Pages:
Author

Topic: Reddit’s science forum banned climate deniers. - page 28. (Read 636443 times)

Activity: 826
Merit: 500
Join @Bountycloud for the best bounties!
So, to answer your question, I 'get my data' from a wide range of sources, but use my own mental library of observations and methods of thesis to discriminate it.

You didn't answer. I mean you maybe try to answer but you don't.
My questions were "what do you consider a reliable source information" and "where do you get your data from"

Your answer is "I spend a fair bit of time (because I have it) reading up on a pretty broad swath of topics (because I enjoy it.) "
So you read things. Great. And where does the data come from?
Because again all the climate change-skeptics I see here tell me that my sources aren't reliable. So where do you find your data??? What institution or media or newspaper or whatever do you consider as reliable?

Basically I don't often need datasets because I don't do original research.  People who do think they need datasets are probably wrong and would not have the slightest idea of what they mean or what to do with them.

What I need to have a sense of whether a researcher is basing their work on appropriate datasets.  For this, I basically rely on the researcher themselves as much as anything, and I choose to rely on a researcher's means and motives.  If, say, Judith Curry publishes something on her blog I'll tend to take it seriously and study it more carefully.  Also I tend to spend a good bit of time going through the discussion threads.

https://judithcurry.com/2014/07/07/understanding-adjustments-to-temperature-data/

After witnessing such obvious fraud and opacity prevalent in the climate change hoax, it is easy from the 'denier' side to write off all adjustments as scams.  This oversimplifies the very legitimate need to do adjustments.  As I've often stated here, the biggest sin that the Warmunistas have perpetrated is in making real scientific understanding vastly more complex and difficult than it was already.  It is more and more obvious that it serves their political and professional interests to do just this because they are trying to base their higher goals on a scientific fraud.

Dr. Curry, like others, have achieved little but professional grief for their outside the party line positions as best I can tell in my research.  On the contrary, researchers who tow the line are academically and financially rewarded.  I suspect that ultimately the 'heretics' such as Curry will be remembered as the Galileo of their times, but in the mean time they get a lot of grief.

If you are interested, here is a site which is reputed to be a usable site for obtaining datasets:  http://www.climate4you.com/
I've not used the resource much in part because I've not bitten off the task of turning data into a meaningful synthesis (which would benefit by the equiv of a graduate degree and several years of focused study.)

You almost do not need all those facts when you have fools posting here claiming a "correlation" between temperature and co2.

Let's just call them on it.

Show the correlation coefficient between 20th century temperatures and co2.

Go.

I love when climate skeptics ask for facts that's the best aprt of the game! Exactly like for flat earth believers  Grin

So you asked for a proof of correlation?
https://skepticalscience.com/The-correlation-between-CO2-and-temperature.html
http://www.climatecentral.org/gallery/graphics/co2-and-rising-global-temperatures

Or you can do it yourself with original data:
http://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/carbon-dioxide/
http://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/global-temperature/

Of course all that only prove correlation and anyone claiming more than correlation to be proven is not telling the exact truth. Fact is that we see a correlation and a fucking good one. We also know what COULD be the cause, we can explain a link between Co2 ant temperature, explaining isn't proving though. But to prove it is nearly impossible as the climate system is something so complex that we basically can't have a perfect modelisation for it and I don't need to precise that experiments are out of the question no?
So, to answer your question, I 'get my data' from a wide range of sources, but use my own mental library of observations and methods of thesis to discriminate it.

My questions were "what do you consider a reliable source information" and "where do you get your data from"

Your answer is "I spend a fair bit of time (because I have it) reading up on a pretty broad swath of topics (because I enjoy it.) "
Because again all the climate change-skeptics I see here tell me that my sources aren't reliable. So where do you find your data??? What institution or media or newspaper or whatever do you consider as reliable?

Basically I don't often need datasets because I don't do original research.  People who do think they need datasets are probably wrong and would not have the slightest idea of what they mean or what to do with them.

What I need to have a sense of whether a researcher is basing their work on appropriate datasets.  For this, I basically rely on the researcher themselves as much as anything, and I choose to rely on a researcher's means and motives.  If, say, Judith Curry publishes something on her blog I'll tend to take it seriously and study it more carefully.  Also I tend to spend a good bit of time going through the discussion threads.

https://judithcurry.com/2014/07/07/understanding-adjustments-to-temperature-data/

After witnessing such obvious fraud and opacity prevalent in the climate change hoax, it is easy from the 'denier' side to write off all adjustments as scams.  This oversimplifies the very legitimate need to do adjustments.  As I've often stated here, the biggest sin that the Warmunistas have perpetrated is in making real scientific understanding vastly more complex and difficult than it was already.  It is more and more obvious that it serves their political and professional interests to do just this because they are trying to base their higher goals on a scientific fraud.

Dr. Curry, like others, have achieved little but professional grief for their outside the party line positions as best I can tell in my research.  On the contrary, researchers who tow the line are academically and financially rewarded.  I suspect that ultimately the 'heretics' such as Curry will be remembered as the Galileo of their times, but in the mean time they get a lot of grief.

If you are interested, here is a site which is reputed to be a usable site for obtaining datasets:  http://www.climate4you.com/
I've not used the resource much in part because I've not bitten off the task of turning data into a meaningful synthesis (which would benefit by the equiv of a graduate degree and several years of focused study.)

Well my problem here is that as interesting as you links can be, I don't see difference of quality with the sources I can provide.

So please stop just saying that "this source is shit" or prove it. It doesn't help any kind of debate in any way! If you have legitimate doubts on sources I'm providing feel free to expose and explain thos doubts but just saying that what I'm saying is shit because the data I have come from a website which is plain shit isn't exactly what I would call a constructive argument.
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1386

You almost do not need all those facts when you have fools posting here claiming a "correlation" between temperature and co2.

Let's just call them on it.

Show the correlation coefficient between 20th century temperatures and co2.

Go.

legendary
Activity: 4690
Merit: 1276

legendary

Pffft.  skepticalscience.com is a joke.  Even their name.  Typical carbon-tax scammers in all ways, and especially in their leaning on censorship to cover for their lack of 'science'.  I find Murry Salby to be much more rigorous and credible.

Skepsci is a propaganda operation, no more or less.

I'm curious...

Could you people please define what is a reliable source of information?

Because when I read you I get that:
Independent sites like skeptical science are a joke
Private medias like "Le Monde Diplomatique" are a joke
Popular medias like CNN are a joke
Governmental or international institutes like NASA are a joke

Where do you get your data from then?

Since you ask...

I spend a fair bit of time (because I have it) reading up on a pretty broad swath of topics (because I enjoy it.)  Most of this stuff cannot be fully understood using a narrow focus since it has a lot of overlap.

These topic run the gamut of politics, geo-politics, economics, sociology, science, history, etc, etc.

In addition to reading/watching what others put out, I also in my own mind play around with all of the things I've taken in.  Or as many as my mental ability allows at least.  Pretty standard hypothesis testing produces theories which are strong because most or all of the pieces from the broad ranging exploration fall into place.

There are some pretty basic tools from a well worn toolbox which can be applied to such efforts.  Among them, 'null hypothesis testing', 'cui bono', 'means, motive, and opportunity'.

Whatsupwiththat.com is pretty much the #1 climate blog, variety of topics, some skeptics hang out there.
Activity: 255
Merit: 250
It is now -16 degrees Celsius. Cold! What is this warming? It seems to me that there is no warming is actually there. Scientists earn money on the grants of the government imposes new taxes and also earn money. That's the whole Scam.

Pffft.  skepticalscience.com is a joke.  Even their name.  Typical carbon-tax scammers in all ways, and especially in their leaning on censorship to cover for their lack of 'science'.  I find Murry Salby to be much more rigorous and credible.

I'm curious...

Since you ask...

I spend a fair bit of time (because I have it) reading up on a pretty broad swath of topics (because I enjoy it.)  Most of this stuff cannot be fully understood using a narrow focus since it has a lot of overlap.

These topic run the gamut of politics, geo-politics, economics, sociology, science, history, etc, etc.

In addition to reading/watching what others put out, I also in my own mind play around with all of the things I've taken in.  Or as many as my mental ability allows at least.  Pretty standard hypothesis testing produces theories which are strong because most or all of the pieces from the broad ranging exploration fall into place.

There are some pretty basic tools from a well worn toolbox which can be applied to such efforts.  Among them, 'null hypothesis testing', 'cui bono', 'means, motive, and opportunity'.

legendary

I'm curious...

Since you ask...

Activity: 518
Merit: 254
★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

I'm curious...

I think it's safe to go to those who actually do it. Like research institutes or something. But then again it makes me wonder, do actual agencies and legitimate offices post updates and news somewhere? Like their own public website or something?

I'm curious...

legendary

legendary
What is your explanation for the uniquely extreme increase of CO2 in the atmosphere, never seen before, and it's correlation to the extreme rise in surface temperature over the last 50-100 years? Coincidence?

CO2 lags temp.  The temp increase took a pause from about 20 years ago and CO2 is catching up.  Nothing especially mysterious about it, and nothing especially scary about 400 parts per million...it's still a trace gas and we are in geological terms at very low concentrations.  In trace concentrations it is easier for large percentage swings to occur.  Plants are much happier now.

Read my post again, I addressed the CO2 lag:

I understand that the Earth's temperature has fluctuated a lot more in the past than it is now, but never with the same correlation of CO2 concentration in the atmosphere.
I also understand that the concentration of CO2 has often lagged behind the temperature changes in the past, but as I understand it this is a two way street - if the CO2 concentration gets too high, too quickly, it can certainly cause warming and a feedback loop. Just because this hasn't happened in the past doesn't mean it isn't happening now.

This article gives a solid case for why it might not be as simple as "CO2 lags temperature, therefore CO2 cannot cause a rise in temperature" : https://www.skepticalscience.com/co2-lags-temperature-intermediate.htm

legendary
Activity: 1188
Merit: 1016
What is your explanation for the uniquely extreme increase of CO2 in the atmosphere, never seen before, and it's correlation to the extreme rise in surface temperature over the last 50-100 years? Coincidence?

CO2 lags temp.  The temp increase took a pause from about 20 years ago and CO2 is catching up.  Nothing especially mysterious about it, and nothing especially scary about 400 parts per million...it's still a trace gas and we are in geological terms at very low concentrations.  In trace concentrations it is easier for large percentage swings to occur.  Plants are much happier now.

Read my post again, I addressed the CO2 lag:

I understand that the Earth's temperature has fluctuated a lot more in the past than it is now, but never with the same correlation of CO2 concentration in the atmosphere.
I also understand that the concentration of CO2 has often lagged behind the temperature changes in the past, but as I understand it this is a two way street - if the CO2 concentration gets too high, too quickly, it can certainly cause warming and a feedback loop. Just because this hasn't happened in the past doesn't mean it isn't happening now.

This article gives a solid case for why it might not be as simple as "CO2 lags temperature, therefore CO2 cannot cause a rise in temperature" : https://www.skepticalscience.com/co2-lags-temperature-intermediate.htm
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1251
Reddit is very cautious about the posts in their site. It is a possibility that the post in global warming as caused by humans is not very substantial. If thats the case the reason is very legit. But if your opinion is correct then possibly reddit is being controlled by multinationals especially the oil producing industries that has a big contribution to air pollution and global warming.

If you really believe that an information dissemination campaign is necessary then you should make a blog and recruit concern citizens to spread this important news around the globe. Remember, many heads is better than one.
How you can find a lot of supporters of this theory if in my country now -16 degrees Celsius. Do not believe it! Those who received from the government grant, and the cries about global warming, not to lose money.

OK here is a very little lesson for you:

Global warming = average rise of temperature. It doesn't mean it's rising EVERYWHERE.
In fact models show that global warming could lead to a new Ice age for occidental countries and especially Europe because of the stop of Golfstream.

As you can see the temperature is rising ON AVERAGE which doesn't mean you can't get extreme cold where you live:
http://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/global-temperature/

Global warming leads to more extreme weather, extreme cold is one of them.
Activity: 197
Merit: 100
Reddit is very cautious about the posts in their site. It is a possibility that the post in global warming as caused by humans is not very substantial. If thats the case the reason is very legit. But if your opinion is correct then possibly reddit is being controlled by multinationals especially the oil producing industries that has a big contribution to air pollution and global warming.

If you really believe that an information dissemination campaign is necessary then you should make a blog and recruit concern citizens to spread this important news around the globe. Remember, many heads is better than one.
How you can find a lot of supporters of this theory if in my country now -16 degrees Celsius. Do not believe it! Those who received from the government grant, and the cries about global warming, not to lose money.
Activity: 994
Merit: 544

Activity: 448
Merit: 250
[img]http://assets.climatecentral.org/images....

Of the hottest years on record, 15 out of 17 have come since 2000. By contrast, more than a century has gone by since the planet had a record cold year (1911). In addition, this marks 39 years in a row with above average global temperatures and 372 months in a row with global temperatures above average.

I certainly hope the new administration will put a halt to this pro-global-warming hysterical propaganda in the first 100 days.

Read the following carefully.

If after a year or two of the OBVIOUS PROPAGANDA and lies having been stopped, un pressured and objective scientific discussion indicates us bad boys are the cause of the nightmarish fiery doom these wackos say is inevitable, then I will accept it.

For now, no.  Fuck your bullshit.

So you admit that the warming is real? That's funny, last time I remember discussing this with you I seem to remember you claiming that the data was false because the measurement methods were taken from the surface, rather than from the atmosphere.

So to get this straight, you're now claiming that the warming IS real, but humans are not responsible?

Pretty much.

That's the only argument of climate skeptical people. That all observations are just correlation and no cause-consequences proven facts.

Which is perfectly true, but the problem is that all climate question are global chaotic problems! So you just CANT prove anything 100%. You can only create models for experiments, you can't create a new planet on the side juste to check if what you think is real...

So as nothing can be 100% proven, logic would lead to at least take this correlation as a serious matter...
legendary

Oh, BTW, I bought 'The Climate Hustle' vid.  It was actually pretty good.

I showed it to my fam who are hard-core progressives and have bought the climate scam hook, line, and sinker.  Even they admited that it was pretty good and eye-opening.

legendary

legendary
Activity: 1188
Merit: 1016
[img]http://assets.climatecentral.org/images....

Of the hottest years on record, 15 out of 17 have come since 2000. By contrast, more than a century has gone by since the planet had a record cold year (1911). In addition, this marks 39 years in a row with above average global temperatures and 372 months in a row with global temperatures above average.

I certainly hope the new administration will put a halt to this pro-global-warming hysterical propaganda in the first 100 days.

Read the following carefully.

If after a year or two of the OBVIOUS PROPAGANDA and lies having been stopped, un pressured and objective scientific discussion indicates us bad boys are the cause of the nightmarish fiery doom these wackos say is inevitable, then I will accept it.

For now, no.  Fuck your bullshit.

So you admit that the warming is real? That's funny, last time I remember discussing this with you I seem to remember you claiming that the data was false because the measurement methods were taken from the surface, rather than from the atmosphere.

So to get this straight, you're now claiming that the warming IS real, but humans are not responsible?

Pages:
Jump to: