Pages:
Author

Topic: [RELEASE] Avalon Reference - page 3. (Read 17802 times)

Activity: 20
Merit: 0
May 12, 2013, 05:45:11 AM
So, after looking over the design and PCB and BOM of the ASIC, it seems that all that's needed to build a clone of Avalon s units is the FPGA firmware?  everything else seems to be online that's needed to the plans off to a PCB factory and get populated boards back.   I doubt at an individual level the costs of building a clone would be worth it, but if someone was building a large miner why wouldn't this be a better route to go then redesigning a whole new system
Activity: 52
Merit: 0
May 11, 2013, 03:52:49 PM
Well, it should be possible to read the bitstream from the flash chip on the control unit.
Someone with an Avalon just needs to do it ;-) (Maybe start a bounty?)

You'd think that if they want people to to make pcb/miners they'd release the bitstream and hdl source, right? Maybe it's just a matter of time. We are not overly anxious, right? Right? RIGHT?!?
donator
Activity: 543
Merit: 500
May 11, 2013, 01:18:43 PM
Well, it should be possible to read the bitstream from the flash chip on the control unit.
Someone with an Avalon just needs to do it ;-) (Maybe start a bounty?)
Activity: 250
Merit: 100
RockStable Token Inc
May 11, 2013, 01:11:57 PM
If Yifu Guo also provides the bitstream for the Spartan-6 chip, then we're done.  Grin
donator
Activity: 543
May 11, 2013, 12:39:38 PM
The only thing missing is the FPGA bitstream, right? (At least I couldn't find it.)
legendary
Activity: 1600
Merit: 1014
May 11, 2013, 11:02:50 AM
Maybe the uploaded data is not the latest revision? Also one screw-hole is missing on the hash unit.
Anyhow, nobody should use it without really understanding it - and this is not so difficult in this case. The know-how hardly lies in the PCB's in this case.
mrb
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027
May 11, 2013, 10:33:41 AM
Weird, on the hash unit, the SS34 diode is missing from the schematic (PDF).
Activity: 476
Merit: 262
EOSABC
May 11, 2013, 07:21:53 AM
Much appreciated Yifu.  

We would also appreciate it if, due to the enormously time-sensitive nature of receiving Batch #2 or Batch #3 units, you gave us some kind of option to expedite shipping.  It's been >90 days since my order and I feel my brain literally melting each day that goes by.

+1
Activity: 74
Merit: 10
May 11, 2013, 03:27:29 AM
...there are some FPGA circuits, they should be programmed I think so.
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
May 10, 2013, 11:14:55 PM
Anyone have an idea how much sample chips will be send for a batch of 10.000 chips?

Speculating here... but my guess is a minimum of 32 and a maximum of 100, per 10K order.

should be enough to make a couple of board to test and tweak.. any way hope they will send out the chip in a couple of weeks
Activity: 303
May 10, 2013, 02:27:29 PM
Anyone have an idea how much sample chips will be send for a batch of 10.000 chips?

Speculating here... but my guess is a minimum of 32 and a maximum of 100, per 10K order.
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
May 10, 2013, 02:25:01 PM
Activity: 648
May 10, 2013, 02:23:23 PM
It looks like I may be working with a PCB assembler in California... How does one get in line for a "test" chip?

Find someone who purchased a batch who's willing to give you one of their samples.
Activity: 604
Merit: 273
May 10, 2013, 02:15:39 PM
It looks like I may be working with a PCB assembler in California... How does one get in line for a "test" chip?
May 10, 2013, 01:57:00 PM
Can someone with enough knowledge tell me if a user that has avalon chips, can take this plans and let a company create a miner for him? Is it possible or is more needed?

Can it be done DIY, if you manage to get the parts?

And the software, firmware and so on is it freely available? I guess the miners that run with avalons would run with this miner too, right?

Today/this weekend, I'm going to investigate the building out of units based precisely on the reference design, and see if it'd be worth it to organize a group buy. This is hopefully assuming that Bitsyncom will be providing software. I haven't had a chance to look at the schematics in depth, but I didn't see a microcontroller, but rather an FPGA. Reverse-engineering what's happening inside it would probably prove to be a major pain.

An fpga sound expensive. The other miner developers dont need one. For example the klondike-project (see my signature). So im really wondering if the alternate design will be cheaper than the original one at the end. Interesting this all...

Yes, the FPGA is an expensive part of the original Avalon design. Should the Klondike solution successfully eliminate the need for one, the miner cost will go down.

Thanks for the information...Now we have a lot of work for the weekend  Grin Grin Grin

When will you release some chips for developers ?!

Sample chips will be sent out 4 weeks after batch purchase.
Activity: 404
Merit: 270
May 10, 2013, 01:39:39 PM
Thanks for the information...Now we have a lot of work for the weekend  Grin Grin Grin

When will you release some chips for developers ?!
May 10, 2013, 01:19:21 PM
Can someone with enough knowledge tell me if a user that has avalon chips, can take this plans and let a company create a miner for him? Is it possible or is more needed?

And the software, firmware and so on is it freely available? I guess the miners that run with avalons would run with this miner too, right?

Today/this weekend, I'm going to investigate the building out of units based precisely on the reference design, and see if it'd be worth it to organize a group buy. This is hopefully assuming that Bitsyncom will be providing software. I haven't had a chance to look at the schematics in depth, but I didn't see a microcontroller, but rather an FPGA. Reverse-engineering what's happening inside it would probably prove to be a major pain.

An fpga sound expensive. The other miner developers dont need one. For example the klondike-project (see my signature). So im really wondering if the alternate design will be cheaper than the original one at the end. Interesting this all...

It's just for control and data pre-processing. It's not for hashing.

$24.27/pc in single quantities.
http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dksearch/dksus.dll?vendor=0&keywords=XC6SLX16-2FTG256C&stock=1
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082
Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile
May 10, 2013, 01:16:56 PM

May 10, 2013, 01:16:26 PM

I am currently working on pricing based on the layout. What's needed is the bom. The com protocol and software are needed to verify the design, and have been promised shortly.

Once all the info has been released I will have numbers for assembled clones.
May 10, 2013, 01:10:35 PM

Pages:
Jump to: