Pages:
Author

Topic: ripple: let's test it! - page 27. (Read 43925 times)

pof
Activity: 204
Merit: 100
February 22, 2013, 05:00:14 PM
Alright so I "deposit" 1000xrp and into Bitstamp and now I have no idea where it is.  Any help folks? 

The ripple forums are strangely quiet except for Cialas sales and private detectives. hmmm

You can't deposit XRP on bitstamp, only BTC or fiat currencies. I suggest you to ask bitstamp support.
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003
February 22, 2013, 04:56:57 PM
I just signed up, can someone send me a few XRP to get started?
rNexqWdz7q16e6PPBDsD2XxxzFS64SAEYS

also how do I trust someone else?
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1020
February 22, 2013, 04:27:19 PM
so what happens if bitstamp gets hacked (again). we are all screwed?

Yes, of course. Same if you had a BitStamp account. Trust means possibility of failure. That's why you can limit your exposure to any issuer.

well, if I had a bitstamp account and would buy some coins and would sell them to someone....  then he would have the coins however hacked bitstamp would get.

that's why ripple needs an integrated proof of work coin to succeed.
bpd
Activity: 114
Merit: 10
February 22, 2013, 04:09:28 PM
I am starting to wrap my head around this thing...

Ok, but what is the point?

I mean; what can you do with ripple that you can't do already with other solutions?

You can trade USD claims for BTC claims or vice versa, at a distance, irreversibly, without involving a third party, or the blockchain.

And how do you do it?

Why would the founder of Mt.Gox build a system that makes Mt.Gox "obsolete"?

The founder of MtGox no longer owns MtGox. Also, it doesn't make MtGox obsolete. MtGox still performs the important function of price discovery.

Why doesent Mt.Gox have a ripple address?

Maybe they haven't gotten to it yet?
bpd
February 22, 2013, 04:06:19 PM
so what happens if bitstamp gets hacked (again). we are all screwed?

Yes, of course. Same if you had a BitStamp account. Trust means possibility of failure. That's why you can limit your exposure to any issuer.
legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000
Bitcoin
February 22, 2013, 03:49:01 PM
My ripple address: rKfd86S25PUdVquk41xedH5jNX4bZ8DiA7
I will add you bbit and grant 1 USD trust

Likewise.

One question: When you send or receive does it show the other users your Ripple account name, the contact name, or the Ripple address if they don't have you as a contact?
I sent 10 XRP to Akka, can you send me a few to see how your contact name comes up on my Ripple acct?

Good, question was wondering the same thing. I just signed up on Bitstamp to see if I can try all this for real also.  I'll send you some xrp's BitObsessed to see how this all works.

Umm....what does the -1 mean and the 0 in the middle? lol... this is after I trusted you with $1 USD.

The -1 is because the trust has been extended in both directions.  So, at the extremes, you could be owed $1 by him OR owe him $1 (or anywhere in between).  The 0 (current state) is where neither of you owes the other anything.

Thanks for the clarification.  So how does one "complete the circle of trust"  ?  If I give him one $1 then what happens?
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1020
February 22, 2013, 03:46:57 PM
Activity: 111
February 22, 2013, 03:16:50 PM
Alright so I "deposit" 1000xrp and into Bitstamp and now I have no idea where it is. It shows up no where on the Bitstamp UI. Any help folks? 

The ripple forums are strangely quiet except for Cialas sales and private detectives. hmmm

Anyone able to clue the clueless in here please?

Good question... Where is the XRP that gets deposited to BitStamp?

Come on am I really the only one that deposited XRP into Bitstamp just because I could. Smiley

I guess its time to officially stamp newb on the forehead.

You can't just give something to someone and have them sit on it... this seems like one of the only things you can do atm...
Activity: 182
February 22, 2013, 03:05:27 PM
Alright so I "deposit" 1000xrp and into Bitstamp and now I have no idea where it is. It shows up no where on the Bitstamp UI. Any help folks? 

Come on am I really the only one that deposited XRP into Bitstamp just because I could. Smiley

I guess its time to officially stamp newb on the forehead.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
February 22, 2013, 02:42:06 PM

Likewise.

One question: When you send or receive does it show the other users your Ripple account name, the contact name, or the Ripple address if they don't have you as a contact?
I sent 10 XRP to Akka, can you send me a few to see how your contact name comes up on my Ripple acct?

Good, question was wondering the same thing. I just signed up on Bitstamp to see if I can try all this for real also.  I'll send you some xrp's BitObsessed to see how this all works.

Umm....what does the -1 mean and the 0 in the middle? lol... this is after I trusted you with $1 USD.

The -1 is because the trust has been extended in both directions.  So, at the extremes, you could be owed $1 by him OR owe him $1 (or anywhere in between).  The 0 (current state) is where neither of you owes the other anything.
February 22, 2013, 02:38:37 PM
I want to join the fun.
Anyone want to trust me?
rJA6mGHsw5yCynLFRe3rjGqaCMk2YpmuMy
February 22, 2013, 02:33:31 PM

Activity: 291
Merit: 250
February 22, 2013, 02:28:24 PM
It is showing triples on my wallet.
legendary
Bitcoin
February 22, 2013, 02:22:43 PM
Works fine:

Good!

Also, Molecular was right about it doubling up:

bpd
February 22, 2013, 02:18:49 PM
I am starting to wrap my head around this thing...

I think the idea of extending small bits of trust to various people on the forum is fine but misguided, and is not really the way the system should be used. What we all should be doing is extending trust in BTC and USD to BitStamp (and other reputable businesses, but BitStamp seems to be the only gateway available at the moment)  Then it becomes easy to send USD or BTC to one another, because we all trust the same party (BitStamp).  The only way BitStamp is going to issue its IOUs into the system is if you deposit USD or BTC in a BitStamp account. So, assuming BitStamp is not operating on fractional reserve, all BitStamp USD or BTC in the Ripple system should be "backed" by actual USD or BTC sitting in BitStamp accounts.

Secondly, I think simply extending trust is not as scary as it initially sounds. If I extend 100 BTC of trust to BitStamp, I don't think I've done anything that can hurt me YET. All that does is allow BitStamp or anyone else to pay ME with "BitStamp BTC IOUs". If someone wants to send me BitStamp IOUs for free, great, no skin off my back!

It's only when I choose to actually trade something of value in exchange for these IOUs that I have the potential for loss. But that is completely independent of the trust granting step. If I choose to only trust BitStamp for 10 BTC, then I can NEVER receive any Ripple payment of more than 10 BTC, unless I choose to increase that trust level or to trust another gateway or Ripple user.

It's also worth pointing out that by depositing a balance of 10 BTC into a BitStamp account, I am IMPLICITLY trusting them to a level of "10 BitStamp BTC IOUs". All Ripple does is formalize that, and allow me to trade those units with others who also have formalized their trust for BitStamp in the Ripple system, without BitStamp itself being involved.

Ripple guys, please correct me if my understanding is mistaken.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001
February 22, 2013, 02:17:31 PM
Works fine:

Activity: 291
Merit: 250
February 22, 2013, 02:14:15 PM

Likewise.

Not quite sure yet, now it looks like this.  I am guessing you used $0.50 USD on something?

EDIT: Ah I see you changed the trust.  This is goofy as hell.  I am going to keep trying to learn, but not like I did with BTC back in the day staying up all night reading. LOL
Activity: 182
February 22, 2013, 02:13:37 PM

I'll find out myself what your going through in a few minutes as I sent some BTC to BitStamp and will convert it to xrp's at least thats what suppose to happen.
I'll keep peep's informed here. Also, who wants some XRP's? Like to test it out in 10 increments.

I am going the other way though. XRP->BTC (maybe), more to see what happened.  Didn't really think they would poof though.  Live and learn.
legendary
Bitcoin
February 22, 2013, 02:10:06 PM
Thx bbit.

Recived you XRP.

I have to confess, I still don't quite get it  Undecided

It is odd isn't it. Can't wrap my head around it. Also, I was able to "edit" the "trust" I gave BitObessed from $1 to .50 cents  how the heck is that going to work in real life? I'm assuming I can't edit (locked) it if the transacation is really going?  very confusing.

edit: Yes, hadn't sent you any yet! Tongue on it's way here. Let me know if my contact name shows up or how it looks on your end.

edit: Done!  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001
February 22, 2013, 02:07:44 PM
Thx bbit.

Recived you XRP.

I have to confess, I still don't quite get it  Undecided

Edit: Oh, they where from Bitobsessed. Now I have to fix my address-book.
Pages:
Jump to: