Author

Topic: [POOL][Scrypt][Scrypt-N][X11] Profit switching pool - wafflepool.com - page 122. (Read 465668 times)

Activity: 368
Merit: 250
Just so we can all get a feel for what is currently going on with regards to the miner hijacking / hashpower theft attack that started sometime during the early weekend (the event that occurred prior to the pool server ddos attack), has anyone noticed any of their miners connecting to an unknown rogue server after Monday at 12PM noon GMT (8am eastern US, 5am pacific US)?  This is approximately the last 26.5 hours from the time of this posting.  Or has that original attack at least subsided for now?

Please note that you do not have to post to say no.  Just post if you have recently been affected.  Thank you!

I can only say I implemented strict filters on my rigs - and mining became much more steady, no strange rejects, no sudden idle times. And I mine on many pools.

On 30+ rigs I found strange connects on only one rig - but I am certain, stealing was in progress for a least 14 days or so.

My opinion is that these attacks are still in progress - but many miners are simply not aware of the hijacking dangers.

It seems also, whoever steals hash cycles, that he/she is not stealing a total hash power, but perhaps 10 percents here and 10 percents there. This way - everyone is looking for some server and network issues - but in fact a lot of problems is still caused by hijacking.

I am confused as to how this could happen?  How could my mining be hijacked?  On my end?  From mining sfw (i.e.; cgminer) I poll the mining pool host by dns name (which is not going to be hacked by my isp)?  So, that would leave someone doing something on the pool hosting server to hijack my work?  Sorry, little confused how this could happen.  Can you explain your thoughts further?

Thx
Activity: 101
Merit: 10
How do I verify what IP addresses my pools are connected to in cgminer,  and then how do I know that those are the correct ones?

easiest way is to look at frontpage of pool and see if your hashrate seems correct .

add 2>logfile.txt to your cgminer startup batchfile...and you can check for redirects ...

Did this,  but the logfile.txt does not list any i.p. addresses for any of the pools that I am connected to. 
It basically just copies what scrolls onto the cgminer display screen.

So how do I verify what IP address I am supposed to be connected with,  and what IP address that I actually am connected with,  for each pool?   I'm using cgminer 3.4.3 .

I also added "no-client-reconnect" : true   to my config in hopes of preventing future hijacking.  Does anyone know if that will actually do any good?
Activity: 93
Just so we can all get a feel for what is currently going on with regards to the miner hijacking / hashpower theft attack that started sometime during the early weekend (the event that occurred prior to the pool server ddos attack), has anyone noticed any of their miners connecting to an unknown rogue server after Monday at 12PM noon GMT (8am eastern US, 5am pacific US)?  This is approximately the last 26.5 hours from the time of this posting.  Or has that original attack at least subsided for now?

Please note that you do not have to post to say no.  Just post if you have recently been affected.  Thank you!

I can only say I implemented strict filters on my rigs - and mining became much more steady, no strange rejects, no sudden idle times. And I mine on many pools.

On 30+ rigs I found strange connects on only one rig - but I am certain, stealing was in progress for a least 14 days or so.

My opinion is that these attacks are still in progress - but many miners are simply not aware of the hijacking dangers.

It seems also, whoever steals hash cycles, that he/she is not stealing a total hash power, but perhaps 10 percents here and 10 percents there. This way - everyone is looking for some server and network issues - but in fact a lot of problems is still caused by hijacking.
Believe me, I am a fan, and appreciate the waffle open community feeling…I don't have the time to hit the digital pavement and crawl for profit. lol  I want it to work!

Think we just need the whole coin industry to surge, where many coins will be generating profits…which I believe will happen in due time.

Nice to hear it could be as a result of the rough DOS period :-)

Thanks!
Activity: 322
Merit: 254
something wrong with pool. i see ~33% rejected share

More info would be appreciated.  Very hard to look into with what you have there...

What's up with the waffle profit numbers?  The most recent 24 hours about 50% off of what clever mining is producing?  From what I read the denial of service attack had subsided awhile ago, and the profit number climbed to over 0.04 per Mh/s per day, and now has gone back down?

currently:

0.0377 BTC per Mh/s per day - http://wafflepool.com/stats

0.0531 BTC per MH/s per day - http://clevermining.com

That's well below just mining for litecoin?!  It sure looks like the multi pool system is flawed. 

According to the difficulty charts, mining litecoin right now at 1 Mh/s will yield you 0.00487 BTC per day…and that is due to go up in approx. 20 hours, as the litecoin difficulty is set to drop by 7.3% (https://bitcoinwisdom.com/litecoin/difficulty

It depends on the mining power pointed at litecoin over this time period - considering that the big 5 multi pool sites can represent about a third of the current litecoin hashing power (about 50 GH/s of 150 GH/s).  If they can lay off litecoin, it would set that rate even lower, which would be used for the subsequent 2K of blocks (about 4 days).  A quick calc has the litecoin payment around 0.00524 BTC per Mh/s per day, at the current prediction, starting in 20 hours…and I bet it could climb higher if they collectively laid of litecoin for half a day.  lol

But what does this say for multi pooling?  It sucks?  ;-)

Its either that, or that our stats account for about 12hrs of being DDOS'd, either one Smiley
What's up with the waffle profit numbers?  The most recent 24 hours about 50% off of what clever mining is producing?  From what I read the denial of service attack had subsided awhile ago, and the profit number climbed to over 0.04 per Mh/s per day, and now has gone back down?

currently:

That's well below just mining for litecoin?!  It sure looks like the multi pool system is flawed.  

According to the difficulty charts, mining litecoin right now at 1 Mh/s will yield you 0.00487 BTC per day…and that is due to go up in approx. 20 hours, as the litecoin difficulty is set to drop by 7.3% (https://bitcoinwisdom.com/litecoin/difficulty

It depends on the mining power pointed at litecoin over this time period - considering that the big 5 multi pool sites can represent about a third of the current litecoin hashing power (about 50 GH/s of 150 GH/s).  If they can lay off litecoin, it would set that rate even lower, which would be used for the subsequent 2K of blocks (about 4 days).  A quick calc has the litecoin payment around 0.00524 BTC per Mh/s per day, at the current prediction, starting in 20 hours…and I bet it could climb higher if they collectively laid of litecoin for half a day.  lol

But what does this say for multi pooling?  It sucks?  ;-)

Activity: 58
Merit: 0
something wrong with pool. i see ~33% rejected share

currently:

Activity: 21
See i would think that if i am mining with a specific pool such as wafflepool, i would want my fellow miners to help me with my config files after all as RedGreen would say "were all in this boat together"  so it makes sense to me that this particular page is where i would go for support help, after all i would think, all other miners at wafflepool would want all others running as efficiently as possible thus maximizing profits.

You would think so, yet you would be wrong. People follow this forum to read about wafflepool-specific things that may affect their mining, going off-topic (even if it is still mining related) adds a lot of noise and effort * for everybody else * to keep up with what's going on with the pool.

So in a way, going off-topic (and keeping at it) leaves a rather selfish impression about yourself.

The comparison to entering a chemistry class and expect everyone to listen to your Q's about Med. lit. and like it, is pretty accurate.

Just take the hint and head to the right forum, please.

and yet here you are adding to the off topic discussion as has been explained to the the forum here that this is an off topic discussion...part of the problem not the solution

Also there are no forum rules posted on page 1 regarding wafflepool specific comments only.  

I still maintain that improving my miner improves the overall pools capability. thus makes it a waffle pool specific question

oh one more thing,

as was stated about 2 pages back....just hit ignore under the name if you dont like it.
Activity: 700
Merit: 500
Any chance to see all the MintCoin pilled for weeks finaly exchanged?
The coins are stuck at coinmarket.io.  They might be lost entirely, but after coinmarket was hacked, the admins continue to claim they are working to fix 'stuck' withdrawals, and that they still have the coins.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.5764017

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.5871842

They are now saying they will send them tonight... so let's see what happens.
Activity: 84
See i would think that if i am mining with a specific pool such as wafflepool, i would want my fellow miners to help me with my config files after all as RedGreen would say "were all in this boat together"  so it makes sense to me that this particular page is where i would go for support help, after all i would think, all other miners at wafflepool would want all others running as efficiently as possible thus maximizing profits.

You would think so, yet you would be wrong. People follow this forum to read about wafflepool-specific things that may affect their mining, going off-topic (even if it is still mining related) adds a lot of noise and effort * for everybody else * to keep up with what's going on with the pool.

So in a way, going off-topic (and keeping at it) leaves a rather selfish impression about yourself.

The comparison to entering a chemistry class and expect everyone to listen to your Q's about Med. lit. and like it, is pretty accurate.

Just take the hint and head to the right forum, please.
Activity: 23
Any chance to see all the MintCoin pilled for weeks finaly exchanged?
Activity: 86

Recent Shifts
  ID        Ended                          Shares (yours / total)  Blocks Found
15855    OPEN                            4608 / 23064064     0
15854    2014-03-25 19:34:17    11776 / 50250240    0
15853    2014-03-25 19:27:12    14336 / 50664448    0
15852    2014-03-25 19:20:07    10752 / 50412032    0
15851    2014-03-25 19:12:57    14848 / 50208256    0
15850    2014-03-25 19:06:01    15360 / 53169152    0
15849    2014-03-25 18:58:32    11264 / 50439168    0
15848    2014-03-25 18:51:27    8704 / 50469376    0
15847    2014-03-25 18:44:22    8704 / 50545152    0

Streak of bad luck it appears.

Activity: 182
Merit: 100
I love waffle pool but I don't have the time and patience to set up all kinds of failovers and constantly check on my stuff, and lately it's just too often that I check on my rigs (the ones pointed to waffle) and find I've lost a few hours worth of work for one reason or another. I'm switching pools for now, sorry, I will keep an eye on this thread and give it a shot again if things smooth out a bit.
Activity: 700
For now the pool has lost another's hashrate ... Like I said bye.
Good riddance. Please don't post here again.  Bye!

I mean damn... learn how to use a forum - double posts are stupid, but triple posts are downright ignorant.  There is an EDIT function you know.

--

And while we are talking about forum etiquite... damn, please everyone, you don't have to quote a whole page.  Snip quotes to the part you are responding to.

Ahhh
Activity: 630
I have not completely given up on waffle, still in my fail-over.  Some of the hostility and so called etiquite (spelling?) and arguing over stupid shit is not conducive to wanting to be here.  Who is the most brilliant mathematician or other shit like that does not belong here.  Help and support of the pool DOES.  Granted the pool has been suffering from numerous attacks I may still return to mining here Smiley
For now the pool has lost another's hashrate ... Like I said bye.

One of my other pools must be having problems, failing over to waffle some hashrate still showing ...
Activity: 21

Helping newbies is one thing... helping newbies in the proper forum thread is another.

You're putting up general miner settings and asking advice... you can open another thread for that in the Hardware or the Altcoin subforums.  You'll get plenty of helpful advice that way.

Putting it in here on a specific pool's support thread is typically called "hijacking" a thread and is usually frowned upon.  You'll get less help and some angry people that way.

It's like going to a random classroom at a University and loudly yelling in the middle of a Chemistry Class for some help with your Medieval Literature homework.  There's a time and a place for everything.

See i would think that if i am mining with a specific pool such as wafflepool, i would want my fellow miners to help me with my config files after all as RedGreen would say "were all in this boat together"  so it makes sense to me that this particular page is where i would go for support help, after all i would think all other miners at wafflepool would want all others running as efficiently as possible thus maximizing profits.

Not pool specific really in these cases...

If it was "oh this intensity works better in this pool than another pool" then yes, it would be apropos.  But having general cgminer fork configuration settings is a bit more general and not necessarily appropriate for a thread such as this.  Either way, it's a subtle break of thread etiquette that will (and has) resulted in some of the more experienced forum people to "not be friendly".  Making your own thread instead of using someone else's accomplishes the same thing without making people angry for violating ettiquette.

So please take my comments as just some friendly advice on how to get better answers to your questions.

And everyone is different - I only read the few threads in my watchlist, and rarely look for new threads, so if someone needs help mining on a pool I'm on, I don't mind answering in-thread.  Granted, I really wish people would like to learn the how's and why's of configuring a miner, but sometimes I'm in a nice mood Smiley

my original post on here was asking if there were some deeper explanations of the different settings in the config file, and utahjohn and thirtybird(i believe) pointed me in the right direction. not taking offense to anyone and not trying to sound like a D, just was appreciative of utahjohn pointing me in the correct direction, i will pm him my config and maybe something will work for him.

Again thanks for the help, i am looking forward to continuously mining
Activity: 693

Helping newbies is one thing... helping newbies in the proper forum thread is another.

You're putting up general miner settings and asking advice... you can open another thread for that in the Hardware or the Altcoin subforums.  You'll get plenty of helpful advice that way.

Putting it in here on a specific pool's support thread is typically called "hijacking" a thread and is usually frowned upon.  You'll get less help and some angry people that way.

It's like going to a random classroom at a University and loudly yelling in the middle of a Chemistry Class for some help with your Medieval Literature homework.  There's a time and a place for everything.

See i would think that if i am mining with a specific pool such as wafflepool, i would want my fellow miners to help me with my config files after all as RedGreen would say "were all in this boat together"  so it makes sense to me that this particular page is where i would go for support help, after all i would think all other miners at wafflepool would want all others running as efficiently as possible thus maximizing profits.

If it was "oh this intensity works better in this pool than another pool" then yes, it would be apropos.  But having general cgminer fork configuration settings is a bit more general and not necessarily appropriate for a thread such as this.  Either way, it's a subtle break of thread etiquette that will (and has) resulted in some of the more experienced forum people to "not be friendly".  Making your own thread instead of using someone else's accomplishes the same thing without making people angry for violating ettiquette.

So please take my comments as just some friendly advice on how to get better answers to your questions.

And everyone is different - I only read the few threads in my watchlist, and rarely look for new threads, so if someone needs help mining on a pool I'm on, I don't mind answering in-thread.  Granted, I really wish people would like to learn the how's and why's of configuring a miner, but sometimes I'm in a nice mood Smiley
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Activity: 630
See i would think that if i am mining with a specific pool such as wafflepool, i would want my fellow miners to help me with my config files after all as RedGreen would say "were all in this boat together"  so it makes since to me that this particular page is where i would go for support help, after all i would think, all other miners at wafflepool would want all others running as efficiently as possible thus maximizing profits.

+1
Jump to: