coming but did nothing, now all early batch users with 512GB drives running with crashed bitcoin nodes, not providing any benefit to Bitcoin blockchain p2p network, which was heavily advertised during sales.
You are left out, you either have to configure pruning yourself in bitcoind config files inside Apollo, or purchase 1TB NVMe drive, brand new for around 70 USD (in the UK where I live) last time I checked.

So I:

1. Swap the internal drive, which is more annoyance than I'd prefer to deal with..
2. Attempt to modify the software, which is more annoyance than I'd prefer to deal with..
or
3. Ignore the situation and lose out on the money and purpose for buying a node unit to begin with?

Yes, exactly, that's all options you have. As Sledge0001 mentioned, buying new 1TB NVMe drive may be easiest option, but it costs money. Second great alternative option would be Futurebit adding pruning, so you can lose out 20GB of old blocks and still serve 490GB of newer blocks. This interferes with planned in the future Lightning Node support, but LN support is nowhere at the moment.
But unfortunately, because Futurebit did nothing to prevent this, we now arrived at option no. 3, where ALL nodes from 512GB users just crashed and no one is serving any blocks to Bitcoin network, and no one (apart from few here in this thread) even knows why, because there was no announcement or warning to users, no newsletter, mailing, nothing. Every node just dead.

Edit: Before someone mentions this issue, to my knowledge pruned node are seeding blocks, and they are considered as "full nodes": https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/72617/how-can-a-pruned-node-be-classed-a-full-node-without-the-full-blockchain says:

Since, they don't keep older block data, only thing that they can't do is to return older block data to other nodes. They still keep latest block data for reogranization, which they can share with other nodes

Amused. Just got an email from FutureBit perfectly explaining how to upgrade the drive.

And I received no e-mail whatsoever, so I assume it was you who contacted them, and another thousand of users get nothing.

Everyone that ordered a Batch 1 or 2 should have received the email. I will not advocate or push an update for pruned nodes, a pruned node is the same as a dead node in my eyes.

As has been discussed extensively  since the beginning, we purposely chose a 500GB drive knowing people would have to swap the drive out in 1-2 years because we knew prices would be a fraction of what we would have had to charge for Batch 1-2 devices with a 1TB drive and that was the right choice then and is the right choice now. We would have had to charge an extra 150 at the time for the 1TB drive, 1TB drives are now 75 and will end up costing you less than 50 if you sell your 500GB drive. I think this is the better decision all around, and swapping out the drive and setting it up takes 5 minutes.
Activity: 924
Merit: 175
I was in batch #1 and #2, received nothing as of yet. But anyway, in my humble opinion, emergency update which enable pruning should have been done months ago. Now, only several people are aware from e-mails that SSD must be upgraded, and with time I hope more users will do the upgrade at their own expense.
Not ideal scenario, but better than nothing.
I also got the same email. I've already upgraded the SSD, it's not hard at all and relatively inexpensive provided you watch for some good deals that pop up from time to time

So I:

or

Activity: 4

So I:

or

I did apt update and apt upgrade today and the miner stopped working. It's probably been a couple weeks since I last upgraded. I re-flashed the SD card so that it was working again, but then as soon as I upgraded again the miner wouldn't work. It seems like it won't start even though eventually the status page just shows that it's inactive. Just passing this along so this can be tested an possibly fixed. I'm going to re-flash the SD card again to fix it but I guess I won't upgrade anything for now.

So I:

or

Activity: 562
Merit: 139
or

Swapping the drive to a new one is the easiest thing to do.

Shut the device down, flip it over and you will see the drive is accessible from the bottom, it has 1 physical Phillips head screw holding it in place. Just slide it out and inset the new one!

you will then have to resync with the blockchain then however which takes a few days but that's it.

So I:

or
Activity: 882
Merit: 5818
not your keys, not your coins!
I see that Bitcoin Core 23.0 is available on the link at the top of the forum.  There are several versions of Linux for download.  Which one do we use for the FutureBit?

1. Linux (tgz)
2. ARM Linux (64 bit - 32 bit)
3. RISC-V Linux (64 bit)
4. PPC64 Linux (64 bit - 64 bit LE)

To install do I then just copy all the files to the appropriate directories on the FutureBit and restart?
The Futurebit Apollo BTC has an OrangePi 4, which is a 64-bit ARM CPU. So this would be option 2.
However, I don't think on Futurebit OS it is installed in the default location.

You can check with locate bitcoin-cli and locate bitcoind, as well as checking the version before and after upgrading with bitcoind --version.

I see that Bitcoin Core 23.0 is available on the link at the top of the forum.  There are several versions of Linux for download.  Which one do we use for the FutureBit?

1. Linux (tgz)
2. ARM Linux (64 bit - 32 bit)
3. RISC-V Linux (64 bit)
4. PPC64 Linux (64 bit - 64 bit LE)

To install do I then just copy all the files to the appropriate directories on the FutureBit and restart?

Not SD card, you need a new M.2 NVMe SSD drive. 1TB will suffice
Activity: 46
Merit: 4
You would be shocked how often a bad cable is the culprit - but even the most sophisticated technical people overlook this basic obvious tech 101 - here is an edit from someone with a problem just a few days ago "***2nd EDIT: I decided to employ a VERY hi-tech solution (read: sarcasm)...I just plugged another USB cable in [...] Grin Cheesy Guess what? Worked" ... yet people self-admit sarcasm when they do it after wasting countless hours of their own time and other people's time - simply because they didn't troubleshoot the basics first ...

So what is troubleshooting tip #1? Check your cables - even if you think they are ok, swap them out with a cable you know is good ... if you are getting a "solid red light" - guess what, we expect you to do the basics and when you ask a question - provide useful information ...  or most of us will be too polite to tell you that your question lacked any useful information and was "NO HELP AT ALL" ... so who was no help at all?

What is troubleshooting tip #2? Provide detail about what you have tried, done, are observing at each step - someone else will catch the "been there done that" captain obvious thing that is usually occurring - but you will have asked a useful question with useful information rather than being the "no help at all" person ending up in the wrong forum ... and when you provide useful information, there are a lot of people who enjoy helping troubleshoot - and you will get useful helpful replies - rather than offers to purchase you rig ...

That was definitely me  Grin, palm to face for not using my continuity tester first thing -- tunnel vision is real, though, when one suspects it being a software issue. Miners (2x Standard and 1x Full) mining away solidly on Turbo Mode for over 36 straight hours now, no more faults after I fixed the wiring harness with its 1 faulty wire.

Ave power draw: 599w on Turbo
Ave w per Th/s: 66
15min hashrate: 9.05 Th/s
Pages:
Jump to: