Pages:
Author

Topic: Please answer 3 technical questions - page 5. (Read 6435 times)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250
January 10, 2015, 05:44:15 PM
Using reason and logic only. Leave the emotion and speculation to the other threads please!!!
Let me match your request with another request: If you want to get useful answers please do some research first. Your questions betray misunderstandings of the most basic bitcoin concepts. When you post you consume other people's time.

1. Assuming silicon ASICs have now approached their limit, how much energy (in Watts) would be required if there were 10bn people on the planet and there was an average of 10 transactions per person, per day?
The energy requirement for processing a transaction are very small and are completely unrelated to mining ASICs. Mining ASICS do not process transactions. They provably expend energy to make reversal of the history of transactions infeasible and for a given security level consume the same amount of energy regardless of the transaction level.

That's all very fine. The "transaction" is useless unless it's confirmed by miners. The energy question (10bn people * 10 transactions per day) still stands.

2. Is there any way to get the transaction time down to below 10 seconds? (i.e. suitable for buying a coffee or paying for my groceries)
You are confusing transaction time and transaction confirmation time. Bitcoin transactions are basically instantaneous (just the time it takes to communicate the data) but it takes time for the transaction to become irreversible. The same is true for other payment mechanisms, e.g. credit card transactions can often be reversed for months, checks take weeks to clear... Making a 1:1 comparison is hard because Bitcoin is used in different ways from traditional payment systems (including anonymously). But it is not the case that the 10 minutes mean time between blocks itself has any fundamental implication for buying coffee.
The consumer and the retailer don't care about the technical nuance you've described (that a transaction is separate to a confirmation).

3. Is centralization of the network inevitable?
Thats up to the users of Bitcoin.
I agree. I guess that would be a bad thing (i.e. potential for abuse), right?
staff
Activity: 4200
Merit: 8441
January 10, 2015, 05:35:58 PM
Using reason and logic only. Leave the emotion and speculation to the other threads please!!!
Let me match your request with another request: If you want to get useful answers please do some research first. Your questions betray misunderstandings of the most basic bitcoin concepts. When you post you consume other people's time.

1. Assuming silicon ASICs have now approached their limit, how much energy (in Watts) would be required if there were 10bn people on the planet and there was an average of 10 transactions per person, per day?
The energy requirement for processing a transaction are very small and are completely unrelated to mining ASICs. Mining ASICS do not process transactions. They provably expend energy to make reversal of the history of transactions infeasible and for a given security level consume the same amount of energy regardless of the transaction level.

2. Is there any way to get the transaction time down to below 10 seconds? (i.e. suitable for buying a coffee or paying for my groceries)
You are confusing transaction time and transaction confirmation time. Bitcoin transactions are basically instantaneous (just the time it takes to communicate the data) but it takes time for the transaction to become irreversible. The same is true for other payment mechanisms, e.g. credit card transactions can often be reversed for months, checks take weeks to clear... Making a 1:1 comparison is hard because Bitcoin is used in different ways from traditional payment systems (including anonymously). But it is not the case that the 10 minutes mean time between blocks itself has any fundamental implication for buying coffee.

Thats up to the users of Bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 2198
Merit: 1049
January 10, 2015, 05:34:10 PM

1. Transaction volume does not have any direct co-relation with energy consumption of ASICs. ASICs find blocks where transactions are added.

2. 10 seconds !!! I think you meant to say 10 minutes. This is in the bitcoin protocol that at every 2016 blocks found, difficulty adjusts itself to average out the transaction confirmation time to 10 minutes. Only a hard fork can change it. But, that is not required in reality. For a coffee or groceries confirmations are not required as double spend will be more costly than the gain attacker will have. But, if you are selling a car or a house, wait for 6 confirmations, i.e. around an hour.

3. Only time can say.
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
January 10, 2015, 05:03:11 PM

Pages:
Jump to: