Pages:
Author

Topic: Read this before having an opinion on economics - page 15. (Read 25907 times)

Activity: 504
Merit: 252
Elder Crypto God
A short essay around 10 pages long is the most that anyone has time for.

That's perfectly fine. It's not a crime to remain ignorant of economics. However, these people that can't be bothered to educate themselves have no business opining on economic issues. They can't have it both ways.

"I'm too busy to read but here's my stupid uneducated opinion."
legendary
Activity: 1222
Merit: 1016
Live and Let Live
'It's brief' my ass
Maybe this is more your speed.  Grin

Look, If I asked my friends to read Economics in One Lesson, they would go 'what do you think I am? somebody with spare time?'

A short essay around 10 pages long is the most that anyone has time for.  It needs to have graphs and diagrams to explain some of the more complex features, not just large blocks of text.
Elder Crypto God
Unfortunately this book is about as valuable as a teaching book for economics as Das Kapital. If what it says is in line with what you already wanted to believe, you'll love it. If not it's just political propaganda.

I disagree. Most people understand the broken window fallacy. This book shows them how that same reasoning applies to other things like price controls, protective tariffs, minimum wage laws, rent control, etc. If you understand the broken window fallacy, you'll be forced to agree with the other arguments presented. It's taking something that people implicitly believe and making it explicit. That's the most powerful educational tool there is.

Of course, that requires intellectual honesty. If people are just being closed-minded then your analysis holds.
legendary
Activity: 1284
Merit: 1001
Unfortunately this book is about as valuable as a teaching book for economics as Das Kapital. If what it says is in line with what you already wanted to believe, you'll love it. If not it's just political propaganda.
Elder Crypto God
Do you have something against IP?

Intellectual property laws are incompatible with Libertarianism.

'It's brief' my ass

Maybe this is more your speed.  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1222
Merit: 1016
Live and Let Live
Economics in One Lesson: http://www.hacer.org/pdf/Hazlitt00.pdf

It's a great read. It's brief. It doesn't go into a lot of technical detail but it does illustrate a central fallacy that many people, even some economists, make when thinking about economics. If you haven't read this book, I'm going to assume you're ignorant about economics until proven otherwise.

'It's brief' my ass
legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000
Quote from: Henry Hazlitt
From this aspect, therefore, the whole of economics can be reduced to a single lesson, and that lesson can be reduced to a single sentence.  The art of economics consists in looking not merely at the immediate but at the longer effects of any act or policy;  it consists in tracing the consequences of that policy not merely for one group but for all groups.

I can't help but find the premise of this thread to be hilariously ironic.

Quote from: bitcoin2cash
Quote from: benjamindees
Quote from:  bitcoin2cash
I can be evicted by the owner of any owned property.  If you're on my property and refuse to leave after being asked, you're trespassing. You're the aggressor, not me.

What if you are a child and the owner is your family?  Still apply?

Of course it applies. Nobody is forced to care for their children, even with our current system.
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 1360
Armory Developer
Remember, folks...

Mises.org's books are free(well, the digital edition at least) thanks to the hardworking anti-intellectual property movement.

P.S. We need a bitcoin address for mises.org.

Do you have something against IP?
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
Remember, folks...

Mises.org's books are free(well, the digital edition at least) thanks to the hardworking anti-intellectual property movement.

A bitcoin address for LewRockwell.com would be good as well (guy who founded mises institute).
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1014
Remember, folks...

Activity: 145
Merit: 100

It's a great read. It's brief. It doesn't go into a lot of technical detail but it does illustrate a central fallacy that many people, even some economists, make when thinking about economics. If you haven't read this book, I'm going to assume you're ignorant about economics until proven otherwise.

I usually recommend Economics for Real People ( http://mises.org/books/econforrealpeople.pdf )

I think it comes off as less paranoid, even though I agree that One Lesson is sound.
Elder Crypto God

Pages:
Jump to: