Pages:
Author

Topic: Price of gold manipulation - page 8. (Read 17900 times)

Activity: 742
Merit: 250
January 30, 2014, 11:41:14 AM
I have around 30% gold, 50% silver, 15% BTC and the rest in cash. Of that, probably the highest risk is BTC but it's the most fun to watch. I've been following gold for around ten years but in the last three years I don't actively watch the markets because it's too scary, especially in bitcoin. I haven't read the whole thread but gold is around the cost of pulling it out of the ground, so that should suggest the price is near a bottom. It may also be a time to look at miners that have proven reserves.

Is gold manipulated? I don't know of any market that isn't manipulated. More importantly how long can it go on for? I think 2014 or 2015 is when things will start to unfold but who knows? All it will take is for China to announce how much gold they actually own now and that could start the ball rolling. (interesting that they can have hundreds of tons delivered in one year, but the bundesbank can only get their hands on 30 or so). Probably even bitcoin is becoming manipulated either by governments trying to use scare tactics or regulations, or by bigger players who use pump and dump techniques.

I like silver because it's used in so many industries but at the same time, it is becoming very scarce and it's very expensive to get out of the ground. Also there's the perception that it's so much cheaper than gold so people will spend $25 to buy a one oz coin, rather than buy $25 worth of gold.

Just some random thoughts.

Well ok, if you have been watching the price of gold, or the gold market itself for nearly 10 years, well that gives you credibility and knowledge, so i want to ask you few questions :-).

- have you dont your own "research" into the issue?
- I know silver is widely used in industry but are there near substitues? That means if it gets too expensive, are there other metals or means to cheaply replace it?
Activity: 25
Merit: 0
January 30, 2014, 08:32:54 AM
All is a funny fake
Activity: 371
January 30, 2014, 06:41:10 AM
I have around 30% gold, 50% silver, 15% BTC and the rest in cash. Of that, probably the highest risk is BTC but it's the most fun to watch. I've been following gold for around ten years but in the last three years I don't actively watch the markets because it's too scary, especially in bitcoin. I haven't read the whole thread but gold is around the cost of pulling it out of the ground, so that should suggest the price is near a bottom. It may also be a time to look at miners that have proven reserves.

Is gold manipulated? I don't know of any market that isn't manipulated. More importantly how long can it go on for? I think 2014 or 2015 is when things will start to unfold but who knows? All it will take is for China to announce how much gold they actually own now and that could start the ball rolling. (interesting that they can have hundreds of tons delivered in one year, but the bundesbank can only get their hands on 30 or so). Probably even bitcoin is becoming manipulated either by governments trying to use scare tactics or regulations, or by bigger players who use pump and dump techniques.

I like silver because it's used in so many industries but at the same time, it is becoming very scarce and it's very expensive to get out of the ground. Also there's the perception that it's so much cheaper than gold so people will spend $25 to buy a one oz coin, rather than buy $25 worth of gold.

Just some random thoughts.
January 29, 2014, 11:20:04 PM
BTW im thinking about buying more PM, i have little gold, now im thinking about buying silver, but im not sure if i should or use the money to buy additional gold (but that would leave me with no gold at all... :-( ). What do you think? If gold goes higher (for example due to the problem with germany) will silver follow?
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
January 25, 2014, 06:38:00 PM
The FT Goes There: "Demand Physical Gold" As One Day Paper Price Manipulation Will End "Catastrophically"

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-01-25/ft-goes-there-demand-physical-gold-one-day-paper-price-manipulation-will-end-catastr

I think we must now be very close to the end of the current version of the London gold pool (the name of the last round of manipulation, which failed too), if this kind of headline is getting to as un-conspiratorial a MSM mouthpiece as the FT.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
January 25, 2014, 04:22:27 PM
how do you know that...? Do you want to tell me that all the gold importedto china goes to private sector? (private bullison sellers/buyers or manufactures of electronics etc.)? None of it goes to the reserve of chinesse central bank? People (gold sellers) told everyone that yes, it goes there.

The official figures are the best available evidence for the actual figures, at least for the time-being.  Imports/exports are reported.  PBOC reserve report was quite recent.  Since import/export imbalance is so high, and reserves are not rising, therefore the remainder is going into the private sector.
January 23, 2014, 09:54:50 PM
So today china supposedly announced her gold reserves and it says that they stayed the same...

But people were telling the public (mainly gold sellers) that china is buying tons of gold...

So who lies? ...

I'd trust China before gold sellers.  The latter have obvious interest to ramp the price, China does not.  In fact, it may be counter productive for them, if they were perceive to have a harder, gold backed currency, it would make their currency stronger.  This may hurt exports their economy is built upon.

Yeah thats a good critical thinking comment, didnt really saw and answer to that, usually they say that china is building its middle class and soon it wont need to export...
Also dont forget that a LOT of stuff is made now in china, dont even know if world could essentially afford to make all the stuff themselves these days...? (clothes, electronics), isnt china the "workshop" of the world now...? how do you see that?
Activity: 245
January 23, 2014, 06:55:08 PM
So today china supposedly announced her gold reserves and it says that they stayed the same...

But people were telling the public (mainly gold sellers) that china is buying tons of gold...

So who lies? ...

I'd trust China before gold sellers.  The latter have obvious interest to ramp the price, China does not.  In fact, it may be counter productive for them, if they were perceive to have a harder, gold backed currency, it would make their currency stronger.  This may hurt exports their economy is built upon.
Activity: 238
Stand on the shoulders of giants
January 23, 2014, 06:54:03 PM
Gold
I am just thinking about who actually can measure (weigh out) all those gold ton around the world.. who got the authorization to get inside the safe and say ... yep, I been inside Fort Knox it's real they really got it ... Its all on accountancy books. Also reminds me the many ecological disasters caused by gold rush. In Amazon rain florets ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serra_Pelada ) miners never really got rich they only get a gold called "in natura" witch has low value. Gold only became financial asset after receive certificate of purity by a certification authority. After that, you can choose keep your gold and pay the price and take responsibility for storage or pay somebody else to do it for you.

well, thinking about it I have reason to believe that Bitcoin ( and it's public ledger) is much better and rational financial asset than gold....
January 23, 2014, 05:56:02 PM
how do you know that...? Do you want to tell me that all the gold importedto china goes to private sector? (private bullison sellers/buyers or manufactures of electronics etc.)? None of it goes to the reserve of chinesse central bank? People (gold sellers) told everyone that yes, it goes there.
legendary
January 23, 2014, 12:49:59 PM

So who lies? the gold sellers trying to boost the price of gold or china, trying to accumulate more and more gold for a cheaper price (which it would not be able if it told that its byuing gold like crazy, because in such scenario the price would go up).
what do you think?

China continues to import massive amounts of gold.  They are not held by the PBOC, but by multitudes of Chinese savers.
January 23, 2014, 10:14:34 AM

So who lies? the gold sellers trying to boost the price of gold or china, trying to accumulate more and more gold for a cheaper price (which it would not be able if it told that its byuing gold like crazy, because in such scenario the price would go up).
what do you think?
January 21, 2014, 06:18:15 PM
Gold suppression is part of Fed's 'financial repression,' Rickards says.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7lGBFJCn-w

As general counsel for the hedge fund Long-Term Capital Management (LTCM), he was the principal negotiator in the 1998 bailout of LTCM by the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. Rickards worked on Wall Street for 35 years. In 2001, he began using his financial expertise to aid the U.S. national security community and the U.S. Department of Defense.

Rickards was sceptical to the manipulation for a long time...I recall the GATA guys getting quite excited when he accepted the obvious. He's one of the more mainstream voices talking about gold manipulation, anyway.
January 21, 2014, 05:33:56 PM
And does anybody know the features of the gold futures traded at comex? I mean concretelly their payement period, if i buy "paper" futures gold at comex, what date is the delivery? In a year, in two years, in 5 years..? Whats the avarage delivery date on gold futures at comex?
legendary
Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001
January 21, 2014, 02:58:24 PM

Mikcik, I have a question on gold manipulation, hope it is OK to ask in your thread, as this is where the eyes seem to be.

We all saw what happened when MtGox stopped paying out USD, or at least severely rationed USD. The result was the price of MtGox bitcoins (paper bitcoins if you will) rose substantially. If you do business with actual bitcoins, the price is now currently ~17.5% less.

As related to gold, the expectation seems to be that if the Comex runs dry (or stops paying out in real gold), the price of physical will rally to substantial levels above paper gold. But the MtGox episode explains the opposite - that it will be paper gold (comex futures) that explodes higher as it tries to lure physical gold into its coffers.

Conclusion: Physical gold will therefore trade at a significant *discount* to comex futures if there is a run at the comex. Yes?
Nope, Gox Dollars trade at a discount to Physical Dollars because there is significant difficulty in converting Gox Dollars to Real Dollars. Similarly, if there were difficulty in converting Comex Gold into Physical Gold, then the price of Physical Gold would shoot up in relation to the Comex price.

Ok, makes sense
legendary
January 21, 2014, 02:37:47 PM
nevermind.  i'm having one of those ultra-stupid days which occur every other week or so.  on the road too long i guess.
January 21, 2014, 02:14:46 PM
Nope, Gox Dollars trade at a discount to Physical Dollars because there is significant difficulty in converting Gox Dollars to Real Dollars.

Hmmm.  USD are up.  Perhaps there is a significant difficulty in converting US Dollars into Real Dollars.

Hrm. I'm not sure quite what you mean, I was just describing the basic point that when two ostensibly identical items (in this case dollars) are traded in two different locations, and they cannot easily be moved from one location to the other (eg moving dollars from MtGox to my bank account), it will result in a price differential where the item in the less desirable location (MtGox) is worth less then the item in the more desirable location (my bank).  Similarly, if gold on the Comex cannot be converted into Physical gold easily, and a demand ever arises to convert the gold from the one to the other directly in any quantity, it will cause gold in the less valued location (Comex) to sell at a discount to gold in the more valued location (a physical coin in my safety deposit box).
legendary
January 21, 2014, 01:46:36 PM
Nope, Gox Dollars trade at a discount to Physical Dollars because there is significant difficulty in converting Gox Dollars to Real Dollars.

Hmmm.  USD are up.  Perhaps there is a significant difficulty in converting US Dollars into Real Dollars.
January 21, 2014, 01:38:47 PM

Mikcik, I have a question on gold manipulation, hope it is OK to ask in your thread, as this is where the eyes seem to be.

We all saw what happened when MtGox stopped paying out USD, or at least severely rationed USD. The result was the price of MtGox bitcoins (paper bitcoins if you will) rose substantially. If you do business with actual bitcoins, the price is now currently ~17.5% less.

As related to gold, the expectation seems to be that if the Comex runs dry (or stops paying out in real gold), the price of physical will rally to substantial levels above paper gold. But the MtGox episode explains the opposite - that it will be paper gold (comex futures) that explodes higher as it tries to lure physical gold into its coffers.

Conclusion: Physical gold will therefore trade at a significant *discount* to comex futures if there is a run at the comex. Yes?
Nope, Gox Dollars trade at a discount to Physical Dollars because there is significant difficulty in converting Gox Dollars to Real Dollars. Similarly, if there were difficulty in converting Comex Gold into Physical Gold, then the price of Physical Gold would shoot up in relation to the Comex price.
legendary
Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001
January 21, 2014, 01:31:02 PM

Pages:
Jump to: