Pages:
Author

Topic: (PETITION) The act of BUYING/SELLING Bitcointalk.org Accounts (Poll) - page 5. (Read 5599 times)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100
It can't be stopped, so why not leave it in the open so people know it's happening.
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
An account is a commodity like any other. Why should it be treated differently?
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 2156
Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?
Its not whether its Ok or not, its that the forums staff knows there is absolutely no way they could possibly enforce it. The users of this forum aren't like the users of a Hello Kitty forum. They have a certain degree of technical savvy, and understand how to use Proxies or Tor. The fact that Selling and Buying accounts here is allowed has nothing to do with the admins of the site agreeing with the process, we have just figured out something that strangely quite a few governments haven't figured out yet. You cant make unenforcable laws.
Activity: 509
Merit: 250
Disrupt the banking system!
Yeah.. probably not a good idea for next time. lol
Activity: 1175
Merit: 275
I sold my first account here, got 0.2btc (probably the eqv of 0.005 now!) for it. I wanted the btc at the time and was happy to receive it, but I wish I hadn't as it had my proper internet name. And the guy who bought it, from what I can tell, only used it twice. I'd like it back.
Cool, interesting responses especially with the poll. Although there is no way to detect which accounts are sold directly I do believe much like vBulletin, you can detect fishy account movements and multiple accounts. Basically each account that logs into this site has their information stored on a server sided log. If an admin were to pull up a person who has several accounts linked to their ip, and those accounts actively log in from different locations, you now have a better idea who is selling and where the buyers are. Just my two cents. I know many sites restrict the use of multiple accounts, which is why most of us have many accounts, otherwise we all would be selling bitcointalk accounts.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1257
May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage
Selling accounts will never stop

Now, two possibilities:
- it's forbidden, so people will think that no account has been sold, so they will value the fact of being registered for a long time
- it's allowed, so people will be suspicious of everybody

The better solution is crystal-clear

(that doesn't mean I think that selling accounts is morally ok)
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003
You cannot ban account selling because you cannot know which accounts are being sold.  The only thing this petition would provide is an illusion, which exacerbates the problem, because the public would have no clue that it even occurs.

This website is not in a vacuum; honestly, the Internet's a big place, believe me.
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1038
I can just imagine one of the big ASIC sellers , coming here with their hundreds of purchased accounts and down-voting this Tongue
Hey everyone this is a two part post for META:

This is something I feel needs to be addressed more closely.

*** PART 1 ***
The Poll

This poll is something to get a general feel for how the community feels about account buying and selling on bitcointalk. If you hate the idea of people buying/selling accounts here, please read part 2 below. If you support the idea of buying/selling accounts, please feel free to comment, and vote.

*** PART 2 ***
The Petition

Personally, I think selling accounts for any site is wrong because you don't own the account itself. Bitcointalk owns the account, and by selling accounts you're profiting off their work. It also gives new users a false sense of reputation which exposes members of our community at risk. It also allows companies that are new to the asic market snatch them up and start cross promoting illicitly. Creating multiple accounts en masse artificially raises the community size. Those are just a few reasons of many as to why account selling isn't good. I'm sure we could post more. If you agree with this, please feel free to 'sign' this petition.

*** PART 3 ***
The Updated Poll

So it's been noted that the poll options may need to be a bit clearer. So based on the feedback in this thread, I will restart the poll, however, if you want to see the OLD results, click here Old results were as of 12/30/2013.

The poll has been updated, and vote counter has been zero'd out to maintain fairness of the thread, and to every voter. If you have (or have not) already voted, please cast your vote. Thanks.

Cheers.
Pages:
Jump to: