Pages:
Author

Topic: [Open Source Hardware Project] Hive & Wasp Prototype Development - page 3. (Read 16180 times)

Activity: 728
Merit: 503
dApps Development Automation Platform
Bick the problem I can see and that has been encountered with projects such as the Red Fury/ Blue Fury etc etc etc is if you don't design your own chip you are either:

A) standing there with your hands in your pocket waiting and HOPEING more reels of chips are made (AKA BITFURY)
B) Constantly having to redesign your main boards to accommodate new chips. And then your back in the same boat as option A.

Asicminer was/IS as successful as they are because they designed their own chip. They control how many are made based on their own needs. Does the Hive Project group at any point in time plan on designing their own chip, so they don't get stuck in Eternal Option A Loops?
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
Which type of wasps would you go for to fill your hive? Yes you can mix and match.

Hive with 8 x 24 Avalon A3255 55nm chips per Wasp would mine at over 230 Gh/s.

Hive with 8 x 24 BitFury 55nm chips  per Wasp would mine at over 440 Gh/s.

Hive with 8 x 6 A1 28nm chips per Wasp would mine at over 1.68 Th/s.

Hive with 8 x 2 Minion 28nm chips per Wasp would mine at over 1.8 Th/s.

The WPC is looking for a logo. We will be starting a contest later next week where our lifetime members will vote for a new logo designed by someone in bitcointalk and the winner gets 1 share in any ongoing WPC project and a free membership in the WPC. Keep your eyes peeled for the design brief in the threads and in the Services area.
We are currently restructuring our pages on the Zoho site and moving our current documents to our git server. With these changes and a larger group of lifetime members now involved in the promotion of the Wasp and Hive project they will be supporting this thread and providing information as we move around working on different areas in the Wasp Project Collective.

PM or email me if you are interested in lurking in the Zoho pages until the 15th of December without having to pay for membership.
Activity: 966
Merit: 502
The prototype is almost finished... ==>

truly modular !  Grin

That is FUNNY!! Cheesy

truly modular !  Grin

Quoted for posterity. I'm sure that dig will be a wonderful motivation for our whole team to put out an even better product. Thanks sharing it with the team right now.

I am pretty certain the EE's working on the Wasp and Hive will do a fine job. Come ask them some questions Saturday if you doubt it and anyone is welcome including Fractal and Inaba. Let me clear up a few things. First I am not a CEO or the owner COO or CFO, nor do I control any of the wallets in this collective. We are a collective of like minded people seeking to change the dynamic in the mining community. We are pretty confident the Wasp & Hive will be that first dynamic change.

I give my time here to help promote the WPC and the Wasp and Hive project. I am just one of 26 [edit] 28 lifetime members and another 40  [edit] 50 plus people just lurking in the WPC.  We have at least 6 Electrical Engineers and as many people with decades of professional firmware and software design available and supporting the Wasp & Hive project as well as our Mining Pool and other projects. Many are long time bitcointalk and bitcoin community members so whether I am a member or not means little to the overall scheme of things as I have no power over much of anything other than post a few notes here in bitcointalk on the project.

I am just here to sweep the floors, turn out the lights at the end of the day and let the EE's and Software guys focus on the project. The real stars are certainly skilled enough to produce what has been outlined and I can't wait to post up more as it comes together. You can come and look around and decide for yourself if what we have posted in this thread is viable or true. Nothing to hide.

I suspect being able to actually ask questions directly to the EE that is behind this project might make a huge difference on whether becoming a member or say buying a few shares or earning a few shares through working on the various projects is something of value or not, or ultimately buying these modular miners when they are available. Rather than have me defend the slanderous remarks and off-topic comments just come to the Hardware Team meeting Saturday at 1800H Seattle time and make up your own mind. I am pretty confident that our Lead EE has this project well in hand and is certainly well supported financially as well as technically by our members.

Oh yes and it is Open Source Hardware did I forget to mention that or that the test code is up on the git?

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

truly modular !  Grin
Activity: 966
Merit: 502
Update:

Membership has increased to 19 lifetime members our goal is to reach 30 before the 15th of December. 35 people are currently lurking and learning about the inter workings of the Wasp & Hive as well as other projects. We have started selling shares internally for the Wasp and Hive project, our Mining Pool, and will open up shares on a short run miner project to get out some hashing units before December.

A lifetime membershipin the Wasp Project Collective is $100 USD paid in BTC or via PayPal in USD. You can still be added to lurk up until the 15th December when we close the project pages to non-members.

Drop me an email or PM if you would like access.

Proud to announce that I am #21 on the member list, although I think I should be #20 since I made a partial payment right before avr. (I kidd... I swear! Cheesy)
Yeah, the Wasps and Hives would essentially be a replacement for a regular computer motherboard if you get into Scrypt hashing.

Again not 100% sure on the configuration but I will ask.
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912
The Concierge of Crypto
Yeah, the Wasps and Hives would essentially be a replacement for a regular computer motherboard if you get into Scrypt hashing.
Absolutely interested having theese products to upgrade my mining operation. Only members can buy or how to buy when ready? :-):-)
Very interesting project!

Anyone can buy. Anyone can make them.

We are looking at December for prototype. January for fabrication.
Activity: 736
Merit: 500
Absolutely interested having theese products to upgrade my mining operation. Only members can buy or how to buy when ready? :-):-)
Very interesting project!
$250 is the smallest share you can pay for in any project actually 0$ is as you don't have to participate in any projects if you don't want. You can also work for shares. 10 hours = 1 share = $250. Rather keep all that discussion to the Zoho Project pages as this mostly about the prototypes we are building. If you have more questions you can ask them in the new member area.

PM me your email address and I will add you to the Project for free and you can lurk until the 15th of December when we close the project pages to non-members.

$100 is the lifetime membership.
Activity: 119
Merit: 10
What kind of money are we talking about here to join the swarm? 1k, 10k, 100k? Not just as member but to take full advantage of the design in form of working hashing hardware.

Thanks.
I'm curious about the Scrypt version. We can see maybe 1 or 2 or even 3 potential chip makers, at the same time we know we can plug in high end AMD GPU cards. Perhaps a Wasp can accept a bunch of 7950's, and the Hive has 8 of those Wasps?

It would look like this:

Hive with 8 x 4 AMD 7950 GPU per Wasp would mine at over 19.2 Mh/s for Scrypt.

But I would need 32 video cards to complete the Hive.

Not sure at this time how our reconfigured Hive would work Dabs. So can't really comment on those numbers. If the EE has time I will ask him Saturday. The EE's right now are neck deep in the BitFury / Gen2 Avalon chip design at this time. Hoping in about a week or so to see something pseudo hashing.
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912
The Concierge of Crypto
I'm curious about the Scrypt version. We can see maybe 1 or 2 or even 3 potential chip makers, at the same time we know we can plug in high end AMD GPU cards. Perhaps a Wasp can accept a bunch of 7950's, and the Hive has 8 of those Wasps?

It would look like this:

Hive with 8 x 4 AMD 7950 GPU per Wasp would mine at over 19.2 Mh/s for Scrypt.

But I would need 32 video cards to complete the Hive.
What does the Hive & Wasp Modular Miner bring to our community?

It will deliver, for the first time to the community, some form of obsolescence protection. Our prototype Wasps are designed and will prototype with legacy chips, as well as cutting edge chips soon to be released on the market. Imagine a fully populated Hive (backplane) that accept a variety of Wasps using Bitfury, V2 Avalon or other legacy chips as well as Wasp designed with the A1, Minion or future chips planned for Q2. Not only will we be able to produce Wasps with future SHA256 ASIC chips but our own designers have plans to demonstrate the first SHA256 and Scrypt mining configuration in the same modular design. That will truly be disruptive innovation for the those doing DIY as well as established resellers looking to create a truly lasting following base of end users. Our modular design will live on for years growing with the needs of the community.

What will the Hive & Wasp Modular Miner cost?

We are carefully designing our system to match or provide additional savings over "retail", "pre-order" systems currently available. The one factor that holds back real saving are the costs of the ASIC chips and their availability. We avoid some of the vagaries of the marketplace as we are able on a moments notice to react and design based on chip prices and availability. We can provide some of the shortest turnaround time in designs of new miners in the market, whether it is a new or older chip and based on our ability to redesign our current PCB with minimal changes. The Hive remains the same no matter what Wasp slots in and the software doesn't change just new firmware which is ready at production time you won't be waiting for firmware or software.

When will you be ready to mass produce your Hives & Wasps?

We will be testing our designs in the next few weeks. A fully populated prototype Hive hashing with 8 Wasps is probably ready in late December or Early January. We will be showing the community some of our work on the prototype in a video to be released before Christmas. Ideally we would hope to see Wasps and Hives being put through production at volume sometime in January 2014.

What chips will be available?

Your guess is good as ours, but we have put our effort into acquiring the following ASIC chips and are working on Wasps for them: Avalon A3255, BitFury, A1 and Minion chips. If the BitFury, A1 and Minion chips are available in sufficient quantity anyone will be able to build our hardware as it is open source and license it to get its full hashing potential. Some basic numbers for the fully populated Hives we are currently working toward prototypes:

Hive with 8 x 24 Avalon A3255 55nm chips per Wasp would mine at over 230 Gh/s.
Hive with 8 x 24 BitFury 55nm chips  per Wasp would mine at over 440 Gh/s.
Hive with 8 x 6 A1 28nm chips per Wasp would mine at over 1.68 Th/s.
Hive with 8 x 2 Minion 28nm chips per Wasp would mine at over 1.8 Th/s.

Any questions with this revision?

Update:

Membership has increased to 19 lifetime members our goal is to reach 30 before the 15th of December. 35 people are currently lurking and learning about the inter workings of the Wasp & Hive as well as other projects. We have started selling shares internally for the Wasp and Hive project, our Mining Pool, and will open up shares on a short run miner project to get out some hashing units before December.

A lifetime membershipin the Wasp Project Collective is $100 USD paid in BTC or via PayPal in USD. You can still be added to lurk up until the 15th December when we close the project pages to non-members.

Drop me an email or PM if you would like access.

-------------

Teaser:

We are swarming in 30 minutes.

Got questions about the project? Keen on supporting the DIY community? Just want to LURK in a corner?

PM me your email or email me and I can add you to the project and the meeting.

Join the swarm before it is too late!
Pages:
Jump to: