Author

Topic: [POOL][Scrypt][Scrypt-N][X11] Profit switching pool - wafflepool.com - page 151. (Read 465668 times)

Activity: 693
Merit: 500
i can see what you are saying,  so as ltc was the asnwer to BTC becoming too high in difficulty due to ASICS we gotta wait and see what the answer to LTC is against the coming ASICS., if there is a such a coin that stands a chance and pools can adapt to it that would be the new standard...

An easy way of making ASICs unprofitable is to design algorithms that require large memory buffers and that have performance bound by memory bandwidth rather than arithmetic.  ASICs provide the greatest benefits for algorithms that are arithmetic-bound, and they provide the least benefits for algorithms that are bound by memory bandwidth.  By combining a large size memory buffer with random access patterns, we would get a level playing field that evolves very slowly.  GPUs of today have 200-300GB/s memory bandwidth which has only increased by a small margin generation-to-generation.  GPUs are expected to get a nice jump in bandwidth when memory technologies like die-stacked memory show up in a few years, but after that bandwidth growth will be very very slow again.  A large part of the complexity and cost in a GPU is the memory system, and this is something that is only feasible to build because millions of GPUs are sold per week.  By developing an algorithm that requires a hardware capability that is only cost-feasible in commodity devices that are manufactured in quantities of several million or more, it would push ASICs completely out, and keep them for a very long time, perhaps indefinitely.  It's one thing to fab an ASIC chip, it's another thing to couple it to a high-capacity high-bandwidth memory system.  If you design an algorithm that uses the "memory wall" as a fundamental feature, it will make ASICs no better than any other hardware approach.

Great Post and so true...

If they want a leveled plane of mining, that should be the way...

Best Regards,

LPC

Ya, so there's already coins that do this.  YACoin was the first, and currently takes 4 MB per thread to complete a calculation.  That will be 8 MB on May 31st.  All the other scrypt-chacha coins will get there eventually, but YAC is the trailblazer Cheesy
Activity: 2
Merit: 0
After over 24 hours mining on the new stratum server, I have <1% rejects down from 6%, but my average hashrate has dropped 17%! I went from an average of 6MH/s before, to 5MH/s over the last 30 hours. At first I thought it was just variance, but it seems to be consistently staying lower. No config has changed on my end. Any clues what could cause such a dramatic change/loss in hashrate?

I noticed something similar as well.

I lost close to 10% of my reported hashrate according to wafflestats. I went from 10.2 MH/s over the last few weeks down to 9.25 MH/s since the update.

Quite concerning.
Activity: 129
Merit: 100
i can see what you are saying,  so as ltc was the asnwer to BTC becoming too high in difficulty due to ASICS we gotta wait and see what the answer to LTC is against the coming ASICS., if there is a such a coin that stands a chance and pools can adapt to it that would be the new standard...

An easy way of making ASICs unprofitable is to design algorithms that require large memory buffers and that have performance bound by memory bandwidth rather than arithmetic.  ASICs provide the greatest benefits for algorithms that are arithmetic-bound, and they provide the least benefits for algorithms that are bound by memory bandwidth.  By combining a large size memory buffer with random access patterns, we would get a level playing field that evolves very slowly.  GPUs of today have 200-300GB/s memory bandwidth which has only increased by a small margin generation-to-generation.  GPUs are expected to get a nice jump in bandwidth when memory technologies like die-stacked memory show up in a few years, but after that bandwidth growth will be very very slow again.  A large part of the complexity and cost in a GPU is the memory system, and this is something that is only feasible to build because millions of GPUs are sold per week.  By developing an algorithm that requires a hardware capability that is only cost-feasible in commodity devices that are manufactured in quantities of several million or more, it would push ASICs completely out, and keep them for a very long time, perhaps indefinitely.  It's one thing to fab an ASIC chip, it's another thing to couple it to a high-capacity high-bandwidth memory system.  If you design an algorithm that uses the "memory wall" as a fundamental feature, it will make ASICs no better than any other hardware approach.

Great Post and so true...

If they want a leveled plane of mining, that should be the way...

Best Regards,

LPC
Activity: 41
After over 24 hours mining on the new stratum server, I have <1% rejects down from 6%, but my average hashrate has dropped 17%! I went from an average of 6MH/s before, to 5MH/s over the last 30 hours. At first I thought it was just variance, but it seems to be consistently staying lower. No config has changed on my end. Any clues what could cause such a dramatic change/loss in hashrate?
Activity: 9
Random thought:  More than once it has crossed my mind that 'sfire' is Sapphire.  Crazy or plausible?  Discuss.
Activity: 155
Well, mining about 2 hours and Reject ratio: 0.0% Great job !
Activity: 196
Must have been an sweet update or are we just lucky.
It looks good on Poolpicker.eu today.  Grin

I thought it was the update at first and was thinking pw found the hidden treasure! was over 0.0085 at one point, turns out it was 98% luck 2% update.
so where are you going to move in 7 hours?
nowhere! ill be sleeping in 20 minutes.
Activity: 28

Activity: 56

I thought it was the update at first and was thinking pw found the hidden treasure! was over 0.0085 at one point, turns out it was 98% luck 2% update.
so where are you going to move in 7 hours?
Activity: 196

Activity: 26
Activity: 490
Merit: 250
Is Bitcoin-Scrypt enlisted in mining basket?
Activity: 56
Anyone know what just happened to BTC/MHD over the last hour?  Sad

Yes!  Someone finally used the technically correct term of BTC/MHD!

Not very fond of this version either. Strictly technical you are referring to (BTC/MHs)*D Smiley

...I was looking at the WaffleStats page>Details>Statistics>Last Hour>BTC/Day/1Mh just now...

I give up.  I started typing up a detailed explanation but then realized how stupid it is to waste my time doing so.  No matter how incontrovertible my proof, you will all likely keep calling it whatever you want to anyway.  So have at it.  I will stick to more profitable endeavors.

Please explain. I like to read your posts while I'm doing nightly Shake Weight routine.
reading his posts is almost like reading shakespear's posts when he was still blogging a lot.
and if some one wanted to multiply his earnings by the D, i guess it could be profitable for few of us..
Anyone know what just happened to BTC/MHD over the last hour?  Sad

Yes!  Someone finally used the technically correct term of BTC/MHD!

Not very fond of this version either. Strictly technical you are referring to (BTC/MHs)*D Smiley

...I was looking at the WaffleStats page>Details>Statistics>Last Hour>BTC/Day/1Mh just now...

I give up.  I started typing up a detailed explanation but then realized how stupid it is to waste my time doing so.  No matter how incontrovertible my proof, you will all likely keep calling it whatever you want to anyway.  So have at it.  I will stick to more profitable endeavors.

Please explain. I like to read your posts while I'm doing nightly Shake Weight routine.
Activity: 307
Merit: 102
Activity: 700
Merit: 500
Does this mean we have a year of gpu mining at best or is there more time?
I wasnt mining yet back when bit coin was gpu only so i dont know...
The question with GPU mining, is... what algorithm?  I cannot predict the figure, but I doubt profitable SCRYPT mining with GPUs will last much longer.  And based on recent developments, I would say a few months at best. So, the question then becomes: do we need more cryptocurrencies with new algorithms?  Can an scrypt-adaptive-n or scrypt-chacha or sha3 or etc variant be the next Litecoin?  Vertcoin mining is currently hovering near the profitability of Litecoin mining, and Vertcoin is based on scrypt-adpative-n, which cannot be mined with the upcoming scrypt ASICs.  Is there enough utility in alternative blockchains that Vertcoin (for example) could maintain it's speculative value and actually support a mass incoming of GPU miners?

WAFFLEStats v1.1 - Workers Are Sexy Edition
Donate to: 1Pr87ypYdG8eMTNUXR4rT1q2P1VJ7yu1b5
Nice update, Wil.  Looking forward to see some workers charts after a day or two.

Mar 19, 2014 (partial)   79.09625173   11.42 GH/s   0.00779710

That shut them up with the variance talk!
Looks like we are going to close the day around .075BTC/MH.  Cross fingers for a last minute litecoin block to bring up the day's numbers!!!

We looked to be having good luck with litecoin blocks (including 2 in quick succession earlier in the day).  Definitely helping the profit numbers.

---

@PoolWaffle - could you add a few "luck" statistics?  Such as "expected" profitability based on switcher estimated profitability and work done (submitted shares); vs real profitability based on work done, blocks found, and block exchange value.  (After rejected share info, maybe. heh)
Activity: 249
Merit: 250

Stats are now being collected for individual workers. The biggest thing is that WAFFLES will only store a worker's hashrate if it has been active in the last 7 days. Also, these stats will only show for resolutions of 1 hour and above because worker aggregation is both computationally and bandwidth intensive. Tweaking may fix this.

Nice!  I didn't notice the individual stats at first, but found them (at least the starting dots  Grin ) under historical hashrate.
Activity: 20
WAFFLEStats v1.1 - Workers Are Sexy Edition
Another day, another update!

Individual Worker Stats
Stats are now being collected for individual workers. The biggest thing is that WAFFLES will only store a worker's hashrate if it has been active in the last 7 days. Also, these stats will only show for resolutions of 1 hour and above because worker aggregation is both computationally and bandwidth intensive. Tweaking may fix this.

Preferences!
Color mode, chart range and resolution, and visibility of different elements of the charts are now all saved across refreshes.

Confirmed/Unconverted Summary Flip
Unconverted is now "on top of" the confirmed balance on the Summary tab. This gives you a better idea of when you will actually get a payout.

Other Randomness
1) Redis caches email addresses now and will throttle anything sent to them. This prevents getting flooded with emails under certain circumstances (like those that have happened in the past). It also prevents people from spamming themselves or someone else with emails.
2) Summary chart now reflows to the height of the window MUCH better.
3) Properly displaying kilo/mega/giga kH/MH/GH abbreviations.
4) Emails now come from [email protected][2] instead of [email protected][3] . Small change. Check spam filters.
5) Random bug fixes (Details tab null values, clickable range/resolution button, etc).

As always, please consider donating. Server costs are high! People keep telling me to make some WAFFLES features premium only, but I don't want to do that! I'd rather work on new features instead of implementing a premium membership framework!

Donate to: 1Pr87ypYdG8eMTNUXR4rT1q2P1VJ7yu1b5
Rejects went up a  bit but seem to be sitting steady around 1.3%. was always around .2-.5% before. So, I am happy with the new system. Hope it helps us all out in the long run. Also a quick question. I had never noticed this message in cgminer before, what does "new block detected on network before long poll" mean? Just curious to its exact meaning. Thanks and Keep up the good work Mr. Waffle.  Smiley

The new server sends things in two different ways essentially.  One of them (the one you mentioned) is a coin switch, the other (new block) message is for a new block on the same chain.  Just something small with how we're sending the new data when switching work Smiley

Last couple hours are lower, but doesn't look to be outside of normal variance at all... From my admin panel:
http://i.imgur.com/Y4LzkfB.png

Okay.  I was looking at the WaffleStats page>Details>Statistics>Last Hour>BTC/Day/1Mh just now, and it was showing 0.0025.  Didn't think normal variance went that low....  But I will trust in PW.   Smiley

Yep, normal variance will definitely drop that low Smiley  With our current hashrate (12GHs), the following are [coin] [diff] [avgtime] for some of our larger coins:
litecoin, 5735.89666335: 2,083.87
dogecoin, 1395.90888910: 507.14
feathercoin, 231.53089248: 84.12
megacoin, 28.30226493: 10.28
worldcoin, 19.08832739: 6.93

Dogecoin being almost 10min blocks (on average), we'll routinely see 20-30 min gaps.  LTC at 35min avg, we'll constantly see whole hours go by with 0 income (if we were mining it full-time).  So we'll have some hours where we switch on and off of LTC, and don't find a block, leading to close to 0 income for that hour.  On the other hand, we'll have hours where we find 2 LTC blocks, and see a much higher number Smiley

Hey PW, I (and I can probably say this for the rest of the pool as well) VERY much appreciate your timely and patient responses to our questions.  Keep up the good work.  Most of us have a little knowledge about mining works, and as we all know, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing....  Thanks for taking the time to clarify issues and concerns, and to explain to us what is "normal" and what is "WTF?".

While this is a profit-based pool and most of us miners are profit-oriented folks, your customer service is what will keep me mining here even if another pool manages to tweak their algorithm to get slightly better results.  (Massively better, I might have to think about it...LOL)
Activity: 307
Merit: 102
Most of WafflePool's variance seems to come from Litecoin mining these days - profitability peaks and valleys particularly when we have good/bad luck at finding litecoin blocks..

Yup - and now Alpha-t says they are going to up their promised MH/s to match competitors (aka KnC).  This is going to be an interesting year for scrypt for sure.  I wasn't expecting 100MH devices until sometime next year.

Does this mean we have a year of gpu mining at best or is there more time?
I wasnt mining yet back when bit coin was gpu only so i dont know...
Jump to: