Pages:
Author

Topic: Pywallet 2.2: manage your wallet [Update required] - page 36. (Read 207931 times)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009
firstbits:1MinerQ
I saw suggested on the forum that pywallet may work to import an address if used with the bitcoind client and the wallet is unlocked first. This seems like an easy way to work around encryption issues but I'm wondering if anyone has actually tried this?

Even though the wallet is unlocked briefly (by invoking command line to daemon client) that doesn't imply to me that the wallet file is actually then updatable by pywallet as it's possible/likely that an unlocked wallet is simply held in memory (at least I wouldn't assume that the disk file is re-written unencrypted). Anyone know for sure?

(btw I'm using the new 0.5.0 bitcoind as well as bitcoin-qt, which apparently writes the wallet differently than 0.4.0)
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233
May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage
This is what I get, :

Code:
 C:\Users\M7\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin>pywallet.py --web --port 8989
  File "C:\Users\M7\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin\pywallet.py", line 109
    _p = 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFEFFFFFC2FL
                                                                           ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
I think you used Python 3, you should try with Python 2
Activity: 154
Merit: 101
Bitcoin!
Thanks for this jackjack!
donator
Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008
This is what I get, :

Code:
 C:\Users\M7\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin>pywallet.py --web --port 8989
  File "C:\Users\M7\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin\pywallet.py", line 109
    _p = 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFEFFFFFC2FL
                                                                           ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
cjp
Activity: 210
Merit: 124
I tried it with Bitcoin 0.4 (not encrypted), and it worked fine for me (I only tried dumping the wallet contents and importing a private key).

Having said that, I'll still backup my wallet each time before using Pywallet.
Activity: 714
Merit: 500
Must try this someday.
Activity: 533
Merit: 501
I don't have my wallet encrypted, and tried to use pywallet on 0.4, and it threw an error because of the version number.

I went into the code, and changed maxversion from 32400 to 52400 and then imported into my wallet. Seemed to work fine.

(Warning, may kill your wallet)
Activity: 742
Hi there!
I had to leave for some time, sorry for that
I won't have as much time as before but I won't leave for months anymore

The priority is of course to make pywallet able to deal with encrypted wallets
I can't give you any ETA but I'll do my best

Btw, thanks for your pull requests on Github, I'll check and commit them

Thanks for the update!
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233
May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage
Hi there!
I had to leave for some time, sorry for that
I won't have as much time as before but I won't leave for months anymore

The priority is of course to make pywallet able to deal with encrypted wallets
I can't give you any ETA but I'll do my best

Btw, thanks for your pull requests on Github, I'll check and commit them
Any word on getting this to work with 0.4's encrypted wallet?
Activity: 900
Merit: 1000
Crypto Geek
Would be great if it was possible to bulk import private keys dumped from another wallet, in order to merge all keys from an old wallet into a new one.  

Alternatively, does anyone know how to script this from a wallet dump using grep/sed etc?

edit: Also, how to check the balance of multiple addresses in one hit with copy and paste?
Activity: 560
I started looking at this as a way to import bitbills and other printed addresses without having to patch the client. I'm on Lion though and the broken bsddb thing is a pain. I use homebrew instead of mac ports, and eventhough I have a separate install of python, I still get "ImportError: No module named _bsddb." I'm moving my wallet onto another system soon, so its not a big deal for me (and not your fault).

One question. How does this handle the encryption that comes with 0.4?
Tried adding a private key. Broke my wallet. Seems to dump most of it just fine, though.
I started looking at this as a way to import bitbills and other printed addresses without having to patch the client. I'm on Lion though and the broken bsddb thing is a pain. I use homebrew instead of mac ports, and eventhough I have a separate install of python, I still get "ImportError: No module named _bsddb." I'm moving my wallet onto another system soon, so its not a big deal for me (and not your fault).

One question. How does this handle the encryption that comes with 0.4?
legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1129
All paid signature campaigns should be banned.
Great program.  I downloaded it, installed it and used it to browse my wallet and import a private key.  It worked great.  A small donation is on its way.

One very small feature request:  Could you add the ability to import the mini private key format described here:  https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mini_private_key_format

All you have to do is take the SHA256 of the mini key to get the full private key and then go from there.  Thanks, and keep up the fantastic work.
Activity: 350
Merit: 251
How will pywallet work with 0.4.0 client just released?

I've used pywallet several times for importing a vanitygen key into my wallet.
But now that I'm using an encrypted wallet I expect pywallet is going to choke.

Any plans to add support for the new version?
I suspect that supporting the encryption would be difficult. Is there an alternate way to solve this problem. Maybe the json-rpc interface can be used to import new keys after unlocking?

it might work, but wait for confirmation before you use it.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1009
firstbits:1MinerQ
How will pywallet work with 0.4.0 client just released?

I've used pywallet several times for importing a vanitygen key into my wallet.
But now that I'm using an encrypted wallet I expect pywallet is going to choke.

Any plans to add support for the new version?
I suspect that supporting the encryption would be difficult. Is there an alternate way to solve this problem. Maybe the json-rpc interface can be used to import new keys after unlocking?

vip
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1135
The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)
Jackjack,

I was wondering if pywallet supports 22-character "mini private keys" as I have been distributing on Casascius Physical Bitcoins and which I am trying to encourage as an adopted standard.  Shorter keys is a universally desirable attribute both for hand-typed keys, and even QR codes (due to lower dot density, they are more readable and more dots can be spent on error correction).

If it is not yet implemented, the algorithm is simple: take the SHA256 of the 22 characters.

Validation is also fairly simple: always base58 alphabet, first character is always 'S'.  A short algorithm is described in the Wiki for detecting typos, see "Mini private key format".
Activity: 350
Merit: 251
How do I know if my wallet is corrupted? It's a stupid question, but I'd rather be on the safe side before I start sending out my vanity-addresses to people.

valid question, if you know how to run a brand new windows install or linux live cd or somthing, send a test amount of coins to a made address.

then on the brand new OS run bitcoin and let all blocks download. then disconnect the internet and never reconnect it after this point

now import the keys into the wallet with pywallet and slap it in the bitcoin client. now run the bitcoin client with the -rescan parameter. if you see the coins, your set, if not something messed up. if you ran the whole thing with a live cd your just turn the computer off and your good, if you installed an OS, use DBAN to wipe it out.
Activity: 560
How do I know if my wallet is corrupted? It's a stupid question, but I'd rather be on the safe side before I start sending out my vanity-addresses to people.
staff
Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203
I support freedom of choice
Ok, I just checked, I confirm that C:\programmi is a "link" on the italian "windows 7", but it's a real "folder" on italian "windows xp".
Pages:
Jump to: