Pages:
Author

Topic: ripple: let's test it! - page 8. (Read 43853 times)

legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012
Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.
May 02, 2013, 01:13:28 PM
Is there any word on fixing the contacts bug?  I want to bring in more users, and it makes it difficult without the ability to add people, trust them, etc.
The bug has been found and fixed. Now all that's left is for it to go through QA and get pushed to the live servers, which can happen in a day.
Activity: 623
Merit: 11
Proof-of-Stake Blockchain Network
May 02, 2013, 12:58:52 PM
JoelKatz was not familiar with it when I had first posted.  He said "you must have been signed on from two computers - the only way that could happen"

Glad they are aware of it anyway - Thanks.
Yeah, I was not aware of it when you first posted. Since then, it's been happening to everyone, including me.

Hi JoelKatz,

Is there any word on fixing the contacts bug?  I want to bring in more users, and it makes it difficult without the ability to add people, trust them, etc.

legendary
April 29, 2013, 07:22:05 PM
JoelKatz was not familiar with it when I had first posted.  He said "you must have been signed on from two computers - the only way that could happen"

Yeah, I was not aware of it when you first posted. Since then, it's been happening to everyone, including me.
April 29, 2013, 06:15:37 PM
Its a bug. a regression. They are working to fix it.

Red
Activity: 210
Merit: 111
April 29, 2013, 02:59:47 PM
Its a bug. a regression. They are working to fix it.
April 29, 2013, 02:24:53 PM
The Ripple web client is not saving my contacts between sessions. Is it supposed to?
I'm using LocalBrowser mode. Is this why it initial wanted to store my blog on a server somewhere?

Or maybe I have a browser configuration option wrong somewhere.
I'm using Safari 6.0.3 on a OS X 10.8.3

+1

Mine doesn't either.  I am using Windows7 - Chrome

See  https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1924442

I have now recommended three new people to Ripple - sat and watched them sign up.  All had the same experience:

Add contacts/trust
Upon logging in for the second time, Contacts vaporized - gone.

(trust entries are still there, but only the ripple address - not the name)

legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090
April 28, 2013, 12:16:06 PM
No big deal, it just means you and your friend now have a permanent "joint account" you can both access/use. Smiley

-MarkM-
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1002
April 28, 2013, 11:59:09 AM
9 ) Someone resubmits some of your old transactions which are now valid again and your account is drained.

One possible solution would be to have some kind of efficient "dead accounts" structure in the ledger that would track deleted accounts so that they could never be re-created.

I guess this means my proposal to substitute the sequence with a hash has been ruled out.
Am I right?
Red
April 27, 2013, 04:28:52 PM
Thanks JoelKatz.

You just saved me asking you a lot of questions. That was related to what happened between me and my friend. I asked for his secret rather than his user/pass because it is rude to ask for user/pass. Too many people use reuse passwords on different services.

It's all good. He has his wallet back now. I funded him enough XRP to create a fresh new wallet. Just thought it was rude to leave (now-useless) ledger spam.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000
April 27, 2013, 02:41:58 PM
How do I send the entire balance to another account and close that ledger entry?

You can't send and leave the balance under 200XRP so you can only 50XRP
legendary
April 27, 2013, 03:38:26 PM
I am interested in how it breaks the wallet security model (slightly) though?
Here's one example:

1 ) You create a wallet.

2 ) You write down your secret.

3 ) You use the wallet. You create more than one account.

4 ) You delete one of the accounts you created.

5 ) Later, you lose your wallet. Good thing you wrote down the secret.

6 ) You create a new wallet with the same secret. Yay, all your funds are safe.

7 ) You create a new account, but since the account algorithm is deterministic, it's the same one you deleted in step 4.

8 ) You fund that account.

9 ) Someone resubmits some of your old transactions which are now valid again and your account is drained.

One possible solution would be to have some kind of efficient "dead accounts" structure in the ledger that would track deleted accounts so that they could never be re-created.
Red
April 27, 2013, 03:05:20 PM
The reserve lowered to 50, so you can send all but 50 XRP. Unfortunately, allowing an account to be completely deleted would break (though only slightly) our wallet security model.

OK, thanks! Such is life.

I am interested in how it breaks the wallet security model (slightly) though?
legendary
April 27, 2013, 03:02:22 PM
You can't send and leave the balance under 200XRP so you can only 50XRP
The reserve lowered to 50, so you can send all but 50 XRP. Unfortunately, allowing an account to be completely deleted would break (though only slightly) our wallet security model.
Red
April 27, 2013, 01:57:11 PM
I have a friend trying to active his wallet. I sent him 250 XRP but he says his Ripple client is reporting "Offline". He sent me his secret key and I can open the wallet from my machine.

Any idea what that might mean?

EDIT

He managed to get it to work from his laptop. But not his Galaxy Note 2.

How do I send the entire balance to another account and close that ledger entry? The wallet is not useful anymore now that two people have the "secret" right?
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
April 27, 2013, 01:50:43 PM
Whose ARS? As in, ARS issued by whom?
April 26, 2013, 02:26:16 PM
Another bug that happens from time to time - several entries for one order...

(the ARS = Argentine Pesos - we are trying to migrate a huge Bitcoin population to Ripple as the economy collapses here)
April 26, 2013, 02:20:41 PM
Some help please: I just created a wallet and have a few basic questions:
1. Does the wallet HAVE to be on their site? Can't it be a local one like bitcoin-qt?
You can change the storage to local. You can save your wallet in a file and load it from a file.

2. I posted my address on the forum to get some first coins and I'm waiting (hoping it works!). The other option in their site is to have another user send me 300 or more ripples. Why 300???
3. Is there any other way to get XRP? Any exchanges?
It used to be that 300 XRP was the practical minimum to open an account, create a pathway so your account could hold BTC, and then trade BTC for XRP. So with 300 XRP, you could buy all the XRP you wanted. The reserve levels lowered recently, so 100 XRP will do now.

You can buy XRP from Bitstamp, bitmit, xrptrader, and a few other places.

Thanks! So, once I get my first 100+ XRP, I can create a pathway and then trade BTC for XRP. Good, but what's a pathway???  Grin

I would like a step by step on that one.
I was able to save it to a file. How do I load my wallet from the file?
April 26, 2013, 02:16:02 PM
The Ripple web client is not saving my contacts between sessions. Is it supposed to?
I'm using LocalBrowser mode. Is this why it initial wanted to store my blog on a server somewhere?

Or maybe I have a browser configuration option wrong somewhere.
I'm using Safari 6.0.3 on a OS X 10.8.3

+1

Mine doesn't either.  I am using Windows7 - Chrome

See  https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1924442
legendary
April 26, 2013, 12:48:36 PM
Thanks! So, once I get my first 100+ XRP, I can create a pathway and then trade BTC for XRP. Good, but what's a pathway???  Grin
A pathway is permission for someone else to hold money for you (or owe you money, which is the same thing). Your account is yours. You get to decide who holds your money. If someone wants to send, say, 1 Bitcoin to your account, someone has to hold that Bitcoin for you and you must approve them. A Bitcoin pathway to Bitstamp allows Bitstamp to hold Bitcoins for you. This will allow people to pay you in Bitcoins by making Bitstamp owe you Bitcoins.

It's somewhat akin to opening a bank account. If I want to give you $50 through the conventional banking system, I transfer $50 from my bank account to your bank account. You consider me to have paid you $50 because I made your bank owe you $50 more. If you want a physical $50 bill, you go to your bank and withdraw it. But I can't just give the $50 to anyone to hold for you, you have to first choose to trust someone. Creating a pathway is somewhat akin to opening a bank account.

Here's a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M16ZatXbmLg
gmg
Activity: 108
Merit: 10
April 26, 2013, 12:27:45 PM
Some help please: I just created a wallet and have a few basic questions:
1. Does the wallet HAVE to be on their site? Can't it be a local one like bitcoin-qt?
You can change the storage to local. You can save your wallet in a file and load it from a file.

2. I posted my address on the forum to get some first coins and I'm waiting (hoping it works!). The other option in their site is to have another user send me 300 or more ripples. Why 300???
3. Is there any other way to get XRP? Any exchanges?
It used to be that 300 XRP was the practical minimum to open an account, create a pathway so your account could hold BTC, and then trade BTC for XRP. So with 300 XRP, you could buy all the XRP you wanted. The reserve levels lowered recently, so 100 XRP will do now.

You can buy XRP from Bitstamp, bitmit, xrptrader, and a few other places.

Thanks! So, once I get my first 100+ XRP, I can create a pathway and then trade BTC for XRP. Good, but what's a pathway???  Grin
Pages:
Jump to: