Pages:
Author

Topic: Official Gox / CoinLab Integration and Transition FAQ - page 2. (Read 20799 times)

legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
[...]

I honestly can't believe what I'm seeing and reading. I'm lost for words.

Madness!

Would you care to elaborate - was it one of your famous humorous pennings ?  Wink

The very last line of your post I quoted, coupled with the recent $75M lawsuit.
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
[...]

Madness!

Would you care to elaborate - was it one of your famous humorous pennings ?  Wink
Activity: 868
Seriously last update March 21st? I just don't understand why folks running these businesses can't do basic PR.

It doesn't have to be anything fancy, just a really a small note saying "we're working on it".... would make all the difference.

Or perhaps if I was a member of the Bitcoin Foundation I would be in the know.

I doubt that "we're about to sue MtGox" is something they wanted to advertise.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
Here's a video of what I think is Peter Wessenes. I also think he has a father with the same name, but a different middle initial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7S9aK22ld0

To me, he seems a bit high strung as a person, and from what I could find from google, he's helped starting a dozen different businesses?

Look how he's constantly moving around in that video, like he can't sit still. Will he have a long term involvement with CoinLab and bitcoin in general, or will he jump to a new exciting project in a couple of years ?

According to Bitcoin 2013: Brown University with an Sc.B. in Theoretical Mathematics, and an emphasis in cryptography.

That in itself sounds impressive.

And also, why's Tihan Seale invested in CoinLab, didn't he lose enough in the Bitcoinica scandal ? And what about Nefario, why did Peter Wessenes and Mike Koss want to work with him ?

http://www.geekwire.com/2011/coinlab-center-bitcoin-projects-created-seattle/

Are these guys to be trusted, or are we looking into a new clusterfuck to happen ?

Madness!
Activity: 476
Merit: 250

I'm a lifetime member. They don't tell us squat.
Activity: 255
Merit: 250
Seriously last update March 21st? I just don't understand why folks running these businesses can't do basic PR.

It doesn't have to be anything fancy, just a really a small note saying "we're working on it".... would make all the difference.

legendary
Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311
Coinlab is still working on it???

I guess.  I haven't seen any announcements in a while.  Though, I did notice that their about page not lists Jodie Brady as their CFO, which, unless I missed it, is something new.
Activity: 602
Merit: 500
Vertrau in Gott
Coinlab is still working on it???
Activity: 588
It's not realistic to expect US customers to be sending wires to Japan indefinitely, or dealing with Japases hours and holidays, etc...the whole thing looks byzantine and unserious.

i have to say that i think there are alot of US investors who would like to keep it this way.

Smiley Ha ha, yes, I understand that sentiment, several times the past couple of years I have also felt grateful and lucky that Bitcoin was off the radar and buying was just too hard for the average person.

But alas, the cat's fully out of the bag with last month's giant wave of press coverage, we are now on an unstoppable express train to either heaven or hell, and personally I'd like to get there as fast as possible.
Activity: 817
Truth is a consensus among neurons www.synereo.com
Does anyone how many users MtGox actually has currently? I'm wondering about the size of the entire Bitcoin market.
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
It's not realistic to expect US customers to be sending wires to Japan indefinitely, or dealing with Japases hours and holidays, etc...the whole thing looks byzantine and unserious.

i have to say that i think there are alot of US investors who would like to keep it this way (as in out of the US).
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009
Doc, our standards in this community are sadly very low at the moment.  Not being hacked in 2 years should not be a badge of honor, a measure of competence, or an unusual achievement.  It should be the minimum expectation for any business holding Bitcoins.
You see Bitcoin years are similar to dog years. 2 calendar years is about 150 years ago in Bitcoin terms. Ancient times.
Perhaps Coinlab figured out that teaming up with the single business which has directly excacerbated the two biggest crashes in Bitcoin's history is not a great idea.  If your business associates are incompetent, you will also be perceived as incompetent.

If I was them, I would lay low and not bring this up again, until there was hard evidence that MtGox had deployed an actual working scalable platform that wasn't going to publicly embarrass all participants in front of the watchful eyes of VCs and other big money.

it could just as easily be the other way around.  just what expertise has CoinLab proven to have?

I agree that Coinlab has no good expertise or reputation to speak of.  But Silicon Valley Bank is a major partner, and they definitely do have a reputation to protect.  And ultimately, I'd guess that the people in Coinlab prefer having no reputation whatsoever, to having a bad reputation by association.

My feeling (and others, see below) is that Gox really needs this deal, else they must open a US subsidiary this year or risk being upended by some new entrant.  It's not realistic to expect US customers to be sending wires to Japan indefinitely, or dealing with Japases hours and holidays, etc...the whole thing looks byzantine and unserious.

yeah, i'm disappointed in gox's trading platform as well.  but at least he hasn't allowed it to be hacked in almost 2 yrs.

Doc, our standards in this community are sadly very low at the moment.  Not being hacked in 2 years should not be a badge of honor, a measure of competence, or an unusual achievement.  It should be the minimum expectation for any business holding Bitcoins.

and i'm not sure confining/caging US investors to CoinLab is such a good idea.

Agree, hopefully at least one or two additional US exchanges get launched this year.

legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
Perhaps Coinlab figured out that teaming up with the single business which has directly excacerbated the two biggest crashes in Bitcoin's history is not a great idea.  If your business associates are incompetent, you will also be perceived as incompetent.

If I was them, I would lay low and not bring this up again, until there was hard evidence that MtGox had deployed an actual working scalable platform that wasn't going to publicly embarrass all participants in front of the watchful eyes of VCs and other big money.

it could just as easily be the other way around.  just what expertise has CoinLab proven to have?

yeah, i'm disappointed in gox's trading platform as well.  but at least he hasn't allowed it to be hacked in almost 2 yrs.

and i'm not sure confining/caging US investors to CoinLab is such a good idea.

Activity: 630
seems to be just tumbleweeds and crickets right now - curious...

A lot of press and buildup and then a seeming withdrawal from updates and movement by Coinlab
legendary
Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014
Any news on the transition?
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276
I do not know a lot about Peter Vessenes - I take it not everyone is thrilled or perhaps I misinterpreted... -  His linked in profile is interesting:

http://www.linkedin.com/in/vessenes

other than that I dont know a whole lot about him

Personally I'm pretty ambivalent about the guy.

My hopes for Bitcoin to be 'revolutionary' in a healthy way were at one time significant albeit always guarded.  Now to me more and more "it's about the money, Lebowski."

The:

- Mt. Gox owning the pleb's exchange (at least), the bitcointalk.org forum, a good portion of the Bitcoin Foundation, etc
 - The likelihood of mining effort being significantly monopolized when modern ASIC's come out
 - The prospect of full nodes being as rare as hens teeth when system growth can be unleashed
 - Various other things which I won't mention

all have worked to quash my own more altruistic hopes for the solution.  But the efforts and bodies which have evolved are producing a solution trajectory such that the actual value of my own BTC stash will be maximized.  I cannot complain about that, and can honestly thank Mr. Vessenes for the role he has played and is playing in the ecosystem.  Or that I suspect him of at least.  If I fail to capitalize effectively that will be my bad.

Activity: 630
I do not know a lot about Peter Vessenes - I take it not everyone is thrilled or perhaps I misinterpreted... -  His linked in profile is interesting:

http://www.linkedin.com/in/vessenes

other than that I dont know a whole lot about him

Activity: 756
Merit: 522
Pages:
Jump to: