Pages:
Author

Topic: Public STATEMENT Regarding Bitcoinica account hack at MtGox - page 15. (Read 72856 times)

Activity: 504
Merit: 500
Doesn't Mike Hearn, a bitcoiner himself, work for Account Security at Google?
Maybe ask him for help with the Gmail access logs, Zhou Tong?

The hacker used Tor for all online communications. I'm looking for alternative ways to locate the person.

I have to say that it's not a good choice for AurumXchange to not include me in the investigation in the first place. I skipped a few classes this afternoon to deal with this mess. However, I have to admit that their intentions are understandable. It's just the fact that 90% of people believing me to be the hacker is driving me mad.

NO one believes any certain person is the hacker. We just don't know really.  And yea, it is quite believable that a hacker would be sure to leave crumb trails pointing at certain parties. We all get that.

It's just the whole fucking mess is frustrating and could have been avoided in so many ways.  Is there any reason what so ever that we cannot get the friggin verified claims paid out before some other 'hack' happens???
vip
Activity: 490
Merit: 502

If criminal charges are brought against him and the Australian government/embassy is informed then they might cancel his visa.

Our government would not cancel someone's visa simply because they've been charged with a crime, especially a non-violent crime.  Half the time we refuse to extradite when requested.

Apparently everyone wants someone else to involve law enforcement.  Unfortunately, that means that Zhou is going to be tried in the court of public opinion rather than have the weight of the evidence against him determined by disinterested outsiders.

About him attending college in Australia. Is there any proof of that besides him stating such.

The phone number in the AurumXchange transaction which Zhou says is his is a landline in the state of Victoria.  It would certainly be possible to ring it and find out the relationship of the person answering to Zhou.

It is utterly ridiculous that people are making threats of personal harm over this.  Make a police report and let the legal process take it's course.  Taking the law into your own hands will cause more harm to the acceptance of Bitcoin and its supporters than any theft ever will.  Plus, Australian police agencies will take assassination threats very seriously if Zhou does return here.

Regarding the phone number:

The $40K transaction is mine and it's entirely legitimate. The phone number is also mine (but please don't call, I need to calm down.)
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1016
Strength in numbers

The hacker used Tor for all online communications. I'm looking for alternative ways to locate the person.

I have to say that it's not a good choice for AurumXchange to not include me in the investigation in the first place. I skipped a few classes this afternoon to deal with this mess. However, I have to admit that their intentions are understandable. It's just the fact that 90% of people believing me to be the hacker is driving me mad.

Which classes? Just curious.
vip

Activity: 504
It's a shame that this lynch mob is forming based on shoddy evidence presented in an internet forum. I guess that is just the way justice works in the modern world, much like the lynch mobs going after George Zimmerman.  Zhou Tong clearly posted that his email account was hacked.  He has been the victims of hackers before and they are obviously trying to escape justice by framing their victim. It's a shame people are willing to become so manipulated instead of trying to continue to seek out the true criminals.  

Yes, clearly he showed proof that his email account was hacked...   Roll Eyes

Please go read back through all the little bits of info about this email, it's uses, times and what ZT says about it, what and whne he noticed it, etc etc...
legendary
Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001
I am honestly shocked by reading this.
Not shocked by the bitcoinica drama (which is almost comical by now), but by the reactions and assumptions here.

Let me sum up the general sentiment here:

- ZT programmed the bitcoinica, which was, mildly said successful. That makes him stand out of 99% of the users here alone.
- Hacks happened. Involving clever things like breaching-several-layers, TOR and the like
- Suddenly, ZTs personal verified accounts, addresses, name shoots up literally everywhere
- How much did ZT receive on his bankaccount (I assume it was stopped anyway)? 5k$? like a few percent of the whole sum? Reminds me of something.. Oh, right, Bitcoin faucet did the last hack! They provable received stolen coins!!1!

Conclusion, it must have been him then?

You seriously assume he, would he have "hacked" several hundred thousand $  out of his former project, would fucking exchange it on his own name the very next name?!?
He would not be clever enough to register a new emailaddress, apparently he had TOR installed already and knew several emailproviders?!?
He would not make everything to bitcoins and let the sit for a while?!?
He, Zhou Tong, would do all the mistakes you could imagine, although no single "hacker" of the other large scams/hacks waas ever found/proven/caught?!?

You must be fucking kidding me.

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

*breath in*
*breath out*

Seriously. I am reading here for some time. I always felt some people here are a bit quick with insults and impulsive and all that. But this really shocks me. There are less than a handfull of reasonable posts in this thread. People are touting proven fact that ZT was the thief. And/or are demanding scammertags for Amir. For today, you people disgust me. I will try hard to *always* assume to be surrounded by 10 year olds on this forum. I will only assume reason to people I personally met.
Most of you people won't care at all. But to me, this very thread (and to some extend whole forum) did a noticeable dent in my heart.

People. Please think about it for one single minute from a rational, observing, sceptical perspective. And then try to do this every so often in your life.

Ente

edit
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

If criminal charges are brought against him and the Australian government/embassy is informed then they might cancel his visa.

Our government would not cancel someone's visa simply because they've been charged with a crime, especially a non-violent crime.  Half the time we refuse to extradite when requested.

Apparently everyone wants someone else to involve law enforcement.  Unfortunately, that means that Zhou is going to be tried in the court of public opinion rather than have the weight of the evidence against him determined by disinterested outsiders.

About him attending college in Australia. Is there any proof of that besides him stating such.

The phone number in the AurumXchange transaction which Zhou says is his is a landline in the state of Victoria.  It would certainly be possible to ring it and find out the relationship of the person answering to Zhou.

It is utterly ridiculous that people are making threats of personal harm over this.  Make a police report and let the legal process take it's course.  Taking the law into your own hands will cause more harm to the acceptance of Bitcoin and its supporters than any theft ever will.  Plus, Australian police agencies will take assassination threats very seriously if Zhou does return here.
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002
Activity: 714
I dont' know, a email is easy to hack, especially when you heavily reuse your password.

Bitcoinica can be hacked,  
Bitcoin Consultancy's email can be hacked,
Why can't be Zhoutong's email?

Now i don't think Zhoutong is the hacker, he can't be that stupid.

Embarrassed
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
Look upon me, BitcoinTalk, for I...am...Rarity!
Thank you for handling this situation so well, you are a true professional and a model for this community.
vip
I hope everyone can comment with more reasoning and less assumptions. I'm trying my best to calm down and attempt to get more information about the hacker, because he also used my email for a credit card fraud case. It's possible to discover something at that direction.

I have also listed a few people who know this secret email of mine. And I'm going to question them one by one tonight.

I'm definitely on the side of Bitcoinica customers and I believe that if the real hacker really had ties with me personally like what MagicalTux said, I may be able to recover majority of the amount back if the hacker can be warned. This issue is very serious and if I'm the hacker, I would definitely return the full amount back to reduce the criminal punishment.

The hacker seems to be a Chinese because he used Chinese punctuations in his English messages in the Aurumxchange ticket.

I will provide any information needed to the police once Bitcoinica files a police report.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
Look upon me, BitcoinTalk, for I...am...Rarity!
It's a shame that this lynch mob is forming based on shoddy evidence presented in an internet forum. I guess that is just the way justice works in the modern world, much like the lynch mobs going after George Zimmerman.  Zhou Tong clearly posted that his email account was hacked.  He has been the victims of hackers before and they are obviously trying to escape justice by framing their victim. It's a shame people are willing to become so manipulated instead of trying to continue to seek out the true criminals.  
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015
Whoa.  This is not exactly a surprise but it was quite a bold move to rob us a third time, Zhou, shame on you.

Everyone seems to be assuming he's guilty.  I've seen no compelling evidence of that so far.  Did I miss something?
No, which is why you aren't seeing any cooperation on our (the forum) side. However, the question now becomes this: what would an outside hacker have needed to compromise that email address. Off the top of my head, that would mean that ZT's computer must be compromised, and that his computer was the source of all this hacking from the start. I'm curious what other ideas people might have, though.
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1016
Not defending anyone (I'll leave that to the lawyers) but think about it: why would he steal the 40k usd (which is only a small fraction of the total theft) knowing full well it can easily be traced back to him?  Something doesn't make sense here.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
Somebody owes me a blowjob!

And not apologizing for using 12 15 18 20pt font in bold, to boot.

I've asked this before (I believe twice), but never got an answer: Has anybody ever met Zhou Tong in person?

Watch this video (Matthew interview) again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AYlGHHnCj8 Does his voice/tone sound like to you that of a 16-year-plus-two-week-old-Asian-kid? Obviously, I'm leaning no, hence asking the question.

Yes, I remember the pics he posted directed at me proving who he is. I had no choice but to accept that as fact, albeit I still had, or still do, have/had doubts, but opted to drop the issue for fear of getting shunned.

Trust me, all, I'm not a nutcase. If anybody here were ever to meet me in person, you would like me. I don't mean that in an egotistical way either.

I have read every single Twitter post that Zhou has written on his handful of accounts, even translating the Chinese ones. A couple of the tweeps he avidly communicated with have recently locked their profile, of which I find weird. I can't put my finger on it, but the whole 2-3 story just doesn't feel/felt right. That's the best way I can explain it. Are there irregularities and inconsistencies? I feel yes, but it would take a hell of a lot work to prove it/them. I'll just leave it at that.

My best guess all along, again no real proof, and it was touched on a few posts up, is that this is/was a long con, started just before Bitcoin fully came onto the scene.

That's all, for the moment. Now, about that blowjob!

~Bruno~
Activity: 27
Merit: 0
This could be one for the bitcoin history books

I keep thinking this would make a great movie, telling the story from the POV of the major players. And you won't know for sure who really did it even when the end credits roll - just like in real life.

Zhou, can I get the rest of my 50 BTC back now?
legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1333
Whoa.  This is not exactly a surprise but it was quite a bold move to rob us a third time, Zhou, shame on you.

Everyone seems to be assuming he's guilty.  I've seen no compelling evidence of that so far.  Did I miss something?
Activity: 952
Merit: 1009
I like how this "hacker" is just letting all that there evidence sit around in that stevejobs mail account. Cause that's what "hackers" do. Just leave complete transaction histories laying around in easily accessible places for the "owner" of he system to find.
Activity: 106
Merit: 10
This could be one for the bitcoin history books
legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000
www.bitcointrading.com
Pages:
Jump to: