Pages:
Author

Topic: (PETITION) The act of BUYING/SELLING Bitcointalk.org Accounts (Poll) - page 4. (Read 5599 times)

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1257
May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage
Forbidden = newbies tend to trust older accounts whereas they can still be sold
Allowed = newbies trust nobody
The latter is far less dangerous and user-friendly

That won't change, get over it
Activity: 509
Merit: 250
Disrupt the banking system!
I hate to be the one to say this, but vBulletin has a way of detecting multiple accounts, and where they link to.. surprised SMF doesn't have this, or something like this hasn't been coded yet for SMF, especially for a site this size. You know?

Admins don't care about multiple accounts.

I hate to be the one to say this, but it seems like it all starts from here. Which is more or less the root cause of the whole idea behind selling accounts right?
Activity: 476
Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm
Add the ability to mark an account as sold
That way, people willingly selling their accounts can make it clear

What if you need to know that an account has been sold a second time?

What if people lie?
Activity: 658
Merit: 502
Doesn't use these forums that often.
Add the ability to mark an account as sold
That way, people willingly selling their accounts can make it clear
Activity: 194
Merit: 100
I hate to be the one to say this, but vBulletin has a way of detecting multiple accounts, and where they link to.. surprised SMF doesn't have this, or something like this hasn't been coded yet for SMF, especially for a site this size. You know?

Good.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1128

The act of buying and selling domain names should also be disallowed.  It makes it harder for me to trust people.

Stuff that makes it hard for me to trust people should be disallowed.  We should have a trustworthy society.
Activity: 32
Merit: 0
I voted yes. Just because accounts can be sold covertly, doesn't mean that nobody will get caught. It's best to make an example of the minority who overtly trade accounts in order to dissuade others from doing the same. So long as people are aware that accounts are being sold, regardless of the rules, they won't put too much stake in someone's reputation.
In fact, if there's a section in the rules that says it's against the rules to trade accounts, the more logical conclusion is that people have been doing it. If nobody was trading accounts, then there wouldn't be a need for a rule.
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
Try to ban this and price for "good" accounts will just rise , and more people will try creating good accounts , lots of spam....useless enforcing on a community that tries to get out of it
Activity: 112
Honestly it shouldnt be 'banned' however buyers should be looked at to know if they are scammers.
Activity: 490
Merit: 500
Great idea but not sure it can be enforced rigorously

And if we can't enforce it absolutely, best not to initiate measures that perpetuate the myth that we are
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1128
Most of those are hacked accounts that fell for it.
Activity: 84
I get a number of messages always from obvious scams, but from old accounts. They have to be purchased? A lot of the times the message doesn't correlate after looking at their post history.
IMO, account selling is somewhat analogous to selling a business.
Except that there's no way to tell if the transaction of that business happened, or if it's still the same person... It could happen without anyone knowing.

Right, exactly the way selling a business works.

An untrustworthy person can become well trusted for the wrong reason. It just opens up whole new ways to pull of big scams.

Suggestion: don't trust people for wrong reasons.
Activity: 322
Except that there's no way to tell if the transaction of that business happened, or if it's still the same person... It could happen without anyone knowing.
An untrustworthy person can become well trusted for the wrong reason. It just opens up whole new ways to pull of big scams.
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 2156
Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?
I'm curious what Theymos thinks about the idea given the current poll results.

Oddly, I figured a lot more people would be against it. 50% don't care. Even if it was 100% against, still wouldn't change the fact that its an unenforcable rule. Bitcoin users in general tend to have the ability to use Tor or Proxies, or find other little loopholes. Clock enthusiast forums may be able to eliminate account sales, and multi accounts, and such, but BTCTalk users are technical enough to know that its just an inconvience to be IP banned or have individual accounts banned.
I'm curious what Theymos thinks about the idea given the current poll results.
staff
Activity: 3290
Merit: 4114
It's sad that this happens. But, you can't stop it. I would only agree to someone selling accounts if they personally disclosure all the accounts usernames after each sale. That way we know that the account has been sold and we can be suspicious of it. That way the seller may lose a lot of money, but at least we know that he/she is doing something to prevent scamming.

Although, accounts being sold on the forum should never be allowed. It's not something we can stop as previously stated. People would just register from a VPN get what ever rank they want via tor and sell it at a external site or even at this site.

Pages:
Jump to: