Pages:
Author

Topic: Public STATEMENT Regarding Bitcoinica account hack at MtGox - page 19. (Read 72856 times)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Wat
What is the punishment for theft in Singapore ?

Dunno. It's time to read up on the Singaporean legal system I guess. I am hoping when they do a trial, we will be able to see transparently every piece of evidence, opinions, etc, or something like that.

This ids a good time to use http://judge.me
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

Dunno. It's time to read up on the Singaporean legal system I guess. I am hoping when they do a trial, we will be able to see transparently every piece of evidence, opinions, etc, or something like that.
Wat
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
Zhou admitted on here the other day that he sold a large amount of Liberty Reserve following the hack - people had already noticed the transactions and asked him about them.  He said he did it "for a friend".

Can you extract the log saying why he did it?

The only question I have is: Why wasn't that information made public sooner?

Be thankful it's been released at all.  This is a criminal matter and the exchanges are under no obligation whatsoever to pass on any information they have to anyone other than law enforcement.
legendary
I'm gathering some information and a statement will be posted soon.

[email protected] was indeed my email account used for anonymous testing purpose, however I haven't been using it for a long time. I'm logging in the account to check the suspicious activity and I'll post relevant details as well.

The $40,000 I exchanged at AurumXchange was indeed from a friend. Later I can also post proof that I exchanged another $30,000 at other exchanges during the same period. The total amount far exceeds the stolen amount claimed in the OP. My own Liberty Reserve account number is U7097615.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt until the very end even if nobody else will, but it is up to you to defend yourself.
Activity: 463
Merit: 252

[email protected] was indeed my email account used for anonymous testing purpose, however I haven't been using it for a long time. I'm logging in the account to check the suspicious activity and I'll post relevant details as well.

The $40,000 I exchanged at AurumXchange was indeed from a friend. Later I can also post proof that I exchanged another $30,000 at other exchanges during the same period. The total amount far exceeds the stolen amount claimed in the OP. My own Liberty Reserve account number is U7097615.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g5Hz17C4is
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057
Marketing manager - GO MP

oh boy here we go.
vip
Activity: 490
Merit: 502

legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037
Trusted Bitcoiner
could Z have also been behind the other bitcoina "hacks"?
legendary
To be honest that comes out not as big as a surprise....  Roll Eyes

They were...investigating? I mean, we are talking about a prominent bitcoin community member who have a big reputation(which is now busted). Would you accuse a person who seems so trustworthy without a lot of investigating? I think not.
Wat

Zhou Tong has some explaining to do. Perhaps on #bitcoin-court
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057
Marketing manager - GO MP
To be honest that comes out not as big as a surprise....  Roll Eyes

legendary
Zhou admitted on here the other day that he sold a large amount of Liberty Reserve following the hack - people had already noticed the transactions and asked him about them.  He said he did it "for a friend".

Can you extract the log saying why he did it?
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
It seems proven that Zhou Tong owns [email protected], but how did you verify that the hacker controls this email address?

* To my surprise, upon further examination of our order system, I found an order from Zhou Tong to sell Liberty Reserve to us for the amount of USD 40,000, requesting a wire to his bank account in Singapore.

How do you know that Zhou Tong owns this account?

legendary
Sigh... kiba, what say you now?

You can quibble over my judgement over previous line of evidence, but now I updated my belief about this incident to 80%(and increasing) probability of an inside job.

However, I will assume Zhou Tong innocent until the legal proceeding is resolved or Zhou Tong admit to the theft.
Activity: 146
Merit: 100

• Mark replied stating that there was activity on this account, that the account was opened using an IP address belonging to Microsoft Singapore, that Zhou Tong was known to have worked for said company at said location,
fyi same microsoft ip was used by zhou tong on freenode IRC #bitcoinica since October 19 2011

log extracts from October 2011

Code:
2011-10-19 12:13<  neofutur> zhoutong: I m trying bitcoinica and I like it
2011-10-19 12:13<  neofutur> but . . . i m pretty much afraid by your ip / whois
2011-10-19 12:14<  neofutur> is bitcoinica a microsoft owned or sponsored project ?
2011-10-19 12:18<  neofutur> (12:12) -!- zhoutong [[email protected]]
2011-10-19 21:52-!- zhoutong [[email protected]] has quit [Read error: Connection
                   reset by peer]
2011-10-19 21:54-!- zhoutong [[email protected]] has joined #bitcoinica

Activity: 504
Very interesting information.

However, I will reserve all judgement as a member of this community until the criminal/civil legal proceeding is complete. The accusation is heavy for a person who have his whole life ahead of him. If Zhou Tong is responsible for the theft, I hope he will do the right thing and return the funds promptly and quickly as possible so that bitcoinica customers can move on with their lives.

One can sure preserve their faith in humanity and not be faulted for it. I don't blame you, m8.

Sadly, ZT's little show of guilty conscience by doing that quick 5k claim, oh I feel so bad for everyone here is a mere pitance of what I took, would tell me that he had washed himself of feeling bad and moved one at that point.  Or, it was just a lame attempt at further trying to distance himsself from the suspect spotlight.

The whole thing literally just gave me heartburn. And I lost 0 coins there. :/
administrator
Activity: 5222
Merit: 13032
It seems proven that Zhou Tong owns [email protected], but how did you verify that the hacker controls this email address?

* To my surprise, upon further examination of our order system, I found an order from Zhou Tong to sell Liberty Reserve to us for the amount of USD 40,000, requesting a wire to his bank account in Singapore.

How do you know that Zhou Tong owns this account?
legendary
Very interesting information.

However, I will reserve all judgement as a member of this community until the criminal/civil legal proceeding is complete. The accusation is heavy for a person who have his whole life ahead of him. If Zhou Tong is responsible for the theft, I hope he will do the right thing and return the funds promptly and quickly as possible so that bitcoinica customers can move on with their lives.
Activity: 128
Merit: 100
I'm doin' fine on cloud 9
Oh wowie! I had a feeling!
Pages:
Jump to: