Pages:
Author

Topic: Please, stop having children. (Discussion about overpopulation) - page 6. (Read 10776 times)

Activity: 222
Merit: 100
In the long run life on Earth isn't sustainable anyway, with humans or not.
Activity: 126
Don't worry, this century we'll reach a point where total human population will start to decrease.
Activity: 47
Merit: 0
I guess you wouldn't be saying "please stop having children" to Satoshi's parents, now would you ?
Of course, I would. Especially considering Satoshi is already born.

If you believe that the planet can't handle more people, do the planet a favour: kill yourself.
That wouldn't be very efficient.
By killing myself right now, it would remove only 1 individual from the Earth population (and I would be quickly replaced by dozens of newborns in the following seconds).
By helping a few people realize that breeding like rabbits isn't sustainable, I might help them to avoid adding several individuals to the world population.

Also, check out what the VHEMT has to say about suicide: http://www.vhemt.org/death.htm#killself
DISCLAIMER: I am not affiliated with the VHEMT, and I don't think we should go as far as letting our species die. I'd rather see Humanity achieve sustainability. Either way, we have to stop increasing our population size.
Activity: 138
The lower the general fertility rate, the longer it'll be before I can live in a city on Mars...boooo!!
Activity: 222
I shouldn't have kids, because people in Africa procreate too fast? Roll Eyes
Activity: 210
As an inhabitant of the Earth, I hereby ask my fellow Humans of the Earth to consider stopping having kids.

I guess you wouldn't be saying "please stop having children" to Satoshi's parents, now would you ?

Low fertility rate is precisely what has led western civilization to its current state of ENOURMOUS unfunded future liabilities (the older folks, who the working class will not be able to fund).

Moderately high fertility leads to technological advancements, sadly for the past few centuries our technological focus has been to maximize profit even at the expense of health and enviroment, i think we are at a point where ppl will have some more respect for enviroment.

I believe people should have more children, not less. If you believe that the planet can't handle more people, do the planet a favour: kill yourself.
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1080
And it's not going to stop (the world population is estimated to reach 9 billion by 2050)

Yes it is, because people DO use contraception.  The current increase is basically only due to demographic inertia.

Population increases not because of to many newborn children, but rather because of not enough old people dying.  Decreasing fertiliy even more would barely solve any problem, and bring others (putting humanity on the brink of extinction)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_decline
Activity: 420
Merit: 250
down with the catholic church! >.>
Activity: 47
Merit: 0
As an inhabitant of the Earth, I hereby ask my fellow Humans of the Earth to consider stopping having kids.

Here's why:

1. The world population keeps growing
1950: 2.5 billion people
2011: 7 billion people
And it's not going to stop (the world population is estimated to reach 9 billion by 2050)

2. We are already too many
A non-negligible portion of the world population lacks access to adequate housing, basic sanitation, or even food and clean water.
How about improving the condition of existing humans, before thinking about creating new ones (who will consume resources)?

Not to mention our impact on the environment (global warming, pollution, extinguished species, shrinking forests...)

Here's a pretty informative image:
http://www.upack.com/images/info/population600.jpg

Now, even if you don't think there are too many of us, you can probably agree that there are enough of us.

3. Having 2 kids is too much right now
In the long term, if every couple has 2 children, there will be no population growth.
However in the short term (next few decades), due to population momentum, and increasing life expectancy, having 2 kids (or even 1) is going to increase the population size.
For example, China has a fertility rate of 1.5, but isn't expected to reach zero population growth before 2030.

Also, remember that raising kids:
- is expensive
- will eat up most of your free time
- will increase your impact on the environment.

So, please:
- use contraception
- if you really want to raise a child, consider adopting one.

See also:
- The Voluntary Human Extinction Movement (very rational).
- The Church of Euthanasia (Sense of humor required)
Pages:
Jump to: