Pages:
Author

Topic: [OLD] Eligius: ASIC, no registration, no fee CPPSRB BTC + 105% PPS NMC, 877 # - page 52. (Read 458255 times)

Activity: 737
Merit: 500
I too have had to take my November Jupiter to another pool. I got over 10% hardware errors and cores enabling/disabling constantly. After my 12hr avg @ Eligius dropped below 600, I switched to BTC Guild and now get 660-690 at the pool with 1.7% hardware errors and no cores goin on and off.

I noticed that my diff @ Eligius alternated between 512 and 1024 while I consistently get 256 @ BTC Guild, if that might have anything to do with it.

Yep same here. Oct jupiter works flawlessly on eligius but Nov jupiter has 8% hw errors and cores disabling like crazy but when I switch Nov jupiter to ghash pool it works fine errors drop back and no disabled cores

My November Jupiter is working fine (660 GH/s with 2% HW errors and 0.1% rejects), although I am using the cgminer-tune binary from here and I am using --load-balance to split my hashing between btcguild and eligius.

My only problem is that when the miner initially starts up, there are a few moments of insanity until the first vardiff adjustment makes the share difficulty reasonable.  I wish there was a way to specify a starting difficulty other than '2'.  I'd probably pick something like 64.  Then my Jupiter and BitFury rigs would vardiff up to something like 256/512 and my BFL Singles would vardiff down to 16/32 as appropriate.  I gather that wizkid057 is working on an enhancement to bfgminer, which is fine, but won't help me on devices that have their own mining software (e.g. my BitFury).
Activity: 1246
Merit: 501
hardware that can't change work on a new block.

It's mostly the Blades that give the issue, so not really surprising.  Roll Eyes
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
Difficulty changing is not harmful in any way.
Stale shares just come from latency on your internet connection and/or hardware that can't change work on a new block.
bfgminer i never test
but eligius have other problem
diff alternated between 512 and 1024 all time
is not stable

Agreed, the diff alternating between 512 and 1024 multiple times per hour maybe contributing to the problem and can be attributed to the pool. I think the pool vardiff algorithm could use some work...

I understand that the difficulty will bounce around a bit when the miner first connects to the pool while the hashrate stabilizes, but it should not be jumping around after that.

I see the difficulty moving here too, with only 32GH - it flips between 32 and 64, which gives me a few stale shares.
Activity: 109
Merit: 10
I too have had to take my November Jupiter to another pool. I got over 10% hardware errors and cores enabling/disabling constantly. After my 12hr avg @ Eligius dropped below 600, I switched to BTC Guild and now get 660-690 at the pool with 1.7% hardware errors and no cores goin on and off.

I noticed that my diff @ Eligius alternated between 512 and 1024 while I consistently get 256 @ BTC Guild, if that might have anything to do with it.

Yep same here. Oct jupiter works flawlessly on eligius but Nov jupiter has 8% hw errors and cores disabling like crazy but when I switch Nov jupiter to ghash pool it works fine errors drop back and no disabled cores
Activity: 742
bfgminer i never test
is not stable

Agreed, the diff alternating between 512 and 1024 multiple times per hour maybe contributing to the problem and can be attributed to the pool. I think the pool vardiff algorithm could use some work...

I understand that the difficulty will bounce around a bit when the miner first connects to the pool while the hashrate stabilizes, but it should not be jumping around after that.
Activity: 440
Merit: 250
bfgminer i never test
is not stable
HW errors are hardware errors, so it's probably a reporting issue.

Didn't I hear about a firmware for the KnC machines that use bfgminer instead of cgminer?
is impossible use this pool with jupiter november 10% hw is crazy

@wizkid057 if you want i can make remote for you see

now i am using ghash only  1.3% HW

http://awesomescreenshot.com/0e822tr3dd

pool eligius 10% HW more rejects, less WU and cores disables

http://awesomescreenshot.com/0dd22m3x20
Activity: 7
Merit: 0

legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220
Pool choice can not affect hardware error rate.  It is impossible by definition.

A hardware error is when the *hardware* has an issue. There could potentially be an issue in the mining software that can misreport hardware errors, but that also has nothing to do with the pool.

I think we understand that a hardware error shouldn't be attributable to the pool.

What I would be interested to find out is what difficulty level is being set by VARDIFF on the machines?

My Oct Jupiter (552Gh/s) has a 512 diff, whereas the Nov Jup (654Gh/s) has a 1024 diff. That could have an affect?

I remember cgminer developers talking about the difficulty calculation being relative to the diff, but I could be wrong.

Wiz could you try setting the VARDIFF for >750Gh/s back to 512 see if that helps?

Or those who have moved pools can you check your KnC machines?

It shows in the cgminer status:

Connected to stratum.mining.eligius.st diff 1.02K with stratum as user blablahblah
Activity: 658
I just notice the hashrate fluctuates alot for the past 2 hrs. Is the server overloaded? maybe network?

The pool's hashrate has grown alot recently, should we worry about the server's load?
Activity: 809
HELP I am trying to mine with bfgminer3.8.0, but it keeps crashing right after I enter the eligius information...
Pool choice can not affect hardware error rate.  It is impossible by definition.

A hardware error is when the *hardware* has an issue. There could potentially be an issue in the mining software that can misreport hardware errors, but that also has nothing to do with the pool.

I agree. The problem is likely in cgminer.
legendary
Activity: 1223
Merit: 1006
Pool choice can not affect hardware error rate.  It is impossible by definition.

legendary
some kncminers have problems with HW here this pool

i use ghash some hours and not have errors and stable

eligius lot of errors and not stable difficult and WU 8700 and cores disable
ghash not cores disable and WU 9400

Agreed. I have a November Jupiter that has a lot of hardware errors (~10%) on Eligius, but almost none and a 10% higher hashrate on BtcGuild.

I want to mine on Eligius to support mining pool decentralization, but will not take a 10% hashrate hit to do so.

Agreed. I have a November Jupiter that has a lot of hardware errors (~10%) on Eligius, but almost none and a 10% higher hashrate on BtcGuild.

I want to mine on Eligius to support mining pool decentralization, but will not take a 10% hashrate hit to do so.
Confirm. I also have ~ 8% increased hw error rate and a lower hashrate than on another pool.

Edit: With a Nov KnC Jupiter.

@wizkid. Any idea?

I dont think anyone posting realizes what a hardware error actually is.  It has nothing at all whatsoever to do with the pool...

Edit: (clarity) A "hardware error" occurs when the hardware returns a nonce it believes is a valid difficulty 1 share and when the mining software rechecks it, it isn't.  Again, this has nothing whatsoever to do with the pool.

Fair enough, but here is what I know:

- When I connect an October Jupiter to Eligius and BtcGuild, the hashrate reported reported by cgminer and by both pools is almost identical.

- When I connect a November Jupiter to Eligius, cgminer and Eligius report a hashrate ~10% less than what is reported when I connect the same machine to BtcGuild (note that cgminer also reflects the same higher hashrate as BtcGuild when connected to BtcGuild).

I have no idea why this is occurring, but a 10% hashrate hit is substantial enough to switch pools.

No idea.  I'd love to actually try testing this a bit if anyone would lend remote access to an affected device, though.

I do feel the need to note that cgminer does *not* report the hash rate as seen by the pool (any pool) (bfgminer does, 3rd hash rate number).

In any case, you would really need a decently long (few days) test against each pool individually to actually see if you are in fact hashing faster/slower on one pool or another using pool-side stats.  What cgminer tells you is irrelevant.

-wk

Confirm. I also have ~ 8% increased hw error rate and a lower hashrate than on another pool.

@wizkid. Any idea?

I dont think anyone posting realizes what a hardware error actually is.  It has nothing at all whatsoever to do with the pool...

Edit: (clarity) A "hardware error" occurs when the hardware returns a nonce it believes is a valid difficulty 1 share and when the mining software rechecks it, it isn't.  Again, this has nothing whatsoever to do with the pool.

Fair enough, but here is what I know:

- When I connect an October Jupiter to Eligius and BtcGuild, the hashrate reported reported by cgminer and by both pools is almost identical.

- When I connect a November Jupiter to Eligius, cgminer and Eligius report a hashrate ~10% less than what is reported when I connect the same machine to BtcGuild (note that cgminer also reflects the same higher hashrate as BtcGuild when connected to BtcGuild).

I have no idea why this is occurring, but a 10% hashrate hit is substantial enough to switch pools.
legendary

@wizkid. Any idea?

Edit: (clarity) A "hardware error" occurs when the hardware returns a nonce it believes is a valid difficulty 1 share and when the mining software rechecks it, it isn't.  Again, this has nothing whatsoever to do with the pool.
agree because saturn october works +/-
and jupiter november -/-
Actually, after looking at this a bit more, I'm confused because cgminer 3.8.1 is included in the .99e November Jupiter firmware, and that was supposed to correct the problem with the Eligius pool. This must be a new issue that only impacts November Jupiters...
Pages:
Jump to: