Pages:
Author

Topic: Official FutureBit Apollo BTC Software/Image and Support thread - page 30. (Read 39595 times)

Activity: 46
Merit: 4
You would be shocked how often a bad cable is the culprit - but even the most sophisticated technical people overlook this basic obvious tech 101 - here is an edit from someone with a problem just a few days ago "***2nd EDIT: I decided to employ a VERY hi-tech solution (read: sarcasm)...I just plugged another USB cable in [...] Grin Cheesy Guess what? Worked" ... yet people self-admit sarcasm when they do it after wasting countless hours of their own time and other people's time - simply because they didn't troubleshoot the basics first ...

So what is troubleshooting tip #1? Check your cables - even if you think they are ok, swap them out with a cable you know is good ... if you are getting a "solid red light" - guess what, we expect you to do the basics and when you ask a question - provide useful information ...  or most of us will be too polite to tell you that your question lacked any useful information and was "NO HELP AT ALL" ... so who was no help at all?

What is troubleshooting tip #2? Provide detail about what you have tried, done, are observing at each step - someone else will catch the "been there done that" captain obvious thing that is usually occurring - but you will have asked a useful question with useful information rather than being the "no help at all" person ending up in the wrong forum ... and when you provide useful information, there are a lot of people who enjoy helping troubleshoot - and you will get useful helpful replies - rather than offers to purchase you rig ...

That was definitely me  Grin, palm to face for not using my continuity tester first thing -- tunnel vision is real, though, when one suspects it being a software issue. Miners (2x Standard and 1x Full) mining away solidly on Turbo Mode for over 36 straight hours now, no more faults after I fixed the wiring harness with its 1 faulty wire.

Ave power draw: 599w on Turbo
Ave w per Th/s: 66
15min hashrate: 9.05 Th/s
Activity: 2
Merit: 0
That support is dead….No help at alll
I suspect when someone laughed and said "sell it to me" they were implicitly suggesting that the answers already existed in the support thread (so they would love a working machine) ... there are a lot of social communities that can be pretty tough and sometimes require a little bit of a thick skin - so there is often an expectation that questions that have already been asked an answered (often a dozen times or more) can be read ...

And as someone suggested in this Apollo BTC thread - this is the BTC support thread where you probably are not going to get help about an LTC miner ...

So while 71 pages of LTC help in the LTC Support Thread may sound like a lot to read - there is a wealth of knowledge and education in there ... and a lot of very basic troubleshooting tips ...

Then when you ask a question you can outline the troubleshooting steps you have already taken (and the results you experienced with each troubleshooting step you took) ... then community members don't ask the basic questions like "is your Ethernet cable plugged in" (ok, no one is probably going to take time to ask if you haven't taken the time to troubleshoot and provide the community the information they can use to help you) ...

You would be shocked how often a bad cable is the culprit - but even the most sophisticated technical people overlook this basic obvious tech 101 - here is an edit from someone with a problem just a few days ago "***2nd EDIT: I decided to employ a VERY hi-tech solution (read: sarcasm)...I just plugged another USB cable in [...] Grin Cheesy Guess what? Worked" ... yet people self-admit sarcasm when they do it after wasting countless hours of their own time and other people's time - simply because they didn't troubleshoot the basics first ...

So what is troubleshooting tip #1? Check your cables - even if you think they are ok, swap them out with a cable you know is good ... if you are getting a "solid red light" - guess what, we expect you to do the basics and when you ask a question - provide useful information ...  or most of us will be too polite to tell you that your question lacked any useful information and was "NO HELP AT ALL" ... so who was no help at all?

What is troubleshooting tip #2? Provide detail about what you have tried, done, are observing at each step - someone else will catch the "been there done that" captain obvious thing that is usually occurring - but you will have asked a useful question with useful information rather than being the "no help at all" person ending up in the wrong forum ... and when you provide useful information, there are a lot of people who enjoy helping troubleshoot - and you will get useful helpful replies - rather than offers to purchase you rig ...

Of course - most people get their answers and "go away" and never come back to say thank you to the community that solved their problem - a diehard members who have a thick enough skin stick around for the long haul and provide thankless help - and they are the ones along with Jstefanop that really deserve thanks for serving and supporting a small hobby blockchain/node/miner community that is able to support the various backbone networks ... and not just coin bags.

So thank you again - to all of the great members of the Apollo community and Jstefanop - for supporting nodes and the network! Keep up the great work! Keep being awesome! And know that a lot of us really appreciate this great community (I even appreciate the long-time trolls and haters knowing they can't bring good people down) ...

Dr. G
Activity: 952
Merit: 938
Nice little machine.
I'm running my Apollo with an old Linux desktop on Turbo mode and get about 3 TH.
Although not recommended, anyone tried to run it faster?

Yeah, I've run it faster than Turbo using a power supply with more watts than the "official" one.

It's a bit of diminishing returns really, I got around 4TH for a bit but the fans were just incredibly loud and the heat was a lot more than normal. At that point might as well use an industrial miner for much better results.

I'm now actually running it extremely quiet (internal fan not moving plus a silent noctua fan on top) and it's mining at 1-1.5 TH. It can actually go to 2-2.5 TH with minimum noise but I prefer it basically noiseless.
Activity: 17
Nice little machine.
I'm running my Apollo with an old Linux desktop on Turbo mode and get about 3 TH.
Although not recommended, anyone tried to run it faster?
I've scoured this thread but I'm sure I missed the answer to my problem, so sorry in advance!

I received my FULL and my STANDARD yesterday, and when hooked up to power, only the STANDARD mines. The FULL module is correctly syncing to the chain (it's at 69% after 12 hours) but does not mine.

I've re-seated the SD card, tried a different PSU, and have restarted and rebooted and re-everything'd a bunch of times. I've tried different pools, too.

Ideas for next steps?

I suggest to first concentrate on full unit. Do not connect anything to it, just make sure it works all right. Reinstall SD card if need be, check all connections etc, full miner must work. Only when you achieve it, try and experiment with connecting secondary standard unit to it via USB cable.

Well, after 6 hours of mining as a working Full model, it is back to not mining again XD

Now I think I have two choices...run the SBC separately with power and hook up miners via USB, or scrap the Node and just run the Standard units off a RasPi. What do you think?

FutureBit won't take it back as I've messed with it too much in trying to troubleshoot. I have no problem running it as a controller+3 standards. Just curious what everyone thinks is a good next-step.

**1st EDIT: it was more than just re-flashing as there was a crimped/pinched wire on the wiring harness when I opened it up. That part I had to replace. I'm on the 3rd SD card, still not mining as a Full unit.

***2nd EDIT: I decided to employ a VERY hi-tech solution (read: sarcasm)...I just plugged another USB cable into the SBC and ran it into the micro-USB jack of the miner it's sitting in  Grin Cheesy Guess what? Worked...so it seems the issue lies again in the wiring harness? Anyone else have thoughts? My voltmeter/continuity checker is at my office which I won't get to until probably Tuesday, but that's what I'm thinking. If USB works externally but not internally...
Activity: 43
That support is dead….No help at alll
Activity: 952
Merit: 938
~snip~
Any help is appreciated to help me diagnose my LTC minner, do u have an exchange program
This thread is for the BTC miner.

You can get support for the LTC miner here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/official-futurebit-apollo-ltc-image-and-support-thread-5081750
Activity: 43
Can the CPU fan run from any of the 5v/GND GPIO pins? Or does it have to be run through the proprietary connector you guys have made?

CPU Fan Connector is attached to the 3.3v power, if you connect it to the 5v pins it will spin nearly twice as fast and be super loud.

Any help is appreciated to help me diagnose my LTC minner, do u have an exchange program
Activity: 562
Merit: 139
Hi.. I just receive my Apollo BTC miner + 2 Standard Unit
after setup I only get 4TH not 6TH
All 3 units are ACTIVE but 1 Standard unit is 0 Hash!
I can see the Temp dan Fan speed

according to Known Issue. Please leave it run 10-15min
After 1 hour still 0 Hash

I assume USB cable is not connected properly or damage

So I did this:
1. Shutdown Miner
2. Unplug both usb Cable
3. Swap usb Cable

Turn it back on
same problem!!!

Need Help

Make sure you start up all of your standard units before starting the full.

I also found that using a small non-powered USB hub really added to the stability when I am running 5 additional standards off of a single full.
Activity: 1
Hi.. I just receive my Apollo BTC miner + 2 Standard Unit
after setup I only get 4TH not 6TH
All 3 units are ACTIVE but 1 Standard unit is 0 Hash!
I can see the Temp dan Fan speed

according to Known Issue. Please leave it run 10-15min
After 1 hour still 0 Hash

I assume USB cable is not connected properly or damage

So I did this:
1. Shutdown Miner
2. Unplug both usb Cable
3. Swap usb Cable

Turn it back on
same problem!!!

Need Help

Activity: 562
Merit: 139
I've scoured this thread but I'm sure I missed the answer to my problem, so sorry in advance!

I received my FULL and my STANDARD yesterday, and when hooked up to power, only the STANDARD mines. The FULL module is correctly syncing to the chain (it's at 69% after 12 hours) but does not mine.

I've re-seated the SD card, tried a different PSU, and have restarted and rebooted and re-everything'd a bunch of times. I've tried different pools, too.

Ideas for next steps?

Wait until the blockchain has fully synced up on the full device before trying to mine would be my recommendation.

I believe there was a recommendation to NOT try to run the miner at Turbo mode until everything on the node side had synced up.
Activity: 924
Merit: 175

Ideas for next steps?

I suggest to first concentrate on full unit. Do not connect anything to it, just make sure it works all right. Reinstall SD card if need be, check all connections etc, full miner must work. Only when you achieve it, try and experiment with connecting secondary standard unit to it via USB cable.

Ideas for next steps?
Activity: 8
Good Morning!

I have 2 Full nodes at the house but I only can only port forward one of them while the other will not.  I noticed the HOST ID for both Full Nodes is exactly the same "futurebitbtc."  I was wondering if I could change the host name of these units so I can attach the correct port forward information.

Side note:  Is there any other Port other than 8333 that I can port too for more connections? Stuck at 10 connections which I know is the normal for not forwarding. 
Quick question:

How can I keep screen enabled and emulate a monitor connected, when there isn't one connected via HDMI?
Right now I resort to HDMI dummy plug so Orange Pi 4 thinks there is a monitor connected. Autologin is enabled in Ubuntu user settings and Gnome session starts nicely. But without monitor/dummy plug connected, nothing starts and x11vnc won't let me login remotely.

I am using original Futurebit image with Armbian system.

jstefanop, any update on this please? Should I write to futurebit e-mail?

This is a limitation of the hardware/graphics driver. The HDMI port /GUI won't activate unless there is a monitor powered on and connected to the HDMI port (or a dummy plug like your using).

Thanks for letting me know 👍
legendary
Activity: 2061
Merit: 1388
Quick question:

How can I keep screen enabled and emulate a monitor connected, when there isn't one connected via HDMI?
Right now I resort to HDMI dummy plug so Orange Pi 4 thinks there is a monitor connected. Autologin is enabled in Ubuntu user settings and Gnome session starts nicely. But without monitor/dummy plug connected, nothing starts and x11vnc won't let me login remotely.

This is a limitation of the hardware/graphics driver. The HDMI port /GUI won't activate unless there is a monitor powered on and connected to the HDMI port (or a dummy plug like your using).
Activity: 2
I have searched but can't find how to interact on the command line or in GUI with the bitcoin node.  I have tried bitcoin-cli with no luck.  I'd like an easy way to find my TOR address, etc. to interact with my other nodes.  Anyone else want the functionality?  Any suggestions on how to use the node more than just with Sparrow? Thanks!

Anyone have any suggestions about this?  Would really appreciate it.  Thanks.
Quick question:

The Futurebit box was working heavily (red light blinking) and remaining hot with fan full speed for more than just a couple of minutes after it lost connection.

Your second statement does not pertain to me. My issue is that the unit loses both internet and intranet connection so I'm unable to remotely access it and shut it down properly.  

My USB-connected Apollo stops drawing power couple of minutes after miner process is killed, I trained some scripts which monitor UPS backup power to work with this. I don't know how it is with full brick Apollo with original Orange Pi 4.

So your unit experiences full hang, not responding to LAN or WAN? Try to connect monitor and peripherals to it, see if unit is still alive and responding to mouse, keyboard etc, when it loses connection. So you know if this is network card problem or entire Orange Pi is dead.
Activity: 11
Merit: 1
What is it processing if it has no internet connection to the pool to feed it new blocks? What is it working on when it loses connection to the internet?

Apollo board is still mining for a couple of minutes when mining process is stopped, without submitting any shares. It's not instantaneous to stop the board.

Mining process not starting, or unable to mine again after Internet going down is another issue.

The Futurebit box was working heavily (red light blinking) and remaining hot with fan full speed for more than just a couple of minutes after it lost connection.

Your second statement does not pertain to me. My issue is that the unit loses both internet and intranet connection so I'm unable to remotely access it and shut it down properly. 
Pages:
Jump to: