Pages:
Author

Topic: Poll : do you trust an exchange to hold your bitcoins ? - page 4. (Read 9188 times)

Activity: 154
Merit: 100
Is there life on Mars?
trust? no way. but sometimes there's no way to stay in fiat for a couple days waiting on a down leg.

same. on longer swings down, i wire out fiat, but on short moves, nothing else to be done.
Activity: 644
Merit: 500
No way i put my coins in exchange more than 12 hours
i'll withdraw it when i'm done trading
too many scam exchange, especially in altcoin trading Sad
Activity: 882
Merit: 1000
Nope, as the old saying goes, if you don't have the private keys, you don't have your bitcoin. Smiley
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
What I personally do : I own about 30 btc, and I let them sit on Kraken.
I keep them there for several reasons :

- I dont trust myself to keep a paper wallet safe for a long time.
- I mostly trust Kraken, in particular because they have automated audits.
- I want to be ready to sell quickly in case of a huge crash.

Just wow... you are gonna get a BIG lesson in counter-party risk someday.
It would probably be a better idea to have 12 BTC at an exchange that allows 2.5x leverage and simply sell bitcoin short in the event that you wish to sell all of your bitcoin. You could keep the rest in a blockchain wallet for example.

Another option would be to use the second market bitcoin fund. You would need to pay some fees but the counterparty risk would be much less.
legendary
Activity: 1588
What I personally do : I own about 30 btc, and I let them sit on Kraken.
I keep them there for several reasons :

- I dont trust myself to keep a paper wallet safe for a long time.
- I mostly trust Kraken, in particular because they have automated audits.
- I want to be ready to sell quickly in case of a huge crash.

Just wow... you are gonna get a BIG lesson in counter-party risk someday.
Activity: 724
I would not hold more than 10 BTC on ANY exchange.
Activity: 532
I don't usually trust anyone, same goes with exchanges  but I do keep some altcoins on them, why? Because I can't download all of their wallets and install them on my pc, so its a safety precaution, and I keep them their until I can get some profits outta them and then I sell and move on to next one or turn to btc and withdraw.

Totally agree on the altcoin wallets. I don't trust a lot of the developers or the software. Lots of BTC wallet draining malware out there. It's too bad, because the best way to get in on an alt pump is to buy before it hits an exchange. Undecided

It would require extra effort, but if you keep your altcoin wallets completely separate from your BTC wallet, you should be ok.  Ideally, it would be best to use two different computers, or at least two separate OS installations on the same machine.  But at the very least, if you keep your BTC in cold storage and make sure you don't have malware when you access it, you should be pretty safe.
Activity: 12
Merit: 0
Do I trust them? No, why would I?

Do I do it? Yes, I'm an idiot Tongue

Lo, I am the same way bro
Activity: 434
freecrypto.top
Its very hard to trust an exchange. Sometimes its a a necessary evil as others have said when you have to trade.

I've had a few coins lost on those bad apple exchanges. Not a great feeling.
Activity: 686
Trust an exchange? Never. I learned early on with BTC that third parties are a no-no if you want to keep your money safe. So, unfortunately, while I trade, my money is not safe. But I know that, and the risk-reward is worth it for me.
I don't usually trust anyone, same goes with exchanges  but I do keep some altcoins on them, why? Because I can't download all of their wallets and install them on my pc, so its a safety precaution, and I keep them their until I can get some profits outta them and then I sell and move on to next one or turn to btc and withdraw.

Totally agree on the altcoin wallets. I don't trust a lot of the developers or the software. Lots of BTC wallet draining malware out there. It's too bad, because the best way to get in on an alt pump is to buy before it hits an exchange. Undecided
This is another example as why it is not good to try to invest in altcoins. You must trade your computer's security for the security of your funds.
legendary
Activity: 910
★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice
To answer OP.

Nope.

After seeing god knows how many exchanges get "hacked" or hacked, or close down... why would any body trust them is the real question....
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1132
Whichever exchange service. If the Exchange with a worldwide reputation is one thing and another private owner.
Activity: 624

Activity: 812
Depends on an exchanger. Maybe its good to keep btc at different exchanges at the same time.

Definitely. I never keep all my eggs in one basket. For the coins I keep out of cold storage, I spread them out between BTCE, Bitfinex, and Bitstamp. I don't feel great about any of them, but there's no other way to trade. Smiley
Wouldn't it just be better to keep your coins in your own "hot wallet" that you control and only keep coins at an exchange when you wish to sell for fiat?

sure, that works for swing traders. i keep some coins/fiat on the exchanges for day trading, though. if you're going to be making multiple trades in a day, or over the course of a couple days, it makes sense to keep coins on the exchanges.
If you are going to be trading in and out of positions often then you really have no way around having coins at an exchange. In this case you should only keep what you plan on risking for trading purposes and when you decide that you no longer want to use a certain amount of bitcoin for trading risk you should withdraw from the exchnge
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
never.

but when i do, it's btc-e. Cool
Activity: 504
trust an exchange? ermm, heard of mtgox?

i don't trust em, but i use em, sparingly...
Activity: 658
Depends on an exchanger. Maybe its good to keep btc at different exchanges at the same time.

Definitely. I never keep all my eggs in one basket. For the coins I keep out of cold storage, I spread them out between BTCE, Bitfinex, and Bitstamp. I don't feel great about any of them, but there's no other way to trade. Smiley
Wouldn't it just be better to keep your coins in your own "hot wallet" that you control and only keep coins at an exchange when you wish to sell for fiat?

sure, that works for swing traders. i keep some coins/fiat on the exchanges for day trading, though. if you're going to be making multiple trades in a day, or over the course of a couple days, it makes sense to keep coins on the exchanges.
Activity: 658
Buy and sell bitcoins,

Sure, but there are drawbacks to that. For one thing, personally, I play volatility spikes. I want my orders on the book to scalp those overbought moves and quickly rebuy. Vice versa. And in general, waiting for 3-6 confirmations during volatile times can be very frustrating. Beyond that, when hedging by holding fiat, there is nowhere to hold it but an exchange (unless you want to remove it from the BTC economy for an extended period of time -- again, missing out on big moves).

And hot wallets carry their own risks as well. If your coins are not cold, consider them vulnerable.
Pages:
Jump to: