Pages:
Author

Topic: Official Open Source FPGA Bitcoin Miner (Last Update: April 14th, 2013) - page 40. (Read 432921 times)

Activity: 686
Merit: 564
Thanks to the patch submitted by Udif, the code now supports a configurable amount of loop unrolling. The original design was fully unrolled, with 128 total round modules. By adjusting the CONFIG_LOOP_LOG2 Verilog define, you can choose to unroll to 64 round modules, 32, 16, 8, or 4. This makes the design smaller, at the equivalent cost of speed, which should allow it to run on many more FPGAs.

Hi. Having looked at the code I've got a question about the configurable loop unrolling. It appears from looking at sha256_transform.v that feedback is feeding the saved W and state into every stage of the hashing pipeline, not just the first, and I can't seem to see why this is necessary. What's more, if I'm reading what Quartus II is telling me correctly, doing this is costing me several MHz of clock speed and more importantly appears to be using fairly large amounts of logic resources. Is there any way to avoid this?

Edit: Ah, having actually read the comments I now understand. You're doing feedback seperately at each stage of the pipeline, so each pipeline stage computes 2**DEPTH rounds and outputs at 1/(2**DEPTH) speed. Interesting. The trouble with this approach is that I don't think 512-bit wide muxes are exactly cheap.
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
Power consumption is of course a factor but if you are talking pure hashes per sec to purchase price these things dont yet compete.  Or am i missing something?

When the difficulty is high enough that 6990s just barely turn a profit over the power cost, FPGA mining will become very cost effective.
Activity: 210
What rate would one of these be capable of?
 http://www.dinigroup.com/new/hpc.php

I also just received pricing on this cluster yesterday:
http://www.dinigroup.com/new/DNBFC_S12_12_Cluster.php

about 132K USD Smiley
This seems to be a rather inexpensive system actually. Should yield 30GH/s.

Which one would yield 30GH/s ?  The cluster or the single card?
The cluster (190MH/s per XC6SLX150).

I just got a price quote on the single card as well... 9,995 USD.  If i understand you correctly the card with 13 cores should yield about 2.5 GH/s.  So at these rates it still seems cheaper to go with 3 6990's at 750 USD per piece than something like this.  Power consumption is of course a factor but if you are talking pure hashes per sec to purchase price these things dont yet compete.  Or am i missing something?

1 x PCIe card with 13 cores = 9,995 USD -> 2560 MH/s
3 x 6990 = +/- 2350 USD -> 2100 MH/s

Activity: 504
Merit: 500
FPGA Mining LLC
Now I have: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23683845/fpgaminer-virtex5.zip
You'll need to adjust the line "constant DEPTH : integer := 6;" (2^n pipeline stages) in top.vhd.

Hi All.  I am trying to implement the following on a Virtex 6. DCMs are no longer used on the Virtex 6 and have been replaced with MMCMs. So far I have swapped the DCM for an MMCM and am able to implement the design.  But when I try to run the python script, it fails. I get a "Got bad message from FPGA: 240".  I would appreciate any guidance you could provide. Thanks.
As you're probably not running at 120MHz you'll need to adjust the UART clock divider.
If you provide your clock frequency I can calculate the correct values for you.

Oh, and it would be interesting which Virtex 6 model this is, which frequency you can reach and how many LUTs/slices/FFs are used.
FPGA Mining LLC

about 132K USD Smiley

The cluster (190MH/s per XC6SLX150).
Activity: 378
Merit: 255
Now I have: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23683845/fpgaminer-virtex5.zip
You'll need to adjust the line "constant DEPTH : integer := 6;" (2^n pipeline stages) in top.vhd.

Hi All.  I am trying to implement the following on a Virtex 6. DCMs are no longer used on the Virtex 6 and have been replaced with MMCMs. So far I have swapped the DCM for an MMCM and am able to implement the design.  But when I try to run the python script, it fails. I get a "Got bad message from FPGA: 240".  I would appreciate any guidance you could provide. Thanks.
What is the current state of the DE0-nano (how many MH/s, room for improvement)?

It fits with the unrolling parameter set to 3 (just). This results in one hash per 8 clock cycles, or 6.25MH/s at 50MHz (Max 79 MHz). Depending on price/difficulty it would bring in $5-10 per month.

As with any development board, it isn't a cost effective mining solution. It is, however, a good choice if you're looking to learn.

about 132K USD Smiley

legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000
You are WRONG!
595USD / 30USD/BTC / 50BTC/block * 567358shares/block * 4294967296hashes/share = 966591008532507 hashes until it pays off, at current difficulty.
966591008532507hashes / 80Mhashes/sec / 3600secs/hour / 24hours/day = 140 days.
Two months? And all this relies on the price keeping pace with the difficulty, and didn't include any fees, downtimes, power costs or the PC driving the board. Account another 10-20% for that.
sorry for the bad calculation Sad i was thinking about the DE0-nano, price at 79$/59$
my fault.

What is the current state of the DE0-nano (how many MH/s, room for improvement)?
In general, I don't expect to get rich, but I'm a software engineer by trade and always happy about new gadgets Smiley If those gadgets would finance themselves sooner or later, I'd also be happy about that Wink
i am known for my bad calculations but i think it might give 20MH/s its ~20k LEs. the DE2 is 80MH/s and the design fully unrolled is about ~ 80k LEs. do the math yourself. mine might be wrong.
Activity: 109
Merit: 10
595USD / 30USD/BTC / 50BTC/block * 567358shares/block * 4294967296hashes/share = 966591008532507 hashes until it pays off, at current difficulty.
Two months? And all this relies on the price keeping pace with the difficulty, and didn't include any fees, downtimes, power costs or the PC driving the board. Account another 10-20% for that.
sorry for the bad calculation Sad i was thinking about the DE0-nano, price at 79$/59$
my fault.

In general, I don't expect to get rich, but I'm a software engineer by trade and always happy about new gadgets Smiley If those gadgets would finance themselves sooner or later, I'd also be happy about that Wink
legendary
You are WRONG!
my fault.
FPGA Mining LLC
I've thought about this too -- not just because of the price, but simply having all those nice components I could not use while the thing is mining. There are some more minimal boards available, such as this one with an LX150, for about 400 euros with the necessary baseboard:

http://shop.trenz-electronic.de/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_65_143&products_id=917&osCsid=40823974778ae324bbd6778f2e17b289

Another problem is that the free-beer Xilinx software does not work with the largest chips, beyond LX45 or something.

It isn't really clear though whether it's an LX100 or LX150.
FPGA Mining LLC
Ever after reading the whole thread, I'm still not quite sure which board would currently be the best for mining. Is the Cyclone IV based Terasic DE2-115 Development Board still the best choice?
All development boards I've seen so far, which would be suited, aren't cost effective because they contain lots of peripherals that we don't need.
If you want to go for a cost effective solution, you'll need to build a board yourself.
If you don't need a cost effective solution, choose a board with a huge FPGA (Spartan6 LX150, Virtex5 LX110 or sone of the Altera ones which I don't really know), based on what your secondary application needs. Buying a development board just for mining won't pay off, it could serve as a prototype at best.
it would pay off in about 2 Month, if the current price and difficulty holds

Activity: 520
Merit: 253
All development boards I've seen so far, which would be suited, aren't cost effective because they contain lots of peripherals that we don't need.
If you want to go for a cost effective solution, you'll need to build a board yourself.
If you don't need a cost effective solution, choose a board with a huge FPGA (Spartan6 LX150, Virtex5 LX110 or sone of the Altera ones which I don't really know), based on what your secondary application needs. Buying a development board just for mining won't pay off, it could serve as a prototype at best.

I've thought about this too -- not just because of the price, but simply having all those nice components I could not use while the thing is mining. There are some more minimal boards available, such as this one with an LX150, for about 400 euros with the necessary baseboard:

http://shop.trenz-electronic.de/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_65_143&products_id=917&osCsid=40823974778ae324bbd6778f2e17b289

Another problem is that the free-beer Xilinx software does not work with the largest chips, beyond LX45 or something.
legendary
You are WRONG!
Ever after reading the whole thread, I'm still not quite sure which board would currently be the best for mining. Is the Cyclone IV based Terasic DE2-115 Development Board still the best choice?
it would pay off in about 2 Month, if the current price and difficulty holds
FPGA Mining LLC
Activity: 109
Merit: 10
it reports 48C for the junction temperature. I might just keep it at 50 to be safe.
Altera commercial FPGAs are rated for 85C JT.

After doing some digging to get the JTAG device ID (the JTAG debugger in Quartus doesn't seem to think this is worth mentioning) I finally have it running on a DE0-Nano. I started with the plastic cover on, took it off and found the FPGA quite hot to touch. With it sitting over a not-so-small PC case fan with the cover off, it has dropped to (what feels like) under 40C.

It has successfully produced a block on the testnet Smiley
FPGA Mining LLC

about 132K USD Smiley

about 132K USD Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: