Pages:
Author

Topic: Open Source Avalon Gen2 55nm Board - page 4. (Read 35875 times)

Activity: 58
Merit: 0
January 28, 2014, 11:08:16 PM
Hey Jeffery,

Did you leave the PIC blank? No device shows up on windows or Linux.
Activity: 234
Merit: 10
January 27, 2014, 08:11:08 PM
Edit driver-klondike.c and set MAX_WORK_COUNT to 8, then compile again.

I did it. but it has changed nothing. I have also follow the tip to change
#define REPLY_WAIT_TIME 25
#define CMD_REPLY_RETRIES 4
and compiled it new (make). Restart and nothing has changed.

Ideas?
Activity: 41
January 27, 2014, 03:56:10 PM
What must I do to make this board mining under cgminer? Please help me

Edit driver-klondike.c and set MAX_WORK_COUNT to 8, then compile again.
January 27, 2014, 03:38:44 PM
I have the idea that my PicKit3 is not working correctly. So I ordered a new one. Until it arrvives and I can flash the firmware for 25 GHs I will try to make the boards run as they at moment are.

I'm using minepeon succesfully for my Jalapenos and I want to use it (another Raspy with Minepeon) for my boards.
What have i done?
- installed the board incl. headsink and fan
- download cgminer from github

cd cgminer-klondike
chmod +x ./autogen.sh
./autogen.sh
./configure --enable-klondike
make

- added in the miner.conf following line: "klondike-options": "1300:50",

- startet cgminer
- startet the board
- cgminer detects the board
- cgminer gives errormessage: Klondike (1:8 ) detect read failed (0:-7)
- board is running with 17 GHs
- cgminer gives errormessage: KLN0:0 went idle before work was sent

What must I do to make this board mining under cgminer? Please help me
January 27, 2014, 03:25:14 PM
Try to adjust this will get u different result ~  currently Max I get is around 12 - 16 G~  unstable ~

1st - #define MAX_WORK_COUNT      8  // must be binary multiple and match driver

2nd - #define TICK_TOTAL          12355  // 2^18 / 21.33uS TMR0 period (adjusted down for push time)

3rd - #define DEFAULT_HASHCLOCK   2300

this are the combo ~ u need to try on vary no. ~ if u get a best Combo ~ pls suggest here too

Nothing changes. Still "ignored" messages. Looks like there is something missing in microcontroller <> chip data exchange

if the Max Count is 8 ~  >>>>  #define TICK_TOTAL   20800

Can anybody please tell me where I have to change these values? In CGMINER? Or in the firmware of the board?

Activity: 40
January 27, 2014, 01:06:22 AM
I have 3.3 V and the Pickit is connected correctly.
I can also download the existing firmware from the board.
Could it be that there must be a special setting in MPLABX IDE for prject properties ? Under prject properties - licensed debugger - auto select memories and ranges: I can choose "allow licensed debugger to select memories" or must ist be "manually select memories and ranges"?

No, you did it right way.

I think, you have problem in your pcb or soldering.

I tested firmware working in my 10-chip board( I just tuned it up for mining speed ) and minimal setting in my breadboard.

Just connect usb header & ICSP Pins and powered form pickit3(with MPLAB 3.3v power output setting) , it works well.

January 26, 2014, 08:06:18 PM
I have 3.3 V and the Pickit is connected correctly.
I can also download the existing firmware from the board.
Could it be that there must be a special setting in MPLABX IDE for prject properties ? Under prject properties - licensed debugger - auto select memories and ranges: I can choose "allow licensed debugger to select memories" or must ist be "manually select memories and ranges"?
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
January 26, 2014, 06:34:47 PM
Yes I use it. But the errormessage says the it could not write to the board. It seems to be a settings problem. The programmer tries to write from 0x0 and the expected range seems to begin at 0x3027.

No, what that message means is that the programmer is querying the chip for it's ID. That's hardcoded into the Pic, and it works if it's blank and can't be erased. Different PICs have different IDs, so if MPLAB is expecting 0x3027 and instead reads 0x4ca0 (PIC18F46J50) it will pop up and error saying that you're trying to write to the wrong kind of PIC.

If the programmer queries the PIC for it's device ID and reads 0x00, that means it's unable to talk to the PIC at all. Check that you have 3.3V to the chip, and that the PICKIT is connected correctly.
January 26, 2014, 06:26:40 PM
Yes I use it. But the errormessage says the it could not write to the board. It seems to be a settings problem. The programmer tries to write from 0x0 and the expected range seems to begin at 0x3027.
Activity: 13
January 26, 2014, 09:30:04 AM
@HerrHeimlich

You have to use MPLAB IPE.
January 26, 2014, 08:12:39 AM
Yes, it becomes power from the psu. If the pickkit connects to the board the led is flashing once.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
January 26, 2014, 06:27:13 AM
Ok, what I did:
- bought Pickit3, downloaded MPLAB X, installed it
- download latest firmware once from
     github.com/formtapez/avalon and from
     github.com/zipiju/k16-firmware
-connected Pickit3 to computer, drivers have been installed
- started Pickit3
- choosen as device: PIC16LF1459
- pressed connect
- warning window pops up to check wether the choose device is correct or not. => checked it chip on board
   is PIC16LF1459 => pressed ok
- warning window pops up: Target Device ID (0x0) does not match the expected Device ID (0x3027). Would
  you like to continue? => press ok => CONNECTION WILL BE ESTABLISHED
- choose downloaded .hex-file => press Program
- error message comes up: failed to program device

What am I doing wrong? For me it seems that I have the .hex-files? Is this correct?

Does hongkongapple1 gave is latest firmware to anyone of you? I asked him twice for the .hex-file for 25GHs and he gave me no response nor the files.

Can anybody help me a little bit?

The PicKit is not able to talk to the chip. Do you have the board powered while you try this?
January 25, 2014, 07:25:38 PM
Ok, what I did:
- bought Pickit3, downloaded MPLAB X, installed it
- download latest firmware once from
     github.com/formtapez/avalon and from
     github.com/zipiju/k16-firmware
-connected Pickit3 to computer, drivers have been installed
- started Pickit3
- choosen as device: PIC16LF1459
- pressed connect
- warning window pops up to check wether the choose device is correct or not. => checked it chip on board
   is PIC16LF1459 => pressed ok
- warning window pops up: Target Device ID (0x0) does not match the expected Device ID (0x3027). Would
  you like to continue? => press ok => CONNECTION WILL BE ESTABLISHED
- choose downloaded .hex-file => press Program
- error message comes up: failed to program device

What am I doing wrong? For me it seems that I have the .hex-files? Is this correct?

Does hongkongapple1 gave is latest firmware to anyone of you? I asked him twice for the .hex-file for 25GHs and he gave me no response nor the files.

Can anybody help me a little bit?

Activity: 40
January 23, 2014, 11:59:36 PM
Hi everybody,

now I have my first Klondike-boards in hands and it seems that they need the last firmware to become flashed. Can anybody give me a description howto do this?

I also want to mine with the boards using minepeon. Must I patch the cgminer used by minepeon? If yes, how to do this?

A little help would be wonderfull.

Best regards

Joerg

First, Klondike thread is here -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=190731.3540

you can get last firmware  here ( It's write in first page of upper thread ) -> http://github.com/bkkcoins/klondike

you can find detail manual of Klondike , here -> http://www.projectklondike.org/

Buy PicKit3 in from here. www.microchipdirect.com

Download MPLAB IDE form www.microchip.com and compile firmware oor just write Hex to your PIC MCU with IPE (it's part of MPLAB IDE)
January 23, 2014, 02:18:55 PM
Hi everybody,

now I have my first Klondike-boards in hands and it seems that they need the last firmware to become flashed. Can anybody give me a description howto do this?

I also want to mine with the boards using minepeon. Must I patch the cgminer used by minepeon? If yes, how to do this?

A little help would be wonderfull.

Best regards

Joerg
January 21, 2014, 11:57:23 PM
I can't get the sim to run on Altium for nothing. Does anyone know if those were built in an older Eagle environment, or what sim software will run it if any?

By datasheet, the chips claim 2.05W/Gh. We could run the chips at 1.5-1.6GH/s on the 10-chip board, so on the 16-chip board the typical power consumption will be 2.05*1.6*16=52.48W. Assuming 1V core supply voltage, this results in 52.48A consumption from the DVDD source.

But the measured power consumption is a bit higher. The 10-chip board draws 3.5A from the 12V source which is 42W. Assume 3W goes into 3.3V supply to power the PIC and the rest of the circuit, while 39W goes into the voltage converter. Assuming 85% efficiency (per datasheet at this output voltage), the output power is 33.15W which corresponds to 33A current draw for 10 chips. If we run 16 chips in this mode, the current would proportionally rise to 53.04A.

I believe your math may be off trying to use optimum W/GH to calculate DC/DC converter current I/O. I noticed you quoted the current and voltage draw from the source but did you take any other measurements off the 10 chip board? If you measured a current draw on this converter above 35 amps with 10 chips it would really save me a lot of time.

I'm hoping it was intended to reflect this:

1.1V * 2A = 2.2 W/GH ==> 36A Draw for 16 chips or 35.2W for the same -- Give or take because engineers are forced to lie by management
January 21, 2014, 01:04:31 PM
So 95A... It is tested and it works(on a different board)... So don't worry...
Ok, at least it sort of works. I already ordered the PCBs so I'll probably just run the modules overloaded or reduce the hash rate. But it's a bad engineering practice. Do you think TI's engineers were not tempted to quote higher values in their datasheet if the device was really capable of providing more output current? These days everything is around marketing, and part manufacturers sometimes quote very optimistic values that are only achievable in very controlled circumstances, while in real applications the part can't be realistically expected to deliver that performance. So there must be reasons why their nominal output current is limited to 50A, not more.

Overcurrent protection is just a safeguard against unexpected, exceptional overloads but not a guideline to constantly run your device at currents between 50 and 95A. If you constantly violate datasheet requirements in your designs, you're simply asking for trouble. Say, if this module fails catastrophically, not only it will cost you some $40-$50 to replace it, but it could also fry 16 of your Avalon chips. In the end you may lose a whole board with all parts.

I would consider reducing the number of chips on the board to 12-14 or making a custom VDD voltage regulator in place of the PTH12040 module. The latter approach could also save costs considerably. I have some experience with switching mode power converters, but not at these high currents.

I share your cause for concern here. My uncles worked at TI 30 years as a lead engineer I'll run it by him. I have several years of experience myself. 2 years in Metrology constantly having to bring engineers back to the real world, because measurements are only as reliable as the instrument taking the measurement, and of course they would quote higher values if there was any chance it was capable.

They show on the graphs optimum current output is 35A, 50A is the absolute maximum. The derating curve suggests component breakdown over 50A. I didn't have a chance to examine the justification for your estimates. Is there any chance that they're off?
Activity: 51
January 21, 2014, 11:57:32 AM
hongkongapple1 still sick? Can you please send my boards on the way...

Dear Lucko,  I have now still now 5 boards for u,  & 11 boards for my Finland Clients~  who he have actually have wait for the longest time ~  there is a lots of credit for your guys ~  who paitent enought to wait ~  While problem arise on the board,  some board can't pass the test, which cos more delay ~

All should be finialized ~  should be able to send them all all tomorrow.. ~

Lets u guys had a great news ~  

Now the board can run very stable @ 1.59 Ghz / Chips ~

Means u can now get ~ a promised ( 25.5 Ghz very Stable !)

~  So some who do true this dude !  Will Paid off now ~

Pls do not ask me how,  this is lots of hardwork & co-operation ~  ( including working under a 5 days Extreme Fever & Flu, super head killing condition ~  luckily all are passed !  only my voice are not back yet,  I have almost lost my voice )

Only avaliable to Lucko & great supporter ~

I will preload the firmware for u ~    

Hi,
do you have already readed GNU v3 public licence because original source code & hw is published under GNU v3 so if you use this code you must to publish modifications!  

I am author of another avalon 2 open source design (sw & hw) for info but this is usable for another people and safe more time.
This is fu****g bussines copy copy copy but no support for developer!  

Activity: 46
January 21, 2014, 09:48:55 AM
Pls do not ask me how,  this is lots of hardwork & co-operation

Please let me ask if you also had to modify the board, or made software tweaking only?

I've already sent the plans to my factory, but I don't have the time to debug the board right now, so I'll have to cancel the order then :\
Activity: 49
January 21, 2014, 08:04:25 AM
hongkongapple1 still sick? Can you please send my boards on the way...

Dear Lucko,  I have now still now 5 boards for u,  & 11 boards for my Finland Clients~  who he have actually have wait for the longest time ~  there is a lots of credit for your guys ~  who paitent enought to wait ~  While problem arise on the board,  some board can't pass the test, which cos more delay ~

All should be finialized ~  should be able to send them all all tomorrow.. ~

Lets u guys had a great news ~ 

Now the board can run very stable @ 1.59 Ghz / Chips ~

Means u can now get ~ a promised ( 25.5 Ghz very Stable !)

~  So some who do true this dude !  Will Paid off now ~

Pls do not ask me how,  this is lots of hardwork & co-operation ~  ( including working under a 5 days Extreme Fever & Flu, super head killing condition ~  luckily all are passed !  only my voice are not back yet,  I have almost lost my voice )

Only avaliable to Lucko & great supporter ~

I will preload the firmware for u ~   
Pages:
Jump to: