Pages:
Author

Topic: POLL: Which coin should BTC-E add next? - page 5. (Read 19918 times)

legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001
December 12, 2013, 06:06:49 AM
QRK will likely fail in a matter of 6 months or less is what I took from this forum, so technically it's not a scam.

http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/comments/1saq3g/i_have_decided_quark_is_not_a_scam_the_bitcoin/cdvrf1f

[–]Koooooj 1 point 4 hours ago

I personally seek to point out the flaws in any Altcoin, especially if it starts to gain a lot of attention. In the case of many of the altcoins there aren't a lot of negatives or a lot of positives, simply because they've just taken Bitcoin and copy/pasted the whole source code with some cosmetic difference. This isn't a scam or a particularly shady practice, but it also isn't a way to make a valuable coin--if there's nothing better about a new altcoin then there's no reason to use it over Bitcoin (or whichever altcoin is being copied). It is for that reason that I think 95% of altcoins are junk--they're an attempt for the developers and early miners to make a quick buck based on zero innovation. These new altcoins are a dime a dozen and aren't worth wasting breath (or keystrokes, as the case may be).

Some coins do make substantial changes, though--they seek to either address fundamental issues with Bitcoin or they challenge some core philosophy of the Bitcoin network. For example, take Peercoin--they noted that mining by proof-of-work is a process that uses huge quantities of resources so they introduced proof-of-stake. This challenges the very core of Bitcoin's design so it's a currency worth investigating; it's worth finding the flaws in such a system and pointing them out.

To me Quarkcoin is a coin that isn't just a copy/paste of Bitcoin, even though it's pretty much a parameter change and mining algorithm swap. I feel this way because the parameters are changed to extremes--taking the block reward halving and changing it from 4 years to 3 weeks is pretty major and is more than a tweak--it's a fundamentally different philosophy. In Bitcoin the reward halving was made to be slow and was included, in my opinion, as a way to make the currency supply limited. In Quark it serves as a way to issue all of the currency in a short period of time, such that there is not a substantial incentive for "mining cartels" to form (aside: I don't believe mining cartels exist in Bitcoin, but I accept that there is room for different philosophies and altcoins that support those philosophies).

This design decision has its advantages, perhaps, but it has a fatal flaw: miners can only be expected to expend as much to mine as they are compensated in mining rewards. If the mining reward halves and the price does not rise (or has only lethargic growth) then miners should be expected to leave the network. This would be no problem if the only purpose that miners serve is to issue new currency, but that isn't even their primary purpose--the miners exist to protect the network from a 50% attack. Every 3 weeks Quark should expect half of the miners to leave the network unless those miners start being paid better--either with a higher mining reward (which I doubt would ever be considered--it's contrary to the philosophy on which Quarkcoin was founded) or by transaction fees (which I also doubt--it's the tragedy of the commons: the coin can survive if everyone includes substantial mining fees, but to the individual the better move is to not include a substantial fee since everyone else is).

The current mining reward is 16 QRK/block. In a few months that value will drop to its final value of 1 QRK per block. If the price remains static then that meant the network is paying miners collectively only 6.25% of what they are being paid now. That means that if anyone has 3.125% of the present network then they could reasonably expect to be holding enough computing power to 51% attack the Quark network in about 3 months. The top user at coinmine.pl currently has about 4.47% of the network, and just a few days ago I recall seeing several users with about 3 times that speed (they have dropped out since then, it would appear, since the reward halved).

I am against Quark and I will speak out about it, not because I am jealous of the Quark users nor because I see it as a viable threat that could push out another cryptocurrency. I speak out against Quark because it is structured in a way that is going to make it fail--and it's going to fail soon (i.e. within 6 months, probably sooner). I speak out against Quark because when that happens it will be a lot of bad press for cryptocurrencies in general. I speak out against Quark because I feel that it is a tool that Bill Still and others are using in order to manipulate people for their own profit, and I want to give those people an opportunity to hear a rational and thought-out reasoning for why I believe that. I will not scream "SCAM." I will not yell "PREMINE." But I will criticize and encourage free discussion with an open mind. I think everyone involved in Quark is either being manipulated or is the manipulator pulling the strings to drive an unviable currency to unjustified heights. I would ask anyone here who is invested in Quark to ask himself which one of those they are.
Activity: 420
Merit: 250
Bayern
December 12, 2013, 05:46:23 AM
Digitalcoin is doing exactly the same thing as Worldcoin + they have a great developer

Robert, DGC doesn't just do the same thing, it is actually much better:

DGC has much fewer orphans than WDC
DGC was not instamined nor pre-mined
"Digital" is an international word - "world" is world in English only

How can you claim to have a "world"coin, when you can't even make the name sound more international?
The world consists of a few more than just English speaking countries. The name doesn't reflect that.

Furthermore, worldcoin sounds like a coin for old people, it doesn't sound cool (imo).

WDC instamine --> https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.2835275

MEC 6 million coins premine --> http://cryptolife.net/in-depth-altcoin-analysis-megacoin/

QRK --> pure instamine scam

SBC --> WTF?

Yet everyone, good luck with your choice!

Quark isnt a scam lol

Digitalcoin is solid i agree
legendary
December 12, 2013, 01:34:10 AM
I really like megacoin as the site is very professionally made and I think the name has a lot of value. Smiley

Not everything that shines is gold. And "Mega" holds mega-potential as a name, seriously? ;-)
Activity: 294
December 12, 2013, 01:33:19 AM
I really like megacoin as the site is very professionally made and I think the name has a lot of value. Smiley
legendary
December 12, 2013, 01:21:07 AM
Digitalcoin is doing exactly the same thing as Worldcoin + they have a great developer

Robert, DGC doesn't just do the same thing, it is actually much better:

DGC has much fewer orphans than WDC
DGC was not instamined nor pre-mined
"Digital" is an international word - "world" is world in English only

How can you claim to have a "world"coin, when you can't even make the name sound more international?
The world consists of a few more than just English speaking countries. The name doesn't reflect that.

Furthermore, worldcoin sounds like a coin for old people, it doesn't sound cool (imo).

WDC instamine --> https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.2835275

MEC 6 million coins premine --> http://cryptolife.net/in-depth-altcoin-analysis-megacoin/

QRK --> pure instamine scam

SBC --> WTF?

Yet everyone, good luck with your choice!
Activity: 546
Merit: 500
hm
December 11, 2013, 05:19:08 PM
this is a very biased list, how does SBC and Megacoin make the list? make me laugh.

if you want to do a survey seriously, pick the coins according to their market caps.

Megacoin has 20Mio. market cap. Stablecoin has >2Mio. Primecoin, Terracoin and others had less than 2mio.m when they were added to btc-e.

that coin i have you want to see rising and therefore on that exchange. Except of DGC I have a decent amount of all of them. So I vote for all 4 of them Smiley
Activity: 588
December 11, 2013, 12:41:44 AM
this is a very biased list, how does SBC and Megacoin make the list? make me laugh.

if you want to do a survey seriously, pick the coins according to their market caps.
legendary
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
ADT developer
December 11, 2013, 12:12:16 AM
SXC should be on btc-e if the current price rise and buy support stays Smiley
Activity: 420
Bayern
December 11, 2013, 12:05:04 AM
Activity: 336
December 10, 2013, 07:18:55 PM
My vote goes to Worldcoin.

Worldcoin was fighting for a top 10 spot on Coinmarketcap.com a month ago when nobody even knew what a QRK was.

They have a strong development team that has been working on projects like Scharmbeck which will provide a legal US based service to exchange USD/WDC thus cutting BTC out of the equation and allowing easier entry for newbs and merchants.

Activity: 224
Merit: 100
DigiByte Founder
December 10, 2013, 07:09:12 PM
Also please provide a reason for your vote.

I chose Quark because it received the most votes on the other poll which to me indicates there is much interest in the community for it right now.

You chose QRK because you are a sock puppet. Let's be honest.
Yep, you got me, just like Kermit the frog.
Activity: 126
Girls dont crypto?
December 10, 2013, 07:06:38 PM
Also please provide a reason for your vote.

I chose Quark because it received the most votes on the other poll which to me indicates there is much interest in the community for it right now.

You chose QRK because you are a sock puppet. Let's be honest.
legendary
December 10, 2013, 04:49:34 AM
Mining will become a thing of the past? Lmfao. Go, buy some fiat. And it's done.
legendary
Activity: 1775
Merit: 1032
Value will be measured in sats
December 10, 2013, 04:43:10 AM
I asked the btc-e helpdesk if there was a plan to add wdc, this is the response i got:

No plan at this time.

Hello.

Ticket Details
Ticket ID: YLE-755-352###
Department: Trading
Type: Issue
Priority: Critical

Helpdesk: https://hdbtce.kayako.com
Activity: 364
December 09, 2013, 07:32:05 AM

MINING means nothing with regard distribution, how many people in the population even mine? QRK is now far more widely distributed than the coins you mention. It was for sale for nothing for months on end.  The instaminers gave it all away for nothing hence why it was on sale for 37-200 range forever. You missed out buying cheaply but there will be other chances.

The instaminers sold it for not much more than the cost of electricity.

Many people mistake mining and fair distribution as the same thing, they are wrong. It is much more fair that everyone has a chance to buy it the market rate that those with big mining farms and low ping to take all of the coins.

Mining will fast become a thing of the past. New models of distribution will arise, the old POW model will soon be gone.

The QRK phenomenon will maybe never happen again, it was a one off.  Never will coin of that limited supply, and yes 280 million is nothing still, there are already coins with 100's of billions out and their price now is more than quark was for months on end.  Everyone had a chance to buy in low. It is still low compared to what could come next. The coins design is also excellent those saying multi algo means nothing are talking rubbish.

QRK was unknown, now everyone talks about it, you can't hope for it to become unknown again. You can't even put a buy order in for QRK on cryptsy as soon as qrk hits an exchange that can handle the volume that will be very good for the coin.

+1 This.

Very well said.
Activity: 322
December 09, 2013, 05:59:54 AM
dogecoin > all
very much currency
Activity: 504
December 09, 2013, 05:51:29 AM
Dogecoin!
copper member
Activity: 1380
Merit: 504
THINK IT, BUILD IT, PLAY IT! --- XAYA
December 09, 2013, 05:46:29 AM
All 5 coins are useless. Btc-e won't add any of them.

+1 There are better out there.
legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 1070
December 09, 2013, 05:42:58 AM
it is, in disguise

dgc = dogecoin
Activity: 532
bearded, drunk, fat, naked
December 09, 2013, 05:35:04 AM
how the fuck is dogecoin not in the poll? i can't believe what this place has come to. this is an outrage.
Pages:
Jump to: