Pages:
Author

Topic: Open Source Avalon Gen2 55nm Board - page 10. (Read 35875 times)

legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
November 12, 2013, 06:26:56 PM
I see avalon chips that are cheaper then 10$

Probably Avalon 110nm. We are talking about 55nm chips here.

12BTC for a reel of 500. At $350/BTC, that's $8.40 per chip.
mrb
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027
November 12, 2013, 06:23:59 PM

Probably Avalon 110nm. We are talking about 55nm chips here.
Activity: 183
Merit: 100
Buy Ganjs Seeds with BTC @ www.qualityseeds.nl
November 12, 2013, 05:54:46 PM
Create a blade which can be used to replace a current one in an avalon and sell it at a price which leaves a 20-30% earning margin to the buyer and you can probably sell six thousands of such blades in a few hours...

That's the impossible part. Everybody has a different idea of what the price should be to "leave 20-30% earning margin". And if you want to satisfy most potential buyers, the price has to be such that the vendor has to sell at loss.

Look: a Avalon 55nm chip at 1.5Gh/s delivered about 2 weeks from today would probably not mine more than 0.060-0.070 BTC during its entire lifetime (most people would agree). If you want to leave 20-30% earning margin, it means the vendor would have to sell at less than 0.046-0.058 BTC per chip. But the chip alone costs 0.060 BTC from Bitsyncom...
The chips would have to be under $10 to be useful. This pricing in BTC is bad, it's should be priced in fiat and you can pay in BTC using Bitpay which works out the exchange rate on the spot. If chip delivery takes more than 2 weeks, then it's probably not worth taking the risk and simply keeping your BTC as it's generally rising in value.

legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
November 12, 2013, 05:45:04 PM
Nice board form. If you are looking at hole spacing for heatsinks, can I suggest you use the ones for a half brick DC/DC convertor? The spacing is 1.9" x 2.0", and because they're standardized they're easy to get anywhere so availability isn't a problem.
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/VHS-95/102-1489-ND/1016697
They're also very cheap for what you get.

By personal views, A3255 chip is cheap, if over clock too much will go with a huge increase of peripheral (DCDC, heat dissipation, etc)cost, then it's unworthy. just add a few chips and run under lower voltage. In other words, this is an art of balancing.
While I wish this were the case, it's not really true given the current price of BTC. At 12BTC/reel, it's US$8.40 per chip or $5.6/GH/s. Just for chips that's untenable, as you're at the same price per GH/s as the Bitfury chips which are more efficient and have a multitude of designs available already. I like the idea, but you need to revisit your pricing.

Yes but this is 10 chips because he has 10 chips... And 24W power usage. So yes only bit more then 50% at the moment but there is also efficiently that you need to think about. And overheating. I have a Chili board. And the biggest problem is power supply. It is on the limit and it needs additional cooling or the board slows down by 20%... So because you have save some $ on parts you need now additional cooling(fan and heatsinks) on power supply and that cost more then stronger power supply and uses more power since you need a fan and it runs in less effective part of operational range... Not to talk about lost hashes... So some parts are better if they are stronger...
I wouldn't say that, the power supply in the Chili actually runs fine with no airflow or heatsink at its nominal voltage and current (1V, ~90-100A) though it does get warm. The board just auto-overclocks in order to increase the hashrate, and the BFL can actually pull almost 20A each if they are really pushed. The RevB chips are actually even more power hungry than the first gen ones, which exacerbates the problem. The board doesn't slow down by 20% without extra cooling on the power supply, it just can't be overclocked as far.

erk
Activity: 826
Merit: 500
November 12, 2013, 05:43:46 PM
Create a blade which can be used to replace a current one in an avalon and sell it at a price which leaves a 20-30% earning margin to the buyer and you can probably sell six thousands of such blades in a few hours...

That's the impossible part. Everybody has a different idea of what the price should be to "leave 20-30% earning margin". And if you want to satisfy most potential buyers, the price has to be such that the vendor has to sell at loss.

Look: a Avalon 55nm chip at 1.5Gh/s delivered about 2 weeks from today would probably not mine more than 0.060-0.070 BTC during its entire lifetime (most people would agree). If you want to leave 20-30% earning margin, it means the vendor would have to sell at less than 0.046-0.058 BTC per chip. But the chip alone costs 0.060 BTC from Bitsyncom...
The chips would have to be under $10 to be useful. This pricing in BTC is bad, it's should be priced in fiat and you can pay in BTC using Bitpay which works out the exchange rate on the spot. If chip delivery takes more than 2 weeks, then it's probably not worth taking the risk and simply keeping your BTC as it's generally rising in value.

mrb
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027
November 12, 2013, 05:33:03 PM

November 12, 2013, 05:08:23 PM
Nice project. My concern it that Avalon will let us down with chip supply again like happened to the Klondike project. Does anyone have any information on there chip sales/schedule?

You can order online Avalon chips A3256-Q48 if thats what you mean..otherwise i do not get it ;-)..and that's always a option 
erk
Merit: 500
November 12, 2013, 04:27:49 PM
Nice project. My concern it that Avalon will let us down with chip supply again like happened to the Klondike project. Does anyone have any information on there chip sales/schedule?

Merit: 1000
November 12, 2013, 04:21:19 PM

Ngzhang, are you guys going to produce your own modules, or are you going to abandon the backwards compatibility idea?

We will release a few (very few) Avalon Gen2 Mini prototype on our shop in 1-2 days, this prototype will NOT mass production.

http://avalon-asics.com/shop/

(not put up yet)

It's basically based on our open-sourced design, 96 chips running at 1V/1.5GH, 144G overall speed. most of the parts are the same with Gen1 mini.

I think this is a start, it's easy to build upgrade modules for Gen1 machines.

But we will NOT produce compatible modules our self in large number, a lot of people can do it faster I think.
The main problem at the moment is that we think that new program for FPGA is necessary for new modules to work. Is this right? Also is it strong enough? Since you plan to do that it is probably possible and if we don't need to worry about writing program for FPGA that helps a lot... I did not looked at all cerfuly but I could not see code for it on https://github.com/BitSyncom/avalon-ref

Can you tell more on this product that is coming? Will it worked if you put only one in and other Gen1 modules will still work? Any changes to FPGA needed? Anyway I would be interested in one and plans for it...

Please enlarge the board in order to make room for mounting holes in all four corners (like the Klondike board).  That way the boards could be mounted properly in an open-air case:

This is more or less biased on that board so make it compatible with it is not a problem. I can't see a problem making this work. But making it just to make it is not best way to go... So if someone is ready to commit to have them made would be nice since there are a lot of signals that community will not buy anything from Avalon.
November 12, 2013, 04:02:50 PM

Ngzhang, are you guys going to produce your own modules, or are you going to abandon the backwards compatibility idea?

We will release a few (very few) Avalon Gen2 Mini prototype on our shop in 1-2 days, this prototype will NOT mass production.

(not put up yet)

It's basically based on our open-sourced design, 96 chips running at 1V/1.5GH, 144G overall speed. most of the parts are the same with Gen1 mini.

But we will NOT produce compatible modules our self in large number, a lot of people can do it faster I think.
Are u gonna publish that as opensource to ? after you have your sales completed i would like to start my own but to little knowledge on this moment
legendary
Activity: 924
Think. Positive. Thoughts.
November 12, 2013, 03:26:37 PM
It's sure nice to see Avalon helping with open source projects based on their chips.... nevermind that they've utterly screwed everyone in batch 3, anyone tied to chip orders, and everyone who sent hardware in for tradins.
Activity: 924
November 12, 2013, 02:42:34 PM

(not put up yet)

Avalon still owes me 18 btc from trade-ins.   And Batch #3 was a total scam, it has paid 46 out of  103 btc I had paid.

I suggest you and Yifu rectify these issues you have created first.
Activity: 592
Merit: 501
We will stand and fight.
November 12, 2013, 01:45:25 PM

(not put up yet)

November 12, 2013, 01:01:50 PM
If there is some interest for sure... We do looking into way to put this in Avalon casing...
I'am and there should be more...;-) there are only a few opensource topic's and surely people would like to know more about that....I'm getting into the whole pcb design and frankly i love it there is sow much potential

A friend have's allot of equipment i can use to make a board and test it and if i all get it prob buy that for my own really
just getting started sow i do not know if i can help you with anything....

What kind of software where u using making the pcb design ? a'm using Kicad

( can order 80 or more A3256-Q48 ) hope its legit do

November 12, 2013, 12:50:54 PM
If there is some interest for sure... We do looking into way to put this in Avalon casing...
November 12, 2013, 11:58:12 AM
Thanks for your opensource project :-)

And do u guys still work on this project ?
legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080
November 12, 2013, 01:23:16 AM
Open air cases are nice, but personally I'd prefer if these modules were a drop-in replacement for existing Avalon modules. The Avalon cases are a pretty solid design (with the exception of the top lid screws) so IMHO it would be a shame if us existing Avalon owners could no longer use them.

Activity: 512
Merit: 250
November 11, 2013, 09:21:04 PM
Please enlarge the board in order to make room for mounting holes in all four corners (like the Klondike board).  That way the boards could be mounted properly in an open-air case:

Activity: 462
November 11, 2013, 07:33:20 PM
Avalon are a bunch of worthless apes!   Tongue
Activity: 294
November 11, 2013, 09:25:42 AM

design boards that fit in standard avalon casing! so we can scrap the old cards and get 4x80x1.5GH per unit.

That sounds interesting, but unfortunately i don't own such a avalon case. It would be helpful when someone who has one, tells me the exactly dimentions of the board, heatink positions, etc. and can provide some detailed photos.

It should be readily available for avalon gen 1. there all designs are public in their github.
https://github.com/BitSyncom/avalon-ref

I believe its the controller that avalon uses , since the avalon 1-2-3 units have up to 320 chips have to be quite advanced?
Im not sure, this is things i have heard.
Pages:
Jump to: