Pages:
Author

Topic: Poll : do you trust an exchange to hold your bitcoins ? - page 2. (Read 9188 times)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500
Some exchanges are verified because of an audit but as you know some of them can close when they want unpredictably.

I don't trust any of these audits. From what I can tell, none of them have been carried out in a manner that proves current possession of assets to cover all liabilities.
The New York regulations are going to try to change this. The goal of the regulations is to get it so exchanges must prove that they have enough bitcoin to cover all of their customers' bitcoin and fiat deposits.
it would be awesome if I didn't have to worry about coinbase failing every time I sell via coinbase.
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
Some exchanges are verified because of an audit but as you know some of them can close when they want unpredictably.

I don't trust any of these audits. From what I can tell, none of them have been carried out in a manner that proves current possession of assets to cover all liabilities.
The New York regulations are going to try to change this. The goal of the regulations is to get it so exchanges must prove that they have enough bitcoin to cover all of their customers' bitcoin and fiat deposits.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
trust? no way. but sometimes there's no way to stay in fiat for a couple days waiting on a down leg.
Activity: 312
Merit: 250
Never. Occasionally I let them hold my funds for a short time, but never for long.
Activity: 167
Old exchange mature quite a bit.

There are consequences for scamming customers.
Activity: 532

The problem is, how can they really prove that they own the passwords to the wallets they supposedly own without divulging those passwords?  I can maybe think of a way or two, but they'd be very complicated and still not completely foolproof.  Or they could show the auditor that they control those wallets, but then how do you fully trust the auditor?  And even if a person/company has a pristine record, that doesn't mean that someday they won't disappear with all the funds.  In the end, I guess you just have to decide to trust someone.  It may be risky, but life is full of risks.  You can only try to minimize them.
Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

legendary
Activity: 1960
Merit: 1130
Truth will out!

Do you remember ShareXcoin or other ones? You can do what you want with your money but IMAO I insist: put your coins on the exchanges just to trade and when you finish, resend to your wallet software.
Activity: 870
Trading will make me rich)
Depends on exchange

For example - I trust 100 times more to bitstamp, then to btc-e

Why is that? BTCE has been around forever, has always been honorable. They have partnered with MT4 trading platform and FXOpen for leveraged trading, setting up PAMM system... they have a long term plan and are churning out fees.

Long term plan is laughable term, when we are speaking about services operating in black or grey areas

I'm sure that they will either be shut down or will disappear with all the money in long term) They are operating without any license or even a company) serving US customers without being registered with FinCEN, working with underground payment systems; accepting wires "for computers" and withdrawing customers funds to debit cards "for advertisement". And no AML program at all.  Grin

Remember liberty reserve and others? The outcome can be easily predicted. The time of such "services" had ended, now you have to play by rules if you want to run payment system, an exchange, payment processor etc. But I believe these guys even don't know the rules)
Activity: 686
Depends on exchange

Why is that? BTCE has been around forever, has always been honorable. They have partnered with MT4 trading platform and FXOpen for leveraged trading, setting up PAMM system... they have a long term plan and are churning out fees.
Activity: 870
Trading will make me rich)
Depends on exchange

Activity: 23
Merit: 0
i only trust exchange to hold my btc if its been around a long time , alot of new exchanges are popping up nd most are probly trying to swindle for your money
Activity: 644
Depending on amount and how old the exchange is.
and if you trade bitcoin a year ago, maybe you goxxed too Sad
based in age of exchange not so good reasons, everything still can happen in the future
legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 4418
Crypto Swap Exchange
Not much about the age of an exchange. Looking at mtgox, even though they were around for many years, they eventually collapsed in the end. An exchange may be old but they are still exposed to the vulnerability which exist in the exchange. A good exchange would be one who does regular checks on security, though you still cannot trust them too much.
Activity: 167
Activity: 210
I would never trust all my coins with any, or even a mixture of exchanges.

Buying and selling locally is better anyway because it makes the local bitcoin ecosystem stronger
legendary
Activity: 1960
Merit: 1130
Truth will out!
You want to lose your coins? Your answer is yes.
You don't want to lose coins? Your answer is no.

Cheesy
Activity: 31
Merit: 0
No, it is a very bad idea to trust your money to an exchange. You are just asking to get scammed.

Agree, why we trust exchange they can run our money anytime if they want, I just use exchange when need to sell some Bitcoins.
Activity: 252
Merit: 251
Knowledge its everything
I think trust my bitcoin on HUGE exchanger like BTC-E, Bitfenix, Bitstamp
BUt i just put them BTC to sell
not to put them permanently

I don't trust exchanges anymore.

If there was no exchanger, BTC won't success. and altcoin never born
Activity: 191
No, it is a very bad idea to trust your money to an exchange. You are just asking to get scammed.
Pages:
Jump to: