Pages:
Author

Topic: RE: "The root causes of mental illness." - page 2. (Read 2477 times)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250
Inactive
Cbeast:

I love the term mental illness. It sells a lot of books. Personally, I don't believe it exists. What we perceive as depression, delusion, ADD (bullshit), schizophrenia (most diagnoses are inconclusive), etc. is nothing but our inability to cope with our own weaknesses in helping each other.

Smoke you, you blind bigot.

The suffering I've seen from delusions and hallucinations can not be simply faked. To deny its existence is to admit you have no regard for these people, which I will not question.
he did not say faking. only that your delusions happen because you can't cope. he just rejects the term "mental illness", and replaces it with "inability to cope".

now please fuck off this forum, you are useless, and nobody likes you here. if what you have postulated in a lot of other threads(that you are a grate guy IRL), you don't need this forum to like you either.

On 'the inability to cope.'  If one believes that the most serious mental illnesses are a fabrication of the highest levels of the executive center or consciousness then you need to spend some time in the psych ward of the local hospital.  Those are mostly people with real problems.  Serious problems of structure and/or signaling of the brain. 

Now, for non acute mental illness the inability to cope due to perception and expectations may be a factor.  But to give a blanket explanation for mental illness is truly asinine.

Reading up on the workings of the brain begins to give one an idea of how easily the highest levels of consciousness can be persuaded and corrupted by various phenomenon that are not at all or not entirely under the control of consciousness.

Activity: 728
Merit: 500
Atlas, let me just say this. I actually like you and your posts, you seem like someone who is interested in learning/growing/expanding horizons with a big mouth. If that is true you will realize in 1 year that you didn't know shit the year before, then the same thing will happen again 1 year later, etc until you die. As long as you aren't stubborn and can learn from mistakes you'll be fine, just don't burn bridges in pursuit of whatever your current ideals happen to be. That is how people who like to make things happen ("doers") get fucked over.

I agree that pretty much noone knows wtf they are talking about most of the time. This is the human condition, everyone is making it up as they go along, no matter how confident they act they fall asleep at night despite uncertainty.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

My cause...: It is for every individual...

Interesting.

Dare I clarify the irony/hypocrisy?
Activity: 11
Merit: 0
This personal cause of mine is what defines my point:

When we begin to see some traits of others as universal problems, we begin to deny the natural sources of our very evolution. Successfully eliminating what some deem unwanted will create an inbred organism only of the subjective whims of a few tyrants.

If this end be inevitable, so be it. However, I shall remain the greatest enemy of it! I shall remain the greatest enemy of every higher power that opposes my cause.

My cause is simple: It is for every individual to pursue their causes (or lack of one) as they wish.

This may require many nations and great decentralization but I find it preferable to an inbred state of affairs in politics, culture and genetics through a globalized and centralized world.

This centralized world may need to form and collapse in order to prove my point. So be it! However, again, I will be the greatest enemy to its existence!
At this time, I wish to state that man is a constantly evolving species:

Mutations will arrive, so will new ideas, new individuals and new moralities.

These game changers, these blasphemers, heretics will be considered threats; terrorists.

I, myself, see them as a necessary part of any system that will sustain. I am here to represent them and give them a good name. They will bring our reality a step forward to a new tomorrow, something that a "common ground" and "unity" cannot stand above.
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002
I embrace my suffering as if it were art. I have no desire for it to be gone.

I will contemplate your statements. I will "listen" at this time.

At another time and at another thread, we will debate this thoroughly.

It is always a pleasure to speak with you, my friend. You're valuable and certainly one-of-a-kind.

No, I'll prefer if you debate it here. No need for another thread. This one is unlocked now.
Let's not spread the Atlas cancer any further. Let's contain it in this thread only Grin
You made a RE: thread to his thread, so now you better debate the matter with him. No thread locking allowed.
I embrace my suffering as if it were art. I have no desire for it to be gone.

I will contemplate your statements. I will "listen" at this time.

At another time and at another thread, we will debate this thoroughly.

It is always a pleasure to speak with you, my friend. You're valuable and certainly one-of-a-kind.
legendary
I will spare us both the anquish of deconstructing these statements of yours:

I have never met an individual so stuck in his own mind, with such a lack of empathy for the experience and perception of others.

I am led to believe you think all men perceive in the same way. The concept of the individual is totally alien to you.

If not, its a concept that you reduce to a unwanted animal.

Lastly, it is irrelevant if a man's perception is not consistent. It is assumed he remains one viewpoint. One being. Whether he is a different being or not is of mere opinion.

As for your "science", it remains as consistent as the academia and individuals that behold it. It is not god. It is not objective.

Reality is all that is in the mind of the individual: It is not consistent. Those who attempt to make it so will inevitably fall to self-destruction along with the death of many.

It's obvious from this post that you didn't really read anything I said in my thread.

Oh but I did, sir, and all I found was that you interpret the individuals you mold as a universal testament to your success.

That, my friend, does not sway me.

If anything, this post of yours is only testament to a lack of comprehension of my post and its point.

You are so blinded to the concepts I evoke that it's astonishing.

I promote agency in human affairs. You espouse some frankenstein of a commutative hivemind.  

All I am is an enemy to your cause of quantifying all human subjects into one book.

No,  I once held your viewpoints and I found out the hard way that they suck.  Is it more important to you that I understand your sadness or that you understand happiness?  

The slippery slope:  when people with mental health issues give advice and support to others with mental health issues.  If you're fat, do you want to sit in a group with other fat people talking about what it's like to be fat and how nobody understands what it's like to be fat, or would you rather go to a personal trainer who knows what the hell he's doing?  You understand mental illness.  Great.  But if you do, don't talk as though you know what works to treat mental illnesses unless you've done it yourself.  I've done that, Atlas.  I'm better now.  I fixed me.  Have you?

I've seen my model work for me and I've seen it work for others.  After 10+ years of intense study and philosophical masturbation, I've found that my model is reasonable.  I've seen overwhelming scientific evidence to support it.  It works.

Your notion that I "quantify all human subjects into one book" is completely off-base and that is why I believe you didn't really read anything I said in my thread.  You forget the parts where I mentioned that it is important to consider individual circumstance.  But, you would have to be a fool to believe that each individual is utterly independent of every other and that no common ground exists between us.  You're butchering logic and you butchered the message of my thread.  You're in denial when you say that you're not stubborn.

You've admitted before you promote chaos.  And then you wonder why I can't agree with what you're saying.  Damn dude.  Listen up, you could learn something.

I have never met an individual so stuck in his own mind, with such a lack of empathy for the experience and perception of others.

I am led to believe you think all men perceive in the same way. The concept of the individual is totally alien to you.

Lastly, it is irrelevant if a man's perception is not consistent. It is assumed he remains one viewpoint. One being. Whether he is a different being or not is of mere opinion.

As for your "science", it remains as consistent as the academia and individuals that behold it. It is not god. It is not objective.

Reality is all that is in the mind of the individual: It is not consistent. Those who attempt to make it so will inevitably fall to self-destruction along with the death of many.

It's obvious from this post that you didn't really read anything I said in my thread.

Oh but I did, sir, and all I found was that you interpret the individuals you mold as a universal testament to your success.

That, my friend, does not sway me.

If anything, this post of yours is only testament to a lack of comprehension of my post and its point.

You are so blinded to the concepts I evoke that it's astonishing.

I promote agency in human affairs. You espouse some frankenstein of a commutative hivemind.  

All I am is an enemy to your cause of quantifying all human subjects into one book that is your subjective viewpoint.

Your cause is to control and mold all beings to your liking. You call this fixing.

I call for individuals to represent their personal causes and desires in their own way through their own methods.

I promote freedom through the agent. You promote conformity through your subjective ideals.
legendary

legendary

You are only your own perception. No brain digging and psycho-analysis can change that.

What about what is self-evident?  I think it's self-evident that I observe and that I observe things that are not me.

Let's break down your sentence:

You (subject) are (2nd person 'to be') only your own perception (object).  

Identity implies stability over time.  If you "are only your perception," and if your perception changes, then accordingly your identity changes.  So, if your perception changes, how can you be the same you?

You just contradicted yourself.

legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002
You're mentally ill, Atlas?

No shit, Sherlock!...
Activity: 588
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet
Listening to Atlas is the root cause of mental illness.
legendary
Atlas, for the record I was diagnosed with OCD, GAD, and I easily met the criteria for clinical depression when I was in my late-teens/early-20s.

It is by the method I outlined in my thread that I have overcome all of them.

I look for 3 things in a therapeutic approach:
1)  Is it logical?  Does it make sense?
2)  Is there scientific evidence to support the model?  Can it be tested and can the results be replicated?
3)  Do I have experiential evidence of its effectiveness?  Has it worked for me or have I seen it work for others?

This is the golden trio.  I fully believe that my model prescribed in my thread fits all 3 of these. 
Activity: 770
You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS  

donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
Genuinely, you bring me pleasure as well. I value you. I admire you for who you are

Any contradiction is mere emotion.
Don't knock emotion. It is the neurochemical weather cycle of our brain and nervous system.
Genuinely, you bring me pleasure as well. I value you. I admire you for who you are

Any contradiction is mere emotion.
donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
You misunderstand me. When I say "mental illness...is nothing but our inability to cope with our own weaknesses in helping each other" I mean that we are all culpable in not recognizing the needs of people failing to cope with this insane society.

I did not dismiss real organic problems, but these should not be lumped into the industry of mental illness. They are medical issues.

As far as delusions go, hey what ever gets you through the day. Just don't impose them on me by force and in return I will help you see through them to clarity.

I love you too.
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000
You are WRONG!
Cbeast:

I love the term mental illness. It sells a lot of books. Personally, I don't believe it exists. What we perceive as depression, delusion, ADD (bullshit), schizophrenia (most diagnoses are inconclusive), etc. is nothing but our inability to cope with our own weaknesses in helping each other.

Smoke you, you blind bigot.

The suffering I've seen from delusions and hallucinations can not be simply faked. To deny its existence is to admit you have no regard for these people, which I will not question.
he did not say faking. only that your delusions happen because you can't cope. he just rejects the term "mental illness", and replaces it with "inability to cope".

now please fuck off this forum, you are useless, and nobody likes you here. if what you have postulated in a lot of other threads(that you are a grate guy IRL), you don't need this forum to like you either.

People cope with their delusions everyday. That does not make them disappear.

Anyways, I reject your latter opinion in its entirety.
fine then, stay on the forum if you like. im going to ignore you. please continue on living your sad useless life. have a nice day.
Pages:
Jump to: