Pages:
Author

Topic: Public STATEMENT Regarding Bitcoinica account hack at MtGox - page 13. (Read 72856 times)

legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004
Seriously, you 3 together have done a much better investigation than any "actual investigation" most official judges or police bureaus in the world would. The only think you lack is "authority".

Yes, such a good investigation, and yet they can't prove anything and decided to release private customer information and libel against a customer in the process.

Class act.

You believe "the police" would do any better? They would probably just file a report and ignore it, as always. Unless some of the victims give them some incentive$ to do anything, of course.
Anyway, let's avoid derailing such a "tense" thread.
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002
China must be a wonderful place to live. I can only imagine the mess I would get myself into if I just wired $40k "for a friend" to one of my bank accounts.
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet
Seriously, you 3 together have done a much better investigation than any "actual investigation" most official judges or police bureaus in the world would. The only think you lack is "authority".

Yes, such a good investigation, and yet they can't prove anything and decided to release private customer information and libel against a customer in the process.

Class act.

Zhou, get a lawyer, but get one to sue these shmucks.

It is not up to any of us to judge if funds should be unlocked, we should have an actual court with an actual judge do an actual investigation first.

Instead, it's your job to libel against customers for things you have no proof of?

I'm gonna take a break from Bitcoin for a while. When I come back, I hope to see that it's returned to being Bitcoin again and not just a microversion of the US government with a bunch of hot-head businesses eager for attention.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
Look upon me, BitcoinTalk, for I...am...Rarity!
where else was this email account even known?  Who knew you used this email account for anything?

It seems since the account wasn't very public, the logical top suspects for who hacked it in an attempt to incriminate Zhou Tong would be the folks who just brought it's existence to our attention in a further attempt to incriminate him.  The government is going to have to consider that option when they start sorting out this mess for us.
Activity: 504
ZT,

So a hacker compromised this gmail account of yours?
How long ago did you notice someone else was using the email account?
Why did you not contact services that this email account was used for to inform them?
where else was this email account even known? 
Who knew you used this email account for anything?

I would really like a better timeline on this email account..??

anyone?

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
The only entity which can provide such information with authority is Liberty Reserve itself.
AurumExchange, MtGox and Bitinstant, please, try to contact Liberty Reserve, in an official manner. If they don't respond, try to reach them via lawyers or something. I know it's possible that they'll just ignore the requests, but you'll never be sure if you don't try.

Unfortunately LR will not reply unless legal action is started, which is what we are also waiting for.

AurumXchange however can (and is actually required to) block funds suspected to be in relation of known criminal activity.

True, if nobody reports anything, there won't be any crime, hacker walks away and everything's fine. Thing is we believe there is a high chance that this time legal action will be started, and within that context funds were blocked.

It is not up to any of us to judge if funds should be unlocked, we should have an actual court with an actual judge do an actual investigation first.

If nothing else, these transactions fall very squarely within the requirements for lodging AML suspicious activity reports so there's a chance that they'll be looked at more closely by financial intelligence units even if there are no police reports made.
legendary
Activity: 2856
Merit: 1520
Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

Agreed, although it is clear Zhou Tong is innocent this case should be handled by the government.  The beauty of having government to solve issues like this is that they have the best interests of everyone involved at heart and only seek to find the truth of the matter and arrange to punish the guilty and give whatever restitution is possible to the victims.  A greater partnership between governments and the Bitcoin community is essential for assuring a positive outcome for this amazing currency.  

So then Zhou Tong should go to the police immediately  in his freetime after school. This is what I would do in his case.
vip
Activity: 302
Merit: 253
Relevant?

Session Time: Fri Jul 13 00:00:00 2012
[00:49] * phantomcircuit ([email protected]) has joined #intersango
[00:49] * ChanServ sets mode: +o phantomcircuit
[01:01] * phantomcircuit sets mode: -o phantomcircuit
[01:01] * phantomcircuit is now known as steve_bobs

[00:49] * phantomcircuit ([email protected]) has joined #bitcoinconsultancy

[00:49] * phantomcircuit ([email protected]) has joined #bitcoinica
vip
Activity: 608
Merit: 501
-

We'd need details that can't be pulled out without authority to get definitive evidence.
legendary
The beauty of having government to solve issues like this is that they have the best interests of everyone involved at heart and only seek to find the truth of the matter and arrange to punish the guilty and give whatever restitution is possible to the victims.

LOL
legendary
The only entity which can provide such information with authority is Liberty Reserve itself.
AurumExchange, MtGox and Bitinstant, please, try to contact Liberty Reserve, in an official manner. If they don't respond, try to reach them via lawyers or something. I know it's possible that they'll just ignore the requests, but you'll never be sure if you don't try.

Unfortunately LR will not reply unless legal action is started, which is what we are also waiting for.

They've already said that explicitly to one of you?
I imagined that AurumExchange being an important client of Liberty Reserve, they would be OK with at least saying Yes or No to the "Did such transfer happen?" question.
Anyways... guess the way is to start a criminal complaint then.

Agreed, although it is clear Zhou Tong is innocent

no it is not clear...

And please respond to this, ZT;
I hope everyone can comment with more reasoning and less assumptions. I'm trying my best to calm down and attempt to get more information about the hacker, because he also used my email for a credit card fraud case. It's possible to discover something at that direction.

I have also listed a few people who know this secret email of mine. And I'm going to question them one by one tonight.

I'm definitely on the side of Bitcoinica customers and I believe that if the real hacker really had ties with me personally like what MagicalTux said, I may be able to recover majority of the amount back if the hacker can be warned. This issue is very serious and if I'm the hacker, I would definitely return the full amount back to reduce the criminal punishment.

The hacker seems to be a Chinese because he used Chinese punctuations in his English messages in the Aurumxchange ticket.

I will provide any information needed to the police once Bitcoinica files a police report.

The hacker has now been warned and has returned all the stolen funds in 5...4...3...

(I have no idea how I got two pages behind in such a short period of time, so if the above has for real happened already, forgive me)

He probably doesn't know that. I have received another email just now and it seems that the hacker isn't aware of this thread at all:

https://www.aurumxchange.com/help/ticket.php?track=Y72-1AN-3Y4H&Refresh=32888

Why did you not contact services that this email account was used for to inform them?

where else was this email account even known?  Who knew you used this email account for anything?
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
Look upon me, BitcoinTalk, for I...am...Rarity!

Agreed, although it is clear Zhou Tong is innocent this case should be handled by the government.  The beauty of having government to solve issues like this is that they have the best interests of everyone involved at heart and only seek to find the truth of the matter and arrange to punish the guilty and give whatever restitution is possible to the victims.  A greater partnership between governments and the Bitcoin community is essential for assuring a positive outcome for this amazing currency.  
Activity: 530
What was Zhou's "secret" email account needed for? If new exchange accounts were opened (that is, no password resets on existing ones) then the only reason would be to incriminate Zhou - unless he's guilty.

Since it added an extra step on top on everything else (gaining access to the LastPass account being one) it skews the primary purpose of all this from gaining wealth to destroying someone personally.

Of interest: The earlier Bitcoinica hack statements indicated that the purpose was to destroy Bitcoinica as being bad for Bitcoin.

Btw, Zhou's email is not in the public list of stolen LinkedIn password hashes at least. I botched that, and don't know. I found it interesting that Zhou pointed out LinkedIn specifically.

If people only understood to never, ever, re-use passwords. Anywhere. For any purpose.
I hope everyone can comment with more reasoning and less assumptions. I'm trying my best to calm down and attempt to get more information about the hacker, because he also used my email for a credit card fraud case. It's possible to discover something at that direction.

I have also listed a few people who know this secret email of mine. And I'm going to question them one by one tonight.

I'm definitely on the side of Bitcoinica customers and I believe that if the real hacker really had ties with me personally like what MagicalTux said, I may be able to recover majority of the amount back if the hacker can be warned. This issue is very serious and if I'm the hacker, I would definitely return the full amount back to reduce the criminal punishment.

The hacker seems to be a Chinese because he used Chinese punctuations in his English messages in the Aurumxchange ticket.

I will provide any information needed to the police once Bitcoinica files a police report.

The hacker has now been warned and has returned all the stolen funds in 5...4...3...

(I have no idea how I got two pages behind in such a short period of time, so if the above has for real happened already, forgive me)

He probably doesn't know that. I have received another email just now and it seems that the hacker isn't aware of this thread at all:

donator
Activity: 544
I've asked this before (I believe twice), but never got an answer: Has anybody ever met Zhou Tong in person?
In the past I emailed with an operator of another Singaporean exchange, https://dgtmkt.com/ , and he said that even though he does not know Zhou in person, they have mutual friends.
Activity: 532

just easy simple or the biggest fake ever!! Cheesy

So this superhacker is able to break into his computer yet he is this dumb now?  the hacker is smart enough to steal all this money but not smart enough to not even bother framing people as it leaves more evidence?  Come on.... or maybe steal a lot of bitcoins and make it seem like you are being framed.  It is like Basic Instinct, write a book of a crime before it occurs then it becomes the person's alibi.
vip
Activity: 608
Merit: 501
-

AurumXchange however can (and is actually required to) block funds suspected to be in relation of known criminal activity.

True, if nobody reports anything, there won't be any crime, hacker walks away and everything's fine. Thing is we believe there is a high chance that this time legal action will be started, and within that context funds were blocked.

Activity: 113
Merit: 10
About him attending college in Australia. Is there any proof of that besides him stating such.

The phone number in the AurumXchange transaction which Zhou says is his is a landline in the state of Victoria.  It would certainly be possible to ring it and find out the relationship of the person answering to Zhou.

This proves very little in these days of VoIP. It's relatively simple to have any phone number ring anywhere on the planet that's got Internet connectivity.

As I said, +61 3 9015 7926 is mine and the number is posted on NameTerrific.

That's nice - as far as I can tell, if I wanted to have an Australian phone number that rang here on my desk in California it would cost me $7 USD/month for unlimited inbound calls. I'm not going to bother signing up for one, but control of a phone number does very little to prove a person's physical location these days.

legendary
Activity: 2856
Merit: 1520
Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

just easy simple or the biggest fake ever!! Cheesy
Pages:
Jump to: